Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Barudak posted:

The otherwise mediocre anime Hunter x Hunters initial plot conceit is that the main characters are basically pyschopathic murder hobos and by getting a hunter card they will be legally recognized as such and no longer subject to things like "passports" and "needing to register their weapons"

Murder hobos are basically James Bond, aren't they?

PurpleXVI posted:

This thread got me to cough up the money for Godbound. Hoping to run a game soon. Thanks for the review!

Good to hear. I hope it'll run swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cripes, finally I'm caught up in this thread. It's only taken five months.

It's about ten to twenty pages too late, but here's my fix for Beast:

You're a creature that feeds on fear. Either you scare them or take advantage of things that have already scared them. You take on the form of various monsters, not because you are a dragon or a giant or whatever, but because that's what people are afraid of. You can also take on the form of modern monsters like aliens or mutants.

Depending on the person, and depending on how you scare them, you can cause one of two reactions in your victims over time. Either you traumatize them, or you improve their resolve. Both have consequences.

Improving their resolve makes them more resistant to your fear abilities (and less scared of things in general). Eventually, you can't feed off of them. They're also much more inclined to chase you off, so once you have a few of these types around, it's time for you to beat feet and find a new hunting ground.

Traumatizing people makes them more susceptible to fear. You can feed on them more easily, and they'll almost never try to fight you. But trauma attracts other monsters. These will not only start going after your prey, they're strong enough to be a threat to you.

You have to try to balance resolve and trauma. Build either one too quickly presents a different kind of risk, and lowers the amount of time you and your group of horrors can stay in the area. You can "teach lessons" and generally make people better (by improving their resolve), but that's a side-effect of your abilities. Ultimately, your purpose is to scare the bejeebers out of people and feet on those sweet nightmares. And even if you do your best to try to help them, you always run the risk of traumatizing them instead.

I had another idea as well that played into the idea of Beasts as scapegoats of their communities, but my idea lent itself too much to victim blaming.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

JackMann posted:

You're a creature that feeds on fear. Either you scare them or take advantage of things that have already scared them. You take on the form of various monsters, not because you are a dragon or a giant or whatever, but because that's what people are afraid of. You can also take on the form of modern monsters like aliens or mutants.

I'd so play in a WoD game if I can be Slenderman. Or an evil Sonic plushie giving away haunted ROMs.

Creepy: The Pasta

Doresh fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 12, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JackMann posted:

Here's my fix: Put the game book down and find something else to play.

Why try to fix something with no redeeming features? Seriously, we've heard in the thread a ton of ways to 'fix' Beast but they mostly involve not playing Beast, so why not just admit that fact?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Prism posted:

Why try to fix something with no redeeming features?

Because the concept feels like it has potential. So there's a gnawing feeling that this could be a good game if only we could [insert list here] and rip out the [insert other list here].

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

Because the concept feels like it has potential. So there's a gnawing feeling that this could be a good game if only we could [insert list here] and rip out the [insert other list here].

Rip out everything, insert anything else. Except for FATAL and those weird transformation fetish witch games.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JackMann posted:

No. Just stop it. It's a bad boring game in a world with thousands of options.

JackMann posted:

Ultimately, your purpose is to scare the bejeebers out of people and feet on those sweet nightmares.

Scare feet? Okay you've got me back on board. Some beast just furtively scattering Lego and D4s all over the street.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 12, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

theironjef posted:

Scare feet? Okay you've got me back on board.

What you need to be is one of these Monsters of the Week that steal abstract concepts from humans unti lthe heroes arrive in their colorful dresses or jumpsuits.

Your great tragedy is that you get worse and worse every time you run into the same gang of heroes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So many of Beast's themes are done better by other games, pretty much the only unique thing it could do is embrace the villain role whole hog but at that point you're removing basically everything else including the conceit about it being a "We're besties with everyone crossover party" game.

Play Forsaken, Play Promethean, Play any number of other CofD games, You do not have to play Beast.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Loxbourne posted:

But the concept is incredibly bad and ill defined! Every attempt at rebuilding beast just completely removes the central concepts of beast because they are bad!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Leviathan should be rebuilt and released as a proper product before Beast gets a fan fix.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Leviathan should be rebuilt and released as a proper product before Beast gets a fan fix.

Wouldn't a fan fix rely on it having fans? Seems more like people want to give it a She's All That pity date fix. Ooh, Beast would be great if it stopped wearing those paint-stained overalls and shook out its hair in slow motion.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Beast is the tree from a Charlie Brown Christmas, as done by a Clive Barker wannabe. All it needs is a little loathe.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

So many of Beast's themes are done better by other games, pretty much the only unique thing it could do is embrace the villain role whole hog but at that point you're removing basically everything else including the conceit about it being a "We're besties with everyone crossover party" game.

Play Forsaken, Play Promethean, Play any number of other CofD games, You do not have to play Beast.

Honestly, if there would ever be a crossover splat in the WoD, it would need to be tied to the themes of all the other splats. And given the wildly contrasting thematics of say, Changelings and Vampires, ultimately the crossover splat would need to be tied to some sort of greater theme intrinsic to the entire WoD, or else be super-superficial. Beasts are incredibly superficial, their whole theme is being horror movie monsters that work on genre savvy.

Honestly the only thing I can think of that the splats have in common is their relationship with humanity, which is why Hunters are the best crossover splat thus far.

Exalted, I think, has an easier time with crossover games because the themes of the different splats tend to have a greater degree of overlap combined with a shared history.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
The best thing Beast ever did was deliver an idea for a completely unsympathetic villain to throw at my players in the next occult horror game I run.

So how would a Beast translate into the Unknown Armies setting?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There was a cross-game oWoD splat, once upon a time. Gypsies. There was a clan with traits and powers that meshed with each extant line, though I think their Ravnos refused to have anything to do with vampires.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

Jesus McChrist I'll check back into the thread in a few weeks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Loxbourne posted:

What concept in Beast do you think is worth saving that is not also done by another game?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

theironjef posted:

Jesus McChrist I'll check back into the thread in a few weeks.

Edit: theironjef is right; debating Beast is dumb and I got angry over nothing and acted out. I apologize.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 13, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bieeardo posted:

There was a cross-game oWoD splat, once upon a time. Gypsies. There was a clan with traits and powers that meshed with each extant line, though I think their Ravnos refused to have anything to do with vampires.

They really love using their most baffling, ill-conceived splat as the crossover one, don't they?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

The best thing Beast ever did was deliver an idea for a completely unsympathetic villain to throw at my players in the next occult horror game I run.

Use the Avatar of the Dark Stalker with no modifications. Ruthless movie-monster-esque murderers who believe there is a certain nobility to their calling. The existing idea that Avatars of the Masterless Man and the Dark Stalker are mysteriously drawn to recognize and oppose each other would translate nicely to Beasts and Heroes.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So Godbound sounds pretty sweet, actually, and the system is one I could probably tolerate with my hippie storygaming self. Has anyone read the published module for it, Ten Buried Blades? The setting sounds full of things to adventure about and the random generators are helpful for making seeds but I'm curious about an example of what the writers feel is a Godbound adventure.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

occamsnailfile posted:

So Godbound sounds pretty sweet, actually, and the system is one I could probably tolerate with my hippie storygaming self. Has anyone read the published module for it, Ten Buried Blades? The setting sounds full of things to adventure about and the random generators are helpful for making seeds but I'm curious about an example of what the writers feel is a Godbound adventure.

I don't have that one (yet), but I do own Sixteen Sorrows, which is basically a random session generator. The example in the book involves the PCs trying to help a friend with a plague that causes people's skin to melt, with some jerkish priest who'd rather burn everything.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If people can take the Beast retooling chat - whether it's fixing in terms of fixing a car or fixing in terms of fixing a pet - over to the World of Darkness thread, I would be very appreciative.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

I have it, it's a fun read. It presents a Dulimbain town under the thumb of three powerful figures (a magistrate extorting a LOT of money from his people with the help of a crime lord, a Taoist sorcerer collecting "students" to fuel his immortality experiments, and the awakened spirit of an ancient war hero fostering a peasant revolt through his cult) and essentially tasks the players to handle these conflicting, destructive goals as Godbound would. There's advice on how to draw the players into the town's problems (assuming you're a pantheon just walking into town), as well as a lot of stuff in the margins that make it easier to run as a sandbox adventure, like what Words could be used to short-circuit particular challenges or examples on how to use Influence in the town.

It also has the Strife of the Torment Defied, a style that's all about mind over body and using pain inflicted on you as a weapon. Fun things to do include bending your body in ways it shouldn't to turn one of your failed hit rolls into a success, auto-saving against mental influence by rolling straight damage at yourself, and shattering your own bones and expelling the fragments as projectile weapons.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 13, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there anything for Godbound providing some pre-fab Gods written up for players to use off the bat? I'm buying this dumb game because it sounds awesome, but I'd love a little guidance/saving setup time the first session.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've never, ever, ever seen a pre-made character that looks ANYTHING like what players end up making, in any system.

Pre-made characters tend to be made to be "realistic," i.e. their skills are all over the place and they're not very "optimized," for the most part they're even badly designed from a mechanical standpoint. Players, on the other hand, tend to have a laser-like focus on either RAW POWER or a specific theme that it feels like you rarely see in the pre-mades.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I've never, ever, ever seen a pre-made character that looks ANYTHING like what players end up making, in any system.

Pre-made characters tend to be made to be "realistic," i.e. their skills are all over the place and they're not very "optimized," for the most part they're even badly designed from a mechanical standpoint. Players, on the other hand, tend to have a laser-like focus on either RAW POWER or a specific theme that it feels like you rarely see in the pre-mades.

I agree completely there. I just like to introduce my players to new systems with a session before building a character so you have a good grasp of how the game plays and exactly how you want to build your character so you don't waste time building something that doesn't work fully and then invest more time to rework it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Barudak posted:

Is there anything for Godbound providing some pre-fab Gods written up for players to use off the bat? I'm buying this dumb game because it sounds awesome, but I'd love a little guidance/saving setup time the first session.

This probably isn't exactly what you want, but there are some character blocks in the example fight the author wrote for the beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qCWY8UnLrcX3ozakNlSmJDSEk/view

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Chapter 5: Organizations and Advanced Classes
At this point, it seems that the writer of Exodus: Texas had realized that most advanced classes in Exodus were linked to organizations anyway, and dropped the pretense of having some that were general purpose entirely. The only new advanced classes are the organization-based ones we see in this chapter.

Monks of the Church of Chuck Norris Walker
Yep, we're going there. The Monks have their origins in a minister named Edward Johnson whose faith was shaken by the apocalypse, only to be renewed when he found a book by "a pre-Exodus martial arts instructor and action movie star which spoke of simple, fundamental faith in conservative and religious principles"; I don't know which of Norris's books this is most likely to be, and honestly I don't want to. Johnson uplifted Chuch Norris as "Norris the Divine", a sort of conservative Christian Buddha who acts as an enlightened figure who all adherents aspire to yet is not a true deity. One of Johnson's followers, a pop culture collector named Robert Ricky, then used Chuck Norris memes and episodes of Walker: Texas Ranger to inspire a second incarnation of Norris the divine known as Walker the Ranger. Ricky and his adherents claimed that following Norris the Divine's tenets was not enough on its own, and that one must follow the example of Walker the Ranger and be proactive in the wasteland. This dual-natured enlightened one soon became a triune figure after a martial artist of Chuck Do (the book's renaming of the real Norris-created martial art of Chun Kuk Do) came into the fold and presented the martial art' founder as yet a third aspect, Chuck the Man. Thus the Church of Norris the Divine became the Monks of Chuck Norris Walker and set out to engage in martial arts justice across Texas.

The monks of the order live a humble existence in a settlement known as Corpus Norris (what was Corpus Christi in the pre-apocalyptic times two decades ago), led by five black belt members of the order that act both as high priests and the settlement's judicial system. While they do have plentiful food thanks to Lake Corpus Christi being pristine and lively compared to the blighted ocean, other supplies are mainly gained through trade or services: namely, hiring out monks as bodyguards to places such as the refineries in Houston in exchange for their goods. While visitors can be of any faith and simply need to behave themselves, permanent residents of Corpus Norris must convert to the ways of Chuck Norris Walker. The largest problem the monks have is within rather than without, as a schism is brewing thanks to a black belt named Kai Cobra who believe that the monks should abandon their traditional ways as hired bodyguards for the forces of good only and instead become mercenaries for anyone with the coin to pay for them.

The unique advanced class for the monks is Chuck Do Student, a ten level martially focused class. It's basically just a better version of the Martial Artist from the d20 Modern Core Rulebook and Exodus Player's Guide, having pretty much all the features of that class plus some extra bonuses such as allowing their Intimidate checks to potentially stun a foe for a round at level 3 of the class and a special attack called the Roundhouse Kick. Make a Roundhouse Kick unarmed attack, get maximum critical hit damage you can deal without needing to make a damage roll in the first place. This is a 1/day ability at level 7 of the class and 2/day at level 10.

Holy Friars of the Refinery
In the world of Exodus, the Deepwater Horizon spill was the final nail in the coffin for the oil industry, as unlike in real life there was fusion cell technology waiting in the wings and the government was able to slide that out en masse. Luckily for the post-apocalyptic world to come, some facilities in Houston, Texas, were kept active to create gasoline-based products that weren't oil, and the city managed to survive. This allowed Houston to provide a critical service in a world where fusion cells were no longer being produced and older pre-fusion vehicles were coming back into service. Workers continued to work on the great refinery in the city, rote memorization without understanding of the greater concepts behind how the chemical processes being performed worked eventually transforming into a religious reverence of the process of making oil from gasoline:

Exodus Texas posted:

The Friars are aware that sometime in the distant past the Refinery was operated by technical know-how rather than religious ritual, but that time is long past and they no longer seek it.
You know, sometimes I am not sure if the Exodus writers actually recall that they changed the timeline from Fallout's to instead just twenty years from 2012 apocalypse to the new present. But yes, now we have weirdos that worship the oil refinery as an incarnate god. The Holy Friars of the Refinery are set up like a corporate organization, with the Abbot of their "monastery" being the equivalent of a CEO and four Priors acting as overseers of work divisions known as priories. The Priory of Operations are the factory workers, the Priory of Repairs are the mechanics, the Priory of Prospecting are the prospectors that seek new crude deposits or ruins of land-based oil derricks (they learned early on that all the ocean rigs in the Gulf were shut down and are effectively useless unless someone can find the legendary knowledge of how to get them running again), and the Priory of Sales are both the oil distributors and the individuals that maintain the Friars' trade network along I-10.

The Friars' main refinery is the Refinery in Houston, though they also have facilities in Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, and around various derricks in the middle of nowhere. They have no allegiance to any one organization in Texas, offering their precious gas to the Lone Star Nation, Knights of the Alamo, Desert Rangers, Monks of Chuck Norris Walker, and NEMO in exchange for soldiers to protect their refineries and trade routes. Their current leader, Abbot Costello, is a jovial man who some feel is way too frivolous but has nonetheless kept everything running smoothly.

Holy Friar of the Refinery is the new advanced class unique to members of this organization. For spending ten levels in it, you get average BAB, high Reflex and Will save progression, good Defense progression, and poor Fortitude progression combined with class features focused mostly on buffing rolls for Computer Use, Craft (a fair amount of different ones), Disable Device, Knowledge (Technology), and Repair. There's a few outliers in certain levels, like getting a bonus to Survival checks for prospecting at level 5 and 10 or an aura of pacifism that forces any creature attempting to attack a Holy Friar when there is another target available to make a Will save of DC 10 + the Holy Friar's level in the advanced class to actually carry out the attack.

The Lone Star Nation
Imagine if Texas somehow went even more red state than it is in reality, and you have the Lone Star Nation. This new Texan empire began in Dallas and expanded through annexation to an area defined by what settlements lie on its borders, the ones listed being the Texan cities of Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Huntsville, and Lubbock, Oklahoma City in Oklahoma, and Shreveport in Louisiana. Its presidents (technically just feudal kings, but it never hurts to use patriotic buzzwords if you are trying to keep power) have spoken of the old America as a nation that was once great but fell to decadence, secularism, and immorality. They say the Great War's two major participants were no coincidence, Iran being the symbol of the Muslim savage and China of the atheist heathen, both sent by God to punish a nation that had turned away from him. Hank Tree Sr., the first president of the Lone Star Nation, made sure his vision would be adhered to by slaughtering the "apostates" in the vault his family was stored in, using his charisma to further rile up the remaining fanatics, and burn the settlers that had already been in Dallas before their arrival at the stake in what he claimed was a ritual of consecration.

The family dynasty has since passed from Hank Tree Sr. to his son Hank Tree Jr., and then on to his son Michael Shepherd. President Shepherd acts as the king over various fiefdoms ruled by lords referred to as Senators. Below them, there are three types of civilian populace. First you have the citizen class, which are free men and women who pay exorbitant taxes but otherwise still hold basic human rights. Below them are the provincial class, who are basically serfs. Then, at the bottom, there are slaves made up of "heathens, infidels, foreigners, criminals, and debtors". Ghuls and mutants are considered to be abominations cursed by God, and are not allowed to be citizens. The violent first encounters between the Lone Star Nation and the Mutant Army means all non-ghul mutated humans are immediately seen as spies that can't be trusted. Visitors from outside of the Lone Star Nation are subject to Papers, Please levels of border scrutiny and documentation, as well as privacy invasions that are frequent and without warning.

The Lone Star Nation's advanced class is the Minuteman. They're a class with full Base Attack Bonus progression, great Fortitude and Defense progression, and poor Reflex and Will progression. In spite of the whole American Revolution getup they have in the art seen above, a level 1 Minuteman gets free combat armor and cowboy hat that acts as their Minuteman uniform, as well as a scoped FN-FAL. This uniform grants them recognizability and, at level 2, a +5 bonus to all social skils in the Lone Star Nation that drops to a +5 to Intimidate checks in any of the rest of Texas or against foes that have heard of the Lone Star Nation's prowess. They can also combo melee and ranged attacks in a full attack as long as they are using a rifle or shotgun, have 10% less overland travel time due to forced marches, get a free attack of opportunity against any charging foe, get a special attack (1/day at level 7 and 2/day at level 10) that treats a shotgun or rifle attack as a ranged touch attack, and can both get in or out of armor in half the usual time and sheathe or reload a weapon as a free action once per round.

The Order of the Alamo
San Antonio was the only city in Texas that got hit by strikes during the Great War as hard as those on the coasts. The Alamo, in spite of being a very old building, miraculously survived all the destruction and became a rallying point yet again as the city rebuilt itself. The massive fallout somehow didn't stay around or pollute the rivers and aquifers around the city either, which allowed San Antonio to become a huge trade hub between the cities to the west and the east. The Order of the Alamo is the defensive military that protects San Antonio's wealth from threats such as wandering raiders, the Mutant Army, and the Lone Star Nation. The ranks within the Order are page, squire, and knight, and grand master of the Order. And...that's about it. They aren't particularly hard to sum up.

The unique advanced class for the Order of the Alamo is the Knight Errant, a wandering warrior who goes out into the wilderness to right wrongs and protect the innocent rather than stay in San Antonio to defend it like most members of the Order do. It's pretty much a variant of the Disciple Knight advanced class, just with an allegiance to the Order of the Alamo rather than the Steel Disciples. It even gets free power armor too, making it the only easy way for a non-Disciple to do so.

Existing Organizations
Some of the organizations from the Exodus core triad are in Texas too. Here they are.
  • Desert Rangers: Texas is the bulwark for the Desert Rangers' campaign against NEMO.
  • The Savior's Army: They have two outposts in Texas, one in El Paso and one in Dallas.
  • NEMO: Juarez is the furthest north the slavers of NEMO have gotten a foothold. From there, they wage bloody war with the Desert Rangers stationed in El Paso. They also sell slaves to the Lone Star Nation and hire out mercenaries to the Friars of the Holy Refinery in exchange for gasoline.
  • Tribals: There are six tribes in Texas that call themselves the Comanche. None of them are, in fact, actual Comanche, and are literally stated to use a Hollywood stereotype version of the Comanche as their basis for living, dressing, and acting.

Chapter 6: Settlements
Corpus Norris
A settlement with a population of fifty Monks of Chuck Norris Walker. Unsurprisingly, there's not much to say about what is basically a dojo with a fish pond out back. There's also a temple with a VCR player in it that has a few copies of Walker: Texas Ranger available for worshipers to view.

Dallas
Dallas is the city that Hank Tree Sr. claimed the angel Gabriel showed him in a vision, declaring it the new promised land. The rest, as they say, is history, and it is now the seat of the president of the Lone Star Nation. The city's three hundred citizens and six hundred provincials live constantly surrounded by the Minutemen, who harass and threaten provincials constantly to keep them in a state of perpetual fear that President Shepherd claims is why Dallas has such a low crime rate. There are two hundred Minutemen foot soldiers and two motorized regiments stationed on a base near Mountain Creek Lake, allowing for swift deployment of overwhelming force in the case of any attack in the Lone Star Nation's territory. The vicious treatment of outsiders by Lone Star Nation officials means that almost all trade involves LSN-sanctioned caravans that export goods from the nation in exchange for imports of things that are hard to find within its borders. The quietest and most revered place in the city is Dealey Plaza, where it is said that one can receive divine guidance if you brave the ruins of the six-story Schoolbook Depository.

El Paso and Juarez
Cut through by the radiation-drenched Rio Grande, the twin cities of El Paso and Juarez are referred to as "the gateway to the Southwest Wasteland". El Paso would probably be the most prosperous city in the Texas Wasteland, too, were it not for that whole issue of it and Juarez being entrenched in constant violence between the Desert Rangers and NEMO. The only place where there is no violence at all is the stretch of I-10 due to neither side wanting to anger the Friars of the Holy Refinery, and even then most people would rather go a bit farther to avoid danger than spend even a day in El Paso. The five hundred people who live there anyway are well-armed, well-armored, and paranoid out of necessity.

Houston
This city built on big oil is the final stop on the east-bound length of I-10, which culminates in a grand bazaar set up along the highway in George Bush Park. The big attraction is the black gold of the Refinery, of course, and the city's five hundred strong population benefits greatly from its presence.

San Antonio
The home base for the Order of the Alamo's hundred-strong army and four hundred other citizens, San Antonio is well-defended and has pure ground water and rock wells that allow it to survive and even thrive in the sweltering west Texas heat. It also has a big presence in the trade circuits in spite of boycotts in NEMO and Lone Star Nation territories. The San Antonio Salsa Company – which is a weapons plant now, don't let the name fool you – in particular makes a hefty profit from selling weapons to people all across west Texas and resistance fighters in the LSN.

Next Time in Exodus: So that's Exodus: Texas capped and done with. But what does it all mean? I'll be bloviating meaninglessly about just that in the seal on the Exodus coffin.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Monks of the Church of Chuck Norris Walker

Now I have the sudden urge to ponder about a post-apocalyptic setting whose major conflict stems from warring religions based on former console manufacturers. The Church of Nintendo will confuse Link and Zelda, while The Church of Sega - for whatever reason - will end up worshipping Neptunia and Sonichu.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doresh posted:

Now I have the sudden urge to ponder about a post-apocalyptic setting whose major conflict stems from warring religions based on former console manufacturers. The Church of Nintendo will confuse Link and Zelda, while The Church of Sega - for whatever reason - will end up worshipping Neptunia and Sonichu.
I think you could actually do this pretty readily. Make the founding apocalyptic event be something that didn't do heavy infrastructure damage - say a plague or a curse or a radiation wave or some poo poo - and have one of the major surviving groups be a gamer convention of some kind.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

I think you could actually do this pretty readily. Make the founding apocalyptic event be something that didn't do heavy infrastructure damage - say a plague or a curse or a radiation wave or some poo poo - and have one of the major surviving groups be a gamer convention of some kind.

Ideally the apocalypse would happen in the late 80's or early 90's, just so I can use "Genesis does what Nintendon't" for war propaganda posters. Or they just use the slogan because those tapes are some of the few things that survived.

Or it happens in the near future - which would probably end up looking like Rifts if the Coalition had a Glorious PC Gaming fetish instead of a skull fetish.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 13, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm reminded of the until-recently censored "Burger Wars" story in Judge Dredd.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm reminded of the until-recently censored "Burger Wars" story in Judge Dredd.

Much blood was spilled when the Xbots were sent out to eradicate the Pokemonians, who were suffering from internal conflict over which Generation ruled supreme.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 13, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In lonely gas stations with mini-marts
You'll find rows of them for sale
Liquor-filled statues of Elvis Presley
Screw his head off
Drink him like a vampire
His disciples flock to such a fitting shrine
Sprawled across from his ghastly mansion
A shopping mall
Filled with prayer rugs and Elvis dolls

And I wonder
Yeah I wonder
Will Elvis take the place of Jesus in a thousand years?

Religious wars
Barbaric laws
Bloodshed worldwide
Over what's left of his myth?

Still kind of surprised there hasn't been an attempt to do a proper Fallout or Elder Scrolls P&P RPG, though the latter might set too high a bar for Bethesda by letting all the awesome weird poo poo in the lore that they could never do in a video game become canon.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I would be wary of an official Elder Scrolls RPG simply for the fact that I made myself invisible in Oblivion by enchanting enough armor pieces to give myself 100% Chameleon and for the famous exploits where you brew a potion to make yourself smarter, drink it, brew a stronger one, drink it...

I think it's kind of already been done in a TTRPG, mostly through Feat Abuse and minmaxing in a variety of systems.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Hostile V posted:

I would be wary of an official Elder Scrolls RPG simply for the fact that I made myself invisible in Oblivion by enchanting enough armor pieces to give myself 100% Chameleon and for the famous exploits where you brew a potion to make yourself smarter, drink it, brew a stronger one, drink it...

Or how about the classic Morrowind lycanthropy that sends your secret identity to every single person in the entire world if a lone farmer or bandit so much as sees your shadow when you transform?

Or the amazing law that legalizes murder if you insult a guy into attacking you?

Or the odd encounter guidelines that make random brigands wear Eldritch armor and weapon sets if your level his high enough?

Still, I have a soft spot for those weird critters in Morrowind.

(And the obvious solution to the potion problem is to play Godbound. The PCs just gained semi-divine powers from potion abuse.)

Doresh fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 13, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And how could we forget about the guard hive mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Doresh posted:

Or the amazing law that legalizes murder if you insult a guy into attacking you?

You also get to keep your victims' house for yourself, with the dead body of the victim lying inert in a hallway.