Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just finished it, and yeah. That was pretty underwhelming :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone need an extra dose of GIRI GIRI AI?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

MJP posted:

Anyone need an extra dose of GIRI GIRI AI?

Kinda looks like the anime. Too much fighter plane, not enough of what makes macross great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It hasn't even been 2 months since this show ended and I've already forgotten everything about it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

It hasn't even been 2 months since this show ended and I've already forgotten everything about it.

WIND

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
giri giri ai

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed the show very much until the real season finale around episode 13. They really should have wrapped everything up then. Instead we got another 13 episodes of wasted potential. Too bad.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the show very much until the real season finale around episode 13. They really should have wrapped everything up then. Instead we got another 13 episodes of wasted potential. Too bad.

Mods close the thread, when people click on the thread direct them to that post.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Mods close the thread, when people click on the thread direct them to that post.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Honestly, I'm not even sure the series was workable from the beginning because what relevance would Walkure have against mysterious enemy starfighter squadron that isn't affected by var or anything?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The thing is, all humans are theoretically affectable by "var or anything". That's how Windemere defeated the not-var-infected armada that was bringing more dimensional weapons in a last ditch effort to exterminate everyone on Windemere before they took over everyone's minds. The applewater was just an amplifier or something.

See also: Hayate boosted by Freyja.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Argas posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure the series was workable from the beginning because what relevance would Walkure have against mysterious enemy starfighter squadron that isn't affected by var or anything?

Not make every fight fighter planes only

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Argas posted:

The series was pretty much written from the ground up to allow something as dumb as a Tactical Sound Unit to exist to begin with, which is honestly nowhere on the list of sins this show committed. The problem was that is basically did nothing truly exciting with ANYTHING or ANYONE after Messer died, and even before that it was floundering hard to keep its momentum going after episode 3. Delta's a weird production in that it feels both rushed AND dragged on uncomfortably long.

And it's not like there weren't interesting bits throughout the whole series. There are plenty of individual moments that shine through despite the show crawling up its own rear end over a mystery most people didn't even give a poo poo about. The "hacking/infiltration songs" were fun and funny, and the series is dotted with character interactions that in a better, more thought out show, could have lead SOMEWHERE. Instead, a lot of focus was placed on the expected Macross love triangle, which was pretty much decided early enough that it made all the bits where Hayate/Flight-kun would flirt with Singer-chan or Pilot-chan feel empty and forced. Like "We need to ramp up the tension here specifically, because it is what people expect" rather than "this is a good bit of characterization that makes the story better for it existing".

Even the main villain is ultimately a production of style over substance, to the degree that it almost seems to mocking itself. Generic anime evil-but-well-intentioned-but-not-really? guy complete with glasses to adjust evilly or obscure his eyes in moments where evil is being committed/conceived has a collection of glasses to fit his mood.

Nate RFB posted:

This show made me remember Frontier as being a much better show on every level, and then I watched it again and was right. Delta's movies are going to have to be AMAZING if they want to compare to Frontier's.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Argas posted:

Dude, they could have had like dance-offs between transforming robots.

Then the wind knights make their own 5-member tactical operatic boy band. Like, this thing writes itself.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, every other Macross show has song suddenly working as a surprise. In Plus, Sharon singing was never really a thing until she came out and mind-controlled everyone. In 7, they attempted to get something from giving Basara a valkyrie and space speakers, and it eventually worked out. In Frontier, Sheryl's singing becomes relevant over time. In Delta, it's set up to be effective against Var. But then they break out the Windemere boys and they're not at all effective against them. Even when Messer and Hayate get their boosts from it, it's not really enough. The problem with Windemere as a villain is that it sets up a bad guy that the tactical sound unit isn't really suited for dealing with, both in-universe and conceptually. Just making the songs some sort of combat buff gets boring. Sure, Windemere uses a lot of Var soldiers but there's rarely a chance for the Episode 1 shenanigans of idols vs Var soldiers because poo poo is immediately lethal when the Wind Knights get called in, and they always get called in. And then they're just singing so their own planes can match the Wind Knights, who are buffed by their own song. None of the Valkyrie stuff is fun because it takes away from the idols.

Maybe it would've been a better series if it was just following Walkure around as they go from planet to planet curing Var and encountering shady corporations taking advantage of Var/messing with it. This creates opportunities for stuff like the hacking/infiltration scenes, more idols vs Var soldiers, and other fun stuff and completely dodging the repeated scenes of Freya not singing hard enough for Hayate to almost match the Wind Knights. Idols get to be idols and do other ground team stuff. Valkyries get to do interesting things because they're trying not to massacre the Var-afflicted soldiers. You can still have enemy squadrons if, say, a certain corporation (Epsilon, maybe?) is profiting from using Var, without taking away from the idols because they can still fight their own way, rather than just act as a boost for the pilots.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
It still feels to me like we got a mid-season ending and we're just waiting for the next part to start, and that's like the only way my brain can deal with how mediocre the ending was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The midseason loving owned then we got a few breather episodes, then we got more breather episodes, then why isn't this going anywhere gently caress we're running outta episodes, oh finally... that's it?

Kuromukuro, running concurrently, also paced itself into lots of breather episodes, but situated them between smaller climaxes.

• Locked thread