Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

Looking at Devotion it seems like there are a lot of cool proc abilities, so I was going to try and focus on spamming those. Does only suff that deals % weapon damage work for procs?

Nah I think all attack skills work. Even Flashbang works and it does no damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Shaman totems are actually quite powerful, both wendigo and storm. Got a conjurer using Sigil of Consumption + Wendigo totem and it plays quite nicely.

Also a lightning druid slightly based on the build that's on the oforums, and it kills stuff stupidly easy!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Man, even the Steam guides haven't got a soldier build, lovely or otherwise. I know there's no depth to the click-until-dead class but I just feel like it's not playing well. It does gently caress all damage and I don't have a reliable AoE for mobs. I don't particularly want to multiclass yet since I already feel spread thin at 21...

Also have a Blade Arc Battlemage that is pretty much just a soldier with the arcanist goodies(inner focus, maivens, mirror and arcane will). This is my intended build.

My first levels were putting points in soldier mastery straight to get blade arc and laceration(1 point at the beginning), maxing blade arc and then filling the rest. It's been pretty easy so far and in theory this will be quite strong later too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Mash posted:

I have never used totems (Shaman is the newest class and was added in December '15, I've been playing since like October '14) and have no idea how useful they are, so I can't say.

Canister Bomb does less damage but has a bigger area of effect and can stun. It does mostly Fire damage. Grenado has more damage but in a smaller area. It does mostly Physical damage.

Try both skills out for which one you prefer, then make the decision based on that and build around it. Yes, it's slightly harder to get enough Physique when you don't have Military Conditioning from Soldier, but you'll still be able to wear what you need to when you pump some points into Physique.

Also, "heavy armor" as a concept is unimportant. Armor is a very useless stat in GD. The difference between a medium chest armor and a heavy one is maybe 500 armor on high levels. That comes out to ~300 flat damage reduction. On ultimate, most mobs hit for 2k+ and many for 4k+. Spending 500 Physique to wear heavier armors for 10% damage reduction to physical melee attacks is a complete Waste.

Sounds like Canister is the way to go, since I'm getting small AoE from Explosive Strike/Brimstone.

I didn't realize armour was that useless. Sounds like I'm going to be going Demo/Arcanist from what I hear and not worrying about heavy armour, since the Sphere of Protection sounds like it'll help me out far more. Thanks!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

toasterwarrior posted:

Take both, IMO. Canister for mobs and Grenado for elites, but since the game actually models physics, you can use both against anything with good timing and placement. Tight hallways become deathtraps since canister fragments will all land in close proximity with each other, while grenades will gib packs of enemies should they pack together too tightly in a doorway or whatever.

Agreed. I would take both, and spec Canister for a stun and rank it up just enough to have 7 shards. You use Canister to lock down a battlefield and use Grenades as fuckoff damage.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Royal Scrub posted:

I've tried switching to 2H and so far I'm made of paper and Sky Shards still does more damage. Really I was talking about rerolling anyways though, so I'd presumably go Soldier/X.

Looking at Devotion it seems like there are a lot of cool proc abilities, so I was going to try and focus on spamming those. Does only suff that deals % weapon damage work for procs? I'm also not seeing anything class-wise that would let me focus on attack speed. I basically want to build a D2 procadin.

Thanks for this, currently trying it out.

Keep in mind that you can only assign a single devotion proc to an ability. So unless you're investing in 5 active skills (bad idea) you'll realistically only be able to use one or two procs. However, there are some procs that are assigned to passives or toggles instead, though these are more likely to be retaliation or defensive procs and heals.

e: you will be able to get a ton of additional procs from equipment though (like, a TON), so the procadin is defintely doable, just relies a bit more on the rng than you might be hoping.

Mover fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 6, 2016

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

madstrike posted:

Also have a Blade Arc Battlemage that is pretty much just a soldier with the arcanist goodies(inner focus, maivens, mirror and arcane will). This is my intended build.

You should consider ditching Arcane Will, lowering Fighting Spirit to 1 point and then taking Arcanist to 25 for the Elemental Balance modifier for Iskandras instead. Only take 1 point in Iskandras itself obviously. Doing so will give you a more reliable crit damage modifier that is always on and give you more health from the mastery points themselves. Total damage is not nearly as good a stat as it seems on paper, as I mentioned in my previous post on stat priorities.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

The Mash posted:

Very helpful info!

So I too am now addicted to this game, but I have few mechanics related questions:

1. From what I gathered, we should focus on a particular damage type? Say, poison type dmg. So does that mean that items that adds +%fire dmg won't add to the poison dmg? Also, only poison dmg based skills will be modified by +poison modifiers right? I am bit confused with all the different dmg types and how to stack them properly. :ohdear: Also, won't mobs with high poison resist destroy me if I stack on poison dmg?

2. What stats transfer to pets? I am currently running a pet build (I am lazy :P) but I am not sure if any of the +% dmg/OA/DA/devotion buffs/etc stuff actually get transferred to pets, I feel like that they don't, and only pet-only stats transfer to pets. Doesn't this mean that pet build won't scale well? What stats gets transferred/split to pets? On a related note, seems that you can assign aura/on-hit type celestial powers to pets but not active powers? But somehow I can assign the poison spike ability to pets (so they can trigger it on hit) but I can't assign things like "shepherd's call". I am really confused what can or cannot be assigned to pets... (Is there a way to have more than 3 permanent pets? So far it seems only the crow, hellhound and the tree thingy from shaman line are permanent)

3. Is there any pet taunt skills? I hate to just run around in circles whenever I cast curse of frailty or when mob decide to ignore my pets to beeline to me...

4. I am interested in also rolling a DW character, but I'd like to have a build that does less standing around and default attack all the time, is there a more active build that is viable for ultimate? Related, for dodge based dmg mitigation, won't that leave your character more susceptible to RNG spike dmg? Since unlike flat dmg mitigation, sometimes those hit will NOT be mitigated at all right? Won't this make dodge builds dependent on also having high HP and self heal? Is this even viable?

5. I LOVE the guns in this game, but it seems that gun builds are not viable? Ideally I like to do gun+pet so I don't have to kite so much, but seems that even the gun + sword and shield weapon switch builds are not very viable at ultimate difficulties?

6. Are faction-gated gear good? And are they static or do they randomize and scale as you level and buy items from the faction vendors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely hooked to the game and it frustrates me greatly that after almost 30 hrs I still don't know anything... Don't even get me started on crafting...

Edit: 7. Is there a way to power level? I tried to play with a friend (me level 40, him level 2) and obviously that doesn't work. Is there actually a way to help friends level? Thanks!

lethial fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 6, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mash posted:

Dahbadu, you may wanna put these lists somewhere in the OP. Armor is the craziest newbie trap of an ARPG ever and DA in its current form is close behind it.

I'm not convinced that ranking up Physique to levels to equip heavy armor and weapons/shields for tanky builds is a trap. You also get Defense and Health/Regen from Physique, which adds to survivability. The additive damage bonus from Cunning and Spirit is nice and alll, but I think it's a mistake to build your character in a way that makes it difficult to equip items and weapons you want to use.

Based off the end-game numbers, although not as good as other forms of damage mitigation, cutting a flat 500 damage off a 2k damage hit is nothing to sneeze at, especially when combined with percentage damage mitigation. Importantly, Armor is effective throughout a Veteran playthrough, and many players will be spending a lot of time on their Veteran playthroughs due to how massive the game is. I originally said 40 hours, but a thorough playthrough (clearing every map) is taking me way longer than that.

I appreciate the info you're posting in the thread (e.g. the Cadence third attack doesn't count as a default attack for purposes of proccing stuff that procs off of default attacks), but I'm a little wary of some opinions that can limit how people play the game. I'll be updating the OP later today or tomorrow, including more advice -- some of which I will be stealing from your posts.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mash posted:

"Attack-until-dead" characters that focus on default attacks are extremely viable and come in four general forms:

-Dual Wield Blademaster (Soldier/NB) with the top row of passives in NB except the acid one. This has been the strongest character in most previous versions of the game and scales exceptionally well with good items. At the moment, legendary items are quite weak, making this build less OP, but the next patch should buff most of them. From Soldier you take Mil Con, Oleron and maybe field command/squad tactics. From NB all the DW skills + Pneumatic/Shadow Dance + Anatomy of Murder. You van focus on Physical or Pierce or mix them a bit. Devotions: Oleron and Unknown Soldier.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/QYxHLj
Choose the remaining skills from: Dual Blades (if you focus on Pierce damage), Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Shadowstrike, Veil of Shadow+Nights Chill, Markovian's Advantage

-Sword and Board Blademaster with mostly defensives from NB. Very strong right now as shield builds in general are strong. Can run Cadence as its autoattack, or Troll/Beronath like the rest. Same skills from NB as above minus DW skills. You can stop at 32 pts NB with this whereas DW has to go 50 Soldier 50 Nightblade. Devotions: Probably Behemoth and Targos, maybe Tree of Life.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/WJbGAw
Choose the remaining skills from: Oleron's Rage/Menhirs Bulwark (you MUST pick one of these and max it), the Cadence line, Forcewave, Blitz, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhirs Will, War Cry+Break Morale,

-Spellbreaker DW (Arcanist/Nightblade). Focuses on dodge for primary defense through Shadow Dance and Maivens. Does Cold/elemental damage. Very passive-heavy with DW from NB and Iskandras+Maivens+the Spirit/OA one in Arcanist. Key strength: Very good itemization atm 50-75, some of the best for any build. Devotions: Whirlpool I think its called. Anything with elemental damage, dodge and OA.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/irNKH1
Choose the remaining skills from: Conversion (1 pt), Merciless Repertoire, Dual Blades, Shadow Strike, Ring of Steel, Veil of Shadow, Nightfall

-2h Warder (Soldier/Shaman). Savagery+passive procs in both trees. Very high HP through double HP passives. Can get high OA+DA too. No great legendary 2hs atm but good green ones are fine. A bit sluggish until you get attack speed/total speed. Uses Savagery for default attack. Devotions: Olerons and Targos probably.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/Dtym9w
Choose the remaining skills from: Tenacity of the Boar, Markovian's Advantage, Zolhan's Technique, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhir's Will, Fighting Spirit (1 pt)

All four of these are viable on Ultimate. Stack attackspeed, OA and your primary damage. For defenses stack HP and resists, also dodge for NB/Arcanist.

2H uses Savagery as default attack. Sword and Board (use Mace/Axe, not sword) can use Cadence if maxed with modifiers. Otherwise all use Mistborn Talisman or Shard of Beronath as default attack.

Thanks. I added this to the OP.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, after gearing up to have Physique enough to wear the 431+ tier armor, I can say that the difference in survivability is night and day compared to my previously 300 Physique char. I was dying to literally everything in elite and now I'm finally able to proceed and even take on enemy heros.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It doesn't help that Act 1 Elite throws a bunch of nasty mobs with pierce at you almost immediately.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Stats are still in the process of being balanced, I believe. Cunning gave a ton of offensive ability until one or two patches ago and everyone wanted some, even casters, and now it's much weaker, for example. At the same time, the devs have gone on record that Ultimate difficulty at least will have incoming damage tuned down some, so it's not clear how necessary lots of vitality will be by the time the "official" release comes through. Not sure if they'll ever let us respec stat points/masteries or if we'll need to start characters over when everything's finalized.

If you're going hardcore though, full vitality is a great idea and you really won't miss the extra damage when you get plenty from masteries.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

I'm not convinced that ranking up Physique to levels to equip heavy armor and weapons/shields for tanky builds is a trap. You also get Defense and Health/Regen from Physique, which adds to survivability. The additive damage bonus from Cunning and Spirit is nice and alll, but I think it's a mistake to build your character in a way that makes it difficult to equip items and weapons you want to use.

Based off the end-game numbers, although not as good as other forms of damage mitigation, cutting a flat 500 damage off a 2k damage hit is nothing to sneeze at, especially when combined with percentage damage mitigation. Importantly, Armor is effective throughout a Veteran playthrough, and many players will be spending a lot of time on their Veteran playthroughs due to how massive the game is. I originally said 40 hours, but a thorough playthrough (clearing every map) is taking me way longer than that.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, after gearing up to have Physique enough to wear the 431+ tier armor, I can say that the difference in survivability is night and day compared to my previously 300 Physique char. I was dying to literally everything in elite and now I'm finally able to proceed and even take on enemy heros.

The increased survivability from Physique primarily comes through Health and to a degree through Defensive Ability, both of which directly increase as you pump more points into Physique. I'm not in any way saying high Physique is a trap (though it should always be your second highest stat, unless maybe if you play hardcore). The problem is that Armor does nothing. It's not 500 damage off 2k hits. 2k hits are on the lower end of Ultimate, a realistic average is 3k or so. And a 500 increase in armor is only a 375 increase in damage reduction, not 500. And finally, whenever a mob hits you, it rolls for which part of you gets hit and only the armor in that area protects you. This means that increasing your chestpiece's armor by 500 will do basically nothing for your survability, as it is burst damage that kills you on Ultimate 95% of the time, which will happen when the monster happens to roll a hit on your head or your legs or your shoulders etc instead. High armor is functionally useless unless 1) you can increase every slot by at least 500 AND 2) you're running a solid amount of %damage absorption on top, as it is applied before armor.

(see also http://grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of balance, did anyone else have problems with bolvar, the bloodbinder? It seemed like a huuuge difficulty spike for me, even on normal. He summoned creatures by hurling meteors and if you were up close it was a guaranteed one hit kill.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Mash posted:

The increased survivability from Physique primarily comes through Health and to a degree through Defensive Ability, both of which directly increase as you pump more points into Physique. I'm not in any way saying high Physique is a trap (though it should always be your second highest stat, unless maybe if you play hardcore). The problem is that Armor does nothing. It's not 500 damage off 2k hits. 2k hits are on the lower end of Ultimate, a realistic average is 3k or so. And a 500 increase in armor is only a 375 increase in damage reduction, not 500. And finally, whenever a mob hits you, it rolls for which part of you gets hit and only the armor in that area protects you. This means that increasing your chestpiece's armor by 500 will do basically nothing for your survability, as it is burst damage that kills you on Ultimate 95% of the time, which will happen when the monster happens to roll a hit on your head or your legs or your shoulders etc instead. High armor is functionally useless unless 1) you can increase every slot by at least 500 AND 2) you're running a solid amount of %damage absorption on top, as it is applied before armor.

lol I forgot that the game goes a little dwarf fortress-y and rolls for specific body parts to get hit, yeah.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

nerdz posted:

Speaking of balance, did anyone else have problems with bolvar, the bloodbinder? It seemed like a huuuge difficulty spike for me, even on normal. He summoned creatures by hurling meteors and if you were up close it was a guaranteed one hit kill.

Running my Hulk Grenadier build, I basically just drank a Chaos Resist potion and facetanked him. The little monsters would swarm me, but my AoE damage (centered on the boss) would clear them out for the most part. Constantly keep up roars and flashbangs. Periodically I had to back off to wait for my healing potions to come off of cooldown.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

Sure, but I think high physique works in a RNG way as well. If you don't bump up your physique enough, chances are you'll find a lot of great rares and uniques you won't be able to equip due to the stat requirements. The physique requirements are crazy high for some reason.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

lethial posted:

So I too am now addicted to this game, but I have few mechanics related questions:

quote:

1. From what I gathered, we should focus on a particular damage type? Say, poison type dmg. So does that mean that items that adds +%fire dmg won't add to the poison dmg? Also, only poison dmg based skills will be modified by +poison modifiers right? I am bit confused with all the different dmg types and how to stack them properly. :ohdear: Also, won't mobs with high poison resist destroy me if I stack on poison dmg?

Correct on all counts. The only way to do "mixed" damage unless a given skill already does mixed damage is if your skill has a %weapon damage modifier. In that case, flat bonuses to damage from ALL sources will be added in whatever ratio the %weapon damage on the skill suggests. So if you have a poison damage skill that does 300 poison damage and 10% weapon damage and you're wearing a sword that does 50 physical damage, a ring that adds +10 fire damage and a devotion skill that adds +100 lightning damage, your skill will end up doing 300 poison, 5 physical, 1 fire and 10 lightning damage. That is before % multipliers of course. If you have a belt with +100% fire damage, that damage doubles to 2. Etc. This is why it's always best to stack one damage type.

Here's my most clear example for why you should always stack one damage type: Let's say rings can give +50% to one type of damage and amulets and medals each can give +50 flat to one type of damage.

If you split:
+50 cold damage
+50 lightning damage
+50% cold damage
+50% lightning damage
= 75 cold damage, 75 lightning damage = 150 damage

If you don't split:
+50 cold damage
+50 cold damage
+50% cold damage
+50% cold damage
= 200 cold damage

The only time you should split is if you have a lot of modifiers that add to both, and if both sources are within the same base stat (cunning/spirit). You CAN stack physical and pierce together to a degree, as your cunning will boost both and as there are lots of items that boost both. You can also stack elemental damage as the +% elemental damage modifier adds to all three elements (cold/fire/lightning). Flat elemental damage, however, gets divided into thirds and adds each element that way, making it less useful than % elemental damage. If you absolutely must split damage types, %total damage can help a bit too, though items with %total damage are typically underbudgetted as a result.

quote:

2. What stats transfer to pets? I am currently running a pet build (I am lazy :P) but I am not sure if any of the +% dmg/OA/DA/devotion buffs/etc stuff actually get transferred to pets, I feel like that they don't, and only pet-only stats transfer to pets. Doesn't this mean that pet build won't scale well? What stats gets transferred/split to pets? On a related note, seems that you can assign aura/on-hit type celestial powers to pets but not active powers? But somehow I can assign the poison spike ability to pets (so they can trigger it on hit) but I can't assign things like "shepherd's call". I am really confused what can or cannot be assigned to pets... (Is there a way to have more than 3 permanent pets? So far it seems only the crow, hellhound and the tree thingy from shaman line are permanent)

It'll say on any given pet/totem/clone/trap skill whether it scales with pet bonuses or player bonuses. Player bonuses are all the things that buff you too. Pet bonuses are the specific bonus stats to pets listed on some items. It's one or the other, I don't think anything scales with both. If you're doing a pet build, you'll want lots of pet bonuses on your gear and generally forego doing real damage yourself. You should focus on being tanky and maybe having debuffs instead.

Auras will apply to your pets as with other allies. Devotion assignment feels slightly arbitrary at the moment, but generally "on attack" procs can be applied to offensive spells and "on hit", "on block" etc can be applied to buffs, auras, etc.

You can have more permanent pets. Shaman have two pets too and some items allow you to summon permanent pets. Off the top of my head, there's the Grimoire of Og'Napesh (spelling) and a relic, I think Savage. There's also a bunch of temporary pets from items and devotions.

quote:

3. Is there any pet taunt skills? I hate to just run around in circles whenever I cast curse of frailty or when mob decide to ignore my pets to beeline to me...
I don't think so.

quote:

4. I am interested in also rolling a DW character, but I'd like to have a build that does less standing around and default attack all the time, is there a more active build that is viable for ultimate? Related, for dodge based dmg mitigation, won't that leave your character more susceptible to RNG spike dmg? Since unlike flat dmg mitigation, sometimes those hit will NOT be mitigated at all right? Won't this make dodge builds dependent on also having high HP and self heal? Is this even viable?
DW builds can be more active if you max some of the cool-down damage skills in Soldier or Nightblade alongside the DW skills. Shadowstrike, Blitz, etc. DW characters are quite active even without the extra skills though, as they typically move and attack very fast and kill single targets very fast, so there's lots of movement and switching targets involved.

Yeah, dodge builds absolutely need a strong HP pool too. My DW Blademaster has 15k HP and 40% melee dodge, 50% ranged dodge and is still very squishy on Ultimate, to give a frame of reference.

quote:

5. I LOVE the guns in this game, but it seems that gun builds are not viable? Ideally I like to do gun+pet so I don't have to kite so much, but seems that even the gun + sword and shield weapon switch builds are not very viable at ultimate difficulties?
The best physical damage weapon currently in the game as far as itemization goes is a 1-hand pistol. By a MILE. Gun+pet seems a waste as you won't be able to scale both. Dual pistol is very viable, rifle builds are very viable and pistol+shield builds are probably quite viable too.

quote:

6. Are faction-gated gear good? And are they static or do they randomize and scale as you level and buy items from the faction vendors?
They can be OK, but they're almost never best-in-slot. They are static and come in two versions for the greens: level 35 and 70. The stats can vary by about 10% from game to game, so you may want to reset the game a couple times if you're buying one (applies to both their blue and green items).

quote:

Edit: 7. Is there a way to power level? I tried to play with a friend (me level 40, him level 2) and obviously that doesn't work. Is there actually a way to help friends level? Thanks!
You used to be able to power level by bringing a low level player into a high level game and killing high level mobs next to him. If that has been nerfed, I think the fastest way is to power someone through quests, which give a lot of XP.

nerdz posted:

Sure, but I think high physique works in a RNG way as well. If you don't bump up your physique enough, chances are you'll find a lot of great rares and uniques you won't be able to equip due to the stat requirements. The physique requirements are crazy high for some reason.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having high physique. There's everything wrong with having high physique because you want to wear items because of their armor value. Two different things :)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Basically, based off of math theory crafting and experience, I see Armor as a way of reducing the deadliness of getting swarmed by trash mobs. For example, in that Bloodbinder fight, did my high armor help against the damage spikes of the boss? No, not really, but it let me not be as worried about the several trash monsters biting at me while I was focusing my efforts on the boss.

But yes, resistances and percentage damage reduction is more powerful in terms of prioritization.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I'll probably be streaming a couple hours of Bastion of Chaos Ultimate farming if anyone wants to see what the current endgame looks like

http://www.twitch.tv/hashtagmash

85 Blademaster, focused on Pierce with some Physical damage.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

There is one pet taunt, the briarthorn's thorn spike attack has some taunt value says the tooltips.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Hellhound has a taunt, doesn't it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Mash posted:

Dual pistol is very viable,

I can dual wield pistols?! :shepface:

I was running around with gun and shield in the first area last night.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Go here: http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/search

and paste this:

enables the ability to dual wield ranged

You need one of these items to dual wield pistols

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Loved Titan Quest, and unsurprisingly I'm having a great time with this so far.

Currently playing an Occultist because pink and green spell effects are superior to all others. Tossing Dreeg's Evil Eye around and dropping a Sigil of Consumption when things get hectic feels pretty good. I'll probably go with Soldier as my secondary since I'm using a shield and would like lots of life regen options.

My only complaint is relatively minor, but I notice a lot of spells/shots getting blocked by level geometry. It feels like there should be a bit more leeway. If I try to shoot someone through a huge tree, fine, but if there's a minor bump in the ground or a branch between myself and the target it should still connect.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, when trying to funnel the AI into a chokepoint or doorway the melee guys play fine but the ranged ones just shoot the wall forever. Bastards...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I want to like this game but I'm running into the same trouble I had with Path of Exile: It just feels dull. I get that it's a post-apocalyptic world but it doesn't feel post-apocalyptic in an interesting way like Dark Souls or something did. I've played about one and a half hours so obviously I only saw the first area which was a ruined village, a muddy field and a literal trash dump, populated by regular zombies and crab-monsters. Does the world get more interesting later on?

I also didn't really feel like the abilities had much punch but I assume that's just due to being low-level and my abilities being 'shoot gun' and 'throw grenade'.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think I'm playing my classes wrong, but it's really fun, at least as early as I am(level 16). Shaman/Arcanist, with Primal Strike and Devouring Swarm maxed, and a few points in Iskandra's Elemental Exchange 'cause the MP absorb sounded good(I can't tell if its helping, but it was probably a waste of a class). I shoot bugs, gamble on lightning strikes, and run away making Zoidberg noises when I meet bosses, which are hella fun on Veteran and actually require me to think and dance.

Thinking I might restart and pick another sub-class. If I did, what would be a good choice? Really the only thing I'm unhappy with is lack of mana, as potions are expensive and so much less cool than new equipment. Also, do 2-handed weapons start dropping more frequently later? 'Cause I've had to buy all mine, not a single drop that wasn't white, whereas I've gotten tons of blue/greens for everything else.

Also also, if an item says "+XX% Elemental Damage", does it increase damage from using that element or am I doing extra elemental damage?

zidane13 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 6, 2016

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you so much The Mash! You just made itemization much more difficult but interesting for me... lol now I can't just grab things with the most +%s :P

With regard to pets though, I thought the 2nd pet in the shaman class is the 50-point one that is temporary (spirit beast of some sort?). My goal is to fill up my screen with as many pets as possible :P

What class combo is best for dw guns or guns shield or just rifles? I am guessing soldier+NB or soldier+Arcane?

thank you so much!

@suuma and geo, I thought those were just AOE abilities for the pets... hmmm I need to try them out. Thanks!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

zidane13 posted:

I think I'm playing my classes wrong, but it's really fun, at least as early as I am(level 16). Shaman/Arcanist, with Primal Strike and Devouring Swarm maxed, and a few points in Iskandra's Elemental Exchange 'cause the MP absorb sounded good(I can't tell if its helping, but it was probably a waste of a class). I shoot bugs, gamble on lightning strikes, and run away making Zoidberg noises when I meet bosses, which are hella fun on Veteran and actually require me to think and dance.

Thinking I might restart and pick another sub-class. If I did, what would be a good choice? Really the only thing I'm unhappy with is lack of mana, as potions are expensive and so much less cool than new equipment. Also, do 2-handed weapons start dropping more frequently later? 'Cause I've had to buy all mine, not a single drop that wasn't white, whereas I've gotten tons of blue/greens for everything else.

If you want to focus on primal strike/lightning damage then arcanist is great. Just grab the +offensive ability passive and +elemental damage skills and maybe the damage reduction bubble as you get to higher difficulties and have the mp to spare.

If you like the vitality damage and big self heal from the swarm, then occultist or soldier would probably be better secondaries depending on if you want to be more caster focused or more melee.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Oh cool so I didn't waste my secondary. Yeah I'm really enjoying calling down lightning, makes for tense fights when it just won't activate and suddenly ZAP they're all dead. Swarm is really useful for its healing/range/debuffing but it's boring aside from that; I usually imagine it as shooting bees out, even if it's probably mosquitoes.

What constellations should I be gunning for? I kinda just chose a few at random, heading towards that whirlpool-looking one 'cause... well it looks cool and inviting.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

zidane13 posted:

Oh cool so I didn't waste my secondary. Yeah I'm really enjoying calling down lightning, makes for tense fights when it just won't activate and suddenly ZAP they're all dead. Swarm is really useful for its healing/range/debuffing but it's boring aside from that; I usually imagine it as shooting bees out, even if it's probably mosquitoes.

What constellations should I be gunning for? I kinda just chose a few at random, heading towards that whirlpool-looking one 'cause... well it looks cool and inviting.

Yeah, I'd probably drop swarm once you get comfortable with your survival and grab wendigo totem for healing and wind devils for ranged damage/another damage layer while you're smacking dudes with the big two hander. The second passive on wind devil also has a really strong elemental resistance debuff on it. I've been leaving the basic wind devils at one point and then pumping up the two passives.

Tsunami is a good first constellation, you'll get a lot of extra aoe from the final proc and make good use of the damage bonuses. When you get everything going on a shaman and have tidal waves and chain lightning and tornadoes flying out your rear end every few seconds you really start to feel like a force of nature.

Devotion is really good for resists, percent health and percent OA so try to look for those above elemental bonuses or anything like that.

I like dryad, tortoise, sailor's guide and light of empyrion on nearly everyone. Look at targo the builder and lion as well, but probably after those.

Mover fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 6, 2016

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Thanks for the help, I have a better idea of how I'm gonna build my, uh, build.

Now if only I could find a better(preferably also bigger) weapon, the game seems to hate giving me 2handers that aren't guns. So many guns.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Pierson posted:

I want to like this game but I'm running into the same trouble I had with Path of Exile: It just feels dull. I get that it's a post-apocalyptic world but it doesn't feel post-apocalyptic in an interesting way like Dark Souls or something did. I've played about one and a half hours so obviously I only saw the first area which was a ruined village, a muddy field and a literal trash dump, populated by regular zombies and crab-monsters. Does the world get more interesting later on?

I also didn't really feel like the abilities had much punch but I assume that's just due to being low-level and my abilities being 'shoot gun' and 'throw grenade'.

I would give it a bit more time. I wasn't super into the first half of Act 1, but it gets a lot more interesting after you rebuild the bridge IMO. I pumped too much into my 50 class points at first too, because I wanted to check out all the skills. Make sure you're doing enough damage. Your abilities should have punch even on Veteran. (also play Veteran :black101:)

Edit- I forgot about fighting 40 goblins at once before the bridge. Game owns

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I can dual wield pistols?! :shepface:

I was running around with gun and shield in the first area last night.

With gear that gives that ability, yes.

I recall playing this during the beta and getting close to the ending areas a few months past, I ran with a dual-wielding demolitionist/soldier. I did ok.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

lethial posted:

With regard to pets though, I thought the 2nd pet in the shaman class is the 50-point one that is temporary (spirit beast of some sort?). My goal is to fill up my screen with as many pets as possible :P

That pet ownssss. Teleports and fucks up elites real good. It has 50% uptime so you'll usually have it up when needed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
one fun thing about depending on armor affixes to give you the stat requirements you need to equip armor: I took out one ring and suddenly I can't equip any of my armor anymore, even after putting it back on again.

EDIT: I'm constantly running out of money. Is there a faster way to make money in this game?

nerdz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 7, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I just unlocked my first devotion point.

Jesus. I don't even... .what?

So... many... choices...

:negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fintilgin posted:

I just unlocked my first devotion point.

Jesus. I don't even... .what?

No, this is only the beginning. Roll a d10 if you have to, you'll find something for every class down every devotion tree. But then you'll start developing your playstyle and realize "hey I want this one" and you'll start looking for ways to get the affinities you want to get to where you want to be without having to spend anything else on lovely Crossroads and you'll start justifying poo poo like "but I don't do Pierce but I do some Bleed and I really need the Aetherial Affinity hnnnngh" :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The White Dragon posted:

No, this is only the beginning. Roll a d10 if you have to, you'll find something for every class down every devotion tree. But then you'll start developing your playstyle and realize "hey I want this one" and you'll start looking for ways to get the affinities you want to get to where you want to be without having to spend anything else on lovely Crossroads and you'll start justifying poo poo like "but I don't do Pierce but I do some Bleed and I really need the Aetherial Affinity hnnnngh" :unsmigghh:

Well, I figured the odds of my playing through the higher difficulties is low (I'm more likely to restart and run the game with a totally different build), so I'm never going to get that many affinity points, so I decided to go with the eagle(?) to the lower right because I think it gives a total of +25 physical damage which will probably be always useful and cool sounding attack birds.