Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, the books write at the target level but not down at them, if you get what I'm trying to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

That kinda sounds great. I loved the books when I was a kid, and recently read one at a bookstore and realized the writing was far more weird and imaginative than I'd recalled.

Also the author gets brownie points because in a recent book George and Harold go to the future and meet themselves as grown-ups with kids of their own and one of them has a husband and it makes zero deal about it, which is nice :kiddo:

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, the books write at the target level but not down at them, if you get what I'm trying to say?

A mad scientist named Pippy P. Poopypants (his middle name is Peepee) is fun at any age.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dr. Poopypants is the villain of the movie, and his book had one of those initial-to-funny-name charts on it as a plot device, so that should be easy marketing on Twitter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Looper posted:

Is it opposite day in this post???
Shiny sucks bad, especially conpared to the rest of the music.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shiny is way out of tone for Moana but it's also the best part

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Shiny but it really doesn't fit in Moana at all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

So here's a pitch: a young woman is being held captive by a furry, and she starts developing Stockholm Syndrome.

Think it'll go anywhere?

That's a bad example because it sounds fantastic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Shiny is the best Disney song of the new era.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just got back from seeing MOana and...I didn't really care for it. I liked two (maybe three?) songs, the aforementioned Shiny (which felt really out of place in the film) and the Rock's You're Welcome, which had some clever bits. There was one of the flashback songs that started out in non-english about the people voyaging or something, and it was neat I suppose, just for the difference.

Visuals were gorgeous, though. Loved the water and hair and general colors, and thought Moana looked (and just generally as a character was) fantastic. The chicken was occasionally amusing as comic relief, but they went and made it a character and gave it way more screentime than its gags deserved. Its scenes overstayed.

A lot of the songs were sung immediately after the previous scene or bit and directly explained what the song was going on about, so it felt very repetitious. I can't really say at the moment why I wasn't grabbed by it, but many of the songs didn't help and made it drag.

Trolls did the music in the movie much more effectively (I'm not saying that movie had better songs, though)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Besides certain aspects of Maleficent, Disney's live-action reboots haven't been particularly compelling, but The Jungle Book is a new low. The '67 film isn't even that good, but Favreau's '16 film plays like a calculated to attempt to take something already fairly sanitary and make it 'less grimdark.'

edit:

Like, this is actually less interesting than the direct-to-video sequel to the '95 reboot.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched Freaks (1932). It's not animation, but I could see where a lot of the Looney Toons were inspired from.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a bad example because it sounds fantastic.
Sorry, let me revise: Hermione Granger is being held captive by a furry Matthew Crawley, and she starts developing Stockholm Syndrome. Bard the Bowman plays the boorish town hero trying to woo her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

*sobs* no one believed me that Trolls was pretty good :(

Hey, I thought Trolls would be pretty good when I first saw the trailers :colbert: and I was right too :smug:

I hope Trolls gets at least one sequel, it's a fun little felt world they've created and I wouldn't mind exploring it more.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shadow Hog posted:

Sorry, let me revise: Hermione Granger is being held captive by a furry Matthew Crawley, and she starts developing Stockholm Syndrome. Bard the Bowman plays the boorish town hero trying to woo her.

Now I'mjust disappointed because that still sounds more interesting than the trailer looked.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, I thought Trolls would be pretty good when I first saw the trailers :colbert: and I was right too :smug:

I hope Trolls gets at least one sequel, it's a fun little felt world they've created and I wouldn't mind exploring it more.

I hope they tie it in to Shrek 8.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

That's not really an accurate summary tho, since if it really was Hermione and Matthew Crawley, then Emma Watson would be able to do magic to defeat Dan Stevens and Dan Stevens would be uhh like his character is in the classic television show Downton Abbey which is where I assume that character is from because besides The Guest that's the only thing I ever hear mentioned with his name but I am NOT googling it to confirm because I'm feeling fairly confident on this one but the point is that as "the beast" his character is not the same as it is in the other show unless it is in which case the Hermione thing still applies. No idea who Bard the Bowman is but further research seems unlikely since usually if I held-touch on Bard the Bowman and hopex it highlighted correctly it probably wouldn't so I'd give it like 4 tries before I give up and hold-press the home button to bring up Google Now and type it in myself but the autosearch messes up all the time so then I gotta press the home button, open up the chrome app and do a Google through that (after opening a new tab, natch) and that's a little much. I think my point here is clear.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the summary where the candle fucks a broomstick and the chick fucks a giant moose-dog is more accurate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So mother got a collection of Woody Woodpecker shorts that's christmas-themed (though really, 1 was holiday themed, two of them were chilly willies, and one was tagentially Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and the last one not-related to any established characters)

The first lot was from a more modern series and took up the majority of the disk, which isn't what the cover would indicate.

The one with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - Toyland Premiere was such a god drat mess, it felt like they had six or seven ideas for a cartoon, and decided to just throw them all in. "Santa has a parade!" "Let's do a pastiche on celebrities!" "Let's have a toy battle!" "We better make sure we get Oswald in there"

and less said about the blackface the better.

EDIT: Holy, it wasn't even a caricature of a black celebrity, but a white man in black face - and yet they cut the bit with Laurel and Hardy getting cake in their face.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

K. Waste posted:

Besides certain aspects of Maleficent, Disney's live-action reboots haven't been particularly compelling, but The Jungle Book is a new low. The '67 film isn't even that good, but Favreau's '16 film plays like a calculated to attempt to take something already fairly sanitary and make it 'less grimdark.'

edit:

Like, this is actually less interesting than the direct-to-video sequel to the '95 reboot.

I saw it for the first time the other day and I was really disappointed, too. I was hoping it'd be more faithful to the original stories, like the old Russian one (which loving owns), but alas. Mowgli is still an idiot being dragged from one wacky adventure to the next. The animals are all weird and ugly, Shere Khan especially is a serious downgrade from the smooth dude he was in '67. Here he's just lumpy and unthreatening and not even the voice of Idris Elba can make him cool.

Christopher Walken singing was the bestworst thing, though. It almost made sitting through the rest of the movie worth it. Almost.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
moana owned, the jungle book owned

i can kinda understand complaints about Shere Khan being more animalistic than smooth and cunning but as someone who never read the source material I think that's fine and fits with the clash with nature thing the movie's going for more than "a gentleman but he's a tiger" would.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just watched Freaks (1932). It's not animation, but I could see where a lot of the Looney Toons were inspired from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH6nvPcV63k

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Koramei posted:

i can kinda understand complaints about Shere Khan being more animalistic than smooth and cunning but as someone who never read the source material I think that's fine and fits with the clash with nature thing the movie's going for more than "a gentleman but he's a tiger" would.

I'm all for gentlemen who are tigers

Moana in an hour :swoon:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

I'm all for gentlemen who are tigers

Moana in an hour :swoon:

Don't live comment on movies in theatres.

Unless you're, like, the only person there, then it's fine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm just spitballing ideas here, but tell me what you think of this:

Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast, but the character of the Beast is replaced wholesale with Jim Henson's Fozzy the Bear.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast, but the character of the Beast is replaced wholesale with Jim Henson's Fozzy the Bear.

It would be a masterpiece

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

i think I'd have a new favorite movie

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Koramei posted:

A more animalistic Shere Khan is more faithful to the source material, actually, but since they didn't bother with accuracy otherwise he just ends up being really dull next to characters like Baloo and Louie who act more like they did in the '67 version. And he's all puffy like he's got allergies or something.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

That is one of my favorite films although you have to view it in the lens of the period. It was critically savaged for daring the audience to see disabled people as fully human.

By the way, most people know it from this scene, which is referenced somewhat often. You may not have known from where!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Moana was so good holy crap :swoon:

I adored the songs, especially You're Welcome, Shiny, the one at the start when she's growing up, and the vision of the ancestors one. I'm going to be listening to the soundtrack every day on my trip to New Zealand (which starts on Wednesday :3:)

Boyfriend loved it too. I'm slowly indoctrinating him to love animation... first with Zootopia, and now this.

e: He's already doing his obsessive thing with musicals and looking up foreign language versions. I will now hear the Moana soundtrack in German and French (and possibly Cantonese) far more than I hear it in English.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

Moana was so good holy crap :swoon:

I adored the songs, especially You're Welcome, Shiny, the one at the start when she's growing up, and the vision of the ancestors one. I'm going to be listening to the soundtrack every day on my trip to New Zealand (which starts on Wednesday :3:)

Boyfriend loved it too. I'm slowly indoctrinating him to love animation... first with Zootopia, and now this.

I'm actually kind of shocked that How Far I'll Go isn't creeping into the social consciousness like Let It Go did. I know it's not as dirt simple or dumb but it's similarly catchy and feelgood.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Schwarzwald posted:

Awkward nerd who knows all he has to offer is his sense of humor, but isn't confident enough to really put in the work to be a good comedian. Blames a "spell" but it's really just his own lack of drive keeping him down. Sounds like an indie masterpiece.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schwarzwald posted:

Take any Disney film, but replace the animated characters with the Muppets. Now that they're a Disney property, this isn't even that far-fetched.

Squarely Circle posted:

A more animalistic Shere Khan is more faithful to the source material, actually, but since they didn't bother with accuracy otherwise he just ends up being really dull next to characters like Baloo and Louie who act more like they did in the '67 version. And he's all puffy like he's got allergies or something.

The new Jungle Book made all the villains more threatening than their 1967 counterparts. Kaa went from comic relief to genuinely unnerving temptress, and Louie has a physical presence to him that doesn't show up in any other adaptation. Shere Khan being more of a savage fits right in with that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Steve2911 posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked that How Far I'll Go isn't creeping into the social consciousness like Let It Go did. I know it's not as dirt simple or dumb but it's similarly catchy and feelgood.

It's just way too lyrically complicated to break through, I think. I'm not sure there are any repeated phrases, let alone a chorus that everyone knows even if they mmmmmm through the verses. But yeah, even past that, the exceedingly unremarkable song structure of Let it Go helps a lot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Speaking of which, this is nice if you haven't seen it before https://youtu.be/0g29Wg4oyek

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh that is neat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Steve2911 posted:

Also it's completely wholesome and cliched whereas Let It Go at least pretends to be a little bit subversive. Even kids pick up on that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also it's completely wholesome and cliched whereas Let It Go at least pretends to be a little bit subversive. Even kids pick up on that.

Lol if you think kids pay attention to lyrics - especially since it seems like you don't know the ones to How Far I'll Go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fangz posted:

Lol if you think kids pay attention to lyrics - especially since it seems like you don't know the ones to How Far I'll Go.

I looked them up before making the post. "I don't fit in here, I wanna do things" is not what I'm talking about.

Let It Go on the other hand is near-explicitly "gently caress consequences, I have the power."

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

Take any Disney film, but replace the animated characters with the Muppets. Now that they're a Disney property, this isn't even that far-fetched.
I'd watch Muppetopia.

I guess that's technically Fraggle Rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Thinking about watching Aladdin today. It's my favorite Disney film but I haven't actually watched it all the way through in years.

• Locked thread