Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I should see about at least writing up a summary, but there's a Japanese book that collects a column on weird American TRPGs, and it includes a replay of when the author roped the writer and illustrator of Slayers into playing Slayers d20. One of the PCs was a weirdly cute fish boy.

I absolutely want to hear more about this, both the replay specifically and the column in general. Is any of the collected column online somewhere if I feel masochistic enough to try to read it in the original Japanese, or are we talking hardcopy only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ewen Cluney posted:

I should see about at least writing up a summary, but there's a Japanese book that collects a column on weird American TRPGs, and it includes a replay of when the author roped the writer and illustrator of Slayers into playing Slayers d20. One of the PCs was a weirdly cute fish boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMgV6iOuuQ

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Or even VR.

I dunno. I feel that VR would work better for a .Hack or Sword Art Online kind of show. YGO would feel a bit weird of all your heroes, villains and ancient evils could duel it out from their couch.

I'd also say making it VR could raise questions as to why they still need actual cards and those fancy duel disks. Though I could imagine an evil villain pushing the VR for virtual bootleg cards or something.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 26, 2016

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

I Am Just a Box posted:

I absolutely want to hear more about this, both the replay specifically and the column in general. Is any of the collected column online somewhere if I feel masochistic enough to try to read it in the original Japanese, or are we talking hardcopy only?

Japanese publishers aren't great about digital anything (though they're getting better), so AFAIK none of it is available online. The book (like the column it comes from) is called バカバカRPGをかたる (which is sort of a double meaning, so it means something like "Talking About/Lamenting Dumb RPGs," though the author says he means it in an affectionate way). The book came out in 2007, and it covers all kinds of RPGs, including Macho Women With Guns, Ninja Burger, Panty Explosion, My Life With Master, BESM, Little Fears, Trollbabe, Hong Kong Action Theater, etc. Now that I think about it, it's actually a lot like the kinds of writeups that go in this thread. When talking about Panty Explosion he says, "I mean, seriously, it says 'Panty Explosion' in Japanese, right on the cover. And here I am reading it on the Shinkansen like it's no big deal." (He also mentions that the powers it lists include making heads explode and levitating, but not making panties explode.) In general pretty much everything that touches on anything Japanese leaves the guy scratching his head. When talking about Legend of the Five Rings he wonders what the hell "Rokugan" is supposed to mean.

It's been ages since I last read this book, and it reminded me of some games I had pretty much forgotten existed like Fastlane (which uses a roulette wheel) and Asylum (which uses actual marbles, which you lose because you're playing a crazy person, and also I later found out that someone in Japan got a hold of it and made a Yandere supplement). I'd have to sit down and re-read the replay to tell you more, but to give you a general idea, this shows the PCs they made:

This was where I learned the lesson that what options you present players with an how will affect what choices they make. The actual creator of Slayers sat down to play Slayers d20, and because the book includes all of the wacky comic relief characters as fully playable races, the party was pretty much nothing like in the source material. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but I'm guessing the Slayers d20 designers didn't do that on purpose.)

Also the thing that the column writer scratches his head at how 魔族 in English is apparently "MAZOKU."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my god.

But yeah, Slayers d20 might inadvertently be the best furry game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure a party made up of all comedy-relief characters is... true to the spirit of Slayers, at least?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Ewen Cluney posted:

Japanese publishers aren't great about digital anything (though they're getting better), so AFAIK none of it is available online. The book (like the column it comes from) is called バカバカRPGをかたる (which is sort of a double meaning, so it means something like "Talking About/Lamenting Dumb RPGs," though the author says he means it in an affectionate way). The book came out in 2007, and it covers all kinds of RPGs, including Macho Women With Guns, Ninja Burger, Panty Explosion, My Life With Master, BESM, Little Fears, Trollbabe, Hong Kong Action Theater, etc. Now that I think about it, it's actually a lot like the kinds of writeups that go in this thread. When talking about Panty Explosion he says, "I mean, seriously, it says 'Panty Explosion' in Japanese, right on the cover. And here I am reading it on the Shinkansen like it's no big deal." (He also mentions that the powers it lists include making heads explode and levitating, but not making panties explode.) In general pretty much everything that touches on anything Japanese leaves the guy scratching his head. When talking about Legend of the Five Rings he wonders what the hell "Rokugan" is supposed to mean.

It's like playing a game called Dungeons & Dragons with neither dungeons nor dragons in it anywhere.

And reading L5R as a Japanese must be really weird. Though maybe not as much as Panty Explosion.

quote:

This was where I learned the lesson that what options you present players with an how will affect what choices they make. The actual creator of Slayers sat down to play Slayers d20, and because the book includes all of the wacky comic relief characters as fully playable races, the party was pretty much nothing like in the source material. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, but I'm guessing the Slayers d20 designers didn't do that on purpose.)

I think that was just the standard d20 tradition of "Turn everything from the source material into at least a prestige class". If it looks like it could technically be a PC race, it better well be one!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There is an entire prestige class based on two characters from a single episode.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Also the thing that the column writer scratches his head at how 魔族 in English is apparently "MAZOKU."

Do you know anything about the MAGIUS adaptation of Slayers, or MAGIUS in general? I heard it was fairly generic as well, but it's hard to find information on it.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

There is an entire prestige class based on two characters from a single episode.

This is why a class-based system with very specific classes doesn't work so well with whackier anime. The amount of one-of-a-kind blokes and special snowflakes can get through the roof.

I mean, can you imagine One Piece d20? A world in which super-powered snowflake pirates are so special that literally nobody else in the entire world can have their power set?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Doresh posted:

I mean, can you imagine One Piece d20? A world in which super-powered snowflake pirates are so special that literally nobody else in the entire world can have their power set?

I can, I've seen Naruto d20. :v:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can, I've seen Naruto d20. :v:

I know that one exists, but all I know aside from that is that it's like 1,000+ pages long. And probably also about silly-looking ninja.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 27, 2016

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Do you know anything about the MAGIUS adaptation of Slayers, or MAGIUS in general? I heard it was fairly generic as well, but it's hard to find information on it.
What I've heard is that it's just a really bland generic system that the publisher shoehorned a bunch of licensed titles into. The Wikipedia page on it says that the basic resolution mechanic is "roll 2d6 and add your stat to get over a target number, and if you have a relevant skill you roll 3d6 and take the highest two dice."

In general Japanese TRPGs go to weird extremes of being really unique or completely generic rules-wise.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Ewen Cluney posted:

What I've heard is that it's just a really bland generic system that the publisher shoehorned a bunch of licensed titles into. The Wikipedia page on it says that the basic resolution mechanic is "roll 2d6 and add your stat to get over a target number, and if you have a relevant skill you roll 3d6 and take the highest two dice."

Sounds like it would be better to convert it to Maid.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Blackbird, dude, I would Patreon you to translate that book for this thread. :)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This is absolutely amazing and it's hilarious to see the other side of the "weird foreign RPG" thing. The fact it covers a lot of relatively obscure weird stuff is even better, but I guess that makes sense in its own way too, since the mainstream stuff is a lot more predictable. There hasn't exactly been a big push to translate Sword World or something after all (unless I missed that...)

And yeah. I'm not sure a full translation would be a productive use of time, but a chapter-by-chapter quick summary in F&F would be super great and I'd totally chip in a bit for the effort if need be.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Midjack posted:

Yeah me neither. I don't LARP but nothing in that thread is inconsistent with stuff I've seen in my brief exposures to it.

In general unless you're rolling more dice than you can fit in your hand the computerized RNGs don't offer much advantage and introduce a bunch of problems which, while not a big deal if everyone is cool, are amplified by bad players.

Wow, that thread was intense, and definitely reminded me why I gave up LARPing after a handful of sessions.

Also reminded me of my current frustration with the state of gaming in general. Every time I try to join a group, the people with serious mental/social issues now outnumber the stable people just trying to have fun. Now when I game, it's only with people I explicitly trust. It's driving away new people and really hurting this hobby.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Simian_Prime posted:

Also reminded me of my current frustration with the state of gaming in general. Every time I try to join a group, the people with serious mental/social issues now outnumber the stable people just trying to have fun. Now when I game, it's only with people I explicitly trust. It's driving away new people and really hurting this hobby.

As someone who's been roleplaying for, well, at least two-thirds of his life, I can assure you that roleplayers always had, if not a majority, then at least a very vocal minority of goddamn weirdos and creeps. The reason they seem so much more prevalent than the normal people, is that they're A) desperate to play in games either for the sake of their weird Magical Realm garbage or to play as Drizzt "Original Character" Durden, and B) on account of being dysfunctional weirdos, they're probably NEET's or otherwise unemployed and have way more time to game than all the normal people.

No matter where I've played in or run games, the ratio of normal to weirdo has never really changed much, so it isn't even much a matter of community(though some are way, waaaaaay worse than others).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Previous post

Who The Heck Are You?! The Races of Slayers!

A human male would’ve had the same reaction if asked to kiss a wolf chick, right? I mean, unless he were weird and into body hair or whatever. I mean, it’s not me being rejected here, it’s my genus. It’s not my fault he’s not attracted to women outside his species. Wait, goblins are outside his species…

So! Races! The first thing the book tells you about races is what you cannot be. You cannot be

-A dwarf
-An elf
-A gnome
-A halfling
-A haf-elf
-A half-orc

"But Waffleman, that's basically everything!" you would say. And to that I would respond, "Shut the hell up, I'm talking." So shut the hell up, I'm talking.

So we'll come right out and say that Slayers d20 only has three core races. This is true to the show in that there is really not a lot you can be. Now at first blush, this seems like barely anything to work with, but there are actually a fair bit of options available to you.

So, our first core race is Beastmen! As the name suggests, beastmen are creatures with both human and animal characteristics. Furries, if you will. A wide variety of animals are represented by the beastmen, from goats to wolves to bulls to fish (?!?!?!?!) In the series, they basically serve the same purpose as orcs, very tribal, insular folks that usually serve as bandits or hired hands to act as an enemy encounter. But some of them are cool!

Mechanically speaking, Beastmen are an umbrella race, with your ability score adjustments being based on which kind of animal you are. There's even a table, check it out!

Ah, tables. As you can see, they're usually either fighters or thieves. That's racist! I don't think there's anything stopping you from making a fish wizard who fights for justice. I mean, you should probably make a fish wizard. But yeah, fighty-types and stealy-types work best with beastmen.

YOU SHOULD BE A BEASTMAN IF:

-You wanna be big and tough
-You wanna be sneaky and stealy
-You like Sonic the Hedgehog a bit too much
-You think humans are boring
-You wanna be a fish wizard

Next up, the second core race is Dragons! Wait, dragons? Yes, dragons! Specifically Golden Dragons, whom feature heavily in the third season of the series. Dragons are kinda the elves of Slayers, being long-lived mystical servants of the gods. Dragons are guardians of peace and order, though they're not necessarily "good." Dragons can do some cold poo poo if they think they're working for the greater good.

Now, if you're wondering how a dragon PC logistically works, don't worry, they have human forms, it's okay! A dragon PC can assume dragon form at will with a special skill check. It makes them big and strong! They also get DRAGON BREATH which is badass! Hell yeah! Dragons are magical types, with their favored class being priests, y'know, clerical types.

YOU SHOULD BE A DRAGON IF:

-You wanna be a Led Zeppelin album cover
-You like Godzilla movies
-You want to be the team mom
-You're a good boy who goes to church
-You don't want to be a fish wizard

Finally, Humans!

Humans are humans.

I....I don't know what to say here. They're exactly as they are in D&D. NEXT!

YOU SHOULD BE A HUMAN IF:

-You're boring
-You're bad at roleplay
-You think the idea of a party full of dragons is lame
-I'm giving you poo poo, but it's okay to be a human
-You want to be the furthest thing possible from a fish wizard

And that's it for core races! That's all she wrote.

Well, there is...one thing. The Slayers universe has beings called Mazoku, or the Monster Race, who are kind of demons, except demons are their own thing as well and it's kinda confusing. Mazoku are beings of pure chaos, who only seek to gently caress poo poo up. While these is a Mazoku in the main cast of the second and third seasons, the designers have declined to add them as a playable race, citing tone concerns. I mean, these things are just evil! They don't have time for like...jokes and stuff! There is the caveat that if you REALLY wanna be one, you can just adapt the Mazoku stats from the bestiary chapter (That's later!) to your PC. But like...nah, man.

YOU SHOULD BE A MAZOKU IF:

-You main Reaper
-You're 14 (See above)
-You wanna ruin everyone's day
-You wish Slayers wasn't so funny
-You want to kill the fish wizard

So, that's not a lot. But to alleviate this, we have several templates that you can ratchet on to your character to make something a bit more esoteric!

First off, Chimeras! A chimera is a magical creature made by using black sorcery to shove a bunch of creatures together into one guy. For example, Slayers main character Zelgadis is a chimera of a human, a rock golem, and a demon. All a chimera means mechanically is that you can apply more than one race template to your guy, or even race templates outside of the book with GM discretion. That seems like it could be a bit broken, huh?

Next is Copies. A copy is a magic clone of a person. There was one guy in the first season that had a lot of copies and that's why it's a thing in this book. That's kind of a theme with the chargen stuff. I'm going to be completely honest here, I'm not sure how copies are supposed to work on a "creating a character to start this adventure" sense. It hinges on a fully statted character already existing for you to base it off of, and there's so much complication about allocating previous levels and adjusting from their ability scores, don't do it, it's dumb. They made it way too mechanical when being a clone of a guy probably should have been more of a fluff thing.

And this isn't even getting into stuff like skills and ability scores.

The last five templates are half-whatever or nots, again, most of them here because one person in the series was that thing.

Half-demons are ace spellcasters, gaining the ability to cast common spells of any discipline regardless of class, and gain a couple of bonuses to spellcasting and magic resistance. Cool!

Half-dragons get dragon breath, a couple other dragon perks like low-light vision and hunger resistance, and similar spellcasting bonuses to the half-demon. Roar!

Half-golems are big and tough and basically rock walls. Huge!

Half-Mazoku get similar bonuses to the dragons and demons, but can also shift to the astral plane! Whoa!

Half-trolls have great healing ability! Nice!

That's those! Hooray~!

So, for an example character, let's take our fish wizard. Now, fishmen take a -2 hit to INT, so that might not be so good. But what if this fishman was kidnapped by a sorcerer and combined with a demon AND a dragon to be one-third fish, one-third dragon, and one-third demon? Well, now you've got a fish with dragon breath, the ability to cast all common spells, and great magical bonuses and resistance!

Hotcha, the Demon Dragon Fish is born!

Join us next time when we look at classes and the big problem of being A Bit Too Faithful To The Source.

On The Next Episode: Get A Job Already! The Classes Of Slayers!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Slayers doesn't have elves? That's quite shocking, even for a Japanese fantasy show. They love themselves some elves with ridiculously long ears.

Then again fish wizards are far superior in any conceivable way.

PurpleXVI posted:

As someone who's been roleplaying for, well, at least two-thirds of his life, I can assure you that roleplayers always had, if not a majority, then at least a very vocal minority of goddamn weirdos and creeps. The reason they seem so much more prevalent than the normal people, is that they're A) desperate to play in games either for the sake of their weird Magical Realm garbage or to play as Drizzt "Original Character" Durden, and B) on account of being dysfunctional weirdos, they're probably NEET's or otherwise unemployed and have way more time to game than all the normal people.

No matter where I've played in or run games, the ratio of normal to weirdo has never really changed much, so it isn't even much a matter of community(though some are way, waaaaaay worse than others).

Heck, White Wolf made a business out of catering to those guys. Especially the oWoD attracted some weird folks. As in "Magick is real, guiz!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why the hell would you NOT want to be a fish wizard.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doresh posted:

Heck, White Wolf made a business out of catering to those guys. Especially the oWoD attracted some weird folks. As in "Magick is real, guiz!"
Keep in mind that at least one of these people were a White Wolf writer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I've had this book in some form and read it occasionally for about six years, and the possibility only came to me when I was writing the section on Beastmen. It's an amazing thought.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Int -2. Goats get +2, tho. So go goat.

And bear in mind just about everything other than humans or beastmen get level adjustments, so you can be a dragon wizard... if you don't mind being 6 levels below a human wizard for casting. And having the hit points of a turnip. The usual d20 disasters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Int -2. Goats get +2, tho. So go goat.

And bear in mind just about everything other than humans or beastmen get level adjustments, so you can be a dragon wizard... if you don't mind being 6 levels below a human wizard for casting. And having the hit points of a turnip. The usual d20 disasters.

Ah, d20. I remember playing as a half-fiend once.

That was not a good idea. However, I was a Cleric in a party mostly full of non-casters so I was still the most powerful PC in the party despite being 4 levels behind.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Asimo posted:

Keep in mind that at least one of these people were a White Wolf writer.

Dear Lord...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looks like the only dragons available for players are the enigmatic Glass Dragons.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Doresh posted:

Looks like the only dragons available for players are the enigmatic Glass Dragons.

To be fair, you get Damage Resistance, so you'll only die to +1 cats.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The gold dragons in season 3 (other than the protagonist) IIRC had a pretty poor record in combat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The designers of the game, on the Mazoku: "It's not a matter of the Mazoku being too powerful. We are, after all, allowing dragons as a playable race."

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Considering that we're talking about Slayers, I bet all the cats are +1 cats. Just to make sure that they can mow down Commoners.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The classes chapter starts out with an anecdote about the designers actually having a serious problem with naming classes that goes "Well, Gourry calls himself a warrior and this other guy calls himself a warrior, so let's call the class Warrior." "But there's an NPC class named Warrior." "gently caress!"

They were that drat slavish to the source material.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

wdarkk posted:

The gold dragons in season 3 (other than the protagonist) IIRC had a pretty poor record in combat.

Well, that's down to the awful writing of Slayers TRY, which uses gold dragons solely for the purpose of having characters can show off how strong they are by murdering them.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ALL FLESH MUST BE EATEN

ENTER THE ZOMBIE

CHAPTER TWO

Hello again! You may be asking "why are you starting on chapter 2?". Well that's because Chapter One in pretty much every AFMBE book is the intro that goes over what the book is about and follows a little bit of intro fiction. Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again: Enter the Zombie is the sourcebook for heroic bloodshed action and kung fu fighting. More importantly, it includes rules for two new types of cast members, rules for playing as a zombie and a buttload of new zombie abilities. Even if you're not down with these types of movies or entertainment, the new rules are well worth the price of admission. Also resoundingly excellent is the intro fiction. It's about the spirit of a Dread Lord being summoned into a fresh corpse to kill a crime lord/sorcerer who killed the summoner's girlfriend. It's way better than I'm making it sound.

CHAPTER TWO: TAO OF THE DEAD

New Character Types

Both of these new types use Essence but they're not like the Inspired. Their powers are their own and they're an expression of Chi instead of holy might. They're a little more of a cross between the Inspired and Survivors, getting durability and ability and Chi powers.

Martial Artists have mastered the physical and spiritual sides of their bodies to unleash them as a living weapon. They kick rear end and take names for a living when they're not training or honing their minds. Martial Artists get 25 points for Attributes, 10 for Qualities (10 for Drawbacks), 15 for Skills and 20 for Metaphysics. Some of these points will be spent on the Gift Quality and a type of Essence Channeling Quality. They get more Attributes than Inspired and Survivors (and when Dex is king, that's pretty major!) and more points for Metaphysics than Inspired do (though granted some of it might end up being spent on what's necessary to use their abilities). Their big downside is they get less Quality points than Survivors (and when you consider that a Survivor can start play in full Don't Suck, that matters) and they get less Skills than both Survivors and Inspired (due to the somewhat limited nature of their training and the fact that there's no reduction in price for the Martial Arts skill for them). Basically they're excellent at melee combat and being able to use their Chi abilities but they're not really as well rounded as a Survivor. Also if you use the other type of character generation in the book with randomized skill points, Martial Artists get a base 5 points minimum.

Shooters are masters of gun-fu, able to use Chi to manipulate their reflexes and ability to sling bullets. They get 20 points for Attributes, 15 for Qualities (10 for Drawbacks), 20 for Skills and 15 for Metaphysics, also needing to buy Gift/Essence Channeling. Their Attribute and Quality spread is on par with a Survivor and their Metaphysics meet the Inspired's point pool. Their big weakness is the lack of Skill points being on the lower side of things, just not as badly as the Martial Artist. Granted, putting points into Gun is less costly, but. Essentially the Shooter is a Survivor who traded 15 points of Skills for points to spend on gun-fu tricks, which can be especially helpful in the right kind of game.

MARTIAL ARTS

There's a handy new rule change in place for the Martial Arts skill. In the basic rules, Martial Arts costs 2 points per rank and then 5 points after Level 5, giving +1 damage per skill level as well. The change is the addition of actual moves and the fact that when you get your first rank in Martial Arts, you get to pick three moves that make up the core of your school. Every time you level Martial Arts, these three moves increase in power to be the same level as the core skill. Every level after also gives you 3 points to spend on picking more moves at a level you want to see them at. So, say someone takes Martial Arts 4. They get 12 points total and the first three abilities purchased cost 1 point each and will auto-level with the skill. You now have 9 points to spend on other moves and abilities. Points can't be used to level abilities over the skill's level; skill level acts as the cap.

Further rules: each move counts as an action for the purposes of multiple actions in a sequence on your turn.

Martial Arts Combat Moves
  • Arm Lock: parry or grab someone successfully to apply Strength Damage as long as the arm lock is held. This damage is inflicted automatically, but the defender can break free if they win a Difficult Strength test vs. Strength+Arm Lock test.
  • Back Kick: kick people behind you without turning around, dealing d4xStrength damage. Failing this move means you run the risk of accidentally throwing yourself off balance or falling down.
  • Breakfall: Make a Dexterity+Breakfall check where success levels reduce the damage multiplier from a fall by 1 point per level. When the multiplier hits 1, the success levels start shaving 1 point of damage off the result per level.
  • Counterpunch: triggers on a successful parry. Each level of success from the parry adds +1 to hit with the counterpunch. The punch deals 1d4xStrength damage.
  • Crescent Kick: kick mightily in a circle. Deals 1d6xStrength damage but it's harder to keep your balance than the Back Kick.
  • Disarm: Dex+Disarm vs. Dex+Weapon Skill to disarm an enemy.
  • Flip: get off the ground without having to use a Defense action to get back up on a successful Dex+Flip roll. Failure means the Defense was wasted and you're still on the ground.
  • Grab: a successful grab means that the attacker can fire off another Combat Move with no penalty for multiple actions. Grabs can be added to Dodges or Parries with no penalty either. Does this mean you can Parry a punch, Grab the attacker and Counterpunch the attacker right in the solar plexus? Yes it does!
  • Head Butt: The big upside of a head butt is that you can use it when your hands are full or you're tied up. The big downside is that a failed Skill roll to use it means you take the 1d4xStrength damage instead because you hurt your head. Fairly accurate to real life, really.
  • Jab: Jabs can be used twice in a row with no penalty because they're so quick. 1d4x(Strength-1) damage.
  • Judo Throw: Parry or Grab someone to make a Judo Throw roll. Success deals 1d4 damage and puts the opponent prone, giving them -4 to pretty much everything combat-related.
  • Jump Kick: deals 1d6x(Strength+2) damage but loving it up means you run the risk of falling down.
  • Kick: Regardless of success, throwing a kick out into the aether means that the attacker gets -2 to any defensive actions that turn or the next. 1d4x(Strength+1) damage.
  • Punch: On the other hand, throwing a punch gives you +2 to any defensive action that turn. Deals 1d4xStrength damage.
  • Roll With The Blow: If you're hit by an attack, you can spend your next attack move to attempt to roll with the blow. Before damage is calculated, a successful RWTB test means each level of success reduces the damage multiplier of the attack by 2 down to 0.
  • Roundhouse: A heavy attack that deals 1d6xStrength damage but means you take -2 to defensive actions that round.
  • Stabbing Hand: Punch+; more damage but with less defensive bonuses. 1d4x(Strength+1) damage.
  • Shove: force the opponent back on successful contest with the possibility of putting them on the ground. No damage.
  • Spin Kick: Deals 1d4x(Strength+2) damage but carries the same defense penalty as the regular kick plus the threat of losing your balance like the back kick.
  • Sucker Punch: if the attacker succeeds on an Intelligence+Sucker Punch vs. Perception test, the target can't defend against the 1d4xStrength damage punch.
  • Trip: Force the target down to the ground and deal 1d6 damage.
So in a nutshell, punches are a good reliable way to do damage and keep on your toes while kicks can do more damage at the cost of screwing yourself. Bit like real life, really. Any build with Kicks is definitely going to want to look into Flip while Grab pairs nicely with certain punches.

SPECIAL CHI TECHNIQUES

Chi Techniques are bought with Metaphysics points during chargen with a point cost equal to the Essence paid to use the power per time period. After chargen, the cost is double the essence cost. If the technique has a variable cost, it’s 3 for chargen and 6 post.

Using these techniques requires you to have two things: the Essence needed to activate the power and the ability to channel your Essence. Essence Channeling is paid for with Quality or Metaphysics points and lets you channel Rank Essence and recover Rank Essence a minute. It costs 2 points per rank 1-5 and then 5 per level after. You can totally run around with just Rank 1 Essence Channeling; it just means you’ll need multiple turns to accumulate the Essence you want to spend on a Technique. You can also channel Essence to disrupt an enemy’s use of Chi on a 1:1 basis, using your own to make them unable to pay for their abilities. It’s handy but you have to be careful to leave yourself enough for your own abilities. Also it’s up in the air if you can use multiple Techniques and multiple actions on the same turn, sometimes requiring penalties or just outright refusal based on what you want to do.

Techniques
  • Acrobatic Shooting (2e/turn): the Shooter is capable of feats of gymnastic prowess such as the classic Max Payne diving shot or surfing on a car hood and shooting or doing a backflip and shooting. Enemies have -3 to hit the shooter using this power without penalizing the shooter at all, or this ability can just be used to let the shooter do something seemingly impossible while shooting.
  • Ain’t Got Time To Bleed (varies): AGTTB lets the user ignore the penalties of damage as long as they can pay the Essence to just grit their teeth and bear it. 2 Essence points can be used to ignore 5 points of damage. The damage is still taken, but it only really takes hold at -20 LP when all of the survival rules take effect.
  • Balance of the Cat (1e/turn): Engage in gymnastic shenanigans without fail in addition to automatically recovering from being thrown. These things can all be done at full speed too.
  • Be Like The Water (varies): 2 Essence points per turn grant an extra Dodge.
  • Blind Firing (3e/attack): Lowers the penalties to shooting with poor visibility to a flat -3 to hit.
  • Blind Strike (2e/attack): Like above but with melee. The fighter also knows where exactly the enemy is if they're within Speed yards of them.
  • Catch Bullets (3e/attempt): You can attempt to catch up to your Dexterity in missiles (bullets, arrows, shuriken) by paying the cost and making a Difficult Dexterity Test each time. Essence can also be spent to give a bonus on the attempts to catch. Does not work with bombs or shotguns unless the shotgun is loaded with slugs.
  • Chi Block (4e/close combat attack): Punch an enemy and spend the Essence to inflict 1d4xStrength damage but it also messes with their Chi flow. A successful punch means the target can channel Success Levels less Essence for Success Levels rounds.
  • Chi Bolt (5e/bolt): Throw Chi manifested in some form as a ranged attack, maybe as a fireball or sonic boom or something invisible. Deals 1d6x4 damage and can target up to Willpowerx10 yards away.
  • Chi Drain (4e/attack): Damage the opponent to make Essence flow from them and be lost in the air. Essence lost this way can't be used by anyone unless they have some kind of vampiric ability. Bleeds off 1d6x3 Chi.
  • Chi Punch (3e/attack): Coats your fist in visible Chi energy until you attack something with it. Deals 1d10xStrength damage.
  • Chi Shout (1e/attack): kiai loudly when attacking for +2 to hit and +2 damage on a melee attack. No yelling to make bullets better.
  • Combat Sense (3e/turn): +3 to Perception when using this ability and +2 to initiative.
  • Crippling Hold (3e/turn): Automatically apply 1d6xStrength damage when you’re grappling someone as long as you can pay the Essence cost. If you have to recharge, you’ll continue grappling the target but just don’t do any damage.
  • Drunken Punch (3e/attack): The attacker can fire off an erratic punch that causes the defendant to take a -3 to avoid the punch. If it connects, the -3 continues to all defensive actions for the next turn. The Drunken Punch itself deals 1d6x(Strength+1) damage.
  • Eagle Eye (2e/attack): Ignore all range penalties with firearms and shoot accurately up to the weapon’s maximum range. Want to kill a helicopter pilot with a handgun? Eagle Eye’s got your back.
  • Flying (5e/turn): Literally fly. Well, okay, jump in the air and have total directional control over your trajectory and where you’re going to land. It’s more like a hang time in a basketball dunk. While aloft, the user can move at a rate of Speedx4 and can keep spending Essence to remain in the air. This can also be used to control/negate fall damage.
  • Flying Chi Kick (2e/attack): Launch yourself like a missile and travel up to 20 feet in a straight line to hit the target. Defending against the kick is done normally, but the kick itself does 1d8x(Strength+2) damage.
  • Flying Windmill Kick (varies): Mix the Flying Chi Kick with the later Hurricane of Kicks and you’ve got this ability. You launch yourself like a FCK, it has the same base cost and the same damage, but you can also spend 2 Essence to attempt another kick with no penalty for multiple actions. You can spend up to 10 Essence to fire off multiple kicks.
  • Great Leap (1e/leap): Standing still, the user can hop up to 18 feet (6 meters) in the air or jump 36 feet (12 meters) horizontally. With a running start of at least 9 feet, the vertical limit is 36 feet and the horizontal limit is 72 feet (24 meters).
  • Golden Bell (varies): The user can kiai and help negate damage as they receive it thanks to the power of Hamon Energy Chi. The user can spend up to 5 Essence and each point negates 1d4xWillpower damage. Note: this only works against blunt weapons, not bladed/edged weapons or bullets.
  • Healing Touch (3e/touch): Ahh, here we go, reliable healing for the party on the go. Each touch massages life back into the body via Chi infusion and can be used on the user or someone else, even if they’re undead. Every touch restores 1d4xWillpower Life Points (or if you’re undead, just User’s Willpower LP).
  • Hurricane of Kicks (varies): Fire off another kick for the price of 2 Essence. The extra kicks don’t have any penalties for multiple actions, but you can only spend up to 8 points of Essence and this ability doesn’t combine with any other technique or combat move.
  • Instant Reload (2e/reload): the user can reload faster than the eye can see, meaning the gun is just spontaneously reloaded as long as the user has more bullets on their person somewhere.
  • Iron Palm (2e/attack): Deal 1d6xStrength damage against living or undead targets. You can also use this to punch through wood or stone, leaving a fist-sized hole. Not effective against any metal stronger than iron.
  • Multiple Shooter (varies): Use Chi to control the muzzle of a gun so there’s less kick and you can shoot more accurately. In plain English, make as many ranged attacks as you want with no penalty as long as you pay 1 Essence. Penalties only apply when the shooter stops paying Essence. This is absolutely overpowered in terms of combat and absolutely hilariously useful.
  • No Shadow Kick (varies): The advanced form of the Flying Windmill Kick. The first attack costs 4 Essence and up to 10 more points can be spent on using more kicks, like the FWK. Unlike the FWK, every kick knocks the target back 2 yards if it connects and when all kicks are done the target has to make a test to remain on their feet and not fall to the ground (if they’re still alive). Damage is the same as the FWK.
  • No See Blow (4e/attack): A rough punch to the opponent’s head only deals 1d4xStrength damage but blinds them for rounds equal to double the amount of Success Levels achieved.
  • One-Inch Punch (1e/attack): Ahh, the famous One-Inch Punch. You can use this while being grappled by an opponent or attack people discretely in a crowd, making them roll to see if they notice the blow coming or if anyone else sees you hit them. Deals 1d4x(Strength+1) damage and extra Essence can be spent to make it harder to see coming, but can’t be combined with any other Chi ability.
  • Penetrating Shot (varies): Ignore armor without using armor-piercing rounds. It costs 2 Essence to ignore armor up to chainmail, 3 for armor up to plate, Class 1 and riot shields and 4 for armor up to Class 2, 3 or 4.
  • Power Flick (3e/attack): Imbue Chi into an item and then flick it at the enemy to deal 1d6x2 damage. You can use playing cards, pebbles, pencils, grains of rice or you can even use bullets without a gun.
  • Quick Draw (2e/draw): Exactly what it sounds like, but mostly for guns as long as they’re within six feet of you. Two shooters with this power can go after the same gun, which results in a Dexterity contest.
  • Rain of Fists (varies): Each point of Essence spent lets the attacker throw out another punch up to 5 Essence spent. Punches do regular damage and this power can’t be combined with other powers or combat moves, but the defender can only defend against as many attacks as they have actions to spare.
  • Running the Gauntlet (3e/turn): Run as fast as you can while blind-firing at the enemy to give them -6 to hit you. Even if they do hit you, the damage has a -1 to its multiplier.
  • Speak Nicely to Betsy (3e/attack): Attune your Chi to a specific signature weapon, giving you +2 to using it and hitting. This can be two weapons, but that doubles the cost of using both at once.
  • Super Throw (varies): Fling the enemy up to Strength+Martial Arts in yards after a successful grab. This costs 1 point and additional points can be spent to increase the distance thrown by 1 yard. Damage dealt depends on where the victim lands, but the victim always lands prone (alive or dead).
  • Trick Shot (varies): The GM determines the cost based on what the shooter wants to achieve and how unlikely it is that it could happen. Regardless of how ridiculous they are, there’s no penalty to the shot, just a price to pay. Examples the book uses: average shots (like shooting down a chandelier) is 1 point, challenging (opening a door by shooting the control panel) are 2, difficult (firing around a corner using ricochets) are 3 and near impossible (shooting another bullet out of the air) cost 5.
  • Two-Fisted Firing (2e/turn): Dual-wield guns with no penalties to hit. The only restrictions are that each gun must be used against the same target and that recoil still applies if both guns are going to used to make multiple attacks.
  • Wave of Chi (4e/wave): Bust out an AoE that hits anyone in front of you up to 3 yards away. This deals 1d4x2 damage automatically and forces a Strength check; if failed, you’re forced prone and are pushed back two yards.

PLAYING ZOMBIES

In order to play zombies, we first have to explore how to make them. They follow a slightly different creation method than the core game’s zombie creation and character creation.
  • The core stats for the player character comes from a premade zombie template for the setting. Going to play a PHADE zombie? Use the PHADE zombie’s statblock. If the template doesn’t have Problem Solving or Long-Term Memory, add those on but increase the power level by 20 points.
  • You now have 10 points to bump your Attributes up as you see fit. The limits of human maximums don’t apply but you still have to pay more to get a 5+ Attribute. Note: these 10 points also raise the power level by 10 automatically.
  • Calculate Speed, Essence and Dead Points (only applies if they have All as a weak spot).
  • Subtract the total Power Level from 90. The remaining points can be used on Skills, Qualities, Metaphysics and Zombie Aspects. The player can still choose to take up to 10 points of Drawbacks as well.
  • Qualities: Any qualities or drawbacks that affect Endurance do nothing; they cost no points and they refund no points. Same thing applies to Recurring Nightmares. Hard to Kill does raise Dead Points, Increased Essence Pool does raise Essence and zombies can take any Supernatural quality they want.
  • Skills: no change to skill prices, but some skills might be unfeasible or unusable due to the state of the body.
  • Metaphysics: no real change here besides needing The Gift to be Inspired, be a Shooter or a Martial Artist.
  • Aspects: okay, here’s where things get a little tricky. Zombies are limited to what they’re originally given from the template when it comes to base physical attributes. Any enhancements to those have to come from spending those 10 Attribute points. If you’re a breed of 90 Pound Weakling zombies, you can’t buy Monstrous Strength. That being said, you can buy Aspects that fall under Intelligence (being able to speak wasn’t included in the core intelligence boost, buy that) and you can buy Special Aspects (you may be a 90 Pound Weakling, but you’re immune to fire!). Cost of an Aspect is equal to its Power Level.
  • Zombies don’t suffer any impairment (outside of losing parts) from Dead Point loss. That being said, once their DP hit 0, that’s it. Zombie Characters who are Important (like PCs) can regain Dead Points by eating more of their chosen sustenance than they need to. For every extra meal’s worth (as in, double what you’re supposed to eat) the zombie regains 4 Dead Points. If the zombie doesn’t need to eat (Who Needs Food?) but has a chosen thing they still draw power from, they regain 1 DP a minute as long as they’re exposed to it. If they’re not drawing power, they’re not healing.

Zombie characters are pretty loving powerful. This is because balance basically goes right out the window with how many points they get, some of the aspects they can choose (hello Regeneration!) and how the human ability limit goes bye-bye. Even with the core Aspects and rules and abilities I was able to make some pretty beefy, dangerous zombies. But now we get into the fun stuff that make player zombies hilariously powerful when taken.

A write-up of the sample zombie character that's actually made in the book to outline the process.

NEW ZOMBIE ASPECTS
  • Bloody Mass (4): the zombie is capable of just collapsing into a puddle of goo, flesh and bones on a whim. It moves at half speed and is completely immune to all damage outside of fire, acid or explosives. It can slip through cracks and even remains cohesive in water. Bloody Mass can be used as a reflexive defensive action but requires two turns to reform.
  • Bone Blade Kick (2): the bones of the foot are naturally fused into a sharp blade. When the zombie kicks, the flesh naturally retracts to expose the footblade before sliding back to cover it again. The kick now deals 1d6+(Strength+1) slashing damage.
  • Bullet Sponge (2): Regardless of weak spot or they’re hurt by bullets, if the zombie is shot the flesh actually traps the bullet inside and keeps it for later use. The zombie’s weird biology creates new casings and powder for the bullets and they can push the perfectly usable rounds back out through their hands to use for later. Or, if the zombie has a gun attached to them, they can just feed the new bullets right back into the gun.
  • Burrowing Finger (5): Using a regular melee attack (dealing 1d4xStrength damage), the zombie can jab a finger into an enemy…and then break it off inside of them. The finger still listens to the zombie and will burrow towards the heart or brain, moving 6 inches per round and dealing 1d6x2 damage per turn. When it reaches the target, the finger then deals 1d8x6 damage per round until the target dies. Absolutely lethal against a living target and very handy for going after the weaknesses of another zombie.
  • Buzzsaw Torso (+4): After a successful grab, the ribs and bones of the chest/sternum warp at will and rip right through the zombie’s chest, spinning in a circle and using the ribs as teeth as the spine spins the sternum like a saw blade. The attack deals 1d12x4 slashing damage per turn and will seal back up when the zombie wants it to.
  • Chi Suck (4): A successful grapple or bite allows the zombie to drain Essence from the victim and take it for themselves. This sucks 1d10x3 Essence per turn and the zombie can hold onto/spend this extra Essence for the next 24 hours or until they reach their resting level of Essence, whichever happens first.
  • Crimson Spray (1): The zombie can, at will, spray gouts of blood up to three yards away and try to get it into an enemy’s eyes with a Dexterity test. If it hits, the blinded target has -3 to melee and -6 to ranged attacks. The big advantage is that this ability can be used in conjunction with another action without multiple action penalties. Sh-sh-shah, blood burst and a sucker punch!
  • Decaying Bite (3): One of my favorite aspects due to how absolutely rude and nasty it is. The zombie has some kind of parasite or escharotic agent in its body that is harmful to living flesh (but not its own). A successful 4 damage bite turns the wound into a festering nest. The consumption spreads at a rate of 1 inch a minute and caused 1 point of damage a minute. Unless the victim gets the infected flesh cut out, cauterizes it or burns it with acid, they’ll die slowly of a thousand cuts. However, the treatment is often dangerous and will result in damage as well.
  • Entrail Whip (2): The zombie can reach into its belly and casually rip out its small intestine to use it as a whip. The intestine is naturally shriveled and treated to be used in this way thanks to weird biology and deals no damage to remove. The whip can be used to grapple or deal 1d4x(Strength-1) damage. It’s mostly better to use it to grapple.
  • Fighting Flying Head (3): The zombie’s head can detach at will and hover in the air at a rate of 3xSpeed. As long as the head can see the body, the body fights with no penalties and the head can actually assist the body with bites and headbutts. It’s -5 to hit the head and unless the head is the weak spot, any damage short of total destruction is ignored. To cap things off, this ability has unlimited range and duration. See what I mean by weird and overpowered? I love it!
  • Fingerblades (1): Practically normal compared to these previous aspects, the zombie can extend the finger bones through the flesh to create 8 inch long claws that deal 1d4xStrength slashing damage.
  • Flesh Fist (4): With a successful punch, the flesh warps on the hand and automatically grabs the opponent if the zombie wants to. The zombie can then bust out whatever throws, locks or follow-ups they want to on the same turn with no action penalties.
  • Flesh Holster (1): The zombie has loose pockets of flesh that can be used to store weapons or other handy tools. They have innumerable pockets that can either hold something the size of a handgun or something long, thin and slim. The pockets only become visible when the zombie wants them to be, sealing the flesh perfectly and hiding the contents otherwise.
  • Grasping Feet (5): The bones of the feet are loose enough to let them be prehensile. A successful kick can automatically grapple a target if the zombie wishes, opening up for grapple follow-ups on the same turn with no penalty.
  • Hand-Gun (3/5): At its basic level, the zombie can force a stripped-down 9mm gun into the flesh of the hand, creating a big unwieldy mess of flesh and metal that can’t be used for anything but shooting. At its higher level, the gun melds more sophisticatedly with the hand, allowing it to be used and completely hiding the gun until the bullets start coming from the back of the zombie’s wrist. The Hand-Gun has eight shots and has to be reloaded by ripping back skin and taking a turn to reload or swallowing bullets and letting them naturally relocate in an hour. Alternately, take Bullet Sponge! Damage depends on the rounds loaded.
  • Horns, Tusks and Spikes (2): The zombie is capable of manipulating their bones to emerge from their body with the speed and force of a switchblade and retract them at will. The limit is one large protrusion or two small ones and either increase the damage multiplier by 1 or give 1d10 damage if the attack wouldn’t hurt the opponent.
  • In-Bodied Armor (6): For some reason the zombie has Kevlar or steel plates sewn into their flesh, generally around torso and legs. The armor can’t be removed but it also can’t be seen easily; the zombie just looks a little bulky. The armor’s value is (1d8x3)+18.
  • Iron Shirt Body (3): Like the above but with Chi energy infusing the flesh of the zombie to help protect it from harm. However, Chi is not as durable as metal or Kevlar, meaning that the armor is 1d8+8 instead.
  • Just A Flesh Wound (5): Regeneration is handy…but it doesn’t fix cosmetic decay and lost bits. JAFW is the answer to that. It only restores 2 DP a day but it lets the cosmetic blemishes and missing parts grow back, restoring the zombie to a more natural look. Check the table at the end of this for suggested durations.
  • Mind Eating (3/level): A successful bite to the head means the zombie can attempt to suck the memories from the victim’s skull. For every success level over the victim’s resistance, the zombie can either get 1 level in a skill or one key fact from the victim’s brain. Eat the entire brain and you get 10 facts or skills. These gains last for days equal to the skill’s level or can be made permanent gains for 2 points per level.
  • Melding (3): A truly grody ability that can be done when the zombie successfully grapples an opponent. The flesh of the zombie flows and becomes malleable and actually starts to stick and fuse to the victim’s skin (even slipping through fabric to make contact), trapping them in a grotesque hug and making both parties fall over. The zombie can then attack the trapped victim with a +4 bonus to hit. The victim is either freed if the zombie undoes the meld or can rip free with a Strength test, but if the test is successful both parties take 1d10x5 damage.
  • My Body is a Deadly Weapon (2): The zombie is able to detach one of their limbs and wield it as a weapon. A detached arm deals 1d8xStrength damage and acts like a club. A detached leg counts as a big club, deals 1d10xStrength damage and can be used two-handed, but you have to move at half speed.
  • Prehensile Hair (3): With hair as strong as garrote wire, the zombie can use it as a third limb and hide a weapon in it to attack people. Hair can use melee weapons or throw them but has -2 Strength compared to the zombie’s core Strength (down to Strength 1). More importantly, the hair gives the zombie an extra attack action per turn.
  • Ribs of Doom (3): The ribs of the zombie emerge and bite into the flesh of the victim, acting on a successful grapple and dealing 1d4xStrength damage. The zombie is then free to use their hands as they see fit and the ribs will continue to deal 1d4x(Strength-1) damage per turn. It’s great for making human shields if you need both hands for your guns.
  • Shifting Bones (3/5): The zombie is able to shift their skeleton around beneath their skin to act as extra armor on a Willpower test, creating reactive spikes in addition to providing armor. An unarmed attack against the zombie deals no damage and inflicts 1d4+attacker’s Strength damage back at the attacker. A melee weapon provides (1d8x2)+8 armor. The higher level of this power allows protection against bullets.
  • Shot-Arms (4): An upgraded version of Hand-Gun, Shot-Arms involves forcing a stripped-down shotgun into the zombie’s arm. The gun is completely hidden and the arm remains completely functional, but the shotgun can only fire one round before needing to be reloaded (also it comes out of the palm and might deal 1 damage depending on weak points). Reloading takes two rounds or one hour if they eat the shells. Or, y’know, take Bullet Sponge. Damage depends on the rounds loaded.
  • Shuriken Nails (1): The zombie’s fingernails and toenails are detachable and razor-sharp, giving them 20 projectiles that deal 1d4xStrength slashing damage against enemies. If recovered, they just click back into place. If lost and the zombie can regenerate, they grow back over 48 hours.
  • Snake’s Spine Lung (2/4): The zombie’s spine extends and the head rockets forward up to four yards away to attack with bites or headbutts before retracting. Just flick the switch on the action figure’s back to see a demo! At higher levels, the spine is strong enough to swing the zombie’s head like a flail, dealing 1d10xStrength damage. Because of how rapid and weird this attack is, the opponent gets -4 to defend against the first attack and -2 against the second, especially if they think they’re out of range. Using this ability counts as an attack.
  • Spying Eyes (2): The zombie can remove an eye and let it fly away into the air up to Willpowerx10 yards away at the zombie’s normal speed. The zombie is capable of seeing (and, somehow, hearing) through that eye as long as they focus on it, but they can’t use both eyes at the same time. Better for PC use than enemy use.
  • Strength in Numbers (6): Taking a little bit of a cue from toku/sentai, up to five zombies that have SIN can combine their bodies into one mega beast. This takes one minute per zombie. The first zombie forms the basis of the stats and each additional zombie integrated can add +1 to each of base zombie’s physical stats. Alternately, the conglomeration can choose to forgo one of the stat bonuses and instead make the monster manifest another pair of legs or arms. Each extra set of arms gives the zombie one additional attack and defense per turn without penalty, each extra pair of legs gives two extra kick attacks per turn but slows the zombie’s move speed by 2 points. So a full five zombie conglomeration could have +5 Strength, +5 Dexterity and +5 Constitution, or could have +5 Strength, +5 Dexterity and five extra arms, or etc.
  • Sword-Arm (2/4): The bladed equivalent of putting a gun in your arm or knives in your feet, the Sword-Arm comes in two forms. The basic form is that the flesh is stripped away from one arm and the bones have fused into a natural blade. The enhanced form means that the flesh remains and retracts when the zombie wants to be seen. Either way, the blade deals 1d8xStrength damage.
  • Theft of the Body (5): The zombie is able to repurpose body parts it takes from the living (specifically severed limbs) and attaching it wherever they want. Extra arms offer one free attack or defense if they’re positioned where they can reach the opponent and extra legs offer an extra kick but with -1 to Speed. Limbs stolen in this fashion function perfectly well wherever they’ve been attached, but the bond only lasts for one hour before the additional limb drops off.
  • Trapping Flesh (3): Trapping Flesh means that zombie is really just half gelatinous and held together with force of will (making it the most logical extension to all of the grappling abilities that have come before it). Any close combat attacks against the zombie will still do damage but then immediately get stuck in the zombie’s body, requiring the hand, fist or weapon be pulled loose in a contest of Strength vs. zombie Constitution. The zombie, of course, can let the trapped object go free at any time but why would it? It’s still able to act normally and do whatever and now the food is stuck to it.
  • Turret Torso (1): Something has made the zombie’s spine all limber and loose, letting it turn a full 360 degrees with no problem. This is a major blessing for a zombie with a gun because what it means is that it can run and gun at the same time with no penalty, or it can stand still and gain +2 to shooting because hand, eye and gun can follow its target without having to adjust its positioning and stance. Hell, the zombie can run forwards and turn its chest 180 degrees to shoot backwards with no penalty.
  • Undead Flexibility (3): The zombie’s joints get nice and loose as well, giving all of its joints and connection points the ability to rotate 360 degrees with no problems. The zombie gets +1 Dexterity thanks to this along with gaining +3 to resisting locks, grabs, throws and doing Escape Artist things. The zombie can also squirm through any opening big enough to fit their body mass through (as long as it remains intact), like a bathroom window, storm drain or doggy door.
  • Venous Defense (2): When you don’t need blood, this opens your veins up to do weird and wacky things to pass the time. The veins poke out of the body like three inches of sharp, bristly fur, giving the zombie 1d6+1 body armor. The veins also come into play when the zombie grapples, automatically dealing 1d6x2 slashing damage.
  • Wall Crawling (2): Kind of tame at this point, but the zombie’s got a mixture of flexibility and sticky fingers that let it climb or move across any surface with no issues.
  • Whirling Cyclone Kick (3): The WCK is the kung-fu use of having a 360 Crazy Spine, making the lower body spin like a top as the upper torso remains stationary and still. The zombie builds speed and will continue to balance on one foot and move normally, one leg kicking around in a constant circle until the zombie wants it to stop or the leg hits something. The kick deals 1d10xStrength damage, but the WCK needs to spin for one round in order to have sufficient momentum to do damage.

And now, for good measure, here are some weapon stats.

THOUGHTS

Well that was kind of a long update. I feel like it had to be a little thick because of how I was kind of slacking on getting this done and how I felt like I needed to basically put two updates together. Anyway, thoughts. I like the Martial Artist and Shooter, though I do feel like the Shooter is much stronger as a fighter due to Dexterity ruling. I think the thing I really like about them is the fact that the game is never truly...restrictive with busting out Chi abilities. Your powers aren't really designed for long-term use but that's okay, they're designed to be used spur of the moment to give yourself an edge and your Essence regenerates fast enough to mean you have a relatively consistent pool to draw from. You're never going to be shrugging your shoulders and hanging out in the back because you already used up three of your daily allotted Flying Kicks. I also like how the martial arts system feels firm without being crunchy or overbearing, how you can build well around a set of core moves.

Also good god those new Aspects for zombies, plus the ability to play as zombies. I love how a lot of them are very obviously brainstormed just for player use or for a particularly inventive GM to throw curveballs at the players. While I feel like it leans a little too hard on the side of Weird poo poo or just benefits for player characters, I do appreciate the general breadth of abilities. I mean, you can literally replicate the T-1000 as a zombie with only a few of those abilities. It's pretty great!

Long story short, a lot of this inventiveness and comprehensive yet approachable design is part of why I really dig All Flesh Must Be Eaten and why Enter the Zombie really sings and excels as the first expansion book. I mean, thematically, it doesn't really follow, does it. You would have expected Dungeons and Zombies or Fistful O' Zombies to be the first book. But, well, AFMBE kinda does whatever the hell it wants and it really knocks it out of the park sometimes (and admittedly sometimes it doesn't).

So we've gotten all the mechanics and new fun toys to play with. Now what? Deadworlds! Because literally more than half of the book is made of four new Deadworlds, they have more of a cohesive campaign idea than the ones in the core book and as such they have more meat and characters to them. NEXT TIME we'll be diving face-first over a table in a restaurant full of backlit fish tanks and thugs in cheap suits with the first Deadworld, HARD BOILED CORPSES.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 28, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, that's down to the awful writing of Slayers TRY, which uses gold dragons solely for the purpose of having characters can show off how strong they are by murdering them.

Look, Slayers TRY get a lot of love from me for Jyllas, the useless villain sidekick who completely outsmarts the heroes and wins (for one episode).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On the bright side, dragons can shoot lasers from their mouths.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pfft, how long has Godzilla been doing that already?:colbert:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Night10194 posted:

Because I spent yesterday watching short films based on HP Lovecraft stories so I read that and my mind sees 'Deep One' or 'Dagon' or that Leviathan fansplat?

Also I played in an oMage game where my enemy was a squid wizard.

Does anyone remember Fish Police?

quote:

Buzzsaw Torso (+4): After a successful grab, the ribs and bones of the chest/sternum warp at will and rip right through the zombie’s chest, spinning in a circle and using the ribs as teeth as the spine spins the sternum like a saw blade. The attack deals 1d12x4 slashing damage per turn and will seal back up when the zombie wants it to.

Wow, when you said you could stat up Lord Raptor in this book, you weren't exaggerating! I had an honest to goodness grin on my face from reading that. Toss a bunch of those in a random zombie generator, build PCs based on classic Capcom characters, and you have the best Dead Rising game.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 28, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Legend of the Shambling Masters.

I've picked up most of the other AFMBE supplements, but for some reason always skipped this one over... and it looks like it had all of the poo poo I was missing for a long time in terms of adding more flavour to melee combat. :v:

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

The classes chapter starts out with an anecdote about the designers actually having a serious problem with naming classes that goes "Well, Gourry calls himself a warrior and this other guy calls himself a warrior, so let's call the class Warrior." "But there's an NPC class named Warrior." "gently caress!"

They were that drat slavish to the source material.

This reminds me of an Order of the Stick page where they keep pestering a Not-Japanese about what exact Samurai-themed (prestige) class she has, even though she was just a Paladin with the title of Samurai.

Hostile V posted:

ALL FLESH MUST BE EATEN

ENTER THE ZOMBIE

This is amazing. I love how you can make some kind of Resident Evil version of Alucard.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

This is absolutely amazing and it's hilarious to see the other side of the "weird foreign RPG" thing. The fact it covers a lot of relatively obscure weird stuff is even better, but I guess that makes sense in its own way too, since the mainstream stuff is a lot more predictable. There hasn't exactly been a big push to translate Sword World or something after all (unless I missed that...)

And yeah. I'm not sure a full translation would be a productive use of time, but a chapter-by-chapter quick summary in F&F would be super great and I'd totally chip in a bit for the effort if need be.

Re: Sword World translation, basically that game had the problem of anime licensing in that the creators felt their product was worth WAY more than it would actually make if anyone bothered trying to translate and sell it here. It's mostly only interesting in being western fantasy through a Japanese sort of lens, and some of the other more quirky/cute games already give us that. Ryuutama, what we've been able to see of Meikyuu Kingdom, etc.