Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
cant be better than when they drifted through in it fnf tokyo drift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Not even close to the right thread.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

If you've been watching Alice in Borderlands on netflix, what did you think of the Shibuya shot before the credits in the first ep?

if that's the one I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure it was confirmed it was CGI, but I haven't seen the English title. but if it's that survival horror 'game' show that came recently to Netflix yes I think that's it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's CG. Also I've had enough of Japanese entertainment building tension with young men having indecisive screaming meltdowns at each other, instead of building character and story in any other way at all. So one episode was enough for me.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

There is a fake Shibuya crossing set that can be used for TV and movies:

https://ashikaga-scramble.com/en/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ganguro King posted:

Ah, that explains why so much of it looked real. When the scene happened I was like, there is no way that is the real location but it looks so real.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ganguro King posted:

Surely this has been used in a JAV at some point? Hell they're even using JR stations these days, google DANDY-744

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

sale on Banksy art posted:

It's CG. Also I've had enough of Japanese entertainment building tension with young men having indecisive screaming meltdowns at each other, instead of building character and story in any other way at all. So one episode was enough for me.

For loving real. Stylism as an acting form seriously needs to die in Japan (and everywhere else people still use it), along with 30FPS soap opera camera work.

It made sense coming off of radio plays where you had to be over the top bombastic and exaggerated but that time has come and gone 50+ years ago.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Here's a video showing this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBTgBGHttA

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i really detest the acting and especially the lighting in modern japanese movies and dramas and stuff too, although i really like the acting in older stuff like ozu movies

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

i really detest the acting and especially the lighting in modern japanese movies and dramas and stuff too, although i really like the acting in older stuff like ozu movies

Yeah it made sense at the time when even most Hollywood films were just two people in a room talking for 99% of the runtime like a stage play, but as location filming and realism got better, and satire slowly died, it’s an outdated form of acting.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is a great example of the clashing neorealism of Bowie and Ryuichi Sakamoto’s different acting pedigree.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Kokuhaku, that movie from about ten years ago, is the one that made me hate the SHOUTING-IS-DRAMA! school of Japanese acting.
Turn any J-drama on mute and watch for a bit, then ask yourself: Have I ever seen people in real life behave like this?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Kokuhaku, that movie from about ten years ago, is the one that made me hate the SHOUTING-IS-DRAMA! school of Japanese acting.
Turn any J-drama on mute and watch for a bit, then ask yourself: Have I ever seen people in real life behave like this?

in holland we have the same phenomenon: if theres a trailer for a dutch movie you can get out your bingo card with things like "middle aged man shouting 'god drat it!' to emphasize a point" and "woman talking softly while holding wine glass" and "person announcing cancer diagnosis with piano music and single tear," everything must be a caricature

i guess real directors like kore-eda don't do this as much and there's a few dramas that do buck this trend ("my husband's penis won't fit" was pretty good if i recall) but in most shows people act like they're in a shonen jump comic

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

anime also does this and it makes kindergarten age boys more annoying

"I'm gonna be number one!!!! Mine is the best!!!!"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i guess real directors like kore-eda don't do this as much and there's a few dramas that do buck this trend ("my husband's penis won't fit" was pretty good if i recall) but in most shows people act like they're in a shonen jump comic

Tons of the drama are based on manga series, so that’s one explanation for it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut posted:

i wish japanese kids would still just do their best vegeta impression instead of that one lovely character from kimetsunoyaiba (or whatever its called) who shouts all the time

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

^^^
holy poo poo this

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Japanese anime/drama/pop culture acting is basically Telenovelas or Bollywood dramas on valium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHcYegE6ns

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

peanut posted:

I feel like live action adaptations of anime manage to make this even worse. Watching human beings act cartoonish is so cringey. I have no idea how people out there can watch adaptations but turn their nose up to actual anime.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the thing i dislike most about anime is the "funny" part where the faces go weird for some reason and theres some spirals floating in the back and people start shouting. i don't mind anime as long as it doesn't do that

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol bakas

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

japanese really needs better swearwords

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

oh my god yes. 「クソ」only has so much utility.

I kinda wish I'd studied Italian if only for the swearing, the insane creativity with ways to insult your mother is fascinating.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in dutch it's like, terminal disease + conventional slur = new slur

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

No, it's cool. And no one cares about the Dutch.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

sale on Banksy art posted:

And no one cares about the Dutch.

As a Dutch person, I agree. Also its a lot of fun to pepper your speech with やばい and めちゃくちゃ

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
ホランド人がカンカークソと思いますよ

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

At least you don't name all your swear words after religious objects lmao - In case you've never seen it, people in Quebec say "chalice!" and "tabernacle!" as swears for some reason, I guess because it offends god or something stupid like that

But yeah Japan needs more than just "poo poo", "bastard" and "fool" for swears (especially since those last two are pretty weak and can be shown on TV basically any time), it needs at least a "dick/dickhead" and/or "gently caress/loving"

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

At least you don't name all your swear words after religious objects lmao - In case you've never seen it, people in Quebec say "chalice!" and "tabernacle!" as swears for some reason, I guess because it offends god or something stupid like that

But yeah Japan needs more than just "poo poo", "bastard" and "fool" for swears (especially since those last two are pretty weak and can be shown on TV basically any time), it needs at least a "dick/dickhead" and/or "gently caress/loving"

Why invent when you can import?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This guy I partied with occasionally for a few years when I was in Seoul was a pretty bad English speaker, but he sounded better and more competent than he was because his favorite gap word was "fuckin..."

So he would talk like "He loving said, fuckin'... he wanna fuckin' go over there fuckin'... or something" instead of "he wanna go there"

He ended up sounding like a gansta rear end persona. He was a cool dude and I assumed he got most of it because he liked listening to Tupac and Biggie.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
蘭学 itt.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

happy setsubun

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mongolia posted:

happy setsubun

Wasn't it yesterday, or are you writing to us from the past?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-y_B8y67U

Maybe relevant to some of the people in here wanting to move to Japan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Japanese cartoons AKA animes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
my man tim langley in the preview lol

(bring back tokyo on fire, you coward)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I love how Asian Boss just went and made a go fund me for some reason claiming they’re about to shut down instead of just making a patreon way back like normal fuckin people. Also they still don’t have a patreon despite apparently having cash flow problems? Monetize your poo poo ffs

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I tried the whole work-like-a-Japanese-person thing for a few years, but gave up around year six. Got me nowhere.

My guess is the yakuin-level people at my company make, at best, 3x what I do. A bucho... maybe double? And they a) were in the right place at the right time, or b) busted their asses for years and years to get there. Or maybe some combination of both -- surely they had colleagues who worked just as hard but got nothing in return. They are the successful ones, yet they probably have to put up with 20x more bullshit than I do? Perhaps they just enjoy being more responsible and having more authority. From where I sit, it's not worth it.

I always get uncomfortable when some bucho talks about being successful and motivation or whatever. Like it's a given everyone at the company has the same level of passion, and wants to climb the ladder. Certainly "motivating subordinates" is part of their responsibilities, but I constantly find myself thinking... for what? To get into your role?

Maybe I'm in the wrong company or industry. I've since taken a far more American, just-enough-to-not-get-fired kinda deal. It's a job, not a career. I'll save my energy and focus for other stuff that will hopefully one day be even more lucrative.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Presumably that industry has the same 'No, there aren't advancement opportunities until someone dies, and even then we'll hire someone's nephew to take over the role' issue mine does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I'll save my energy and focus for other stuff that will hopefully one day be even more lucrative.

So when can we expect the launch of whiskeycoin on the major crypto exchanges