Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Macross Δ (マクロスΔ Makurosu Deruta)
sci-fi, space opera, mecha, idols, romance

Producer: Bandai Visual, flying DOG
Studio: Satelight

The next installment in the Macross franchise, Macross Delta is scheduled to run in Spring 2016, with a preview special version of episode 1 out already to ring in the new year.

Set 8 years after the events of Macross Frontier (year 2067), the show follows Walküre (a tag-team of jpop idols and Valkyre pilots), Delta Squadron (some good-rear end valkyrie pilots), and the spooky mysterious Aerial Knights (even more Valkyrie pilots but this time from the Kingdom of Wind) as they battle against the Var Syndrome and each other.

Staff & Cast:

Original Creators: Shōji Kawamori/Studio Nue
Director: Kenji Yasuda
Series Script Supervisor: Toshizo Nemoto
Original Character Design: Chisato Mita (CAPCOM)
Character Design/Chief Animation Directors: Majiro/Yuu Shindou
Animation Production: Satelight
Chief Director: Shōji Kawamori

Color Key Artist: Kanako Hayashi
Art Directors: Shigemi Ikeda (Atelier Musa), Yukiko Maruyama (Atelier Musa)
Worldview Design: Thomas Romain
Art Design: Vincento Niemu
Valkyrie Design: Shoji Kawamori
Mechanic Design: Stanislas Brunet
Director of Photography: Atsushi Iwasaki (T2 Studio)
CG Director: Hironori Morino
CG Supervisor: Hiroyuki Kashima (unknownCASE)
CG Animation Director: Atsushi Sakiyama (unknownCASE)
Editor: Kentarou Tsubone (REAL-T)
Sound Production: Flying Dog
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima

Availability:

Crunchyroll: ???
Hulu: ???
Daisuki: ???
Other: Yeah

Characters:

Main Characters

There's your run-of-the-mill MC whose good at his job but lazy and always hungry, wannabe best girl contender who ran away from home to audition for American Idol, and cop lady, who busts MC and FEMC doing something lewd.

Hayate Immelman (ハヤテ・インメルマン Hayate Inmeruman)
Voiced by: Yūma Uchida

Freyja Wion (フレイア・ヴィオン Fureia Vion)
Voiced by: Minori Suzuki

Mirage Farina Jenius (ミラージュ・ファリーナ・ジーナス Miraaju Fariina Jiinasu)
Voiced by: Asami Seto

Walküre

J-pop waifus operating defensive technology beyond your wildest dreams and saving the universe with the power of song!

Mikumo Guynemer (美雲・ギンヌメール Mikumo Ginnumeeru)
Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu

Kaname Buccaneer (カナメ・バッカニア Kaname Bakkania)
Voiced by: Kiyono Yasuno

Makina Nakajima (マキナ・中島 Makina Nakajima)
Voiced by: Nozomi Nishida

Reina Prowler (レイナ・プラウラー Reina Purauraa)
Voiced by: Nao Toyama

Delta Squadron

They're the good guy military pilots.

Chuck Mustang (チャック・マスタング Chakku Masutangu)
Voiced by: Shinji Kawada

Messer Ihlefeld (メッサー・イーレフェルト Messaa Iireferuto)
Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama

Arad Moelders (アラド・メルダース Arado Merudaasu)
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa

Ernest Johnson (アーネスト・ジョンソン Aanesuto Jonson)
Voiced by: Unshō Ishizuka

Aerial Knights

Highly organized and super skilled variable fighter pilots invading from the Kingdom of Wind, who are totally not in any way like the Vers Empire from Aldnoah Zero.

Roid Brehm (ロイド・ブレーム Roido Bureemu)
Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa

Keith Aero Windermere (キース・エアロ・ウィンダミア Kiisu Earo Windamia)
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura

Bogue Con-Vaart (ボーグ・コンファールト Boogu Konfaaruto)
Voiced by: KENN

Theo Jussila (テオ・ユッシラ Teo Yusshira)
Voiced by: Kei Minegishi

Xao Jussila (ザオ・ユッシラ Zao Yusshira)
Voiced by: Kei Minegishi

Zentradi

They're back baby, but with a twist!

Mecha

VF-31 Siegfried
A cross between the YF-30 Chronos and the VF-19 from Macross Plus. It has built in gun ports in the arms and its wingtips transform in flight so it can pull some mad cool moves on bad guys.

Sv-262 Draken III
Crazy new delta wing design and opaque cockpit. This poo poo is somethin new!

Regult 104s
They're Zentradi Regult 104s.

PVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKiLsbWiHY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8-5LV0uPE

Should I watch this?

Did you like Macross 2? How about J-Pop? Yeah?
Judging by the first episode, Macross Delta is shaping up to be a show about jap idols, music videos, and a occasionally really heavy mecha combat, so if those things get you going, check this out.

Do I need to watch other Macross before I watch this?

no, each show is generally self contained enough so that you can pick up the franchise wherever you want really.

However it would be a good idea to check these out beforehand:
Macross: Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross Frontier

You've got time. The next episode aint comin out til April.

Gihon fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Delta looks great and has a fun preview episode with a song that's been playing constantly, whether in my head or on my computer, since I watched it, but this seems a bit premature.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Delta looks great and has a fun preview episode with a song that's been playing constantly, whether in my head or on my computer, since I watched it, but this seems a bit premature.

don't you think with the preview ver of ep 1 and a shitton of info about the series out already, that we could maybe talk about it?

what did you like about the first ep?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like our leads. He's snarky in a fun-to-watch way, she's energetic and optimistic in an endearing way, and that latter normally isn't my favorite sort of lead. All the action is ridiculous, and a bit hard to follow, whether it's the dogfighting or the songfighting, but it's fun. I like the songs well enough, particularly Ikenai BORDERLINE, which seems to have a strange power over me. The songfighting is particularly ridiculous, and I'm curious if they'll try to explain why it's a good idea to jump around outside of any sort of vehicle, and why, given that it is apparently a good idea, they bother with the dogfighting. I'd be OK with them asking the audience to just roll with it, though, I'm in this for the spectacle, I think. I like the glimpse of the enemy pilots we got, they seem like a good haughty bunch, the sort of villains I like to watch when they're winning and like to watch when they're losing. The pacing is a bit wonky. They seemed to feel a need to put everything into it, which leaves nothing time to breathe, and I feel they've told us too much of what's going on it too short a time.

These are my disorganized thoughts on the preview. Hopefully they'll iron out some of the kinks by the time it comes for the series to actually air. Oh, and the dancing robots are wonderful, whether it's our male lead pirouetting while he works or the Delta folks doing their synchronized number.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Macross: Do You Remember Love Live.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Daedalus1134 posted:

Macross: Do You Remember Love Live.

For some reason Plex thinks my copy of the Love Live movie is Robotech: Love Live Alive

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno if it is just their outfits or what, but 3/5 of the idols in that picture look like little girls.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Serious Frolicking posted:

i dunno if it is just their outfits or what, but 3/5 of the idols in that picture look like little girls.

SPOILER ALERT: 3/5 of those idols probably are little girls.

In fact, this being anime, 5/5 of them probably are, it's just that two of them inexplicably look about a decade too old.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I think the canon ages are, left to right in that picture, something like 16, classified, 15, 22, and 14. I forget where exactly I read this to double check, but I'm pretty sure the pink one is supposed to be early 20s, and Mikumo's is basically classified/unknown at the moment.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

No, wait, I found it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-26/macross-delta-anime-pilots-teased-with-link-to-original-macross-character-max/.96889

If this is correct the canon ages are:

Mikumo/dark one is unknown age. Probably a 2000 year old space dragon idol singer with a mysterious past.

Freya/red one/main character is 14

Kaname/green one with red hair is 22

Makina/pink one is 18

Reina/green one with green hair is 15

Kylra fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 5, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really never liked the macross shows in which the idol singers were also pilots, so I'm going to have to get over my intrinsic dislike of the concept when watching this show.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Good news: they don't seem to be the pilots. Each of them is paired with their own pilot.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I care a lot about anime character ages, because they aren't just made-up numbers.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what lewd thing are the mc and femc doing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kylra posted:

Good news: they don't seem to be the pilots. Each of them is paired with their own pilot.

That's good news? It'd be far more entertaining if they were the pilots. Embrace the absurdity.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I care a lot about anime character ages, because they aren't just made-up numbers.
I was curious mostly because I was wondering what kind of demographic was the target and what kind of direction the story might take.

Davincie posted:

what lewd thing are the mc and femc doing
Trust exercises.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

GIRI GIRI AI

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

That's good news? It'd be far more entertaining if they were the pilots. Embrace the absurdity.
It means we get more dancing and mech surfing.

It would be cool they do end up doing a piloting sequence though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The songfighting is particularly ridiculous, and I'm curious if they'll try to explain why it's a good idea to jump around outside of any sort of vehicle, and why, given that it is apparently a good idea, they bother with the dogfighting. I'd be OK with them asking the audience to just roll with it, though, I'm in this for the spectacle, I think.

I think they've already done a pretty good job of demonstrating it without spelling it out to be honest. They're basically a first response unit and an emergency service against a new type of emergency: var attacks. So they patrol in variable fighters that allow them to cover large distances in short order to deploy where they're needed as fast as possible along with a rack of drones that can be recharged on the fly by one of the variable fighters. Their song only has a limited range that appears to cover perhaps a kilometer squared or so, and within that range only appears to act as a mild pacifying measure that basically just stops the enemy actively attacking and confuses them a bit, with the effect growing weaker the further out they are so they have to get up literally right in the face of the enemy like that one Zentradi Mikumo decultured if they want to completely cure them on the spot. Outside of that it was actually the variable fighters taking down the other enemies, and they weren't putting up much resistance thanks to Walkure's song.

So Walkure being on foot seems to serve a couple of purposes. Seeing a bunch of idols hopping around the place is much less terrifying that seeing just a poo poo load of planes blasting around, especially when they're able to transform a battlefield in to a concert since it makes people feel safer automatically to have all that light and sound and fun going on around them. The idols can also act as a ground force using the drones with a much better ground level view of events to protect and assist civilians that are in trouble while keeping them distracted and stopping them from panicking. Meanwhile, Delta squad give them a birds-eye view of events so that they have a more complete picture of what's going on around them. By being on foot it's also a lot easier for them to get up close and personal with any enemies suffering from var syndrome if need be to neutralize them immediately instead of taking their machines out and then neutralizing them later. It all works fine so long as the girls accept that their lives are at risk by doing so, which is the case for any emergency worker anyways. It's also not like they're going in to things unprotected anyways, given that they have a poo poo load of drones to act as protection, rocket skirts and probably other poo poo we've not yet seen to keep them safe.

Outside of that the planes also seem to double as part of the concert, deploying lights, smoke and hologram projectors (outside of the drones) that help make the experience more overwhelming, both for the var syndrome sufferers and the civilians within the area. They can also be used for shoulder surfing as Mikumo demonstrated.

What else would they need to do to explain it really?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I thought I was getting over it, but I had to watch the Giri Giri Ai segment again.

tsob posted:

It's also not like they're going in to things unprotected anyways, given that they have a poo poo load of drones to act as protection, rocket skirts and probably other poo poo we've not yet seen to keep them safe.
I'm pretty sure the glow around them is actually some kind of personal force field type deal as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

I thought I was getting over it, but I had to watch the Giri Giri Ai segment again.

WALKÜRE - Ikenai BORDERLINE

Mitsumeatte koi wo shite mugamuchuu de oikakete
Dakedo motto shiritakute MERA MERA shiteru
Negau hodo nazo wa fue omou hodo netsu ni naru
Dakara motto tobikomu no mikai no sekai

Koi toka yume toka dare demo shinjiru kedo
SOKO SOKO semenakya tsumannai yo
GIRI GIRI EYE ikenai BORDERLINE
Gaido G demo subete kowashite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND sara naru G he to
Ishiki wa tokeru karada wa seigyo funou
Icchau kamo ne

Fuzake atta tomodachi to motomeatta ano toki to
Mata aeru hi no tame ni KIRA KIRA shiteru
Hikaru hodo kage wa deki moeru hodo HIGH ni naru
Hashiru hodo miete kuru abunai RAIN

Jiyuu mo hei wa mo nozomeba umareru kedo
MOTA MOTA shitetara kusatchau yo
GIRI GIRI EYE abunai BORDERLESS
Hijou shiki dane mada kasoku shiteiru yo
GIRI GIRI MIND Genkai tennara nurikaete ii
Hakai to saisei kara watashi wa dekiru

Icchau kamo ne

GIRI GIRI EYE eye ikenai BORDERLINE
Moetsuki nagara mada kagayaite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND anata no tame ni
Mirai no tame ni nando kudake chitte mo

Aisuru koto de umare kawaru
Aisa retakute ikite kaeru

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well, at least eye and ai sound roughly the same.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Amazon.co.jp won't let me buy it and it is total bullshit.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The songfighting is particularly ridiculous

It is and I hope it's not going to be the main type of combat scene we see in the rest of the series because it's just so over the top that I don't think I can handle it every episode.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Teenagers, in my Macross?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Gihon posted:

It is and I hope it's not going to be the main type of combat scene we see in the rest of the series because it's just so over the top that I don't think I can handle it every episode.

We seem to have come to opposite conclusions from the same starting point.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Take me for a ride Macross Delta. I'm ready.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gihon posted:

I need to see it twice an episode

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I need to see it twice an episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macross was the first series to show us that moe always wins.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

WALKÜRE - Ikenai BORDERLINE

Mitsumeatte koi wo shite mugamuchuu de oikakete
Dakedo motto shiritakute MERA MERA shiteru
Negau hodo nazo wa fue omou hodo netsu ni naru
Dakara motto tobikomu no mikai no sekai

Koi toka yume toka dare demo shinjiru kedo
SOKO SOKO semenakya tsumannai yo
Icchau kamo ne

Fuzake atta tomodachi to motomeatta ano toki to
Mata aeru hi no tame ni KIRA KIRA shiteru
Hikaru hodo kage wa deki moeru hodo HIGH ni naru
Hashiru hodo miete kuru abunai RAIN

Jiyuu mo hei wa mo nozomeba umareru kedo
MOTA MOTA shitetara kusatchau yo
GIRI GIRI EYE abunai BORDERLESS
Hijou shiki dane mada kasoku shiteiru yo
GIRI GIRI MIND Genkai tennara nurikaete ii
Hakai to saisei kara watashi wa dekiru

Icchau kamo ne

GIRI GIRI EYE eye ikenai BORDERLINE
Moetsuki nagara mada kagayaite miseru
GIRI GIRI MIND anata no tame ni
Mirai no tame ni nando kudake chitte mo

Aisuru koto de umare kawaru
Aisa retakute ikite kaeru

I hope that the songs we're yet to hear are as good as this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd just prefer if the heroines were all sexy ladies instead of looking like they are 12 years old.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thread title should've been "Macross Delta: iDOLM@NSTER"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Idol...manster?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kylra posted:

Idol...manster?

iDOLMONSTER

a.k.a.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think Do You Remember Love Live was the best suggestion.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

iDOLMONSTER

a.k.a.

But this is good regardless.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i liked macross frontier. watched this for like 2 minutes, saw the tactical j-pop unit and closed the screen

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Condiv posted:

i liked macross frontier. watched this for like 2 minutes, saw the tactical j-pop unit and closed the screen
Ah, sorry for your brain problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i'm disappointed that the idols don't fly the robots

• Locked thread