Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

gay for gacha posted:

I've been watching a lot of japanese TV lately and it really makes me want to go so bad. There is this show that just goes to random parts of Japan and shows you a remotely interesting thing or person or random object in that city or town. I do wonder if it's even worth it to go if they open up ths year because I imagine everyone else will be there touristing right away

This is like 80% of Japanese TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mister Chief posted:

Kanazawa. I lived there for 3 years so can tell you what to do if you need.

Nagoya is the dullest major city in Japan.

Aomori has apples I guess but I liked other parts of Tohoku more.

It all depends on how you have your trip planned out.

yeah i'd appreciate it for kanazawa if i drop a few hundred on a shinkansen ticket there; off the top of my head there's the park, right?

and yeah last time i was in nagoya i was shown the maglev rail park/museum and the castle and... that's pretty much it? i wouldn't consider swinging by again if i didn't have friends there i haven't seen in years

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

yeah i'd appreciate it for kanazawa if i drop a few hundred on a shinkansen ticket there; off the top of my head there's the park, right?

and yeah last time i was in nagoya i was shown the maglev rail park/museum and the castle and... that's pretty much it? i wouldn't consider swinging by again if i didn't have friends there i haven't seen in years

Yeah, kenrokuen. Nagamachi, 21st century museum, ninja temple, DT Suzuki Museum, Higashi-chaya-gai, omicho market. You can get a JR pass and stop at other places on the way to Kanazawa too, like Karuizawa etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Matsumoto is my favorite smaller off the beaten track town. Very nice place to chillax.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hop down to Fukui and visit the dinosaur museum. it's loving awesome.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

totalnewbie posted:

Seconded

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Is Fukui the place where the train station has animatronic dinosaurs outside, or something?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It might be? Was under construction while I was there but you know prefectures like their own schtick and fukui and dinosaurs definitely fall into that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

gay for gacha posted:

Is aomori cool?

if you like apples it's the city of apples. i stayed there one night in a ryokan with hot springs while going up to sapporo. it was fine for the day-ish we spent there. there's also a big paper mache float museum (i forget the japanese names for that thing) which was neat.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ailumao posted:

if you like apples it's the city of apples. i stayed there one night in a ryokan with hot springs while going up to sapporo. it was fine for the day-ish we spent there. there's also a big paper mache float museum (i forget the japanese names for that thing) which was neat.

Nebuta. Maybe they’ll have it this year after being canceled last few.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you like cider? Cuz I love cider.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i dont remember much cider tbh but i did go to some other smaller city nearby that has a bunch of apple pies and i ate a lot of apple pie.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, kenrokuen. Nagamachi, 21st century museum, ninja temple, DT Suzuki Museum, Higashi-chaya-gai, omicho market. You can get a JR pass and stop at other places on the way to Kanazawa too, like Karuizawa etc.

oh i get what you mean now, if i get a round trip kagayaki then that's barely even less expensive than the JR pass anyway. and i'm definitely interested in like, visiting at least the railway museum at omiya too, and any number of trips on the yamanote line or other conventional rail lines would add up

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://soranews24.com/2022/05/27/japan-reopens-to-international-tourists-june-10-no-vaccinations-required-for-98-countries/

quote:

During a speech in Tokyo on Thursday night, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida announced that on June 1, Japan will be raising its cap on inbound travelers from 10,000 to 20,000 a day. He then delivered the long-awaited news that Japan will reopening its borders to foreign tourists just two weeks from now, on June 10, with no vaccinations required for arrivals from 98 countries.

As part of the relaxed entry regulations, travelers will be classified as being in one of three groups. Those in the 98-country Group Blue, which includes the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, China, South Korea, and Thailand, will not be required to be vaccinated, undergo PCR testing upon arrival in Japan, or go through any sort of quarantine period.

I can start planning a trip for October/November, it seems :peanut:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gaijin go hoooome

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

No vaccination required at all?

Huh. That’s…surprising.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
So their period limited entries is just two weeks? And then it's open season after that? I usually go in July and was just thinking it would be out this year. Maybe not!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Well, I was planning a trip next year because I figured it be a long drat time but looks like I was dead wrong. But...

harperdc posted:

No vaccination required at all?

Huh. That’s…surprising.

not sure this is the wisest way of opening!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The lack of vaccination requirements is extremely odd. Won’t stop me from staying vaccinated, obviously, but I would have expected it or at least thought the US would be in a harsher group than blue. Guess my Japan trip is happening after all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Very weird. But if it means I don't have to try to register my vaccination on some godawful Japanese website or app I am happy.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sounds like it's still just planned group tours for the foreseeable future though, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah it's still just tour groups.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tours of the temples of Kyoto without millions of tourists actually seems like it is worth the price premium you will have to pay.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

so really it kinda feels like a "yes but no" situation right now with tourists being let back in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

so really it kinda feels like a "yes but no" situation right now with tourists being let back in

Pretty much. They might be expecting the tour group companies to handle vax requirements and stuff too. Until they allow solo travelers I have no interest. It's progress in the right direction, anyway.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Pretty much. They might be expecting the tour group companies to handle vax requirements and stuff too. Until they allow solo travelers I have no interest. It's progress in the right direction, anyway.

same, i can't go drinking with my college friends in tokyo if i have to go as part of a tour group; but hey i can hope it's open to solo tourists by the fall

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

same, i can't go drinking with my college friends in tokyo if i have to go as part of a tour group; but hey i can hope it's open to solo tourists by the fall

Tour groups aren't locked up. You can usually wander around from the hotels and stuff. You can even "stay" at the hotel when the tour leaves for the day.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I would assume/I'm hoping that the organised group thing only lasts a month or so, once they 'prove' to the people that are against reopening the borders that it's ok/tourists are vaxxed etc I can't see why they wouldn't want to encourage as much tourism as possible. Well, fingers crossed anyway, I've got tickets booked for October and the last thing I want to do is spend my trip hanging out with other Australians lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If it does change quickly it's really tempting to go spend October and November there. I have the money but I really shouldn't be spending it. Choices...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's still just tour groups.

Oh. Well that's disappointing but makes a lot more sense. :/ oh well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh so it is still just tour groups. The trials of those have even already started!

Also while it means no PCR testing on arrival, there’s still a requirement for a test within 72 hours of departure.

The interesting nugget I haven’t seen at the bottom of the page was international routes re-opening for more airports, namely Shin Chitose and Naha.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My choice airline is almost letting me book May 8 2023 so I’m optimistic we’ll be out of tour group only mode by then. Excited to start planning again!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
There is an election at the end of July, so my guess is once the LDP secures their usual victory, they can then throw open the doors entirely with no caps on daily arrivals and individual tourist visas being announced sometime in early August, put into effect sometime in September.

This is all fantastic news at any rate imo. I can now go back to the US and come back to Japan and enter without having to go through that 4-hour hell at Haneda I did last August, without having to do any quarantine, not needing to deal with registering my vaccination status, etc.

The many international students at my university that are still waiting to get their visas or on a leave of absence, they can finally get to Japan in time for the fall semester and not have to deal with ANY bullshit (so as they're on the oh so very well thought out blue list of countries).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Eh, I'll probably wait until Hanami season rolls around again.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There’s still lots of radiation and earthquakes and stuff so I think you guys better place it say for a few decades.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh hahaha if it’s tour groups only then no.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Well it was a nice 2.5 years of getting a seat on the bus.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh hahaha if it’s tour groups only then no.

You’re missing that this is a step on a continuum. First it was citizens (and eventually clarity for residents), from this spring it was new visas being approved for work etc., and now they’re using tours before throwing the door fully open.

I will be curious to see if that door being fully open comes with the visa waiver system being fully restarted or if it’ll require people to go through embassies/consulates at first. (Visa waiver is what allows people from certain countries to just appear off a flight with a passport and get in).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SK has a registration thing now where you pay money to get an authorization that then allows you to travel "visa free", which is a pretty fun way to impose visas on everyone and collect some bucks without actually having to change the treaties or whatever. Wouldn't be surprised if Japan did something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

SK has a registration thing now where you pay money to get an authorization that then allows you to travel "visa free", which is a pretty fun way to impose visas on everyone and collect some bucks without actually having to change the treaties or whatever. Wouldn't be surprised if Japan did something similar.

The US (ESTA) and EU (ETIAS) started similar poo poo a few years ago, this is just how international travel is going to be for a while now.