Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
:siren: CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE START OF THE REVEAL! :siren:

Greetings! Welcome to the Games forum Sheep Game 2016! It's time for us to look back on the past year and see how good you all are at predicting the whims and opinions of the goon hivemind.

This is how the game works. I will post a list of 16 statements. Your job is to provide an answer that you think is the best for each statement. BUT! The object of the game is not necessarily to guess the most correct answer. Rather, the object of this game is to give the most common answer that you think will be given by the rest of the players. For each answer you give, you get a number of points equal to the number of people who also gave that answer. If you say "red" and 10 other people say red, you get 11 points. If you say "blue" and no one else said blue, you get 1 point. The poster with the most points at the end of 16 rounds wins! Note that it is in your best interest to not discuss the game in other threads or IRC, lest you tip your hand on what your answers will be!

If you are still a little confused, you can take a look at last year's Sheep Game to see how it worked. Or check out these sheep games from D&D, SAS, and AI.

:siren: FactsAreUseless has offered free avatar changes for the top 3 players :siren:

Want to participate? Great! Please follow this two step process:
1) Submit your entries via email to theoneandonlyt87@gmail.com (:siren: NO PMs PLEASE :siren:). The subject line should include your SA username and "Sheep Game Entry" (e.g. "TheOneAndOnlyT sheep game entry"). Your answers should be in the body of the message. Please submit your answers with one answer on each line, in order, and with no numbers and no questions. This will save me a bunch of editing time.
2) Re-read Step 1 and make sure you didn't gently caress it up, or you'll probably get disqualified!

Signups are now closed.

The deadline for entries is approximately one week; I will post a 24 hour notice before I stop taking submissions. Once submissions are closed I will determine a reveal date. This will be done "liveblog" style, i.e. I'll reveal each round of answers one at a time over the course of a few hours.

Once again:
:siren: DO NOT INCLUDE THE NUMBERS OR QUESTION TEXT ON YOUR ENTRY FORM! :siren:

Got it? Okay. Here are the statements. Some of these are intentionally fairly vague. It's up to you to decide how you think the rest of Games will interpret them!

1. This video game company had a better year than any other game company in 2015.
2. This video game company had a worse year than any other game company in 2015.
3. This 2015 video game was the one with the biggest difference between how great I expected it to be, and how terrible it ended up being.
4. This 2015 video game was the one with the biggest difference between how awful I expected it to be, and how surprisingly good it ended up being.
5. This 2015 video game was the greatest game of the year that nobody played.
6. This video game was the biggest surprise hit of 2015.
7. Among people involved with making video games, this person had the best 2015.
8. Among people involved with making video games, this person had the worst 2015.
9. This video game was the one I was most excited about for 2015 that ended up being delayed past the end of the year.
10. More than any other, this 2015 video game should have been delayed to have some additional work done on it.
11. This 2015 video game was the one I spent the most time playing over the past year.
12. This video game was the most artistic game of 2015.
13. This video game had the best single-player experience of any game released in 2015.
14. This video game had the best multiplayer experience of any game released in 2015.
15. This video game was the worst game of 2015.
16. This video game was the best game of 2015.

Once again:
:siren: DO NOT INCLUDE THE NUMBERS OR QUESTION TEXT ON YOUR ENTRY FORM! :siren:

Undying gratitude goes to C. Everett Koop and pig slut lisa, whose Sheep Game OPs I have heavily plagiarized. Additional thanks to seiferguy for sending me the Sheep Game software to make this easier.

Good luck!

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
75 players:

Accordion Man
Alvie
Anatharon
Antoine Silvere
Artix
Atoramos
Axikal
Baller Time
BaronVanAwesome
blakelmenakle
Bobby The Rookie
bobjr
Broseph Brostar
Burning Rain
Canine Blues Arooo
Capsaicin
chaosargate
CJ
Davincie
Demicol
DontBeThatGuy
Endorph
Fistful of Silence
Holepunchio
Impatom
Instant Sunrise
Jetamo
Jobbo_Fett
Joshy Bear
Junpei Hyde
Justin Time!
Kaboom Dragon
Kelp Plankton
Krabbapples
Looper
LunaWasHere
mabels big day
MAKE WAY NEW STARS
Man Called M
mehmedbasic
mekkanare
metalloid
Mo0
motherbox
Nettle Soup
Nice Shirt
NightVis
No Such Thing
No. 44
Not a Children
Pirate Jet
Pittsburgh Lambic
PolkaMaPhone
Ramos
Roland Jones
Safetyland
Saint Freak
seiferguy
Skunkrocker
Slur
Snawszer
Solis
StealthArcher
StoryTime
THE AWESOME GHOST
The Iron Llama
tinaun
Top Hats Monthly
True Blue Triumph
Underwhelmed
Venomous
Wanton Spoon
Whalley
widespread
Zombies' Downfall

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 13, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Top 3 posters get a free avatar.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Congratulations to NightVis for being the first person to not read any of the instructions! Not only did they put their username in the email body instead of the subject line, they also managed to include both the question numbers and text in their entry! :bravo:

Anyway, we've got 23 entries so far. Keep 'em coming!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
resent in my entry after the missed question

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I like the intentional vagueness of the questions, it makes them more interesting to think about.

Last time I participated in this game, I had more fun seeing the results come in than I expected, so I'm throwing my hat in again. I'm hoping I'll do better this time since I can focus on a single year rather than all of gaming history, but I'm probably not making things easier for myself by being liberal with my definition of what constitutes a "2015 video game".

PROTIP FOR NEW PLAYERS: If you're aiming for a high score (and not just being honest with your answers and/or trolling the results), keep in mind that you can "fail" on the difficult/divided questions and still do very well. Where you REALLY don't want to mess up is on the easy ones. Even the second-most popular response can have enough of a score difference to be devastating.

I'm going for score, but my own answers were a combination of honest answers, gauging trends in the public/forum as a whole, and semi-blind guesses. Hopefully it's the right balance of each (but it's probably not).

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I don't flit around the game forum enough to have a good read. Won't stop me from entering and breaking the curve!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does the formatting of the game names matter? I'm mainly wondering about MGS V.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

CJ posted:

Does the formatting of the game names matter? I'm mainly wondering about MGS V.
Nah, don't worry about it. The software I'm using allows me to drag differently-spelled names together if they refer to the same thing.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Okay, we're coming up on a week since this thread was posted, so...

:siren: SIGNUPS WILL CLOSE WEDNESDAY AT MIDNIGHT PST :siren: (a little over 24 hours from this post)
:siren: THE REVEAL WILL START WEDNESDAY AT 5PM PST :siren:

If you've sent in an entry, please double-check the second post and make sure that your name is in the player list. There were a few players with technical difficulties in the last sheep game, and I doubt that changed this year. If you don't see your name in the list, I don't have your entry, so please check it!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, were some of these hard to answer. I don't think I'm going to do that well.

Edit: In particular my "best game no one played" was gotten by me scrolling through Wikipedia's list of games that came out this year until I saw something I thought looked good when I first heard about it and then never heard from or saw again. Pretty sure I'm only getting one point for that one at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, that question requires maximum sheeple thinking. The best choice is definitely not going to be a forgotten gem, I can definitely say that much.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I probably did very terribly!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

:siren: 12 HOURS LEFT UNTIL SIGNUPS CLOSE :siren:

Again, if you haven't done so already, please double-check the player list and make sure you're on it. I've had a couple of entries go to my spam folder, so it's possible I missed a few. If you sent in an entry but don't see your name on the list, get in touch with me ASAP!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not sure which video game person has had a good year, but I definitely know who's had a bad one!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I was going to go "Pick ones no one would pick" then changed it to what I thought people would pick, and now I think I really hosed up because I forgot to revise half of it :v:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game is going to be a lot harder to get any points in than the previous one I remember doing, which was a more general best-of-all-time type thing. Makes me realize how little I really paid attention to the industry this year. I will probably do poorly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

In particular my "best game no one played" was gotten by me scrolling through Wikipedia's list of games that came out this year until I saw something I thought looked good when I first heard about it and then never heard from or saw again. Pretty sure I'm only getting one point for that one at least.

I felt like I had a lock on this question before reading your post and now I'm questioning everything I believed

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I won't be surprised if that question also has the lowest average score for all players. That's just the kind of question it is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I felt like I had a lock on this question before reading your post and now I'm questioning everything I believed

To be fair, I'm in the same category as:

Kelp Plankton posted:

This game is going to be a lot harder to get any points in than the previous one I remember doing, which was a more general best-of-all-time type thing. Makes me realize how little I really paid attention to the industry this year. I will probably do poorly.

I paid like next to no attention this year so outside of my main strategy and a few things that seemed like good bets to me, I was kind of floundering, looking up information on games that came out this year to fill in the gaps. Oh well. Following this should be fun, and I can explain my logic for my picks as we go. My doing poorly shouldn't necessarily make you worry.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just put Undertale for all 16 questions and you'll be set.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Ramos posted:

Yeah, that question requires maximum sheeple thinking. The best choice is definitely not going to be a forgotten gem, I can definitely say that much.

I do like the paradoxical nature of that question making it so it's impossible to win with a genuinely true answer. But I think this type of question is also just the type of question that isn't going to HAVE an answer in the age of The Internet. Well-made stuff that has truly broad appeal will generally get exposure through word-of-mouth alone, as the past year demonstrated more than once. The "forgotten gems" are usually games that did very well with a certain niche, but by their nature were never meant to appeal to more than a relatively small group of people.

Still, I'm actually pretty confident about the answer I picked for that one. (Now watch that statement come back to bite me in the rear end, and also I get every other question wrong)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Question, would games that are labeled as "Released on: 2015 date" count?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I put a game that i didn't even know existed until awards season started a couple of weeks ago.

The other thing that got me was trying to factor platform exclusives into my answers.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

widespread posted:

Question, would games that are labeled as "Released on: 2015 date" count?
I don't know, do you think other players will think they count?

It should be noted that I'm not disqualifying any answers. Whatever people send me is what's going into the answer pile, even if the answer doesn't fit the question at all.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't know, do you think other players will think they count?

It should be noted that I'm not disqualifying any answers. Whatever people send me is what's going into the answer pile, even if the answer doesn't fit the question at all.

One of my favorite parts last time was how one person's answers gradually degenerated from games into random non sequitur statements.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the guy who was in the lead then answered the last question with Derek Smart's Desktop Commander

Snawszer
Jan 10, 2014
Sent mine in hope my answer for 9. didn't screw up the rest of them for being two lines long, if so o well.
Edited my inability to count to 9.

Snawszer fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 13, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wanton Spoon posted:

Still, I'm actually pretty confident about the answer I picked for that one. (Now watch that statement come back to bite me in the rear end, and also I get every other question wrong)

these questions are definitely more thought provoking than last year, it's harder to come up with wrong answers

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

:siren: SIGNUPS ARE NOW CLOSED! :siren:

The answer reveals will start this evening at 5pm Pacific time. Answers are now locked in, so feel free to discuss them in the thread. I'd appreciate it if people didn't just dump their entire entries here, but if you want to post something like, "Man, I put X for question Y, but it was really hard," then that's fine.

See you all in 17 hours!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't followed gaming news almost at all so I defaulted to Peter Molyneux for #8, he doesn't seem to ever have a good year.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anatharon posted:

I don't know if you're joking but I actually put Undertale in for most (though not all) of my positive answers. That was the "strategy" I mentioned earlier, all-in on Undertale. I think it'll work well.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
After carefully analyzing the Steam thread over the course of this year, I have come to the conclusion that the best course of action was indeed to put Undertale as both the best and the worst game of 2015.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Demicol posted:

I haven't followed gaming news almost at all so I defaulted to Peter Molyneux for #8, he doesn't seem to ever have a good year.

I dunno, if you die, you automatically aren't having a good year.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Everyone put Iwata for worst year, right?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I put Kojima for worst year, but Iwata probably had a worse one, yeah.

Also probably 60% of my entries were Undertale and/or Toby Fox. Everyone loves Undertale, right?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ramos posted:

I put Kojima for worst year, but Iwata probably had a worse one, yeah.

Also probably 60% of my entries were Undertale and/or Toby Fox. Everyone loves Undertale, right?

Half of mine were Rocket League-related.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I think I doubled down on Rocket League and UNDERTALE but I forgot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubled down on Rocket League and Undertale too for the most part.

I did pick Kojima for both Best 2015 and Worst 2015 though just because I figured he'd get one or the other just for recognizablity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anatharon posted:

This. Easy stuff this year.

• Locked thread