Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Hedrigall posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Popeye but.. have you guys seen this clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

The animation is... inspired :aaa:

I want to see THIS movie finished so loving bad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

I want to see THIS movie finished so loving bad :(

It's ok, the trade-off is Samurai jack is back one last time :shobon:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I remember Fievel Goes West being a very pretty film, but I also haven't seen it in 15-20 years.
Rescuers Down Under though, I watched last year and it was beeyootiful. :swoon:

Marahute's Flight is just so drat gorgeous, and Fievel Goes West really has some nice desert scenery.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Norm of the North is currently sitting pretty at 0% on RT

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Anomalisa is loving great, I loving loved the entire thing. I loved it.

My favorite personal interpretation is that he is haunted by his own cultivated belief that people can be typified, and this idea becomes a disease and functional "entity".

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 17, 2016

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's even better is that it was sitting at 3% when I looked the other day, so I'm guessing one of the reviewers must have explicitly asked for their positive marked review to be changed to a negative.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And bucking the trend of most rotten movies I've seen, even the audience rating is rotten. 23%!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also true of last year's big January hit, Strange Magic (though 50 vs 23%).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pick posted:

Anomalisa is loving great, I loving loved the entire thing. I loved it.

My favorite personal interpretation is that he is haunted by his own cultivated belief that people can be typified, and this idea becomes a disease and functional "entity".

Please explain to me how this movie isn't trash. Because it's the first movie in forever that makes me viciously angry with how much I think it's a piece of poo poo. It really has nothing interesting about it other than realistic animation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

Please explain to me how this movie isn't trash. Because it's the first movie in forever that makes me viciously angry with how much I think it's a piece of poo poo. It really has nothing interesting about it other than realistic animation.

Have you ever seen the film Harold and Maude? I watched it probably three years ago, and still don't know if I like it. However, it's very very memorable, despite having almost nothing of substance happen in its entire duration, because the film is just bombarding you with possibilities and it's up for you to decide what information was relevant to you, and what your takeaway was. Like Harold and Maude, Anomalisa's message depends on what it was you brought to the table as a viewer; the film is a lens to consider your own perspective on things. To me, the biggest question is: what's happening to Michael? Why is he perceiving things this way? Do you even feel sorry for him? Is he doing this to himself? Do you feel sorry for him, even if he's doing this to himself?

That said, I loving despise Lost in Translation, which people told me was similar. That is a film where I would argue nothing loving happens.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Anomalisa would have been my favorite film of last year is The Look of Silence had also not come out last year. The more I think about it the more content it just seems to have. There's just so many ways to look at it and interpret it, all of which I find pretty interesting. I like it as a response to indie pixie movies. You have a well off white guy who is in a horrible rut and he meets a girl and thinks it will change everything and free him but the depression is coming from within and his hell is self created. It's not going to be magically saved from some outside source but instead the depression is going to poison and bring down any potential light that comes his way. Any way I look at the movie it just feels like such a brutal and frank look at depression; one that is not willing to let the depressed person off the hook for their problems just because they're depressed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Any way I look at the movie it just feels like such a brutal and frank look at depression; one that is not willing to let the depressed person off the hook for their problems just because they're depressed.

Yeah, the scene where he calls up and then meets his ex-girlfriend is punishing, the film encourages you to see her as a "non-person" like he does, but he's so unbelievably cruel without intending to be.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I finally sat down and watched The Book of Life. It was enjoyable! Some of the jokes really knocked it out of the park for me, though the pacing of the movie in general felt kinda awkward. At times it seemed rushed, and at times it felt sluggish. I didn't mind the framing device; based on remarks made here, I was expecting it to be really obnoxious, but for me it didn't detract enough from the "main story." Very pretty film, if very predictable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

my cat is norris posted:

I finally sat down and watched The Book of Life. It was enjoyable! Some of the jokes really knocked it out of the park for me, though the pacing of the movie in general felt kinda awkward. At times it seemed rushed, and at times it felt sluggish. I didn't mind the framing device; based on remarks made here, I was expecting it to be really obnoxious, but for me it didn't detract enough from the "main story." Very pretty film, if very predictable.

In retrospect I've come to accept that, objectively speaking, The Book of Life is full of things that people have a right to find obnoxious.

I just don't, for some reason, and what remains is a lovely movie. v:shobon:v

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Book of Life's biggest sin wasn't the frame device. That was harmless.

It was the excessive non sequitur jokes, the "punch ups" that often took all emotion and dignity out of a scene in favor of a fleeting gag.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but it could have been so much more.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I completely agree, it was a movie littered with dumb punch-up which detracted from the legitimate strength of many of its scenes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ConfusedUs posted:

Book of Life's biggest sin wasn't the frame device. That was harmless.

It was the excessive non sequitur jokes, the "punch ups" that often took all emotion and dignity out of a scene in favor of a fleeting gag.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but it could have been so much more.

A lot of the punch-ups came from cutaways to the framing device, though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The use of anachronistic music in period pieces always breaks immersion for me. I feel like Book of Life had other pop culture references, too, but I can't remember any specifically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

The use of anachronistic music in period pieces always breaks immersion for me. I feel like Book of Life had other pop culture references, too, but I can't remember any specifically.

There was the hilariously miscast Ice Cube making a "Today Was A Good Day" reference.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

A lot of the punch-ups came from cutaways to the framing device, though.

I would disagree, a lot of it comes from completely unnecessary characters (like the grandfather). The framing device does have a point about the relevance of Mexican culture, the goofy dumb side characters do nothing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Small teaser for Moana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRus-0hOUo

The trailer is apparently coming with Zootopia.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Maui looks like a big honking troll doll and I am very upset.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I can understand that. The humor didn't always work for me. For the most part, though, it didn't bug me enough to take me out of the movie. To each his own!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Disney movie surfers still exist?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is that their version of AV Club or something?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

computer parts posted:

Small teaser for Moana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRus-0hOUo

The trailer is apparently coming with Zootopia.

This reminded how Princess and the Frog failed at the box office, which was a shame because it seemed like a perfectly good Disney movie; does anyone know why that was? Was it seriously just the black Disney princess that turned people off?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hated the drat animals, which took up the bulk of the film. Charlotte and Doctor Facilier were great, though.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I imagine it was a combination of:

- Seemingly feminine content
- Seemingly 'for blacks'
- Deceptively obnoxious advertisements
- A sour taste from much of Disney's post-2000 content (not titled Lilo and Stich or Emperor's New Groove)
- A younger generation of cartoon watchers who have had most of their lives have animation visually defined as 'CGI', and would classify PatF as 'not for' them.
- A film running head first into a post-recession and heavily depressed market
- Increasingly political landscape that would take a glance at such a toothless-but-socially-conscious film and declare it an attack on their values. Especially right after Disney released Wall-E, a film that declared wastefulness is bad, and was lambasted as leftist propaganda by some groups.

So it was a film that at nearly every step of creation and marketing just another act of exclusion to a wide audience, i.e. dumb animals that sadly have to be coddled and protected from the scary world of outside the middle class. It's probably why every film since has had such a non-descriptive, gender neutral title, with advertisements that seem to be doing their best to represent as little of the film as possible. Thus we end up with a film, based on The Ice Queen reinterpreted as a treaties on emotional maturity and sisterly love, being promoted as a snowman romping around in the family film 'Frozen', and made a bajzillion dollars because it's protagonists were white.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wouldn't call Princess and the Frog a financial failure. It grossed $100 million in North America, more than most of the other 2D films Disney released in the 2000s (I think only Lilo & Stitch was more succesful).

Though apparently the marketing department was concerned that having Princess in the title would scare away potential viewers who'd think the film was solely meant for young girls. So who knows, it might have been more succesful with a different title.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 19, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
they should have named it Frogged

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Troposphere posted:

they should have named it Frogged

This but unironically

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Surprised Moana's not named Beached.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Peter Schneider posted:

Walt Disney PICTURES

INTER-OFFICE COMMUNICATION

TO: ANIMATION DEPARTMENT
DATE: February 13, 1986
SUBJECT:

Along with the new title for "Basil of Baker Street" it has been decided to re-name the entire library of animated classics. The new titles are as follows...

"SEVEN LITTLE MEN HELP A GIRL"

"THE WOODEN BOY WHO BECAME REAL"

"COLOR AND MUSIC"

"THE WONDERFUL ELEPHANT WHO COULD REALLY FLY"

"THE LITTLE DEER WHO GREW UP"

"THE GIRL WITH THE SEE-THROUGH SHOES"

"THE GIRL IN THE IMAGINARY WORLD"

"THE AMAZING FLYING CHILDREN"

"TWO DOGS IN LOVE"

"THE GIRL WHO SEEMED TO DIE"

"PUPPIES TAKEN AWAY"

"THE BOY WHO WOULD BE KING"

"A BOY, A BEAR AND A BIG BLACK CAT"

"ARISTOCATS"

"ROBIN HOOD WITH ANIMALS"

"TWO MICE SAVE A GIRL"

"A FOX AND A HOUND ARE FRIENDS"

"THE EVIL BONEHEAD"

And of course our latest classic destined to win the hearts of the american public...

"THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I love that Aristocats is the same

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Poor Three Caballeros, never getting the respect it deserves.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Das Boo posted:

I hated the drat animals, which took up the bulk of the film. Charlotte and Doctor Facilier were great, though.

The joke with the alligator is the funniest in the whole film though

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Princess and the Frog is a solid film and it makes me sad that it doesn't get the love it deserves.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I imagine it was a combination of:

- Seemingly feminine content
- Seemingly 'for blacks'
- Deceptively obnoxious advertisements
- A sour taste from much of Disney's post-2000 content (not titled Lilo and Stich or Emperor's New Groove)
- A younger generation of cartoon watchers who have had most of their lives have animation visually defined as 'CGI', and would classify PatF as 'not for' them.
- A film running head first into a post-recession and heavily depressed market
- Increasingly political landscape that would take a glance at such a toothless-but-socially-conscious film and declare it an attack on their values. Especially right after Disney released Wall-E, a film that declared wastefulness is bad, and was lambasted as leftist propaganda by some groups.

Two things I'd add to this list:

First, what kid cares about the New Orleans setting?

Secondly, the music was mediocre. Almost There was featured in one of the trailers and I cringed upon hearing it for the first time. It was bland.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I liked Friends On the Other Side. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

Two things I'd add to this list:

First, what kid cares about the New Orleans setting?

Secondly, the music was mediocre. Almost There was featured in one of the trailers and I cringed upon hearing it for the first time. It was bland.

What kid cared about Arabia, or the Savannah, or Paris, or China, or Australia, or

• Locked thread