Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I purchased all the expansions during the sale and I was just wondering what a fun, easy newbie class combo would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Are there any risks to installing things like Grim Internals, Grim Item Assistant or Grim Dawn Stash if I've been playing for a while and have a bunch of characters I don't want to lose? Can I just copy my save files somewhere before I do it? Sorry for a super basic question but I never remember to look for this before it's late and I don't want to bork my shieldbreaker just to get a few more stash slots.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think I used item assistant and lost a bunch of stash items initially because it uses some specific tabs. Backup for sure.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, I purchased all the expansions during the sale and I was just wondering what a fun, easy newbie class combo would be?

Oathkeeper has Guardians and they kick rear end. They're like pets, but they just get your character bonuses so you don't have to worry about pet bonuses. You can get fire guardians or poison guardians, they'll do damage and lower resistances too, so there's good synergy with demolitionist or occultist.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Bought this on sale and finally go around to trying this game out. Despite having tons of Diablo and Titan's Quest experience, everything is confusing. So I have some dumb questions.

Is there a button to highlight all the breakable items on the screen or something? The game does a good job of blending in all the crates and chests and whatnot into the background, and I find I keep missing stuff.

Is there an auto-loot button or a way to change what is auto-looted? In Titan's Quest there a button to scoop up all the gold, potions, and craftable stuff.

Why are there like 3 different guys in the first town who give me a potion and some line about "tired of all these illusions"?

There are these components things like Chilling Steal or Searing Ruby. I assume these are like gems in Diablo 2 or relics in Titan's Quest. But do you need to collect and then combine them into bigger versions (i.e Horadic Cube)? And besides plugging them into a item for a bonus, what else are they used for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no crate highlighting in the game, but it kind of stops bothering you after a while because you learn to spot them instantly anyways. They tend to get clipped by AE damage and blow up too.

You can't autoloot everything, but it has similar settings to titan quest that you can enable autoloot for iron, consumables, and crafting components. It saves a lot of clicking.

Components are used in crafting and for putting buffs on your armor. Just hoard them for now and once you start to figure the game out you'll have a good collection to start with. Or slap them on armor if you want, it doesn't really matter (you'll end up with hundreds of the common ones).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

It’s been a minute, but I’m pretty sure grim internals adds some further auto pickup options or at least range. There’s also a ‘pickup nearest item’ hotkey although I forgot what it’s bound to by default. If you set your filters right, you can rely on auto pickup for all the small stuff and just mash that hotkey occasionally instead of clicking.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

greazeball posted:

Are there any risks to installing things like Grim Internals, Grim Item Assistant or Grim Dawn Stash if I've been playing for a while and have a bunch of characters I don't want to lose? Can I just copy my save files somewhere before I do it? Sorry for a super basic question but I never remember to look for this before it's late and I don't want to bork my shieldbreaker just to get a few more stash slots.
I pretty regularly backup my poo poo by just saving a copy of the "main" folder to my desktop. If something goes fucky, just paste that character folder back in.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

greazeball posted:

I've been using Internals for ages and it has never caused any save game issues. Some early builds were unstable and caused the game to crash when things got real busy, but nowadays even that's not a problem. Stash on the other hand buggered my file up twice, which made me give up on using it all together. That was a while back and the tool may have improved, but honestly I haven't missed it, thanks to the inventory changes in the base game. That said, no matter what you end up using it's always a good idea to make backups every now and then.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

Bought this on sale and finally go around to trying this game out. Despite having tons of Diablo and Titan's Quest experience, everything is confusing. So I have some dumb questions.

Is there a button to highlight all the breakable items on the screen or something? The game does a good job of blending in all the crates and chests and whatnot into the background, and I find I keep missing stuff.

Is there an auto-loot button or a way to change what is auto-looted? In Titan's Quest there a button to scoop up all the gold, potions, and craftable stuff.

Why are there like 3 different guys in the first town who give me a potion and some line about "tired of all these illusions"?

There are these components things like Chilling Steal or Searing Ruby. I assume these are like gems in Diablo 2 or relics in Titan's Quest. But do you need to collect and then combine them into bigger versions (i.e Horadic Cube)? And besides plugging them into a item for a bonus, what else are they used for?

It's already been mentioned that you can toggle auto-looting components and gold - there's also a loot filter. It has a lot of options but for a first playthrough you can just set it to rare items and above from act 2 onwards.

The random npcs who talk about illusions and give items were a bonus for pre-orders or early access or something. They have no purpose apart from giving some cosmetic items, feel free to ignore them.

Some components are used for crafting items and rare components later in the game. There's no need to combine shards to make an entire component anymore, they come pre-assembled! This was changed in a patch not so long ago, so you may find conflicting information online.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm fairly sure I messed up my saves with Grim Internals. But it also says to turn off steam cloud in big red letters and I never did.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The General posted:

I'm fairly sure I messed up my saves with Grim Internals. But it also says to turn off steam cloud in big red letters and I never did.

Well, there ya go. Some games also have poor cloud save support without bringing any mods or external programs into it. Don't remember which game it was that I played just last year, but it would always take about five minutes to update to the cloud after closing. One time it finally crapped out and lost everything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know which ports the game uses that I have to open up for port triggering? Game was working fine but I found out it was because UPNP was enabled on my router by default so I turned it off since I'm uneasy having that on. Of course, turning it off makes it so my friend cannot connect to my hosted games anymore or I theirs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I rather admire the detail they put into death animations for enemies. Most developers do a a good job with theirs but Crate really nailed it because I'm noticing them a lot more.

In specific it makes it even more fun to blast jerks with aether ray.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

1.1.9.0 is out. I had no idea they were still planning to add content.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like a lot of effort making pets do better?

And a bit of a tone down on mortar traps and storm totems.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

xzzy posted:

Its a bit of a bummer as my latest build is a valgurs ritualist but theres some other buffs that offset it.

I wonder how much of the retal changes affects the stoneguard build a few posts up

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

xzzy posted:

Nerfing a ton of +pet items is a funny way of doing that. I'm probably gonna have to totally rebuild my cabalist now.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

Just let me have more than one Hellhound without needing level 80+ items sets and I would be happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Nerfing a ton of +pet items is a funny way of doing that. I'm probably gonna have to totally rebuild my cabalist now.

The global increase to pet health and damage scaling isn't enough to offset that? It reads to me they want pets to be stronger for poorly geared players.

But I don't profess to understand the mechanics of this game in incredible detail.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

The global increase to pet health and damage scaling isn't enough to offset that? It reads to me they want pets to be stronger for poorly geared players.

But I don't profess to understand the mechanics of this game in incredible detail.

That's what I got from a quick read as well. The core idea seems to be adjusting the power curve to be more even across levels, which has always been an issue for pet builds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently this is being advertised as the last content update ever for Grim Dawn. So hope y'all like what's there because from here on out it's mods or nothing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Sucks we'll probably never get a GD2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Oldstench posted:

Sucks we'll probably never get a GD2.

what makes you say that? the game was successful and the devs seem passionate about it, i wouldn’t be surprised if they make a sequel in a few years

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

All ive read is they want to focus on something else now, not that theyll never do anything related to grim dawn ever again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

watho posted:

what makes you say that? the game was successful and the devs seem passionate about it, i wouldn’t be surprised if they make a sequel in a few years

Just seems like they are burned out working on CRPGs, hence the move to a city builder. They've been doing updates to GD for 5 years now and a lot of the devs worked on TQ as well. They spend a lot of time on post game addons and support. Figure that they'll probably do the same with their new IP. Doubt they're big enough to split teams, so maybe "never" is too strong but "a long time from now" might be more correct. I have no idea what I'm talking about anyway.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Jokes on you people, the moment your village get attacked by monsters the camera zooms into a closeup on one of your villagers and the title sequence rolls in with the logo "Grim Dawn 2".

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I would play the hell out of a love child between Sim City and Grim Dawn.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

"INSUFFICIENT FLESH TO MAKE AETHER FURNACE. KIDNAP MORE VILLAGERS."

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
'Yes just step into my portal, it's totally safe'

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kalas posted:

I would play the hell out of a love child between Sim City and Grim Dawn.
That sounds like Act Raiser, which was easily the best game for SNES and thus I would absolutely play any game that tries to be a more advanced version of that.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I was playing my 2h Aether Ritualist who I have at level 84 and was just going over my build when I realized fFOR THE FIRST TIME that Necrotic Edge (which i had maxed out) does vitality damage instead of aether. I must have played through 60-70 levels without having noticed. Kind of nice getting a dozen "free" skill points towards the end of the grind though!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just discovered Grim Internals and playing at 1.5 speed, pushing my luck at 2. My god, this is amazing.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just discovered Grim Internals and playing at 1.5 speed, pushing my luck at 2. My god, this is amazing.

I pretty much play exclusively at 3x now. It makes leveling new characters actually bearable for me.

That and grimmest at 10x density

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Does internals push the view distance out a teensy bit further too? Its great.

Now I've just discovered the Arkovian Coliseum and apparently a bunch of other stuff added late last year, just fantastic. I want this game to go forever.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, they added pretty sizeable pieces to the existing maps and several hidden dungeons too. The devs gave this game a lot of very respectable post-release work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Newbie game mechanic question: does the fire resist reduction on flash freeze require the target to be frozen? That is, if I use it on a boss that is stun immune is it actually doing anything for me?

I'm guessing they need to get that tinted blue color to get the resist reduction, but boss fights move so darn fast with so many particle effects flying around I never really have the time to check out the color of their model.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

xzzy posted:

Newbie game mechanic question: does the fire resist reduction on flash freeze require the target to be frozen? That is, if I use it on a boss that is stun immune is it actually doing anything for me?

I'm guessing they need to get that tinted blue color to get the resist reduction, but boss fights move so darn fast with so many particle effects flying around I never really have the time to check out the color of their model.

Flash freeze doesn’t really do anything against bosses. The fire resistance reduction only applies while targets are frozen.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ugh, I want to start a new character but I don't want the grind at the start to level up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

shut up blegum posted:

Ugh, I want to start a new character but I don't want the grind at the start to level up :(

Start on elite with grimmest and 2 or 3x speed with grim intervals. Really makes it more bearable. I tend to also give myself 10-15 devotion points at the beginning since I’m skipping normal