Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I was wondering about that as well. I'm pretty rusty but I don't think you can go seriously wrong making a build like you would in Grim Dawn.

-Dream is a good second mastery for most. It does lots of damage and has 3 powerful sustains that can slot into almost any build.
-Pick 2 damage types that have decent synergy between the two masteries.
-Make sure you have a source of hp/energy, be it leeching, regen or whatever
-It's good to have a panic button skill as well as something to boost defences/damage against bosses
-Mobility skills are few and far between, so choose wisely. Another point for Dream mastery being awesome, psionic strike is safe and does lots of (AOE!) damage.
-A lot of passives and sustains are serviceable as one-point wonders, you can fill them up on higher difficulties once you find out what parts of your build are lacking.
-IIRC some of the left-click abilities are kinda mediocre and expensive so depending on build you might want to skip em and invest in some more R-click abilities.
-Always keep 5 or so attribute points un-allocated. Never know when you'll find a nice new item that needs just a couple extra points in Dex or Int or whatever.
-Most CC has several enemy types that are immune. I think Petrify is the only exception?

Okay, but, like, I don't know enough about grim dawn to make these decisions and I've gotten a couple of characters through the storyline and stuff, I know even less about Titan Quest.

Assuming it has the same kind of respec mechanic I'm fine flailing around and fixing it later if things seem bad, but you can't repsec your class choices, so I'm hoping somebody can point me at a good combo. That's fun to play. Mor advice about what kind of gear I want to look for with the build, etc would be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The next 2 proper updates for Wolcen should shift things around a fair bit, plus they've apparently bolstered their team size to better tackle it---so I can't help but hold out hope that it will Get There within the next several months to a year.

Which is far from ideal for a game out of Early Access as opposed to in it...but from their earliest KS days it was clear that they were almost certainly going to wind up taking the scenic route.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Zereth posted:

Okay, but, like, I don't know enough about grim dawn to make these decisions and I've gotten a couple of characters through the storyline and stuff, I know even less about Titan Quest.

Assuming it has the same kind of respec mechanic I'm fine flailing around and fixing it later if things seem bad, but you can't repsec your class choices, so I'm hoping somebody can point me at a good combo. That's fun to play. Mor advice about what kind of gear I want to look for with the build, etc would be nice too.

Look at damage types supported by both your masteries. Try to skill an ability that will provide health and energy regeneration or leech.

As for recommendations, dream + anything should be good. Even post anniversary edition nerf, dream is still amazing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dream/warfare, use fast weapons and dart around with movement skills

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saxophone posted:

I was going to ask about Last Epoch. Everything I've seen looked fun.

Does Last Epoch not have a thread? I've been playing it a bit and enjoying it, apart from a few bugs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jedit posted:

Does Last Epoch not have a thread? I've been playing it a bit and enjoying it, apart from a few bugs.

Also picked up Last Epoch in the summer sale and am wondering this :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey are there any mods or editors out there for Titan Quest AE that allow slotting relics into blue items?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

IcePhoenix posted:

Also picked up Last Epoch in the summer sale and am wondering this :v:

There is but it's over a year old I believe or something. Also an ICR thread if my memory serves me right.

That being said Last Epoch is cool too. Though god drat animations feel incredibly stiff in it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think a lot of the animations in Last Epoch are place holders and are still slated to be replaced. At any rate I just started playing a mage and I feel like its animations are acceptable.

The game is really fun, by the way. While it’s still held back by, in my opinion, the typically weak ARPG control scheme and second to second gameplay, juggling resource and skill management so far is a lot more interesting and involved than in Grim Dawn.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also, if you want the most bog-standard can finish the game build. Warfare+Defense is incredibly good at just chugging through everything like an unstoppable tank. It does require a good shield/weapon though.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Titan quest had a game editor that allowed you to enhance epics and stuff that normally didn't allow it, ah found it, TQ defiler.
https://tq.soulseekkor.com/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Picked this up over the Steam sale -- I guess the answer is "Keep Playing", but ever since I unlocked this Aether Ray on my Arcanist I have zero reason to ever use any other skill? Only level 26 but absolutely everything just melts. Additionally Occultist has felt like a complete waste of a secondary spec :v: These pets do zero loving damage

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Occultists have blood of Dreeg and blood of Dreeg and uh, yeah, blood of Dreeg.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, Curse of Frailty is a pretty great source of resistance reducation AKA bonus damage.

Also bloody pox is bizarrely effective with the right spec, despite looking extremely mediocre on paper.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Does CoF still aggro entire screens worth of mobs?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
It really says something about how important damage reduction is when a skill that applies it singlehandedly turns Occultist from a total joke mastery that no non-pet build would ever take into a solid (if not top-tier) pairing for every other mastery in the game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sab669 posted:

Picked this up over the Steam sale -- I guess the answer is "Keep Playing", but ever since I unlocked this Aether Ray on my Arcanist I have zero reason to ever use any other skill? Only level 26 but absolutely everything just melts. Additionally Occultist has felt like a complete waste of a secondary spec :v: These pets do zero loving damage
Pets are gonna feel like a waste unless you spec absolutely balls-through-the-wall hard into them. You'd be better off with inquisitor (which has a healing skill and a resistance reduction skill for aether) or necromancer (which has a lot of +aether damage and defensive abilities) than occultist, unless you're picking up the Tainted Power transmuter so all of occultists's +vitality and +chaos starts buffing your death laser. As I recall there's an item that puts -chaos res on curse, too.

Also, cannot understate how good grabbing the Revenant constellation and putting it on AAR is. I do it on my tainted flame deceiver and it is immensely fun. They can't die and they do damage based on your stats, not +pet, and their RR stacks with curse.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So I've played a couple random builds that start to really struggle in ult, what is something that is like broken good and fun to play? My fav character so far was probably a saboteur, as teleporting around meleeing peeps was fun.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I've personally had good luck with a self-found vanquisher's set build. I cleared Shattered Realm up to 75, though I didn't try the crucible, so I don't know how well the build would do there. The idea is to reduce the cooldown on Vire's Might to as low as possible and dash around lighting everything on fire. It's mobile, tough and deals decent damage. I went with templar, though sentinel, shield breaker or paladin would probably all also be fine. There was a good guide for a vanquisher sentinel on the official forums that you could check out.

At the end of the day, however, the best way to answer the question "why do I keep dying in ultimate" is probably just to read more and try more builds. Eventually you'll get a sense of what kind of stats you need to survive, then you'll be able to make almost anything work in the campaign. There are good guides on the official forums for what kind of stats to look for.

I think shadowstrike builds are really "meta" in the last few patches (I haven't kept up too much recently, though), but you probably want to look more at infiltrator (or maybe trickster or reaper) rather than Saboteur. Focus on stacking -% cold resistance and cold damage. Morgoneth's set is built for this and is obtainable for strong self found builds. There should be lots of resources on the official forums for shadowstrike builds.

I've mentioned the official forums three times. They rightfully have a bad reputation for being full of elitist pricks, but they also have loads of invaluable resources that simply aren't available anywhere else.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 18, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My warlord is lvl 48 and has been using the same green 1h main for the last 15 levels or so based on DPS number within the item description. There's nothing that comes close. Did I just get a fantastic drop that's carried me through the levels or am I missing something?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I got this game and have been enjoying it, but I'm a little over level 50 and things are starting to get harder. I've been using the laziest build I could google with minimum effort . I basically just walk around and collect loot while things happen on my screen. Eventually I'll try something that actually makes me use effort, but this is kind of a chill way to play when my pets aren't all constantly disntegrating. Will this build keep working for me, or will I hit a wall at a certain point like I remember old Diable 2 pet classes doing?

Up until now I've basically been ignoring pretty much every mechanic and just equipping stuff that has bonuses to pets. Should I keep playing this way, or am I approaching the point where I need to start looking for resistances or farming factions or whatever. I have not even finished the normal playthrough but I am into the first expansion content and just killed an ancient river monster (copy of the base game big boss).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Resists are important for survival but that build will take you through ultimate no problem.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

My warlord is lvl 48 and has been using the same green 1h main for the last 15 levels or so based on DPS number within the item description. There's nothing that comes close. Did I just get a fantastic drop that's carried me through the levels or am I missing something?

The dps displayed isn’t very accurate, not even the ones for skills in the character screen. Best way to compare weapons is to whack a practice dummy a dozen times. It’s totally possible you got a lucky roll though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
GD is overcap all your resistances first, then squeeze in DPS. Glass cannons don't work. Ignore the DPS indicator. It assumes you'll only be autoattacking and doesn't consider very important things like resistances, resistance reduction and proc'ed effects. The only way to know if a weapon is better is if you're killing stuff faster with it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've been finding a bunch of broken items.

Do they still work as they should?
Should I just reinstall?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
They work. You just need to update the rainbow text mod to get rid of the error messages.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I need to stop playing hardcore when I'm drunk :negative:

Though I did discover that the Oathkeeper owns. Eye of Reckoning shreds through crowds nicely.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Just installed Reign of Terror last night after bouncing off the base game a few times now and holy poo poo this rules. Playing a CNecro / Barb. Perfect podcast / twitch watching replacement for PoE when I get irritated / burned out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Iverron posted:

Just installed Reign of Terror last night after bouncing off the base game a few times now and holy poo poo this rules. Playing a CNecro / Barb. Perfect podcast / twitch watching replacement for PoE when I get irritated / burned out.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it for what it is. I don’t necessarily agree with their balance philosophy, and there’s plenty of poo poo that doesn’t work as advertised if at all, but the recent patch added a ton of new bosses and completely upended itemization, opened up a ton of build variety as compared to before. My recent char is an FoH paladin/arcanist, doesn’t have the best clear but can facetank virtually anything and burn through end game bosses reasonably quickly. I’m still working on farming up the new mythical sets and such, but I think I might try a m’av or old gods zon next. Got a few Leoric’s pieces now too, that seemed intriguing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dumped POE a few months ago (it just feels bad and bloated) and am happier than iv'e been in a long time, i don't even feel the Grind with the new classes.

Nice job Crate. :allears:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've really enjoyed the 4? seasons of PoE I played, but every time I came back there was more weird artifacts and mechanics from previous seasons. This was cool at first, but it feels like half the content could be edited out with no harm. Put it in the goofy end-of season events instead.

To be honest I'm probably just tired of speed-running the labyrinth for 100th time.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah, PoE can be fun but I keep coming back to Grim Dawn in particular because it actually understands that ARPGS are about killing monsters and taking their stuff, not spending 5 hours a day on multiple third party tools to manage a trade system that would have been archaic 15 years ago. Hell, you can't even play level-appropriate content without trading in PoE.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I really like PoE's story, visuals, and gameplay. I think the skill tree and gem system are cool as hell. I still have yet to get to the endgame because I bounce off of the gearing meta every single time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I got about halfway through POE's campaign (which outside of a few bosses was way to easy, though I hear it gets tougher), stopped for a while, and fired it up a couple times but just couldn't get back into it because some update meant I had to keep resetting my half-remembered skill tree and opening up my inventory to figure out my gear made me groan. Unpopularly, I also prefer Crate's handcrafted world over POE's D2 style procedural one, though it had some pretty tilesets.

I'll still try POE2 when it comes out because its change to skill gems looks like much less of a chore than the current system.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Clitch posted:

I really like PoE's story, visuals, and gameplay. I think the skill tree and gem system are cool as hell. I still have yet to get to the endgame because I bounce off of the gearing meta every single time.

Huge same, I love a lot about PoE but the meta and itemization make it intensely unfun for me after I get a way in.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Those loot Totems are no joke on Elite.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Jabarto posted:

Hell, you can't even play level-appropriate content without trading in PoE.
I mean, people routinely clear the hardest endgame content in PoE on Solo Self Found Hardcore (no trading, no partying up, one death and done). I fully agree that PoE has a learning curve like a brick wall and an at this point overwhelming amount of content bloat, but that's still a bit of an exaggeration.

I love PoE, and I like Grim Dawn a lot, but they both scratch very different itches, for as much as they play the same - and I think that's great!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I've played this game on and off, very casually. Any fun builds you guys would recommend for my least played classes of Arcanist, Shaman, or Necromancer?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Elderbean posted:

I've played this game on and off, very casually. Any fun builds you guys would recommend for my least played classes of Arcanist, Shaman, or Necromancer?

PRM Spellbinder will knock out Arcanist and Necro at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elderbean posted:

You could do a fun Shaman/Necromancer pet build that leans on having buff Blight Fiends and Briarthorns

If you want a more active playstyle they have some pretty absurd Vitality damage synergy since Necromancer has a bunch of vitality spells and Primal Swarm decreases Vitality resistance by 60%.