Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sigma posted:

So what happened to Tom Phillips? Is he ok?

He entered a cocoon and emerged as Mauro Renallo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jesus how do they gently caress up the booking for the Rumble.

It's the easiest match in the world to book.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sigma posted:

So what happened to Tom Phillips? Is he ok?

tom phillips stood in his interview stance for too long and his legs are stuck that way he needs surgery

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

NickRoweFillea posted:

So it's the 1992 rumble stip?
Pretty much, even though the title was vacant in 1992

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sigma posted:

Brock wins the Rumble for the title, then Roman goes over at Mania clean as a sheet.

down

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

GrimGypsy posted:

Right, it wasn't an extremely obvious 'THIS is the guy you'll cheer for, dammit!" situation

Because he was a heel

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what's Shinsuke's stupid NXT name and ORIENT.MID theme going to be?

Just one long loop of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_NkPCkl4c

For both his name and music

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Same. Brock/Roman was a top 5 Maina ME and I'd love to see a rematch without Rollins involved (that finish looks so bad in retrospect)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GrimGypsy posted:

Right, it wasn't an extremely obvious 'THIS is the guy you'll cheer for, dammit!" situation, and the fans were already red hot for him by the time he was in the main event.

I'm sorry my typo triggered you.

He spent 5 minutes beating up a man with broken ribs and who didn't get a lick of offense because he was writhing in pain on a mat.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus how do they gently caress up the booking for the Rumble.

It's the easiest match in the world to book.

Correction: it's the hardest match to book. It's the easiest match to gently caress up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Kinda hosed up if you think that a heel beating up the valiant babyface is a situation the heel should ever be cheered in, tbh.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

ayn rand hand job posted:

Kinda hosed up if you think that a heel beating up the valiant babyface is a situation the heel should ever be cheered in, tbh.

What? He's right, Vince didn't want us to cheer Austin so it was organic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetfire posted:

Correction: it's the hardest match to book. It's the easiest match to gently caress up.

yea in what world is the rumble easy to book. You have to manage both the 'stars' and the funny guys/veterans, you have to make sure the winner looks tough without making it not exciting, and no matter what you pick there's gonna be someone really pissed you didn't pick some random rear end in a top hat who's had like two matches

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just one long loop of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_NkPCkl4c

For both his name and music

A marked improvement to his current theme.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can't wait for Triple H to sign Cheeseburger.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Ah yes, valiant babyface Jake Roberts, whom the company was surely ready to hitch their wagon to in the late '90s. Austin got over organically, over time, and the crowd was ready and willing to accept him as the top face by the time his inevitable turn came. Roman is beginning to get over now in the void of other top stars, but only after being slammed in our faces nonstop for a year or so.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I hope Owens wins the Rumble because then my crazy prediction of Owens vs Reigns as the Mania Main Event will be right.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Are they putting Reigns over the entire roster now? Hahahahaha

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
We don't know that and you don't know that, but if it truly makes you so happy to imagine so, knock yourself out.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I am free from the curse of watching WWE so really I just want them to take the funniest option.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They knew :cry:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chromatic posted:

Are they putting Reigns over the entire roster now? Hahahahaha
Yeah Roman is totally just going to chuck 29 people out of the ring by himself

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Same. Brock/Roman was a top 5 Maina ME and I'd love to see a rematch without Rollins involved (that finish looks so bad in retrospect)

rollins reign may not have been great but it was better than giving roman the belt before he was actually hot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

rollins reign may not have been great but it was better than giving roman the belt before he was actually hot

I think the long heel reign that nobody was interested in was the biggest reason TV business was so bad. Plus it turns out that Seth wasn't good in that role anyway though it's not like we knew that at the time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GrimGypsy posted:

Ah yes, valiant babyface Jake Roberts, whom the company was surely ready to hitch their wagon to in the late '90s. Austin got over organically, over time, and the crowd was ready and willing to accept him as the top face by the time his inevitable turn came. Roman is beginning to get over now in the void of other top stars, but only after being slammed in our faces nonstop for a year or so.

The reality is that none of this is worth arguing over. WWE has made it completely clear that everything is The Roman Reigns Show for the foreseeable future and the fans can take it or leave it, they don't give a poo poo, it's just how it is. No one should be surprised at this point. gently caress, the return of John Cena last week was largely used to put over Roman, in a match that didn't even involve Reigns. Vince came out of TV retirement to put him over. Roman being the New Guy, consequences be damned, has been blatantly told to us for like a year now and as much as large chunks of the audience (including me) may have hoped they'd change course, it is set in absolute loving stone and has been ever since Vince decided Roman was pretty.

The situation is just that if you aren't down with having this untalented lump be the dominant focus of the show, it's time to stop watching RAW and check out something else. There's plenty of good wrestling out there, check out ROH, keep watching NXT, watch NJPW until WWE raids it into the ground, get your hands on some PWG, check out LU when it comes back at the end of the month. Read WWE recaps in case some amazing thing happens and maybe check out the Rumble because that's usually fun regardless of how poo poo the ending may be, but there's a point where it's time to figure out that the weekly product may just not be for you and that isn't going to change. And I don't mean just because of Reigns, but look at all the other lovely lazy booking, the chronic misuse of talent, that everything still ends up being about the McMahons in some form or another...it goes on and on. I mean, judging from the fierce defense of the booking by some people in this thread, there are still some folks who are fully enjoying the product, but for me it's gotten to the point where it's not even entertaining enough to have fun heckling it and there's really no use fighting against it.

Motherfucker.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Oh did Roman become a bad wrestler again, I had no idea he's had a lot of really good matches in a row

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Alain Post posted:

I think the long heel reign that nobody was interested in was the biggest reason TV business was so bad. Plus it turns out that Seth wasn't good in that role anyway though it's not like we knew that at the time.

Rollins was like, the only decent thing in this company for a year straight and it's a shame WWE completely forgot how to book not-terrible television during that time period and that had nothing to do with Rollins himself.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

I think the long heel reign that nobody was interested in was the biggest reason TV business was so bad.

it was the booking yo, rollins was fine before it and cut off at the knees because they couldn't decide whether he should be a strong heel who also cheats or a coward so they switched back and forth. 2015 did nobody any favors. ratings didnt get really bad until he was feuding with kane and getting chumped out on a weekly basis

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Alain Post posted:

Everyone wanted a long heel reign, they just wanted a heel that wasn't made to look like an idiot, a chump and inferior to every one of his opponents month after month so when he was finally beaten for the belt it would mean something. Rollins wasn't the best at WRESTLING like a heel, but he was kneecapped by his booking.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

it was the booking yo, rollins was fine before it and cut off at the knees because they couldn't decide whether he should be a strong heel who also cheats or a coward so they switched back and forth. 2015 did nobody any favors

i don't know, man, some of that was the booking (it's ridiculous that Rollins' strong babyface opponents were like, Sting and loving Kane), but a lot of that "can't decide what kind of heel he should be" would have been fixed if his matches were laid out better, and a lot of that is on him imo. Like the one time he faced a strong babyface in Cena in a PPV main event, and what does he do? He wrestles babyface and Cena wrestles heel. Like what the hell.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's kind of funny how, for as bad as Seth looked for a lot of his main event heel run, Sheamus' run has been so much worse.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what's Shinsuke's stupid NXT name and ORIENT.MID theme going to be?

Nakasuke Shinmura, Emperor of Powerful Form and his theme is BABYMETAL

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rhonne posted:

It's kind of funny how, for as bad as Seth looked for a lot of his main event heel run, Sheamus' run has been so much worse.

At least Sheamus successfully put someone over.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
if it's not Daisuke Takakura then I'll eat my hat

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Sigma posted:

Brock wins the Rumble for the title, then Roman goes over at Mania clean as a sheet.

Roman Reigns is gonna beat Flair's number of title reigns by next Mania at this rate

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

it was the booking yo, rollins was fine before it and cut off at the knees because they couldn't decide whether he should be a strong heel who also cheats or a coward so they switched back and forth. 2015 did nobody any favors. ratings didnt get really bad until he was feuding with kane and getting chumped out on a weekly basis

The best part of all that was that month long Kane feud where Seth got his rear end kicked week after week, then won cleanly at the PPV.

It would have made perfect sense...if the heel/face roles were reversed.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Guys I'm gonna say something you all are gonna hate.

I don't particularly care for Shinsuke Nakamura. He's a good wrestler and all that but I don't get a "stylish" vibe off him so much as a "sleezy weirdo" vibe

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I don't see Haitch passing up the opportunity to 1. win a third Rumble and 2. be the only other guy besides Flair to win the title in the Rumble. Or, for that matter, another Mania main event.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Shinsuke Saotome, representing the Saotome School of Anything-Goes Martial Arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Like the one time he faced a strong babyface in Cena in a PPV main event, and what does he do? He wrestles babyface and Cena wrestles heel. Like what the hell.

Imagine the Brooklyn crowd if Cena had done his usual type of act. For what they had at Summerslam this was probably the better option and I'm sure Cena was part of the reason why they did the match like that.

• Locked thread