Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
Going meat-free isn’t just a vegetarian thing anymore. Lots of people are choosing to replace some or all of their meals with vegetarian, or at least meatless, options.

As a note, so you don’t get annoyed with me, my focus is very much on the latter rather than true vegetarianism, which is why this thread is “meat-free”, not “vegetarian”. I’ll admit to eating any old cheese I find tasty or using chicken or beef stock if it delivers the desired effect.

There are many reasons people might choose to do this:
• Vegetables are tasty and good
• Save money
• The environmental cost of meat
• Shift to eating higher-quality or more ethical meat (spend more less often)
• Trying to eat healthier
• Moral objections to the meat industry
• Doing your bit for more sustainable food sources
• Reduced saturated fat
• Avoiding potential heart disease or cancer risk factors

But this thread isn’t about those. LET’S NOT DERAIL THE THREAD WITH DISCUSSIONS ABOUT MORALITY OR CLIMATE CHANGE OR WHETHER BACON GIVES YOU CANCER. Whatever the reason you want to eat less meat, that’s great, as long as you want to read or share ideas for meat-free meals you’re in the right place.

I’m going to try and maintain this OP with recipes that have met with general approval so if there’s anything posted that you’ve tried and you think deserves some recognition, quote it and flag it up. Now on to the main event – meat free meals.

Beans and Pulses
From dhal to bean soup to pease pudding to hummus, beans and pulses have been and continue to be a diet staple around the world. They are a cheap and low-fat source of protein and fibre and as versatile as they are they can be really, really tasty.

One of my favourite quick meals is black bean and sweet potato tacos. It takes about 25 minutes to prepare and goes something like this.

Ingredients (serves 2-3):
• 2 shop-bought flour tortillas per person (or make your own if you’re fancy)
• 2 normal sized tins of black bean (or one double-size can)
• 1 sweet potato
• ˝ an onion, red or yellow both work
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1tsp chipotle paste
• 1tsp cumin
• 1tsp paprika
• ˝tsp hot chilli powder (to your taste and the strength of your chilli powder)
• 1 stock cube (I use chicken, use vegetable if you’re more committed)
• A squeeze of tomato paste
• Cooking oil or butter
• Sour cream to serve

1) Dice your sweet potato to about 1-1.5cm squares. Place on a greased baking tray and season. Place in an oven preheated to about 180C/350F for about 20 minutes.
2) Now your potato is in the oven dice your onion and garlic and fry off in a deep pan until the onion is translucent. Add your chipotle paste, spices and the stock cube and cook those down till it smells real good.
3) Add your drained beans and tomato paste to the pan and cook down as the sweet potato finishes off. The beans should be soft and well coated with the onions and spices, but it shouldn’t really be a sauce.
4) When the sweet potatoes are done, stir them through the bean mixture and serve. Scoop into your tortillas and top with cool sour cream.

Colonel J posted:

http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-grillable-veggie-burgers/

I had a burger craving, and these really hit the spot for me. My previous attemps at making burger patties turned out very unsatisfying, but this one is dead simple and quite delicious.

[Other great recipes from the thread will go here]

Meat Replacements
So far in my efforts I’ve tried three different meat replacement or meat substitute ingredients – frozen soy mince, Quorn (in various forms) and texturized vegetable protein. I’m a big fan of Quorn and its pretty much my default meat replacement option now, I personally just get better results with it in terms of flavour and texture.

From my experience the most important thing about cooking with a substitute meat is understanding your ingredient, rather than trying to do exactly the same thing with it that you’d do with the meat it’s replacing. It acts very differently, from my experience - frozen soy mince adds moisture, Quorn absorbs it and texturized vegetable protein resists all attempts to coat it with sauce or force it to absorb flavour. I don’t like TVP and I probably won’t use it again so any experts can take up that particular topic.

For the other two options just watching the moisture levels does a lot for helping achieve the right consistency and flavour, and less is always better than more to start out with. Both of these also need relatively little cooking, but Quorn particularly can benefit from being left longer as it lets it absorb more flavour – and my goal is always adding as much flavour as possible.

If you’re wondering where to start with meat replacements try this amazing and stupidly easy curry with some steamed rice:

Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1 bag Quorn pieces
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 1-2 fresh red chilli’s, to your taste and the spiciness of your chilli, sliced into rounds
• 1tbs turmeric
• 1tsp cumin
• The seeds of 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
• 1/2 pint of chicken or vegetable stock
• ˝ cup of natural yoghurt
• Juice of half a lemon
• Some fresh coriander (cilantro)
• Cooking oil

1) Get the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies cooking gently in a pan.
2) When the onions start to go translucent throw in all of your spices and cook down for a few minutes, then add your stock.
3) Make sure the whole mixture is well incorporated and then add your Quorn and a splash of lemon juice. Bring to the simmer and leave for 15-20 minutes (why not make some rice), make sure to check your moisture levels every so often – you’re looking for a loose sauce but you don’t want it swimming in liquid, as you’ll be adding more later.
4) When you are ready to serve stir through the coriander leaves, the rest of the lemon juice and the yoghurt. Season with salt if needed and serve.

Carbs
Pasta, rice, pastry and bread can make a meal out of anything and most “vegetarian options” on restaurant menus tend to have a carb base. Veggie pizza, pumpkin risotto, pasta in tomato sauce, macaroni cheese, mushroom biryani the list is endless and delicious.

One of my, admittedly rarely made because it’s quite naughty, favourites from this list is this Shallot Tarte Tatin with slices of fresh creamy goats cheese that was first made for me by some friends while we were over for dinner. This is the recipe they sent me afterwards when I begged for it. It’s beautiful.

On a side note, I’ve noticed something that makes me really sad for my vegetarian friends. Whenever they’re invited for dinner by someone they always seemed to be singled out and abandoned with some sort of sad vegetarian meal while everyone else gets the meal that the host has spent lots of time on. Don’t be that person, make the shallot tatin!

Pure Fruit and Veg
Fruit and vegetables are great as they are and form the staple ingredient of many dishes. Favourites for cooked meals tend to be firmer vegetables that hold up under heat rather than wilt away, but there are exceptions, for example a good saag curry (where the star is spinach) is pretty hard to beat.

One of my favourites is a Greek courgette and aubergine (zucchini and eggplant) stew that is slow cooked and just amazing. This is even better if you make it the day before.

Ingredients (serves 4):
• 1 aubergine in generous chunks
• 2 courgettes also chunked
• 1 potato, cubed
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 1 tsp tomato paste
• ˝ onion, diced
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• ˝ pint of vegetable stock
• Lashings of extra virgin olive oil

1) Cook down your onion and garlic in a pan in some of the olive oil (yes I know, but do it anyway). Then add the aubergine and courgette and brown slightly.
2) Add in your potatoes, tomatoes and tomato paste and the stock along with a good lug of the olive oil, as well as plenty of salt and pepper and bring to a gentle simmer.
3) Leave for 2-3 hours on a low heat, when you return the tomato sauce should be unctuous and slightly cooked down, the aubergine and courgette gorgeously tender and the potato should have cooked entirely into the sauce adding thickness and richness.
4) Take off the heat finish with even more delicious extra virgin olive oil. You want it glossy and carrying through that delicious flavour in every bite.

Salads can be a great way to make vegetables the star ingredient whether pre-cooked or raw. I am not good at salads; I hope the thread will be better at salads than me.

[Great salad recipes from the thread will go here]

I can add more information or resources here as requested, or eloquently posted by people more better at writing than I.

Underwater Shoe fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

If fish are allowed, fish sauce can do a lot for a dish (and won't taste fishy or anything if it's a nice sauce). Also apparently vegemite works similarly while being more vegan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stuffed acorn squash:

Cook up some farro/barley/wheatberries/rice. Saute some onion, garlic, chick peas, sundried tomatoes, and spinach in a pan. Toss with the grain you cooked and season to taste. Sometimes I do a splash of vinegar or some lemon/lime juice to brighten it.

Cut the acorn squash in half horizontally. Scoop out all the seeds, and stuff your mixture into the squash. Top with feta and throw in a 375 oven for about a half hour or until the squash itself is fork-tender. Eat.

It's super fast, healthy, filling, and delicious.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If anyone regularly makes seitan, I'd like to hear about it. There's a real paucity of recipes/techniques out there.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My two favorite uses for tofu are stir fry and salad. Each method starts with cutting a block of tofu either in half or in thirds lengthwise. Put paper towels between each layer. Then put paper towels on top then put some heavy things on top. Leave for about 30 minutes, changing out the towels if needed. Then:

Stir Fry
Cut the tofu up into cubes. I prefer small half-inch cubes, but if you want a mushier middle you can make them bigger. Toss with corn starch if you want, but I've never really found it worth it. Get the pan/wok hot and add oil, then throw in the tofu. Cook until golden brown trying to get as many sides as possible. Remove from pan. Cook your vegetables then add the tofu back in with sauce.

Salad
This is just baked tofu for a salad topping. It is good cold so it's great for lunches. I typically like it on spinach and carrot salads with ginger-sesame dressing. Once your tofu is drained, cut it up into cubes. Toss with a little bit of oil, salt, and pepper. Or whatever other seasonings you want. Spread out on a pan with parchment paper and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes (more or less depending on the size). It will dry out a little and puff up.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

My two favorite uses for tofu are stir fry and salad. Each method starts with cutting a block of tofu either in half or in thirds lengthwise. Put paper towels between each layer. Then put paper towels on top then put some heavy things on top. Leave for about 30 minutes, changing out the towels if needed. Then:

I think this is a vital step I've been missing. I look forward to having another go and avoiding mushy tofu!

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

fatherdog posted:

If anyone regularly makes seitan, I'd like to hear about it. There's a real paucity of recipes/techniques out there.

I've made seitan a bunch of times using the veganomicon books and it's always come out well. I can type up the recipe later if you'd like it. I've found it always gives quite a nice springy but firm consistency and keeps for a week or so in the fridge.

I've been experimenting with making schnitzels from it recently and they've come out pretty well just using flour/egg wash/breadcrumbs followed by pan frying but you have to be careful not to lose the flavour of the seitan in the oil. I've got some seitan "escalopes" soaking in a Jamaican marinade I made that hopefully will give it some extra flavour after frying.

Marinaded and baked seitan makes a pretty good sandwich filling I've found too, but I'm still trying to work out how to get some kind of smokey taste into it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Underwater Shoe posted:

I think this is a vital step I've been missing. I look forward to having another go and avoiding mushy tofu!

That reminds me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg needs to be posted in every meatless thread.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm not a very good cook, but I'm a good recipe-follower; I fell in love with this thing recently: Pesto pappardelles with artichoke and chickpea "meatballs"

It takes a little bit of many ingredients, but the end result is really tasty. The texture is spot on for meatballs, obviously it doesn't taste at all like meat but it doesn't pretend to either, it's just a good mix of various Things.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Lhet posted:

That reminds me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg needs to be posted in every meatless thread.

just had to read the title of that video to know it is going to be completely awful and unbearable.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Nooner posted:

completely awful and unbearable.

MUCH LIKE YOUR POSTING!!!!!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
watch manjula make delicious indian poo poo then make it yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Manjulaskitchen

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 7, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lhet posted:

This is funny and has a lot of heart! Very clever. Needs to be shorter though, 13 minutes is a lot of black metal vegan cooking.

Vegetables are delicious, but I'm really bad at not using bacon drippings as my fat when making soups or stews.

edit: STIR YOU FOOL LEST THE DARK ONES TAKE THE BOTTOM OF YOUR DISH

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 7, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DJ Burette posted:

I've made seitan a bunch of times using the veganomicon books and it's always come out well. I can type up the recipe later if you'd like it.

I would appreciate that, and also any notes about various ways of seasoning it.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

I was looking for recipe to use up my leftover chestnuts from christmas and found this one for mini nut roasts/nut burgers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/porcini_nut_patties_99470

I trust Nigel Slater in all things anyway (my chicken curry in the OP is my adaption of one of his recipes) but this with porcini, kale, beans and nuts is pretty much a combination of all my favourite things at the moment. I'll probably sub in some leftover pistachios and cashews instead on macadamias but will feed back once I've tried this recipe - probably Sunday.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Even though I do love my meat, new and interesting ways of preparing vegetables is something I really love to do, especially the ones that don't get nearly as much attention. I've recently discovered the glory that is the sunchoke:

Looks like ginger, is crunchy like a waxy potato, and with the robust flavor of artichoke, it's a loving amazing veg. Don't skin them! All the flavor is in the skin! Simplest preparation is to drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or so. If you wanna get fancy, I make a fantastic and spicy sunchoke chowder with a cajun mirepoix, cream, and an immersion blender.

Word of warning though: Sunchokes contain inulin, which can give you pretty big farts (though it's also a prebiotic that helps boost your gut flora). You'll want to let the sunchokes age in your fridge for a couple weeks and/or cook them low and slow to break down the inulin.

Also, I'd like to recommend this vegetable bouillon:

It's a great all-purpose bouillon paste that I use for the sunchoke chowder and vegetarian risotto.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also, I'd like to recommend this vegetable bouillon:

It's a great all-purpose bouillon paste that I use for the sunchoke chowder and vegetarian risotto.

If you're for-real vegetarian they also have a vegetarian chicken bouillon that I could only ever find on Amazon but was totally worth it. In winter I make chicken noodle soup with cubed tofu in place of chicken and it's pretty legit if you use that stuff.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

I had a burger craving, and these really hit the spot for me. My previous attemps at making burger patties turned out very unsatisfying, but this one is dead simple and quite delicious.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

Underwater Shoe posted:

I was looking for recipe to use up my leftover chestnuts from christmas and found this one for mini nut roasts/nut burgers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/porcini_nut_patties_99470

I made these yesterday and the results were pretty good. I will probably make them again but probably cook them slower and longer, Nige seems to think that one of the selling points to these are the moistness but I found the centre to be a bit claggy - the rest was perfect. When I next make them I am going to omit the honey and maybe add a touch of garlic. I found them a little too sweet, especially with the sweetness of chestnuts and mushrooms in there. I'll also serve with some gravy as I thought they needed a something to contrast with it. On the whole a pretty simple and filling alternative to a shop bought nut cutlet or roast.

If you do make this, don't worry if the mix is A LOT wetter than you expect. It all works out in the end!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone have any experience with nut cheeses? We have tons of pecans available. I'd love to know if anyone's got a favorite recipe.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Colonel J posted:

That looks goddamn awesome I'm gonig to have to give this a go for a weekend treat.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Seitan is pretty tasty and if you want to make some giant lump of protein to use in things then this isn't a bad recipe:

Seitan ingredients:
1 cup wheat gluten
3 tb nutritional yeast
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, preferably pressed but chopped really fine works too

Broth:
4 cups vegetable stock, 4 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce

Instructions:

Mix all the dry things in the seitan and separately mix together all the liquids. Pour the wet into the dry and mix. It'll all start to clump up and once it comes together kneed it on a surface for a few minutes until it feels elastic then keep going for another 3-4 minutes.

Next put all the broth ingredients into a pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils put the seitan in and turn the hear down. Cover and keep at a lore simmer for an hour. If it boils too strongly it will go spongy, which isn't the worst thing ever but is a bit annoying if you want to do anything else to it. After an hour take off the heat and leave to sit for 15-20 minutes.

The seitan can be eaten now or you can store it in the broth in the fridge for about a fortnight. I've no idea if it would last longer than that as I've never had it stick around that long! I'll be making another batch this weekend and will add some pictures then.

I'm planning on turning the seitan I currently have in the fridge into jerked seitan tomorrow so I'll chronicle my experiment. I think you would be able to change the flavour of the seitan by adding things to the broth you boil it in but I've not gotten around to trying yet.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
^^ A good trick I read but haven't been able to try yet with seitan is to wrap it tightly in a cheesecloth before cooking it. It apparently prevents it from gaining expansion and getting a spongey texture. Also yes, it seems the broth has a big influence on the outcome.

I bought big bags of dried beans as I was tired of always buying cans; there's a bit of info on how to prepare them on the Internet, but I'm still unsure about the timings.

The gist of it seems to be: soak them in room temp water for 12 hours, then simmer until they're ready . Sounds good, but does anybody know how long they'll keep between the soaking and the cooking AND after cooking? I'd like to keep some ready always in advance, but if they go bad after a day in either case I'll need to plan better.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Colonel J posted:

^^ A good trick I read but haven't been able to try yet with seitan is to wrap it tightly in a cheesecloth before cooking it. It apparently prevents it from gaining expansion and getting a spongey texture. Also yes, it seems the broth has a big influence on the outcome.

I bought big bags of dried beans as I was tired of always buying cans; there's a bit of info on how to prepare them on the Internet, but I'm still unsure about the timings.

The gist of it seems to be: soak them in room temp water for 12 hours, then simmer until they're ready . Sounds good, but does anybody know how long they'll keep between the soaking and the cooking AND after cooking? I'd like to keep some ready always in advance, but if they go bad after a day in either case I'll need to plan better.

If you buy a pressure cooker (and you should, because they are awesome), you can make beans effectively without soaking them. I still prefer to soak, if I remember in time, but I've made good beans for an after-work meal without, thanks to the pressure cooker.

As far as soaking and storing before cooking, I have read that you should remove the beans from their soaking water before 24 hours, then you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days. I soaked some on Wednesday that I realized I couldn't cook, stored them and made good soup out of them on Friday with no ill effects.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Just happen to have made some of my meat free three bean chili today, as a matter of fact-

its good stuff and great for winter! Eat it straight or with some rice or cornbread, top it with whatever floats your boat, s'good stuff.

One large or two medium onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
2-3 carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow/orange/red bell pepper, chopped
Salt/pepper as needed

Saute in 2 tablespoons of veggie oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the onions start turning yellow.

1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes in tomato juice, not drained
1 can cannelli beans*
1 can kidney beans*
1 can black beans*
extra tomato juice and/or vegetable or chicken stock
chili spice
cumin
cayenne pepper
**optional-chiles in adobe sauce, jalapenos, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika
add the above, spicing to taste.

Have the extra liquids on hand in case beans are not fully
submerged. Bring mixture to a boil, then drop to a simmer for at least 45 minutes. Check
and correct seasoning. Serve over rice/noodles or with cornbread/crackers, optionally also
green onions, sour cream, salsa, cheese.

*or 1/2 cup each dried beans, soaked and cooked. You can sub in Great Northern beans for
cannelli, or red beans for kidney beans if thats what you have.

**whatever floats your heat boat here

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

May I also recommend that after you dry and press your tofu that you cut it into cubes and deep fry and then salt it. This is delicious and versatile. Toss it in your favorite sauce for a snack or stir-fry it with whatever (peanut sauce and veg so good) and have it over rice.

In addition, have you tried pressed 5-spice tofu? Yum.

As for my street cred, I was vegetarian for a long time and vegan for a bit. But no longer. I still enjoy many of the meatless foods I used to, though.

One of my favorite go-to meals was this black bean pie thing in which you saute some carrot, onion, garlic, and fresh jalapeno; mix that up with some black beans and maybe corn, then top it with mashed potatoes (plus cheddar if you like) and bake it.

Another was bbq tempeh pizza. Get a pizza crust from wherever, toss tempeh cubes in bbq sauce, brush the sauce on the crust, top with mozz, cilantro, red onion, and the tempeh. Bake at the highest possible temperature until it's done. Delicious.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

Colonel J posted:

Making these tonight!

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

Those burgers were great. I served them with some simple braised celery, which is a great side for pretty much anything.

I've added the recipe to the OP.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Colonel J posted:

These look baller. I was planning on making the Serious Eats black bean burgers: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html. If they're not a complete nightmare , I'll check in with results.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I came up with a super delicious breakfast muesli type thing not all that long ago, and it instantly became one of my all time favorite morning meals. I was going for something that tasted good that was extremely calorie dense so a little goes a long way. When you have this for breakfast you feel like you can tackle a mountain. Probably from all the sugar. Whatever, it's yummy.

Hippie Chow - Makes 4-6 servings
1 apple, diced
1 blood orange, diced
1/2 banana- diced
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup granola (I like Bear Naked, but just about anything works here)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup of almonds- smashed
1/3 cup craisins
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 heaping tablespoon extra Virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons honey (wildflower honeys are best but whatever)

Gently combine all ingredients with a spoon and enjoy. I'm estimating that a cup of this concoction has about 4 million calories so that's about all you'd need to eat for a serving. I also really like to add a tiny little bit of almond milk right before I eat it, but you could add milk, yogurt, or nearly any fruit juice as well. Enjoy!

Gramps fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 18, 2016

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I've used the vegetarian "Better the Bullion" for years (cheap two packs at Costco) but didn't realize the other flavors (no-chicken, mushroom). ORDERED!

While I'm a meat eater, I cook and eat mostly vegetarian. Yesterday I made Crockpot Vegetarian Pie:

Source
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-pot-pie

Ingredients

Filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups diced peeled baking potato (8 ounces)
1 1/4 cups diced carrot (3 carrots)
1 cup diced parsnip (2 parsnips)
3/4 cup chopped celery (3 stalks)
2 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
2 cups frozen petite green peas
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions

Biscuit topping:
7.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 2/3 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup low-fat buttermilk

Directions
1. To prepare filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potato and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Coat a 5-quart electric slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.

2. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, stirring with a whisk. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with whisk. Pour sauce into slow cooker. Stir in peas, thyme, and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.

3. To make biscuit topping, weigh or lightly spoon 7.5 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and chives. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist.

4. Increase slow cooker heat to HIGH. Drop biscuits onto filling in 8 equal mounds. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until biscuits are done. Uncover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

...except I wasn''t able to find parsnips, pearl onions, or buy a single stick of celery at my local grocery. And my wife hates mushrooms. I modified to add extra carrots, a red bell pepper, used a sweet potato instead of so much potato, and dumped a cup of corn into it. It turned out pretty great and our guests loved it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I vegetarianed last night with a casserole sized spanakopita. Not pictured are hummus, pita, tatziki, and a stereotypical greek salad

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cheesus posted:

I've used the vegetarian "Better the Bullion" for years (cheap two packs at Costco) but didn't realize the other flavors (no-chicken, mushroom). ORDERED!

While I'm a meat eater, I cook and eat mostly vegetarian. Yesterday I made Crockpot Vegetarian Pie:

Source
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-pot-pie

Ingredients

Filling:
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups diced peeled baking potato (8 ounces)
1 1/4 cups diced carrot (3 carrots)
1 cup diced parsnip (2 parsnips)
3/4 cup chopped celery (3 stalks)
2 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking spray
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
2 cups frozen petite green peas
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions

Biscuit topping:
7.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 2/3 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup low-fat buttermilk

Directions
1. To prepare filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potato and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Coat a 5-quart electric slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.

2. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, stirring with a whisk. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with whisk. Pour sauce into slow cooker. Stir in peas, thyme, and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.

3. To make biscuit topping, weigh or lightly spoon 7.5 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and chives. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist.

4. Increase slow cooker heat to HIGH. Drop biscuits onto filling in 8 equal mounds. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until biscuits are done. Uncover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

...except I wasn''t able to find parsnips, pearl onions, or buy a single stick of celery at my local grocery. And my wife hates mushrooms. I modified to add extra carrots, a red bell pepper, used a sweet potato instead of so much potato, and dumped a cup of corn into it. It turned out pretty great and our guests loved it.

You know, I don't have a great opinion of slow cookers for many reasons, but this actually sounds pretty dynamite. Any modifications you'd make to the cook times to the veggies so they don't turn out to be mush? 3.5 hours on low and 75 minutes on high sounds like a lot of cooking time for the non-root veggies.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

I vegetarianed last night with a casserole sized spanakopita. Not pictured are hummus, pita, tatziki, and a stereotypical greek salad

Hey this looks great! Did you follow a recipe? Was it vegan?

I made this pasta bake yesterday (used carrots instead of broccoli) and I'm kind of torn as to how I like it. The texture and creaminess is great, and it's healthy food, but I found it kind of bland. I suspect it's because I forgot to add salt and pepper anywhere along the way, but still, I'd prefer finding some way to give it more taste, if anyone has an idea.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Colonel J posted:

I made this pasta bake yesterday (used carrots instead of broccoli) and I'm kind of torn as to how I like it. The texture and creaminess is great, and it's healthy food, but I found it kind of bland. I suspect it's because I forgot to add salt and pepper anywhere along the way, but still, I'd prefer finding some way to give it more taste, if anyone has an idea.

If you want it to remain healthy and not be bland, you absolutely cannot skip the salt. And pepper. Add some random herbs in, if you want.

If you don't care that much about health, cheese is pretty much always the answer.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Colonel J posted:

I just mushed together a bunch of recipes I found on foodgawker, and no, it wasnt vegan. Filling was 40 oz frozen spinach, about 3/4 (1?) pound of feta, 2 eggs, 3 small leeks, some lemon juice and 3/4 of a decent sized bunch of dill. And a whole package of phyllo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

The Midniter posted:

If you want it to remain healthy and not be bland, you absolutely cannot skip the salt. And pepper. Add some random herbs in, if you want.
My roommate's vegan and whenever she cooks something that isn't pizza with snot cheese or bland, flavorless pasta with pre-made sauces she never, ever adds salt. Or any spices, really, apart from pinches of Generic Italian Seasoning or the jar of year-old weak curry powder that sits sadly beside my Indian spices. It's loving baffling to me but she cooks most of her stuff from a big folder of vegan recipes she printed out ages ago and I guess that's how both she and the author like it.

The pasta bake recipe doesn't mention salt or pepper either, is that just a vegan thing? The only vegan cookbook I have is dino's.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 20, 2016

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

My roommate's vegan and whenever she cooks something that isn't pizza with snot cheese or bland, flavorless pasta with pre-made sauces she never, ever adds salt. Or any spices, really, apart from pinches of Generic Italian Seasoning or the jar of year-old weak curry powder that sits sadly beside my Indian spices. It's loving baffling to me but she cooks most of her stuff from a big folder of vegan recipes she printed out ages ago and I guess that's how both she and the author like it.

The pasta bake recipe doesn't mention salt or pepper either, is that just a vegan thing? The only vegan cookbook I have is dino's.

I don't think it's standard, not in most recipes I've seen so far. I guess it was implied? I was so caught up in my cooking that I just forgot :v: I honestly didn't think salting your food was that important, but I won't overlook it now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Midniter posted:

You know, I don't have a great opinion of slow cookers for many reasons, but this actually sounds pretty dynamite. Any modifications you'd make to the cook times to the veggies so they don't turn out to be mush? 3.5 hours on low and 75 minutes on high sounds like a lot of cooking time for the non-root veggies.
Yeah, I'd probably lower the veggie cooking time by an hour. The topping also took about 30 minutes longer in my book to fully cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Everyone's always welcome in the vegan thread, too, which has some good stuff.

• Locked thread