Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Eventually there will be a system that requires you to install a custom dice roll app as it uses multiple d1000s for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm trying to think of other "universal" RPG systems that weren't built on the bones of a pre-existing system (like Hero being a more generalized version of Champions, or BRP being a generic version of the basic RuneQuest mechanics) and apart from GURPS, there really aren't that many that come to mind as being built from first principals to support multiple genres. Big Eyes Small Mouth and (arguably) Torg are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

FMguru posted:

I'm trying to think of other "universal" RPG systems that weren't built on the bones of a pre-existing system (like Hero being a more generalized version of Champions, or BRP being a generic version of the basic RuneQuest mechanics) and apart from GURPS, there really aren't that many that come to mind as being built from first principals to support multiple genres. Big Eyes Small Mouth and (arguably) Torg are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Savage Worlds? Or did that start as a specific setting?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

It's built out of the corpse of Deadlands.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

Sort of? Deadlands came out first and uses the same basic concepts (dice as stats, wound levels, bennies, things like that), but SW is a refined version of the original Deadlands system.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

It's built out of the corpse of Deadlands.

Specifically, the Savage Worlds mechanics are based on the the rules for the short-lived Deadlands Skirmish minis game, the Great Rail Wars, which had a lot of the changes from base deadlands already built in (No multi-dice attributes, just single die types, etc.)

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I thought SW grew out of a deadlands miniatures combat game

e;fb

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sort of? Deadlands came out first and uses the same basic concepts (dice as stats, wound levels, bennies, things like that), but SW is a refined version of the original Deadlands system.

By way of the Great Rail Wars miniatures game, which is why all measurements and templates are in inches.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

So, a gun that's a furry, then.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
CORPS/EABA is another candidate for generic RPG system.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you. That helps salve the pain.

And now, having exhausted all opportunities for adventure on this floor, we descend into a lower level of

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 8: The Deck of Invisible Stalkers, Immigration Officials, Lizardmen, Lurkers, and Lycanthropes

55: Airy Guardian

So, there's this invisible stalker guarding a passage in a tunnel of some kind. Its orders are to attack anyone who doesn't say the password as they go by, but in a "gently caress you" to its summoner, it has faintly carved the password onto the wall, and tries to draw people's attention to it with ripples of air. It is still "generally annoying" even if you do say the password, tousling hair and clothes and so on. Signs of affection?

This is decent fodder for crazy PC plans and running retreats in the dungeon. I'll keep it.

56: Sign-In

At the gates of a large city. The guards force visitors to sign in as they enter, and list where they’re going to stay in the city. When the PCs do, they may (WIS+3 check) notice “the name of one of their old enemies entered just a few names before theirs.”

It goes on for another long paragraph, but that’s really it. But that’s a fine hook. Keep.

P.S.: “This is an encounter that the DM must adjudicate carefully; the encounter will not work if the PCs have never met an enemy they have not killed.” :black101:

57: Scout's Honor

In a swampy zone, the PCs are being trailed by two lizardman scouts. When the PCs fall when traversing a “narrow, submerged, natural causeway that occasionally gives way,” the lizardfolk take the opportunity to strike. They throw javelins, then submerge themselves until their next attack.

I guess if the PCs are moving through a swamp, this is kind of thing I’d expect to happen. But I really can’t stand forced combat, and the water submerging thing sounds really annoying without some kind of firm mechanical effect. In 4th Edition, keep; here, I suppose I’ll pass.

58: Lurker Above

The PCs are hired in a large city to go to an ex-large city - a place that was razed by a dragon and is now very well-looted ruins. A noble wants them to retrieve a ring that will prove his status and secure some land rights for him somehow. He knows exactly where it should be, since he had a wizard scry for it. It’s in a pile of lurker droppings. The wizard wants the lurker’s gas sacs for a potion of levitation while they’re at it. There’s a good 900 gp worth of other treasure in the lurker’s lair as well.

The deck calls this a “Dungeon” encounter, but really it’s a quest. A Deck of Random Quests would be a different product. If I draw a random encounter in a dungeon, I need to be able to use it in that dungeon. Pass.

59: Disciple

Takes place in a city. “There are three parts to this encounter.” First, a wererat named Wylkin follows the party in rat form and chooses the most rat-like among them (broadly speaking, the smallest). That’s hardly part of an encounter, because the PCs aren’t given the chance to notice him at this point.

Second, Wylkin stalks the PCs for three days, with the PC having a 25% chance of noticing but needing a WIS-6 check to “determine the source.” Uh, okay? Anyway, Wlykin flees if detected.

Finally, Wylkin sneaks into their room at night and tries to gnaw on them to transform them into a wererat. The odds are really not that high, but if he succeeds, he’ll approach them friendly-like and try to mentor them.

Some of the details are awkwardly-written, but sure, keep. I wouldnt be surprised, however, that the PCs fight and capture Wylkin, hear him out, and decide "so I have full control over my transformations, and get a form that's immune to normal weapons? Heck yeah, I'll be a wererat. Gnaw me some more!"

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 25, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

unseenlibrarian posted:

They recently an announced an Android: Netrunner sourcebook is in the works, which is apparently a big deal, given they managed to sell a ton of copies of a systemless setting book for it.

Netrunner is huge, it's the second coming of Magic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’d actually argue that the encounter is more interesting if the list includes an enemy that they thought was dead.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

unseenlibrarian posted:

They recently an announced an Android: Netrunner sourcebook is in the works, which is apparently a big deal, given they managed to sell a ton of copies of a systemless setting book for it.

As a formerly very serious Netrunner player that has been desperate for a cyberpunk system that's heavier than The Sprawl (which is really, really good) but less fantasy than Shadowrun, I'm really hype for this announcement. This was very much the thing that was going to get me into Genesys.

wiegieman posted:

Er... if they go another five years without utterly breaking the meta for a year at a time we'll talk.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

wiegieman posted:

It's such a weird circular path with this.

• Mike Pondsmith, hands down the coolest human being who ever worked in tabletop, writes Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020.
  • Looking for their next hit, Wizards of the Coast buys the license and has Richard Garfield - yes, that Richard Garfield - design the Netrunner CCG.
  • The Netrunner CCG is a critical success but sales never really take off, WotC eventually shelves the product line.
  • Fantasy Flight Games picks up the Netrunner game and mechanics - minus the setting, which has reverted to Pondsmith - from WotC. They marry it to the Android setting from their popular board game of the same name and make the first true LCG.
  • The Android: Netrunner LCG is a critical AND commercial success, and helps FFG land bigger licenses for their RPG lines, including Star Wars and L5R (which will also become an LCG).
  • FFG decides to sell a version of the base system it uses for Star Wars and L5R, it does very well.
  • Fantasy Flight Games announces it will publish an Android TTRPG to synthesize the success of its card game and generic RPG line.

So Netrunner was the second coming of Magic back in 1996 except it didn't quite pan out then despite everyone raving about how good a game it was. Then it actually became the second coming of Magic sixteen years later with a different company.

And it was inspired by and has inspired two totally separate TTRPGs.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

Netrunner's setting is... nice? The little snippets of lore they show in card text are promising, but I'm not gonna fall over myself to buy an RPG based off of it until I see what they actually put out. Not using it for Lot5R is a really bad idea, IMO. They would've sold massively based on that one setting alone, then secured a bigger user base to sell Netrunner and other properties to.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Valatar posted:

Netrunner's setting is... nice? The little snippets of lore they show in card text are promising, but I'm not gonna fall over myself to buy an RPG based off of it until I see what they actually put out. Not using it for Lot5R is a really bad idea, IMO. They would've sold massively based on that one setting alone, then secured a bigger user base to sell Netrunner and other properties to.

I don't think using a system that's not explicitly based around Rings is something you could get away with for an L5R game. The base just wouldn't go for it.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
The thing is, there'll be riots from the old fanbase if there isn't any Roll & Keep and/or Rings in a L5R RPG, so FFG tried to stick the two (R&K and Genesys) together and it doesn't really work (at least my opinion).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DigitalRaven posted:

Not power from praise, but the souls of the dead - when humans die, their overall moral weighting (:can:) pushes their soul towards "Heaven" or "Hell". Whichever side gets your soul, it's broken downed used as ammunition for extraordinary weapons in an endless war.

Nessus posted:

Extraordinary weapons? Piffle. No sir, if we're going to make this metaphor work, it needs to be cheap, low-grade ammunition, ideally with some overtones of being banned by Space Geneva Convention, just so we feel extra bad about ourselves.
Did Ellis develop the concept further beyond, IIRC, one issue of Stormwatch and one issue of Planetary? Because my understanding was that the "heaven and hell" were just two electromagnetic poles pulling against each other that eat human intrinsic fields ("souls") like giant bug zappers. Nothing about weapons or war or anything.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

FMguru posted:

Um, what about FUDGE -> FATE? Definitely generic and designed from first principles to be modified as needed.

Risus: the anything rpg
also springs to mind.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Um, what about FUDGE -> FATE? Definitely generic and designed from first principles to be modified as needed.

also springs to mind.
Oooh good choices. FUDGE definitely started out as Steffan O'Sullivan's effort to build a generic rule set, and FATE took a lot from FUDGE (but added a lot of its own). Risus, too, was designed from the get-go as a generic RPG.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

• Mike Pondsmith, hands down the coolest human being who ever worked in tabletop, writes Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020.
  • Looking for their next hit, Wizards of the Coast buys the license and has Richard Garfield - yes, that Richard Garfield - design the Netrunner CCG.
  • The Netrunner CCG is a critical success but sales never really take off, WotC eventually shelves the product line.
  • Fantasy Flight Games picks up the Netrunner game and mechanics - minus the setting, which has reverted to Pondsmith - from WotC. They marry it to the Android setting from their popular board game of the same name and make the first true LCG.
  • The Android: Netrunner LCG is a critical AND commercial success, and helps FFG land bigger licenses for their RPG lines, including Star Wars and L5R (which will also become an LCG).
  • FFG decides to sell a version of the base system it uses for Star Wars and L5R, it does very well.
  • Fantasy Flight Games announces it will publish an Android TTRPG to synthesize the success of its card game and generic RPG line.

So Netrunner was the second coming of Magic back in 1996 except it didn't quite pan out then despite everyone raving about how good a game it was. Then it actually became the second coming of Magic sixteen years later with a different company.

Richard Garfield fixed a lot of the problems of Magic in his next games, but unfortunately none of them caught on like Magic did.

God I miss V:tES.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Fantasy Flight Games announces it will publish an Android TTRPG to synthesize the success of its card game and generic RPG line.

This was my first thought when they announced Genesys. I wouldn't be surprised either if they put out a skirmish game set in the world of Netrunner.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 25, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Starfinger will probably be running a little late and might get pushed back a day, but only an update or two more to go.

In the meantime, may I recommend Bone Chat With Big Kev And Erick, in which Big Kev discusses the page in which Ninjas & Superspies' details the effect of bullets on bones, no doubt the most important section of any RPG. Don't they all discuss that? No? Just Ninjas & Superspies? Well, guess what all other RPGs missed out on!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 26, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

also springs to mind.

I was under the impression that FUDGE/FATE sprang out of Amber Diceless, but looking closer at the appropriate site (Incidentally, the chronicle of quotes and poo poo from his second game makes for good reading) reveals that FATE was initially a FUDGE tweak to get some dice into ADRPG. So I was half right, but I don't know jack about FUDGE.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Zebulon? Like, that Zebulon's Guide supplement changes the whole game significantly?

It changes the system to use a quick results table.
Simplifies to hit and damage
Revamps the entire skill system
Fixes most of the robot rules.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I have to also add, Pondsmith was talking about a a Netrunner card game in 1990 when I saw him at Gencon. The demo sets he had were very similar to the first release just not a CCG.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 26, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have to also add, Pondsmith was talking about a a Netrunner card game in 1990 when I saw him at Gencon. The demo sets he had were very similar to the first release just not a CCG.

Wizards was making a habit of buying up the CCG rights to other game products at the time to basically undermine the competition, so the idea of taking that one down in the crib is actually feasible. The fact that they eventually had the rights to CCGs for Battletech, Cyberpunk, Deadlands, Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars, Vampire, and Werewolf is no coincidence. There are rumors they had the rights to other games they just never did the CCGs for as well, just to make sure they weren't in the running.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
And Pokemon.

Some of those games were actually pretty good too. The Battletech CCG was kind of interesting, for example, though that's a game that would have worked far better as an LCG.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

And Pokemon.

Some of those games were actually pretty good too. The Battletech CCG was kind of interesting, for example, though that's a game that would have worked far better as an LCG.

I loved the Battletech game back in the day, but as a cash strapped teenager trying to get any sort of coherent deck together was a nightmare. Man, that would be great as an LCG.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw the original Netrunner game over two years before MTG was released so either that was super crib death, or Garfield saw it and went hmmmmm?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd imagine it was something akin to Steve Jackson's Hacker card game. It would also explain why the Rache Bartmoss book with the Netrunner CCG integration rules came out: it was always supposed to be an alternative to the netrunner rules in the TRPG.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Dareon posted:

I was under the impression that FUDGE/FATE sprang out of Amber Diceless, but looking closer at the appropriate site (Incidentally, the chronicle of quotes and poo poo from his second game makes for good reading) reveals that FATE was initially a FUDGE tweak to get some dice into ADRPG. So I was half right, but I don't know jack about FUDGE.

FUDGE is old for a rules-light system. Wikipedia says that it was developed from '92-'95 by Steffan O'Sullivan on the rec.games.design newsgroup. I have the 'tenth anniversary edition' that was put out by Grey Ghost somewhere.

It's deal is that you (the GM) picked whatever attributes and skills you wanted to have in your game so it was modular and customizable. You rolled with the FUDGE dice that have the plus/minus/blank to figure out your margin of success/failure.

FATE took the fudge dice, skills, and modularity from FUDGE and added in aspects and stunts.

I've always had a soft spot for FUDGE, but it's descendant FATE is more widely played nowadays.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

God I miss V:tES.Jyhad

Fixed.

I was also a fan of Rage, back in the day. Shame that one didn't really take off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Exodus the Interactive Story Arc of the Third and Last Dance is a roleplaying game from Synister Creative Systems published in 2001 and designed Sean and Joshua Jaffe. It’s a metaplot heavy, playing card deck using, religious themed urban grunge game. Unless I am otherwise notified it appears to be completely out of print with no digital versions available. Should this be incorrect I will update to include where it can be bought to give the original developers income.

Part 7: What Does God Need with a Compiler?

Let us know venture into the realms of Eden controlled by Ahura Mazda, otherwise known as the promised lands. Here, we’re hit directly with the authors’ complete inability to understand theme naming; while the Realms of Hell are all named after different cultural words for a Hell or a near equivalent, Edenic realms are a mishmash, mostly named after kingdoms in fantasy stories but not even necessarily particularly utopic ones. And when I say mishmash, one of them was a continent formation that shouldn’t exist in this game’s timeline and one of them is just straight up a city you can visit right now on Earth and 500,000+ people call home.

Scientific proof some people’s souls have no taste in facial hair
Art by: Clayton Graham

Realms of Eden
  • Arcadia - Covers the entirety of Europe to Siberia, except the UK because apparently even in Eden there has been a poorly thought out Brexit. The layout of the realm is basically any medieval European fairy tale of hamlets and somehow dark forests full of adventures and secrets. This realm existed for 195 million years before evil existed and nobody investigated the place? This is what you get for having a realm of heaven follow monarchs who are fae folk
  • Asgard - Covers “Scandanavian Countries to Germany” with no explanation for if that’s as the crow flies or around the baltic or an apology for retconning the geography of Arcadia. It is otherwise an unremarkable land consisting entirely of Viking culture stereotypes, down to having so much fighting some “darker souls” can be overlooked among their number and Odin is their leader. This makes the second realm ruled by Ahura Mazda where evil is just allowed to exist for no real reason
  • The Commonwealth of Atlantis - This covers the majority of the Northeastern United States and contains the capital of Eden where a great host of souls from all over Eden come to make decisions as a group. Remember, though, there’s no way to directly traverse from one realm of Eden to the other without jumping into a raging spirit storm, traveling the Earth, and then killing yourself in the right spot so coordinating travel for these meetings must be hard. For a fun pre-9/11 bit there is a great ruined tower of Babel here bombed out by GODHEAD, but there are two new towers guarded by Ahura Mazda called the World Financial Plaza.
  • Avalon - This is the smallest realm in the game, as it only covers the British Isles, and consists of a single, 10 mile square castle. Are there doors in its North Ireland portion that open to nothing, dropping you straight into Limbo? We’ll never know because this section is tiny and mostly concerned with telling you that this is like the exact same realm as Avalon, except here there ruler King Arthur, who is apparently a real person, is missing
  • Bharat- This is India. It is the oldest part of Eden so why Ahura Mazda moved to Atlantis is unclear. The people here are described as deeply spiritual pacifists following countless traditions who make great cloth, so obviously a lot of effort went into this section.
  • El Dorado - Mexico and Central America, this realm is nothing but ruins in jungles and a massive casino known as El Dorado. Their ruling government is made up of “Dons” and is called the Junta. I don’t like this road you’re going down, TLE.
  • Guinee - The parts of Louisiana that Britney Spears isn’t from and some Caribbean Islands. Somehow in a world where God directly creates all matter and also explicitly isn’t George W. Bush, their capital city sank underneath a lake and Ahura Mazda shrugged it’s shoulders and told the inhabitants to work it out. Further, this actually might be a Hell (not Earth, the other kind of hell) and to further cement this fact the leaders of this place have known connections to the Hells. Despite this fact Ahura Mazda’s followers don’t investigate it and there is somehow a tourist economy, so I’m beginning to suspect Ahura Mazda is easy to bribe
  • Midian - Israel, Palestine, and parts of Egypt. Was a Hell during the Crusades but now has been brought back into the neutral column. They used to be ruled by a group called “The True Sanhedrin” but aren’t anymore probably because that's really confusing to have two completely different groups that aren’t actually Sanhedrins in your game
  • Oz - The game uses 40 words to define the borders of this region instead of just saying “The U.S. Midwest”. This whole region is just Frank Baum’s Oz with some geographic changes so TLE can claim that Frank Baum got inspiration for his book from this section of Eden through a process not discussed and that would probably undermine even more gameplay mechanics. They are ruled by a W.I.Z.A.R.D. and this time, unfortunately, the acronym stands for something; World Israel Zion Associated Research Directory. Yes, the secret Jew conspiracy is alive and well in a little old land called Oz
  • Pangea - You know, I was glossing over your weird undercurrent of uninformed stereotype racism and Jewish global conspiracies but are you kidding me at this point, TLE? I can’t believe they published this realm that is the entirety of South America and Africa. It’s capital city is listed as “none”. Its culture is listed as “eat or be eaten”. It is paternally protected by souls from other Edens to keep it from ever progressing so that it can remain “wild and free” forever. It’s predominant religion are people in the jungle in “crackpot tribal sects”. In summary: gently caress You, TLE
  • Samarkand - Remember how Xibalba the hell didn’t include Mexico City? This realm doesn’t include Samarkand, a real, actual city that half a million currently living human beings call home. Instead, this area is the middle east not covered by Midian, but the countries listed don’t include Iran or anything west of Iran, so they actually not only failed to include the actual city in this realm but also all of the cultures directly associated with it historically. Congrats, TLE, on being that terrible at geography. The rest of the description of this region is basically a highlight reel of Edward Said’s nightmares and the inhabitants are destroying their region by mining the lucrative resources that pour out of the ground.
  • Xanadu - You know what, I’m still really mad at you TLE about your weird racism. I don’t care that this area covers the entire Pacific Rim, you literally just made your Africa analog a backwards place of no importance where the only economy is big game hunting. Who gives a poo poo that this place’s primary export is technology, or is ruled by Kubla Khan or whatever you want me to think about.

I’m so glad CGI art has improved tremendously since 2001. Seriously, guess what this is supposed to be
    Art by: Brian Bradley

I want to take a break now, not just because I’m mad at the simmering undercurrent present in TLE, but because now we come to the part where the game falls apart. In about ten paragraphs the game invalidates the other 195 pages of writing, see below for the final sub-realm of the game:

• Omikoshi - Technically this is part of Xanadu but it’s broken out in TLE as a psuedo-realm all by itself for good reason. Remember how we recently found out any soul can freely travel from Eden to Earth and that kind of sorta undermines the game’s core conceit? What if we just went whole hog and wrote something that didn’t undermine our setting so much as undo it? The rest of this update is how much I hate Omikoshi.

The Omikoshi is a virtual representation of Eden written in the quaternary language Shingon* to communicate with the the scripting language which Ahura Mazda and Eden are made and defined by. By editing the Omikoshi you can make any change in Eden that you want at any time, with the sole exception of changing or deleting another soul. Souls can travel to the Omikoshi and treat it like an MMO so there is a completely parallel, equally real Eden that you can live in if you want that can also edit and modify the actual Eden.

Not only can you make edits at any time, you can make anything you want in the simulation and from there export it back to Eden. To repeat, the only thing Omikoshi can’t do is edit souls, but it can make literally everything all of the economies of Eden operate on, more land, change the properties of all matter, and anything else you want. The game doesn’t even make a mention that you can’t edit Ahura Mazda, in fact instead explicitly pointing out he’s written in the same code language Omikoshi runs on.

If the ability to kill Ahura Mazda with a quick registry edit wasn’t powerful enough, you can use the Omikoshi to instantly travel from Eden to any device on Earth that has internet access. The game then starts a paragraph telling us that non-messiah souls can’t make it to Earth this way without dying, but later ignores that and says all souls can hang out in cyberspace on Earth and control most data hardware and can be copied out of the devices by anyone on the other end with the requisite skill so I think player characters are actually worse at traveling between the two worlds than the average soul with a decent internet connection.

By the way, we’re not done yet with how broken Omikoshi is. See, it turns out that Earth runs on the same code base, it just has encrypting or hashing or something that prevents easy editing. Immediately after introducing this limitation, the game states that Omikoshi still works well enough to edit pretty much anything on Earth temporarily before GODHEAD restores the area to last known working version after about a week or two and that the researchers who work on the Omikoshi have made solid progress into GODHEAD’s code changes and will soon be able to change Earth at will just like they do Eden.

All in favor of ignoring the Omikoshi?
    Art by: Clayton Graham

What is even the point of the entire game if the Omikoshi exists? With it, in Eden alone, you can do the following things
  • Toggle off Ahura Mazda
  • Delete all Hells, instantly dumping the entire army of GODHEAD back into Earth
  • Disable all incoming souls on whatever ports you no longer want available
  • Route all soul traffic as you see fit
  • Build anything you want from literally nothing
  • Travel back and forth from Earth freely and instantly
  • Build infinite Omikoshis to crack Earth’s encryption scheme, then delete GODHEAD

In my time I’ve seen dumb settings, and I’ve seen dumb things that undermine settings. We are all aware that Heartstaker games tend to have problems where hiding in the shadows is sometimes nonsensically enforced, splats can’t do the thing they’re designed for, inter-party mind control crops up, and sometimes the best arrow for your bow is a Jumbo-jet airliner. This is just a whole new level where there is no point in attempting to interface with any of the games systems because they’re meaningless in setting, and it is not possible to construct a problem within the games established framework that can/should not be resolved with the Omikoshi.

For the rest of this review I’m going to actively ignore anything to do with the Omikoshi, because otherwise the review would just stop here. It helps a little, though, that the writers of this game are terrible because very little in the game directly references Omikoshi moving forward, and almost none of it has specified rules.

In closing: TLETISAOTTALD Omikoshi

Next Time: Stop Making Your Character and Sit Through Bible School

*The authors’ know possibly less than nothing about programming

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

David Cage's Omikoshi: Ahura Mazda's Soul.

This sucks, yo. This sucks a whole lot of fucks.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How can this game get progressively worse with every update?!
This makes my childhood collection of hastily written notes and abandoned campaign writeups look like the most complete system devised by man.
Also gently caress the casually inserted racism.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
As poo poo as The Last Exodus is, the idea of running your own pirated copy of reality to try and crack the encryption on the real thing so you can fight God on your own terms is kind of cool. It feels a bit Shin Megami Tensei.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Valatar posted:

Fixed.

I was also a fan of Rage, back in the day. Shame that one didn't really take off.

Sorry, but I came in with the V:tES Camarilla edition (and stayed in till the end) so it's V:tES to me.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

PurpleXVI posted:

As poo poo as The Last Exodus is, the idea of running your own pirated copy of reality to try and crack the encryption on the real thing so you can fight God on your own terms is kind of cool. It feels a bit Shin Megami Tensei.

it seems like it would function best if Omikoshi was the default campaign setting and the explicit purpose of the game was to use it to fix all of Ahura Mazda's and GODHEAD's gently caress-ups and actually create a reality worth living in.

or to do literally anything else but with Omikoshi being the central plot point for the setting. seriously, all of the other nonsense inconsistency could be easily explained by "someone either accidentally or maliciously edited Omikoshi and completely erased the registry entries
for South America and Africa, and you have the power to figure out who did it, why they did it, and to determine their punishment".

basically like any police procedural except you're nigh-omnipotent reality hackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait. They knew what the Sanhedrin were, they had to for Midian to make any sense at all, and still chose to use the word for their evil villain group with a literal Nazi in it.