Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pets are OK but i guess i dont like piloting them around and watching, lol. im going to try a warlord blitz character out, it looks relatively starter friendly and zoomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Even the official forums says leveling on normal is faster and easier, and they're the biggest sweatlords around. The only reason to play veteran is if you specifically want the game to be harder.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Or if you're twinking.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

queeb posted:

pets are OK but i guess i dont like piloting them around and watching, lol. im going to try a warlord blitz character out, it looks relatively starter friendly and zoomy.

There's a great Warlord build in the OP, mobs kill themselves on your retaliation damage.

I prefer Vire's Might to Blitz, you don't need to target an enemy with VM so it's a more like a movement skill.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah this vire might templar poo poo is dope, I'm loving zooming already andi don't even have any of the MIs

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow grim dawn item assistant is fuckin dope

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Vire’s might is great. I took a character to level 75 of the shattered realm using only self-found gear with vire’s might. Very safe and strong with smooth gameplay.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
If I have a 50% armor piercing weapon and I put a blessed Whetstone on it to increase armor piercing by 50% do I have 100% armor piercing or 75%

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty sure all % bonuses are multiplicative on the base amount, so you would get a 50% increase to 75%. If you get another 50% bonus, it will take it to 100%.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Pretty sure all % bonuses are multiplicative on the base amount, so you would get a 50% increase to 75%. If you get another 50% bonus, it will take it to 100%.

Ah, right on, so a Blessed Whetstone's not going to cut it on a 50% AP 2H weapon to convert to 100% piercing, I'm going to need Silvercore Bolts or stack a bunch of piercing from like Steelheart Girdle and Valdun's set

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow, being able to up the game speed multiplier with griminternals is awesome. it feels so good at like, 1.3 ish, gives me a bit more poe snappiness. i love it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

queeb posted:

wow, being able to up the game speed multiplier with griminternals is awesome. it feels so good at like, 1.3 ish, gives me a bit more poe snappiness. i love it.

1.25 is a good spot for me yeah but the base game is just a bit slow

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I play at 2 or 3x because I’m broken

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Tabletops posted:

I play at 2 or 3x because I’m broken

yeah ive been playing at 2 on my bleed trickster and its hella good. i have to drop it a bit for vires might though cause its way too zoomy at 2

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm getting flashbacks to OG Titan Quest, which was probably 1/3 the speed of Grim Dawn nowadays.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Just got into this game about a week ago (thanks Diablo), and I'm loving it to death. Exactly my cup of tea.

I noticed a new major patch just dropped today. I just started w/ an Arcanist but skimming through the notes I wonder if I should just go w/ a ranged melee class. Seems like they got a major buff??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Just got into this game about a week ago (thanks Diablo), and I'm loving it to death. Exactly my cup of tea.

I noticed a new major patch just dropped today. I just started w/ an Arcanist but skimming through the notes I wonder if I should just go w/ a ranged melee class. Seems like they got a major buff??

Basically every combination is viable

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My problem is that I always get to about level 60 and then start daydreaming about a new combo and want to start one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It is amazing to me that this game still gets patches. Absolutely nuts.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Did anybody have a chance of trying the xbox port of Grim Dawn if it’s any good?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

My problem is that I always get to about level 60 and then start daydreaming about a new combo and want to start one.

i have the same probel but i also have the dawn of masteries mod which multiplies the problem by like 5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Robo Reagan posted:

i have the same probel but i also have the dawn of masteries mod which multiplies the problem by like 5

It sure does lol

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Speaking of Dawn of Masteries, what are the good mods these days?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

How do Retaliation builds even work

I had an Evoker of Elgoroth Vindicator I retooled to a Dawnbreaker's lightning retaliation Savagery build and I don't know what's going on other than I now have way more HP, a shield, and everything explodes when it throws itself at me

Do I even need Offensive ability for the retaliation damage? Can it even crit?
Does physical retaliation get converted to lightning retaliation through %phys to %lighting conversions?
What kind of augments should I be beelining since conventional % lightning damage doesn't apply to the retaliation?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
gave Dawn of Masteries a whirl, wound up getting a time slayer (assassin/riftstalker) going then decided that since last time I played I kind of wanted to play a caster type instead so I started a death lord (nosferatu/necrotic) which might just be the ultimate edgelord class but :shrug:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

For people who have tried grimarillion/Dawn of masteries, any tips on which classes are more balanced and less broken? I tried a rift stalker, and they get an untimered teleport with an AoE explosion, then I tried Neidan, and they get a level 1 passive that heals them for 5% +250 hp per second, gives them 30+energy per second and also gives a ton of resistances. That’s not really what I’m looking for.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Heithinn Grasida posted:

For people who have tried grimarillion/Dawn of masteries, any tips on which classes are more balanced and less broken? I tried a rift stalker, and they get an untimered teleport with an AoE explosion, then I tried Neidan, and they get a level 1 passive that heals them for 5% +250 hp per second, gives them 30+energy per second and also gives a ton of resistances. That’s not really what I’m looking for.

I tried those mods about a year ago and decided none of them were for me for the reasons you are finding

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i use DOM exclusively but only for the QOL non-class stuff, it's a really good compilation mod and I honestly wish it existed without the class component. I asked the mod author if he'd consider doing it, and tried doing it myself but I'm bad and dumb at computer.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tabletops posted:

i use DOM exclusively but only for the QOL non-class stuff, it's a really good compilation mod and I honestly wish it existed without the class component. I asked the mod author if he'd consider doing it, and tried doing it myself but I'm bad and dumb at computer.

Can't you just install the QoL mods by themselves? I thought Dawn was just a compilation mod.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Can't you just install the QoL mods by themselves? I thought Dawn was just a compilation mod.

dawn is fucky with mods. You have to merge a bunch of them for it to work right. Forgot to mention I use it for grimmest+the qol stuff. But yeah if a mod goes in the mod folder you can only use one of them, hence the merge requirements.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tabletops posted:

dawn is fucky with mods. You have to merge a bunch of them for it to work right. Forgot to mention I use it for grimmest+the qol stuff. But yeah if a mod goes in the mod folder you can only use one of them, hence the merge requirements.

Oh ok so not that easy then. That's too bad. I've only messed w/ visual stuff like shaders.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Anybody tried the reign of terror mod? Kind of interested in playing through d1/d2 in the gd engine.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’ve played a little bit— just through the first few areas. My initial impression is that it’s extremely impressive. It has some jankiness inherent to such an ambitious mod, but I think it’s a more interesting remake of d2 than d2r itself.

I’m not a huge fan of d2s skill design, and although the mod makes a lot of changes, overall I don’t think d2’s skills fit well into Grim Dawn. It looks like there are tons of primary offensive skills that fill the same role with different colors of damage and little reason to overlap or change between skills. You still get access to all of the vanilla classes, though so I’ve been thinking of combos like double-necromancer or nightblade/cold-sorc that might be fun.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Necromanciest

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RoT is nice. It's way easier and faster than actual d2/d2r which is a pro or a con depending on how you feel. There's also a lot of GD mechanics just built in to it like necro skellies being able to be summoned without corpses.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I caught covid last week and jumped back into Grim Dawn with the highest character i had after my little one would go to sleep. Hadn't played since probably late 2020. I originally got it in 2016 when doing chemo so I think its a "im fuckin sick let's do some low stakes breaking poo poo" outlet kind of game for me.

My best character was a lvl 76 defiler 2handed vitality life drain playstyle. She's upto 88 now because ultimate fuckin slaps and leveling hasn't really slowed once i switched to ultimate. The character was in the FG act of elite and I just thought why not ultimate.

Ultimate changed the whole game experience where I was just mindlessly smashing poo poo and never having to worry about death or health to getting suddenly being one or 2 shotted (especially by ranged enemies) and having to plan big fights and really think about the terrain and such before I activate a totem.

The first time this happened was when I was in some cave in act 1 or 2 and I rounded a corner with a bunch of white and yellow pistol mobs. Normally I run right at these folks and just tank their shots but this time i got absolutely blasted by all at the same time and essentially being one shotted. *bugsbunnyshockedfacememe.jpg*

I've also had 2 times where I approached a boss and just got loving owned instantly (herald of flame) and whatever boss is just before darkvale gate.

This made me actually go "guess this is as far as I can get with my current stuff" and then pushed me into actually focusing on the build and get revered with 6 of the factions to get augments to my resists up enough to give myself a chance.
Last night took down the herald of flame and whomever that rear end in a top hat guarding the darkvalengate entrance is (he still killed me twice)

Still working my way thru the campaign on ultimate but game still loving owns.

Anyone interested in a the best ARPG buy the game cause you can keep coming back to it and having great and different experiences

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Somehow I never knew this game existed but it very much sounds like someone designed it specifically to appeal to me. How much of the content is tied up in the DLC and are there any major gameplay changes / improvements or do they just add more content and items? Are the DLCs required to unlock a lot of extra endgame build variety?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Ashes and FG add 3 great masteries and a bunch of content and QoL. I wouldn't see myself playing GD without them.

You can skip the crucible DLC if you want.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Get the DLC (can skip crucible, if you don't care about easily leveling chars), I didn't for a while and bought it a year or two later and kicked myself for not getting it, as it's very good, adds a lot of QOL, and easily worth the monies.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods are very worth it if you're going to be getting into GD. All three of the added Masteries are pretty fun.