Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shibawanko posted:

for me, just all the natural parks and remote areas. this might not be particularly spectacular if you're from alaska or canada or something but to me it's probably one of the most beautiful places ive ever visited, especially shiretoko and that whole area. there's also more obscure places like rishiri and rebun islands and i liked abashiri prison museum. i like hokkaido because it feels pretty wild and remote, more like siberia than like japan
I live in the Irish countryside so parks and remote areas aren't generally a big deal to me, but we hardly ever get snow here so if the views are anything like in Banff in Canada it might be nice to check out! The prison museum could be interesting for sure.

peanut posted:

There's a mountain in Aomori (Osore-san, Mt. Fear!!!). Hokkaido has huge volcanoes.
Go to Hakodate, mate. It's a port town with historic buildings and stupid nice views. It's got that castle with the star-shaped moat.
Thanks! I'll add these to our to-do shortlist. I'm not big on historic buildings etc but my friends are into that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Here are many jobs for computer touchers
https://mixess.jp/s/y55/

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's it like flying into Japan right now for people who are allowed to enter (Japanese nationals, residents etc.)? I looked on their Foreign Ministry website and it's saying there is a 14 day quarantine upon landing and that you cannot travel via public transport?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

What's it like flying into Japan right now for people who are allowed to enter (Japanese nationals, residents etc.)? I looked on their Foreign Ministry website and it's saying there is a 14 day quarantine upon landing and that you cannot travel via public transport?

You land, you have to take a test on-site, and wait for those results. I believe part of the wait is at Narita in those cardboard units. But then from there you’re not allowed to travel by public transit, so no train or bus. There are hotels nearby where you can also do the 14-day quarantine. Don’t think the government is covering that cost at all.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Just FYI in case you missed it, but residents are still basically not allowed to enter unless they meet some special conditions.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

DiscoJ posted:

Just FYI in case you missed it, but residents are still basically not allowed to enter unless they meet some special conditions.

Any resident can get in starting in like 2 days from now as I recall

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

harperdc posted:

You land, you have to take a test on-site, and wait for those results. I believe part of the wait is at Narita in those cardboard units. But then from there you’re not allowed to travel by public transit, so no train or bus. There are hotels nearby where you can also do the 14-day quarantine. Don’t think the government is covering that cost at all.

How long does the test take? So in theory one would have to take a taxi or be picked up to leave the airport if they want to quarantine at their home?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

I believe part of the wait is at Narita in those cardboard units.

There's homeless ppl at Narita now?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

How long does the test take? So in theory one would have to take a taxi or be picked up to leave the airport if they want to quarantine at their home?

idk exactly what test they're using but China had the same basic flow and it was like 5-6 hours for a result, this was in like late March tho so things might have sped up significantly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

There's homeless ppl at Narita now?

News story from April and they were apparently still there in June when my BIL came back from the States. I’m sure they’re changed out regularly.

I’m trying to remember how many tests there were - but I know he went Airport —> a hotel —> a second hotel where he stayed for 2 weeks.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

Any resident can get in starting in like 2 days from now as I recall

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001074.html has the details.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

idk exactly what test they're using but China had the same basic flow and it was like 5-6 hours for a result, this was in like late March tho so things might have sped up significantly.

tests in Hawaii have results back in like 40 minutes or so, there may be ever faster out there somewhere else, idk

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 3, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

- Applies to spouse, dependant, PR and long-term (work) visas
- Applies to new entrants that qualify for those visa statuses
- Applies to travelers who left Japan before the travel ban
- Requires letter from JP consulate in foreign region
- Requires negative covid test within 72 hours of flight

In summary, casual re-entry is still not happening.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
mofa deez nutz

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

mofa deez nutz

:hai:

And yeah that still doesn’t clearly extend things to those with all kinds of residence/work visas.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh has Japan even considered me, the random tourist who wants to walk around Kyoto annoying the locals? It’s like they haven’t even taken my feelings into consideration.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they 100% have

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i reckon pretty much everyone in Kyoto that doesn't own an airbnb is over the moon about corona

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

i reckon pretty much everyone in Kyoto that doesn't own an airbnb is over the moon about corona

Or a tourism business. But it’s a definite monkey-paw moment for all the locals that “didn’t like tourists.”

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

Or a tourism business. But it’s a definite monkey-paw moment for all the locals that “didn’t like tourists.”

nah they're getting tons of business from the rest of japan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

Uh has Japan even considered me, the random tourist who wants to walk around Kyoto annoying the locals? It’s like they haven’t even taken my feelings into consideration.

just watching this comment and thread through the lens of China LAN

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just to be clear, in case it didn't come across, I was being super sarcastic. When I went last year the "over all these tourists" feeling was palpable :(

Still loved it though :q:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Japanese locals are the biggest crybabies in Asia about tourism, no real surprises there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Japanese locals are the biggest crybabies in Asia about tourism, no real surprises there.

Tourism in Japan has increased a truly ridiculous amount though. From 8.4mm in 2012 to 31.9mm in 2019; I believe actually nowhere in the world increased that much as a percentage and very few increased anywhere near that in absolute numbers. There has absolutely been more strain put on tourism infrastructure than just about anywhere else and it’s not surprising there’s some.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Tourism in Japan has increased a truly ridiculous amount though. From 8.4mm in 2012 to 31.9mm in 2019; I believe actually nowhere in the world increased that much as a percentage and very few increased anywhere near that in absolute numbers. There has absolutely been more strain put on tourism infrastructure than just about anywhere else and it’s not surprising there’s some.

They’re lucky they are able to see the exponential growth in profits from tourism and percentage of GDP contribution that other countries aren’t or can’t get. If they don’t want to just complain about tourism then they should establish policies and cultural practices that encourage their population to grow instead of decline and harbor innovation and retain highly skilled workers. Support younger people and workers and families better. Maybe change their ludicrous anti-foreigner worker policies.

A lot of people are coming to Tokyo sky tree or the one or two blocks of Kyoto that tourists might find especially interesting. Okay, what can those areas do right now organically to grow economically or practically without tourists? Don’t say they don’t want to or don’t need to because they do and because there are towns across Japan dying off every year due to attrition and lack of interest. What I am saying is simple, it’s that Japanese policies at every level are leading them to being a country dependent on increasing tourism, so they should stop complaining about those tourists propping then up when there is no other choice.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I brought up the idea of my company letting me work out of one of our Japanese offices with my manager and he was open to the idea. So that's cool.

He proposed having me go over to Japan for a couple months on a tourist visa and try working remotely with my current team to see if it actually works out for me and for the team (I'd have to work 5AM to 1PM local time to have any significant overlap with my team).

So now it's just a waiting game for when the border opens up to foreign nationals.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

So now it's just a waiting game for when the border opens up to foreign nationals.

i'm afraid i have some bad news regarding that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shammypants posted:

They’re lucky they are able to see the exponential growth in profits from tourism and percentage of GDP contribution that other countries aren’t or can’t get. If they don’t want to just complain about tourism then they should establish policies and cultural practices that encourage their population to grow instead of decline and harbor innovation and retain highly skilled workers. Support younger people and workers and families better. Maybe change their ludicrous anti-foreigner worker policies.

A lot of people are coming to Tokyo sky tree or the one or two blocks of Kyoto that tourists might find especially interesting. Okay, what can those areas do right now organically to grow economically or practically without tourists? Don’t say they don’t want to or don’t need to because they do and because there are towns across Japan dying off every year due to attrition and lack of interest. What I am saying is simple, it’s that Japanese policies at every level are leading them to being a country dependent on increasing tourism, so they should stop complaining about those tourists propping then up when there is no other choice.

drat, all this time we've been worrying about earthquakes and godzilla, but really it's this rear end in a top hat not being able to come to japan when he wants that spells the end of the country. :japan:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Stringent posted:

drat, all this time we've been worrying about earthquakes and godzilla, but really it's this rear end in a top hat not being able to come to japan when he wants that spells the end of the country. :japan:

Yea if it weren’t for tourists Japan would be in real trouble you’re right

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah, i don't know how japan is going to weather this instagrammers posting ramen pictures gap. truly harrowing times.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

drat you’re both impressively stupid and misinformed; do yourself and everyone a favor and just stay in the US which apparently has fantastic policies and politicians.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

drat you’re both impressively stupid and misinformed; do yourself and everyone a favor and just stay in the US which apparently has fantastic policies and politicians.

nice semicolon

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Go on. Make sure to talk about how the Japanese government doesn't care about local complaints of incivility or noise and plans to forge ahead with 60 million visitors by 2030 whether you think it's not important to the country or not.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
abenomics 3.0: ham faced goons in airbnbs subsisting on Family Mart and Mr. Donut

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

abenomics 3.0: ham faced goons in airbnbs subsisting on Family Mart and Mr. Donut

mods, thread title plx

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shammypants posted:

Go on. Make sure to talk about how the Japanese government doesn't care about local complaints of incivility or noise and plans to forge ahead with 60 million visitors by 2030 whether you think it's not important to the country or not.

Nah. Your entire argument is just a rehash of the typical bitter expat/business traveler bullshit about how locals should grovel to you more and very much not worth addressing in detail

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

im a lawson man

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

mods, thread title plx

It happened!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Midjack posted:

It happened!

\o/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

i'm afraid i have some bad news regarding that

They're *probably* going to re-open to foreign nationals sometime in 2021.