Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

IcePhoenix posted:

Also are there any good defensive resistance constellations? I'm pretty much out of stuff that my build uses at this point and just need some good passive bonuses.

Turtle, Lion and Empty Throne are easy to get and 100% passive defense boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

IcePhoenix posted:

I was playing through Act 2 Elite (I never actually took a character into Elite more than a little bit before) and noticed that the Emissary was there for me to go to act 7. Can I just skip everything before act 7 and unlock ultimate or do I still need to do everything before that too?

Also are there any good defensive resistance constellations? I'm pretty much out of stuff that my build uses at this point and just need some good passive bonuses.

here's what I'm working with atm: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoBAqzV

Empty throne in purple and Eel in blue are the obvious ones. For active mitigation, you'd have Chariot and Ghoul in red, and 3 points for giant's blood in Behemoth in green. That's off the top of my head, since looking at grimtools sucks on mobile.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I played through this a long time back and still only have the base game. I hear that there's been big patches and content recently. For a casual (I only beat the story once and put it down, but I'm a huge arpg fan) is there enough in improvements to give it another shot? I've played through Diablo 2 and 3 about a billion times and kind of looking for something else. PoE was too complex for me to get into. I don't remember why this one didn't hook me so much the first time around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't remember why this one didn't hook me so much the first time around.

the convoluted item ui? the amount of resistances? the randomness of the loot pool?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Finally got my backer beta key for Last Epoch. I've only played for five minutes and I guess it's closer to POE in screen scale which I'll never be on board with, but looking forward to getting into it properly. Anyone else have any experience with it?

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The base game is 80% off on Steam today

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Expansions were on sale too so I picked them up. Trying out necro since many of the original classes didn't speak to me. I really wish there was a ranger/bow class since that's usually what I gravitate towards.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I've dipped my toe into this game in the past, but not enough to even really say I know much beyond the basics.

Is there a build I could go for similar to a D3 Uliana monk? Things that chain and murder in that way scratch an itch in my brain, I suppose. It doesn't necessarily have to be melee, and I don't care if it's not "top tier" or whatever.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

szary posted:

The base game is 80% off on Steam today

That's got me looking at it. Is the DLC a must-have and/or is there a specific thing class-wise you can only play as with the DLC?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Suburban Dad posted:

Expansions were on sale too so I picked them up. Trying out necro since many of the original classes didn't speak to me. I really wish there was a ranger/bow class since that's usually what I gravitate towards.

fyi, you can use bows in the (very impressive) D2 total conversion mod, reign of terror

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

LLJKSiLk posted:

That's got me looking at it. Is the DLC a must-have and/or is there a specific thing class-wise you can only play as with the DLC?

Ashes has two new classes and Gods has one. Both also add quite hefty chunks of gameplay, items, etc. Both are well worth the asking price in my opinion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LLJKSiLk posted:

Ashes gives you the Necromancer (lots of pets, de/buffs, aether/vit damage mostly) and the Inquisitor (dual guns, a heal button, some really good de/buffs, a beam attack that is crazy good if you spec; mostly elemental damage, can go chaos). It also gives you two acts of extra story content, loads of gear, new constellations, increases the level cap to 100 and the devotion cap to 55, and one of the faction items is a +100% experience gain potion. Very nice for alts.

Gods gives you the Oathkeeper (fire/phys, acid/vit with transmuters, a new default attack replacer, lots of buffs and shield stuff, some invincible pets with RR) and another kind of short act involving the witch gods. More new gear and new constellations, but no new level caps. A handful of quests in ultimate give you bonus skill/attribute points though. Also has the Shattered Realms, which are sort-of-randomly generated dungeons (random enemies and mutators) with better gear the deeper you go. Every 4th level is a boss level which you can claim your prizes or go deeper once you've beaten it.

Personally I think if you're gonna get this game you should absolutely get the xpacs because the classes and constellations alone are worth it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah get the expansion packs. The crucible is a toss-up. I like it but it's just long arena fights.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It was inexplicably cheaper for me to buy the bundle pack that the expansions separately so I guess I have a spare copy of the base game and the crucible dlc going spare.

Also I haven't played this for like 2.5 years and remember almost nothing except for "spam Blackwater cocktail" being a wholly viable solution to most problems.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
It may be a dumb question and obviously clear, but: If I die in the crucible in hardcore, it is permanent death, right? The crucible is not an instanced „safe zone“ to grind, is it?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

It may be a dumb question and obviously clear, but: If I die in the crucible in hardcore, it is permanent death, right? The crucible is not an instanced „safe zone“ to grind, is it?

Right. The save files have a death counter and a hardcore flag.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I tried to make a ritualist since it's in such a weird place itemization-wise; There's plenty of pet-based shaman or necromancer gear, but a lot of the good stuff has occultist attached as the other class. Ghol's set with 3/4 Bysmiel's set and Myth Necrolord's gaze seems like a pretty good start, and myth wyrmclaw gives some pretty saucy stats (although I kind of want to try out Gate to Many Worlds). I picked up Whirlpool in the devotions because I like having something attached to as many pets as possible, but I think there's lots of places you could put those points.

I haven't tried this build at all, but it's got decent stats, 3k DA, and overcapped defenses so it ought to at least be able to clear story mode and SR 25.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

God dammit I just finished ashes of malmouth on normal with a new character and then looked up the forgotten god expansion and I could have started on Elite straight off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I don't understand the frustration but I'm pretty new to this. I just beat FG on normal with my first character, around level 62 or 63. Got hooked pretty hard but figure it will slow down doing all the same stuff over again, motivation wise. Leveling has slowed down with a bit too but maybe it'll get better in elite and with more quests.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't understand the frustration but I'm pretty new to this. I just beat FG on normal with my first character, around level 62 or 63. Got hooked pretty hard but figure it will slow down doing all the same stuff over again, motivation wise. Leveling has slowed down with a bit too but maybe it'll get better in elite and with more quests.

I already had a level 83 character that had gone through epic (but not ultimate it seems, think I played a lot of crucible) and a stash of level 50+ gear so I could have skipped normal and started using that straight off.

Though tbf I have enjoyed this purifier character quite a lot and stun jacks are way op it seems.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Suburban Dad posted:

Your first character is definitely going to be the hardest, because you have no mandates and you probably won't have the +100% exp potion from malmouth revered until you're almost done leveling. You generally want to go to Elite once you've done all the story content, plus the hidden quest (which gives you a skill point and attribute point). And then the same for going elite to ultimate, since I think you'll cap out around 85ish in elite.

Once you get into elite/ultimate there's a rock you can buy from the vendor in the first FG zone that lets your alt automatically get the skills/attributes/bags from all quests in normal (and elite, if you use the ult rock) and unlocks all the portals so it's extremely handy for alts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Going for this build (grim tools) and have followed it and am now in ultimate. Resists are decent but not fully capped but doing alright in Act 1 so far. Is there anything glaringly wrong with my gear? I still don't fully get damage buffs on items (elemental, etc.) so not sure if I have some dumb poo poo equipped. I have a lot of pets and not sure what all damage types they do and what I should be shooting for on items, but just generally going for +pet bonuses and +skills and neglecting pretty much all other stats thus far...

E: after a bit more tweaking, saw some baller looking items from one of the cults in FG that I swapped in for a lot more pet damage at the expense of a little resists, but tried to balance that with components and augs. Everything is maxed when my aura things are going except stun resist.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 22, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Suburban Dad posted:

I still don't fully get damage buffs on items (elemental, etc.) so not sure if I have some dumb poo poo equipped. I have a lot of pets and not sure what all damage types they do and what I should be shooting for on items, but just generally going for +pet bonuses and +skills and neglecting pretty much all other stats thus far...
Elemental is fire+cold+lightning. Something that gives +X% to elemental damage or elemental resistance is going to give the full bonus to all three (so e.g. +50% elemental damage is giving +50% fire, +50% cold, and +50% lightning damage; same fore +50% elemental resistance). Something that gives a flat bonus to elemental damage will be adding 1/3 of that in each type, e.g. if you are getting +30 elemental damage what you're really getting is +10 fire, +10 cold, and +10 lightning damage. Flat damage only applies to your weapon damage, so to get anything from it you need to be attacking with a weapon and/or using a skill that says "N% weapon damage". +X% [type] affects all sources of that type.

For a pet build, you're generally right in that you want stuff that gives a bonus to all pets; since most of it is gonna have +X% all damage, you don't super need to pay attention to what damage they do usually (although you can find out by hovering over the skills for those pets). Keep an eye on your resists and defenses though, because your pets aren't going to hold aggro very well and your pets can't fight if you're dead. For the record, I personally think my cabalist is way better than the skelemancer; bird is better than dog to an almost embarrassing degree these days, and I think doubling the +pet damage% and +50% pet crit is better than an extra 3 skellies, not to mention that I cap all my resists and he doesn't.

Plus if you poke at me in discord I can give you the full set of gear for my build since I've had every item in it drop at least 3 times. :v:

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 23, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try yours out and see how it goes. I just beat act 2 in ultimate and so far it's pretty smooth sailing except bosses. I have to recast my pets a billion times and run around like a scared chicken while they slowly chip away at the boss. Thanks for the gear offer but that's part of the chase at this point. :)

Is your build able to do the celestials? I'm not quite there yet obviously with my gear and levels but curious if the build is capable enough for it. Seems like a requirement for alt gear and farming a lot of the decent stuff and I'm hoping I can start farming that eventually vs. making another character specifically for it.

E: is there a hotkey for swapping to the 2nd skill bar in grim tools?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try yours out and see how it goes. I just beat act 2 in ultimate and so far it's pretty smooth sailing except bosses. I have to recast my pets a billion times and run around like a scared chicken while they slowly chip away at the boss. Thanks for the gear offer but that's part of the chase at this point. :)
Offer's always good, the important thing is to have fun!

Suburban Dad posted:

Is your build able to do the celestials? I'm not quite there yet obviously with my gear and levels but curious if the build is capable enough for it. Seems like a requirement for alt gear and farming a lot of the decent stuff and I'm hoping I can start farming that eventually vs. making another character specifically for it.
The celestials/superbosses don't generally have anything that normal bosses wouldn't outside of a given purple MI. I've only done the JB Clones with my cabalist because a lot of them have auras that wipe out pets like a blowtorch through butter. I can do SR50 and Crucible 170 pretty well though, and either of those will dump heaps of loot on you.

Suburban Dad posted:

E: is there a hotkey for swapping to the 2nd skill bar in grim tools?
Yes, it's Y.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man I forgot how funt his game is

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

How is the vanilla experience? I've considered buying them but 30 bucks for the xpacks is a little steep and it would seem I keep missing sales.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The vanilla experience is fine. It's a solid game and you'll get a couple play-throughs out of it, but you'll likely never get to do any MP becasue you can't play with anyone who has the expansions.

The expansions are like going from a 15" CRT to a 40" flat screen. Tons of QoL improvements, the classes you get are extremely good, and the gear tends to be better designed in general.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah inquisitor, necromancer and oathkeeper are really fun classes.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Well butts. I made a Warder, so I can just 2 handed blast things with lightning. Seems fun so far to the ripe old level of....6.

Maybe I'll see if I got some reward bucks or a steam card somewhere, haha.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

but you'll likely never get to do any MP becasue you can't play with anyone who has the expansions
I like to say the worst part of Grim Dawn is the way too many damage types but I forgot about this, and that Steam users can't play with GoG users.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

The General posted:

Steam users can't play with GoG users.

This is no longer true.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm weak. I have purchased the DLC. Now lay some sweet builds using the new classes on me!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Saxophone posted:

I'm weak. I have purchased the DLC. Now lay some sweet builds using the new classes on me!
Okay! In some kind of order:
Pet Cabalist. You summon a bunch of skeletons, a couple birds, and a variety of other poo poo and let them beat the piss out of everything. Kind of energy-intensive, but nothing all the energy potions the game dumps on you can't solve. If you pop all your buffs at once, your pets will murder everything on the screen, bosses included, in <10 seconds (barring any crapass mutators).

Pet Ritualist. Very similar to the above, but with plague beasts instead of birds. Way less energy intensive, slightly different stats, much different devotions. You basically alternate between Bone Harvest and Reap Spirit, filling in with Swarm for the -20% acid resist. Way less pet damage but also way less expectation of having a shitload of short-term buffs up. Haven't tried any SR/crucible with it yet. Edit: just beat SR50, died because Moose with +200 chaos damage and +15% attack speed is brutal, but it was my first death on the character so I think that's pretty good.

Poison Dervish. Like the idea of pets but hate that they have hp and have separate stats? Try this on for size! Revenant and Yugol give you some very nice player-based pets on attack, and Nightblade & Oathkeeper both give you two more invincible pets. But we clearly do not have enough, so we have the Prime Ring of Morgoneth providing another 3 pet tentacles to reduce incoming damage! You basically just charge in with SS, ABB & Ring of Blades anything that doesn't die from Tainted Eruption, and let your pets run around harassing anything you haven't slammed into yet.

Rotgheist Archon. Vitality-based melee, using Primal Strike on cooldown with transmuted Righteous Fury. Grasping Vines with Wendigo's Mark means you are dealing buckets of AoE damage that is also healing you, while immobilizing enemies who get blasted by PS. With your guardians triggering Tainted Eruption basically all the time, the only thing that stays up for longer than a second are bosses and higher.

Tainted Flame Deceiver. Surprisingly resilient caster. With all the mods on Flames, you will cripple anything that tries to hurt you and you'll heal back any hp you lose between Blood, Word, and the lifeleech on Flames. If you get everything to proc, you're rocking -98% chaos RR and chaos is basically all you do. You can put the glyph on LMB, which I do so I am always leaping into the fray (and blasting it).

PRM Spellbinder. Aether-based PRM build, you get to be pretty mobile while turning the screen into a bullet hell game for the enemies. Pretty defensive, very nice if you want something that is more "hold LMB and walk through the game" than any of the other builds.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 1, 2020

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Welp. Just now learned they added auto-pickup on components and also that it is disabled by default.

At least I learned it now and not in 3 weeks or something.

Any essential mods for QoL or anything? I don't want to really change the base experience, but I do love QoL.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I like grim internals. Shows more stats, can have it auto pickup rares and other stuff, show health bars, etc. Pretty customizable.

Edit: I also use something (full rainbow I think it's called) to help highlight item types, basically giving MI other colors to distinguish but it's also customizable.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 30, 2020

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A few patches back they rolled a bunch of qol features from a fan mod into the core game. Auto component pickup combined with removing component fragments was huge.

I played through the whole game recently and didn't feel like it needed much else. The great loot filter combined with everything being id'd by default made zipping through the game pretty easy.

Also build wise I'll throw in my hat saying Forcewave feels pretty great (soldier skill). I think the popular forum setup with it was necromancer for death knight, though I don't have a build guide handy.

Fixing mistakes is pretty low friction in this game and you don't need an ultra optimized setup to beat normal if you know arpg basics, play what looks thematically cool.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Suburban Dad posted:

Edit: I also use something (full rainbow I think it's called) to help highlight item types, basically giving MI other colors to distinguish but it's also customizable.

Specifically, this: https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/tool-rainbow-filter-item-highlighting/42765

It makes reading item stats at a glance so much easier.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Anyone have an extra key for sale for base game (+dlc optional) on Steam? My buddy is looking for a key and it's not been on sale for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seems to go on sale for about 5 bucks once a month. Last one was April 10th, I bought my buddy a copy.