Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Welcome to Hello From the Magic Tavern! This is a fantastic improv comedy podcast. The premise is that Chicago resident Arnie Niekamp, married with a baby, fell through a portal behind a Burger King and landed in the magical land of Foon.

Fortunately he had his podcasting equipment in his trunk and found refuge at the Vermilion Minotaur tavern, where he befriended the shapeshifter Chunt (played by Adal Rifai, usually in badger form) and the wizard Usidore (played by Matt Young) who are his regular co-hosts. It's worth tuning in for Usidore's bombast alone.

All of the cast members are improv veterans and it is wonderful to hear them build the in-universe lore week by week. They usually have a guest comedian playing a fantasy character such as sports commissioner Larry Birdman, Krom the Barbarian, and two giant eagles who keep saving Usidore at the last minute. If you're asking if it is strange that Arnie would spend so much time podcasting rather than trying to get home to his wife and newborn daughter... you'd be right, and Chunt gives him grief for his terrible priorities.

New listeners should definitely start at the first episode, and here are some of my favorites so far:

Episode 4: The FML (They provide the rules to Foon's greatest sport: the Foon Mittens League)
Episode 5: Foon's Greatest Swordman(Usidore's tale of battling small blue people is amazing)
Episode 32: Offices & Bosses (Might be the best episode yet, I was laughing like a loon)

Links!
Hello from the Magic Tavern homepage (Arnie insists that puppies.supplies is a real URL)
Buzzfeed review with lots of fan art
Write up in Chicago Reader: Behold! The off-the-wall, always-growing world of Hello From the Magic Tavern

More fan art from McKilligan!:

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Someone (maybe you mojo?) brought this up on another RGD thread and I checked it out because I liked the logo. I've never liked fantasy stuff, or larp, or MTG etc and my finger was hovering a millimeter above the stop button a minute in, because I thought it was going to be a "straight man character deadpans amidst goonery" cheesefest with references I wouldn't get. But I listened to the rest of the first three episodes and it's really cute and funny and I'll probably rip through the series if it stays as good as it seems like it will.

If you like Comedy Bang Bang you'll prob get a kick out of it, to me it sounds like they're entertaining each other and that makes it more fun to listen to. If you're like me you'll be tempted to turn it off when the one dudes starts the old over-dramatic Shakespearean actor accent shtick but it's worth sticking with it from what I can tell so far.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The CBB comparison is pretty apt. The main difference being that Magic Tavern has a "plot" kind of, which honestly probably makes it that much more addicting.

hoobastank

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh yeah it is similar to CBB, which is great too. I like that Magic Tavern has lesser known comedians as no one is plugging a new show or coasting on celebrity, and the continuing plot is awesome (I really like the intro/outro segments). Plus the half hour or so episodes make it much easier to binge.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah I randomly tried it after seeing it on the iTunes top comedy podcast app and really like it. I think I can do Usadore's intro from memory now.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm about ten episodes in and enjoying it. A lot more character-based humor than wacky misunderstandings and references, which is what I was hoping for. Plus, you just can't go wrong with Pimbly Nimblebottom.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I want to make sure that the true URL for the website is in the op: puppies.supplies

I've been really impressed at their ability to keep the lore they make up almost completely straight, even the guest stars! Little details like the name of the play they made up coming up organically two dozen episodes later must be really hard to do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nemico posted:

I want to make sure that the true URL for the website is in the op: puppies.supplies

I've been really impressed at their ability to keep the lore they make up almost completely straight, even the guest stars! Little details like the name of the play they made up coming up organically two dozen episodes later must be really hard to do.

Hahaha I didn't know that puppies.supplies WAS a real site. Good catch, I added that to the op.

Yeah, their callbacks to their own lore is one of the best parts! I like how Chunt's offhand random jokes become full episodes, like the Chunt for Red October.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

New listeners should definitely start at the first episode, and here are some of my favorites so far:

Episode 4: The FML (They provide the rules to Foon's greatest sport: the Foon Mittens League)
Episode 5: Foon's Greatest Swordman(Usidore's tale of battling small blue people is amazing)
Episode 32: Offices & Bosses (Might be the best episode yet, I was laughing like a loon)

Can the Wizard is pretty great, entire episode of Chunt giving Arnie poo poo for being bad at improv. Both episodes with Flower are amazing, she should be a permanent co-host.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It would be great if by the end of the podcast arno completed a hero's journey. He's almost half-way there!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm getting kinda sick of everybody being incredibly nasty and mean to Arnie, even though Arnie is pretty lovely at improv. I am just finishing episode 22, and they kinda kick him around ALL the time. Does this ever chill out?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I'm getting kinda sick of everybody being incredibly nasty and mean to Arnie, even though Arnie is pretty lovely at improv. I am just finishing episode 22, and they kinda kick him around ALL the time. Does this ever chill out?

I enjoy that as part of the humor. I don't think the other actors are being jerks to the real Arnie, they tease the exaggerated fictional version of himself that fell through a portal. The angle developed as they established that Arnie left behind his wife and baby and didn't seem to be upset or working on a solution to get home. It's great when a new fantastical guest learns of Arnie's plight and calls him out on his warped priorities.

The character of Arnie is not a good person, he mooched off Chunt until moving into the tavern's best room for free by tricking the bar owner into accepting a worthless trade (ads for the tavern that no one in Foon can hear.) Arnie refuses to work or make a serious effort to use his laptop to contact his family. He refuses to attend Chunt's Night for selfish reasons.

As a source of humor this works great as it subverts the normal expectation that a visitor to a foreign land would use the tavern to gather a party to defeat the Dark Lord with the ultimate goal of earning his way home. Instead he is still in the tavern, not growing as a person or being any closer to accomplishing anything.

I think (real) Arnie is a fine improviser, it's less obvious as the he's the straight man and the framing device is having other actors make up Foon lore for him. When he got to play "Can the Wizard" it showed he was great at making up backstories on the spot.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 16, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the joke is that Arnie's kinda a douchebag. He comes to a magic rear end fantastic world and instead of trying to get home, or even enjoying it, he just kinda wants to hang out doing a podcast and mooching off his few magical friends he has. They bust on him because it's funny for a magic elf to say 'oh, strange man from a world far away, you kinda suck'.

The actual Arnie is very funny and fun.

e: Also I'd add Pimbly Nimblebottom to the 'good to listen to to get a feel of the show' list.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm blasting through the episodes. Only on Episode 23 right now, and 22 so far has to be the best. Nothing tops an episode full of Smashmouth references.
Edit: Now an episode of Eagles references and an episode of rap group references. Motherfuckers!

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 19, 2016

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm working my way through as well. It took a few episodes to get going but I'm enjoying it. I just finished the Krom episode. When he mentioned fingering a bear in his dream I almost ran off the road. I think he got everyone laughing as well.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Arnie's quest to recover the magic sword from the dungeon is great, I like how he nearly became the first adventurer ever to lose to Klax the skeleton (even though Klax was letting him win), and then Arnie returned to the tavern to continue his training by eating five sandwiches.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the bards tribute song slowly transitioning into actual hoobastank is probably the finest comedy moment ever to be in a podcast

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm about halfway through right now. Some of the gags are great. I don't know why I lost it with the Carnie Wilson joke.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Zonen Hoobastank

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The episode where the guy makes up a sport on the fly is amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you like D&D and junk the magic tavern dudes did a crossover with One Shot, a great tabletop podcast that...well...plays one shot games of RPGs. They play a game set in 'Foon 16' a dimension similar but in no way related to Foon Prime of course using the Dungeon World system. One Shot is done by other Chicago improv people so spoiler alert it's mainly just them riffing on eachother with the occasional 'oh right we're playing a game we should roll dice' moments.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This podcast is right on the cusp of me dropping it, all the time. But then they deliver something laugh-out-loud funny and win me back over.

I guess I'll keep letting a magical wizard scream at me on my way to work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you like D&D and junk the magic tavern dudes did a crossover with One Shot, a great tabletop podcast that...well...plays one shot games of RPGs. They play a game set in 'Foon 16' a dimension similar but in no way related to Foon Prime of course using the Dungeon World system. One Shot is done by other Chicago improv people so spoiler alert it's mainly just them riffing on eachother with the occasional 'oh right we're playing a game we should roll dice' moments.

Holy cow, good find! This is fantastic, I lost it when Usidore started using a soul gem. And when Arnold failed a charisma check to defend himself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Holy cow, good find! This is fantastic, I lost it when Usidore started using a soul gem. And when Arnold failed a charisma check to defend himself.

Yea One Shot is great, and if you like Star Wars they do a full on campaign of that called...Campaign.

The moral choice involving cute rabbits in vests that may or may not be the victims of goblin insurance scams was easily the most Foon possible encounter.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Finally caught up with all of the episodes. I love that Chunt and Usidore, specially Usidore, can keep in character so well even when they say crazy poo poo.

Also came across this in the D&D artwork thread.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

calandryll posted:

Finally caught up with all of the episodes. I love that Chunt and Usidore, specially Usidore, can keep in character so well even when they say crazy poo poo.

Also came across this in the D&D artwork thread.

I drew that earlier this week, nice to see it popping up here too!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

McKilligan posted:

That is fantastic, good work! I like all the attention to detail, with the goat, the coin imp, and the weird waiter. I added it to the first post.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This podcast is good, and funny, and anyone considering listening to it should listen to it. I did!

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Anyone got a link to the RSS feed?
http://feedpress.me/magictavern

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 2, 2016

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

This is filling the hole left by nerd poker.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

McKilligan posted:

No tiny horse with two buttholes, 3/5

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Seriously great podcast. I'm only 14 episodes in, and it's tied with McElroy podcasts for laugh-out-loud jokes. Drunk Flower is best flower.

Hoobastank!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,is the site unavailable for anyone else? Because I can't get it up on either Chrome or Palemoon.

Edit: now it works again? I don't even

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 4, 2016

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
In the most recent episode, Arnie's realization of how much time he wasted on "Feline Zelig" when "Gas My Anus" was there the whole time was priceless.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

In the most recent episode, Arnie's realization of how much time he wasted on "Feline Zelig" when "Gas My Anus" was there the whole time was priceless.

Hahaha yeah, his priorities remain terrible. The One Shot episodes are amazing, I liked how upon leaving the tavern Chunt's main goal is to murder Arnold. It's ridiculous how good they are at keeping track of details even in the alternate dimension. (Dark Master, Rainbow Cups, Spintax the Emerald...)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
krom's dream journal is sublime poetry

"and then i finger bear"

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
This is really giving me some adventure time vibes. If any podcast called for an animated adaptation, its this one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

krom's dream journal is sublime poetry

"and then i finger bear"

I just finished that one, and am very happy that Krom was able to work through his feelings with the guys.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A triangle of buttholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

The worst thing possible has happened to me, I binged and now I'm all caught up.

• Locked thread