Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hiroshima or Osaka okonomiyaki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

hiroshima all day

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Hiroshima no question

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hiroshima

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hiroshima

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

All wrong answers, congrats

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

As someone who lived in Hiroshima for a year. Hiroshima

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

eat a dick unicycle osaka boy!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Anything to get the taste of Hiroshimayaki out of my mouth.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are the museums in Naoshima that require pre-booking super awesome or will I get all I need from a Naoshima day trip by just walking/cycling around and looking at stuff?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I’m making it myself then Osaka. If I’m paying someone to make it, Hiroshima.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m bound by the contract of marriage to say Osaka, but I’d visit Hiroshima and do that style in a heartbeat. Might mess around and try the one I spotted long before that used udon noodles :sickos:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Only noobs eat Hiroshima

edit: Posters ITT prove it as such too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They are both good. But Osaka is better because it's not half noodles.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I think osaka style but maybe I just got brainwashed when I lived in Kansai.

Hiroshima style is fun to watch being constructed though.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
What's the best way to find good, reasonably priced restaurants? When we were in NYC, we would just check the Michelin website for the nearest Bib Gourmands. That worked really well, we were always able to get a table and the food was fairly cheap. On the other hand, this didn't really work in Paris, where it seemed like the "fanciness level" was higher and we needed reservations. What's it like in Japan (Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka)?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They’re all good and cheap.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
There is just a high baseline level of quality to pretty much every restaurant. The wife and I intentionally went looking for truly bad food and it took us nearly a week to finally find it. (It was an Italian restaurant in the mall attached to Kyoto station.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It'll be hard to find a place that makes actually had food, but there may be more that make food you won't like very much.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are the museums in Naoshima that require pre-booking super awesome or will I get all I need from a Naoshima day trip by just walking/cycling around and looking at stuff?
I'd recommend going to at least a couple of them, but I don't remember having to prebook anything when I went, maybe there's ones you can just pop in in you're interested.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I'd recommend going to at least a couple of them, but I don't remember having to prebook anything when I went, maybe there's ones you can just pop in in you're interested.
Fair enough! I’m mostly just tagging along since the rest of our group wanted to go, so good to know that we can just drop in to anything that looks neat. They’d found a website that said you had to pre-book but it was pretty out of date and gave the wrong times for the last ferries back.

It’s a bit of a trek from Osaka but it seems like a pretty unique little day trip!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sorry to double post, but I'm gonna shoot the impossible shot here.

On my first trip in 2014 I was in a shop in Kyoto that had a little porcelain dog with a horrified expression and I deeply regret not buying it. I highly doubt the shop would still have it but gently caress it, I want to have a look when I'm back in October.

The geotagging on the photo has it at 34.99975702258002, 135.7537475494115, near Takatsuji-dori in Fumotocho. The exact pin just seems to be an apartment complex so either the shop isn't there now or - more likely - the geotagging was a little bit off due to being indoors / tall buildings, etc. However, another photo 3 minutes apart is 35.00494517091201, 135.75707344437072 on Nishikikoji-dori which might've been more likely as there seems to be more going on in that area?

It's a super long shot, but is anyone familiar enough with Kyoto to know of a shop that might've sold this terrified looking figure of a dog so I can go have a look when I'm back? In the meantime, I'm looking around Google Street View for anything that looks the part.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 6, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Do you remember what type of shop it was? Was it just selling random goods? Just looking at that area on Google Street View it seems like there's nothing there, but Shijo-dori is a couple of blocks away.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I checked Mercari for ceramic bulldogs (陶器 ブルドッグ) and there are many, but none that match yours.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It seemed like a random goods shop that may have been aimed at foreigners. I think it was the same shop I got a lacquer box from as a souvenir. No biggie if I can't find it, but figured the with huge local knowledge the folks in this thread have it was worth checking! I took this moment about 3 minutes earlier of part of a big fabric Fuujin/Raijin thing so it was likely in the same shop.

Also quick side note: Just lol at Ghibli Park having an international ticket sale option that apparently excludes you from half the park?!

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Also quick side note: Just lol at Ghibli Park having an international ticket sale option that apparently excludes you from half the park?!

I really don't recommend Ghibli Park until they finish construction and open up the other areas. Literally nothing to do but get your picture with no face and buy expensive souvenirs, and you get to travel to the rear end end of Nagoya and wait in horrendous lines to do it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s my partner’s birthday and that’s the one thing she wanted, not much else can be done about it! v:shobon:v

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Each section of the park is a separate ticket, and I don't think that's going to change even when all areas are open.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gabriel Grub posted:

Each section of the park is a separate ticket, and I don't think that's going to change even when all areas are open.
It was more that international ticket buyers literally can’t buy entrance tickets to those specific areas. Although that might be changing for September now that I look more into it?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How hard is it to get to the Sumida River fireworks festival?

I just booked a trip to Tokyo July 26 - Aug 8. I know it'll be gently caress off hot/humid, but I'm joining a friend and his kids. I really want to see a firework festival, and this seems like the one to do. I've been told there are hotels with river facing windows.. is there an easy way to search for these? Or are we probably too late?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

deong posted:

I just booked a trip to Tokyo July 26 - Aug 8. I know it'll be gently caress off hot/humid, but I'm joining a friend and his kids. I really want to see a firework festival, and this seems like the one to do. I've been told there are hotels with river facing windows.. is there an easy way to search for these? Or are we probably too late?

It's probably too late to book such hotels. There are other decent, though expensive, options such as booking a dinner boat cruise, but even at 60K JPY, these also seem to have mostly sold out already. Another option might be try and find a restaurant or something with a view. Some examples are available here: https://afumi-stage.jp/sumidagawa_restaurant/

Final option would be to try and find a rooftop party that is open for public to buy tickets.

Anyway, Sumida just has one of the longest histories/is most famous, but it's very overrated. As a show, many or even most of the other big shows are more intense and much more comfortable and cheaper to watch.

July 29th will additionally have a show out on the west side of Tokyo, Tachikawa.
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/spot/ev045/index.html

August 6th will have the big Edogawa and Itabashi in Tokyo. These will also get very very busy, but still relatively easy to get a clear spot compared to Sumida.
https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/edogawa-fireworks-festival/22099
https://itabashihanabi.jp/

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 7, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

It was more that international ticket buyers literally can’t buy entrance tickets to those specific areas. Although that might be changing for September now that I look more into it?

Probably sold out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

deong posted:

If you come to fuji rock there's a fireworks display on Thursday night opening ceremony :v:

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

deong posted:

Why not just do like the locals do and put down a tarp and get drunk by the river all day before the fireworks start?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ganguro King posted:

Why not just do like the locals do and put down a tarp and get drunk by the river all day before the fireworks start?

As the locals do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-pJUaHLl0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

deong posted:

It’s not hard, I watched once just outside of Senso-ji. It was crowded, and we left back to the subway station a little early to beat the rush, but it was a cheap and fine way to do it. Getting a blue tarp and drinking by the river would be my suggestion.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone around Chugoku area? :D

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
How's the laundry situation in the bigger cities? I like to travel really light, and will be sweating up a storm in July- are hotel services reasonable? Are there wash-n-fold joints around? I'm not above washing shirts in the sink and hang drying them in the shower but socks seem problematic.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

socketwrencher posted:

How's the laundry situation in the bigger cities? I like to travel really light, and will be sweating up a storm in July- are hotel services reasonable? Are there wash-n-fold joints around? I'm not above washing shirts in the sink and hang drying them in the shower but socks seem problematic.

Hotels would need to be checked one-by-one I think.

‘Coin laundry’ is what you should search for finding the standalone places. There are plenty around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

socketwrencher posted:

Most business hotels have laundry but you need to check, I've found ones in Tokyo particularly often lack a laundry room. In a big city there is likely a laundromat within walking distance if your hotel lacks it or the one machine for the entire building is always full. Search コインランドリー in google maps and it'll show them to you. Generally a wash cycle at the hotel or a laundromat is like 300 yen and a dryer is 100 per 30 minutes. Keep hundred yen coins handy, though some you can use your IC card to pay.

One other thing I found is that the more your hotel is in a party area, the less likely there is to be a laundromat nearby. They're more common in residential areas. May be obvious but I didn't think about it when planning.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 8, 2023