Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Cherryh is very good at making aliens (or other nonhumans) that are actually alien, without being incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

Remember that the Ferengi were initially created as a new "always Chaotic Evil" Race since the Klingons were now something approaching "Good Guys". But the test audiences couldn't take them seriously because they looked ridiculous. Which is why they brought back the Romulans and created the Borg.

So "We keep our women as naked slaves" was just an easy tick in the 'evil' column for Roddenbury's good upstanding Federation to be mad about. I'm just glad DS9's writers were given a chance to do something with it.
The entire arc with the Ferengi in DS9 - leaving aside that one episode - is one of the more thoughtful and humanizing examinations of an alien species in the entire setting. They and the Cardassians and maybe Bajorans are definitely the best developed alien cultures in the setting by the end of DS9.

Kurieg posted:

Isn't it a plot point that the Kzinti leadership secretly evaluate every Kzin child. Any male that shows a hint of psionic potential gets sent off to get hooked on Spice, and any female more intelligent than a doormat gets killed to make sure that women stay dumb? And that in the "feral" Kzin tribes the females are just as smart as the men?

Cause that sure seems 80's sexism as hell.
The Man-Kzin Wars stories I read - mostly the first few collections, mostly on airplanes - outline as other people said. Kzin with the telepath potential tend to get drafted as telepaths, or did before the Kzin got their collective fat furry rear end beat down repeatedly by humans. The low intelligence of female Kzin is absolutely the result of systematic effort in the past and is arguably one of the sources for why they were such assholes; there is a certain air of genetic determinism here, but I'm going to give Niven some credit on this one that he is probably to some extent using "genetic tendencies" as a stalkinghorse for "cultural ideas." Even there, there are some Kzin females who are fully intelligent and keep it on the downlow, and one might reasonably suspect that they might be brighter than the literal Cat Patriarchy give them credit for.

The population on the Ringworld did not have any gender intelligence imbalance. I think they were still something Chmeee called a Patriarchy, but he could have been laying his own ideas on the people who he basically storms and conquers with his Reddy Spacekzin Patented Super Armor.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Cherryh is very good at making aliens (or other nonhumans) that are actually alien, without being incomprehensible.

Vernor Vinge has good aliens too in both A Deepness in the Sky (spider folk), and a Fire Upon the Deep (pack hive-minds).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angrymog posted:

Vernor Vinge has good aliens too in both A Deepness in the Sky (spider folk), and a Fire Upon the Deep (pack hive-minds).
Oh yeah, Vinge too! (I will read Cherryh at this rate, wowsers.) Vinge is very good at that, even if he does the same trick with them twice when introducing his aliens.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Ferengi are a great fictional culture not only because they're Capitalism except done correctly, by assuming that there are no rational or benevolent actors, but also because they still have stupid cultural hangups for no reason but historical inertia which they later overcome by playing to their strengths.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Dark Matter: The Killing Jar

The Killing Jar is the one and only full module released for Dark*Matter. I also have actually GM’d this adventure. We’re going to start with the introduction for now, because while there's not much I can talk about without spoiling some of the crazy places this module goes I generally really like what's included in this part and want to have some good things to say about the whole thing.

We start with the standard guideline on appropriate parties. They suggest 3-6 characters of any level, though they also suggest you might want to add some extra enemies at times if the average party level is above 5. It then moves on to some super boring basic ‘hey here’s how you use a module’ which is kind of a nice inclusion honestly given the target audience of such things. The introduction then summarizes the plot, which I’m going to pointedly skip to preserve some fun surprises, so let’s move on to Getting the Heroes Involved.

So the hook suggested is that one of the PC’s car is stolen with something important in it, then turns up again in West Virginia. The idea is to generate a situation where the PCs feel the need to actually go pick it up in person. They do note that this option does really require them to be in the general vicinity, and suggests some options for this. It does also have an alternative if you’d prefer not to be so railroad-y, where the PCs receive an anonymous tip about an abandoned car that starts the adventure instead.

After giving the GM some text to use as part of the hook, it then moves on to the chain of events that leads to the PC’s car being stolen by, it turns out, someone connected with the adventure. I’m going to skip past this for now because again it spoils the plot.

The majority of the rest of the introduction is the Lexicon, which is actually super handy because it lays out mechanically how the PCs could research concepts and people that come up during the adventure and what information is available from such research. Honestly it’s actually kind of good of them to give the GM some information on ‘hey what happens if after they learn this person’s name they try to search online for something about them’.

There’s a sidebar on what to do if the PCs intentionally or accidentally get the authorities involved in the proceedings, and the introduction ends on a simply charming list of references. So I’ll mention this again but this module did in the way-back actually have web sites that were put up in support of it so that the players could actually do things like check a nefarious company’s web site or email a mysterious person’s address and get a reply. They’re not still up but it was kinda cool.

Next time we’ll start digging into the meat of this in Act One.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Angrymog posted:

The skrode-riders too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

There is definitely an unfortunate prevalence of alien races (and fantasy races) who are presented as some variation on Extreme Patriarchy, enough that when taken in aggregate, it does sorta feel like SFdom as a whole is trying to suggest something about the nature of gender relations. poo poo like the Ferengi, for instance--females are property and not even allowed to wear clothes? Yeah okay Star Trek writers, way to pander to the absolute worst elements of your fanbase. I don't care what they 'intended' to do with that, it comes off really badly.
The typical response is "well they're the bad guys", which for the Ferengi prompts the follow up question "why do they look and act like Jewish caricatures then?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention that Roddenberry was always an incorrigible hornball:

quote:

One influence on the Ferengi was what Herb Wright described as Gene Roddenberry's "sex fetish." In early first season discussions between them about developing the Ferengi, Roddenberry let Wright know it was his intention to make the species well-endowed. "He wanted to put a gigantic codpiece on the Ferengi," Wright stated. "He spent 25 minutes explaining to me all the sexual positions the Ferengi could go through. I finally said, 'Gene, this is a family show, on at 7:00 on Saturdays. He finally said, 'Okay, you're right.'"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bieeardo posted:

Not to mention that Roddenberry was always an incorrigible hornball:
Roddenberry was a less classy version of Hugh Hefner.

quote:

He would have women walking from Bill Theiss’s fitting rooms through to his office in the skimpiest outfits so he could perv them. He was really such a sexist. I remember him telling me something and I thought, “Why is he telling me this?” Just personal kind of stuff I couldn’t really care to know about him. Disregarding people’s private space. I remember seeing him with Nichelle in his office, which is when I realized, “Oh, he’s been banging Nichelle.” But he moved Majel into an apartment just down the street so he could go for nooners. I don’t know why he had to be lecherous, looking after every woman. He came back from Japan with Majel and he said to me, “You know, Ande, you can go from the front to the back but you can’t go from the back to the front. Majel’s got a heck of an infection.” Again, why are you telling me this? But that was him: freaky-deaky dude.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, love of Christ. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The series bible for The Next Generation, written by Gene, specified that Doctor Crusher should have "the natural walk of a striptease queen" and his initial vision of Deanna Troi was for her to have three boobs and possibly be a hermaphrodite. He also wanted Earth in Star Trek to be the Garden of Eden with men and women walking around naked in a lush jungle with tame tigers everywhere, and Risa to be nonstop orgy planet - men boinking women, men boinking men, women boinking women, naked and nonstop in the background of whatever was going on in the episode visiting the planet.

Sci-fi writers tend to be weird, folks. And Roddenberry was still not as messed up as, say, Heinlein.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with horny weirdos. Some of Roddenberry's stuff from the Seventies is charming, in part because of his permanently adolescent sexuality. Running all the girls through your office in their exotic getups, or telling somebody at random that you gave your squeeze a UTI by not wiping after going up the exhaust port is where I tend to draw the line.

And oh god, Heinlein. Heinlein, Heinlein, Heinlein.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Something about Bob Heinlein seems to break people's brains. Like you don't see people citing Isaac Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke as if they were political philosophers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Something about Bob Heinlein seems to break people's brains. Like you don't see people citing Isaac Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke as if they were political philosophers.

They didn't write a novel about libertarian STEM field people breaking away from an oppressive, ineffective regime.

Arthur C. Clarke was gay, British, and didn't worship the military industrial complex. Asimov was a liberal too. It's no wonder Heinlein is usually popular among those types.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure Marina Sirtis was in TNG because Roddenberry was aware of her work for Canon Films.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Cythereal posted:

The series bible for The Next Generation, written by Gene, specified that Doctor Crusher should have "the natural walk of a striptease queen" and his initial vision of Deanna Troi was for her to have three boobs and possibly be a hermaphrodite. He also wanted Earth in Star Trek to be the Garden of Eden with men and women walking around naked in a lush jungle with tame tigers everywhere, and Risa to be nonstop orgy planet - men boinking women, men boinking men, women boinking women, naked and nonstop in the background of whatever was going on in the episode visiting the planet.

Sci-fi writers tend to be weird, folks. And Roddenberry was still not as messed up as, say, Heinlein.

It’s no accident that two of the three woman leads in TNG quit in the first season, and one came back only after Gene stopped running the show.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Only Heinlein's juvenalia is worth talking about.

Although it's worth mentioning that even he specifically wrote a short story about how the lack of government is a bad thing and leads to whoever is the biggest rear end in a top hat gathering a gang and terrorizing everyone in reach.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Starfinger Alien Archive Part 18: "Outsiders often find them cheerfully manic, noting a goblin-like flair for the ridiculous but none of that race’s innate malice."

Got eight creatures that start with "S", so we're going to be a little more brief this time...
  • Sarcesian
  • Scavenger Slime
  • Sharpwing
  • Shobhad
  • Skittermander
  • Surnoch
  • Swarm, The
  • Symbiend
... as we enter the lightning round.

Sarcesian Sniper (CR 5) and Sarcesian Cybercommando (CR 8)

About a dozen feet tall, these are humanoids who supposedly once lived on the planets that became the Pact Worlds' asteroid belt. They evolved to live in a vacuum because apparently that's a thing that happens when your world explodes. They do this by "suspending their respiration" and emitting "wings made of pure light" that "catch currents of radiation". Despite that description, they just fly around in space normally in terms of rules. They have "creche worlds" made from asteroids with "arcane engines" that make them mini-paradises. Those who leave become snipers and scouts because... um... well, they do.

Large! Low-Light Vision! Extra skill point! Fly in space! There's a table for their specialty sniper rifles. The sniper is built as an operative, and the cybercommando is an engineer. Next!

Scavenger Slime (CR 9)

So entropy is a thing, but a mysterious race was offended by it, So, of course, they made a magic nanotech slime that could repair anything. But it developed sentience and stowawayed to other worlds (despite being described as sentient, the statblock has "Int -"). And so they rove around the worlds they end up on, repairing stuff that they know how to repair even though they may not know the technology because... anyway they sometimes gather up piles of technology and junk they defend because... anyway, they have eggs that might cling to a PC's boots and follow along even though they were invented because... some can turn organic targets into their own shells because... anyway, yeah, they usually build shells of technology because... anyway...

Assembly oozes were so good an idea they did a remix I guess.

Large oozes! They have a shell of energy resistance and damage resistance and guns you can sunder! Punching psuedopods!... not acid? Blunt damage! They shoot their guns! They can be made into equipment patching goo or gluebombs that punch their targets once! Done!

Sharpwing (CR 4)

From the "Ice Wells of Mercury Aballon", these are large flying carnivores that feed on other subterranean life. We get a lot of details on their mating process, and apparently they've been carried around to other worlds by people who try and breed them for undetailed and unclear R&D purposes. Also, they have lots of eyes. It's a neat visual design that just boils down to the "unflankable" trait.

Large flying predators! Bite/claw/claw! Can see through the eyes of eggs they lay! Their eggs can walk around, not sure why! People made a level 4 cloak covered in sensors based on them that can make you unflankable! Complete!

Shobhad (CR 4) and Shobhad Warleader (CR 7)

These are green martians four-armed giants from Barsoom Akiton which are your noble wandering nomad sorts that talk about honor all the time and trade their services as mercs or guides. All of them are trained in fighting and prize strength and I'm tilting over here because we already have the vesk and they were already boring. I guess these guys are more rustic and clannish than the vesk, but gently caress, how many cookie-cutter warrior races do we need?

Playable as PCs! Large! Darkvision! Four arms! Fight for one turn before falling over! Bonus speed! Cold resistance! The basic one has a machine gun and sword, and the warlord has soldier stuff! That's a wrap!

Skittermander Whelp (CR 0.333) and Skittermander (CR 2)

A client race of the vesk, this is a flighty race that doesn't understand the concept of ongoing authority - they understand having somebody lead a task, but don't really understand rank as a persistent notion. They let the vesk conquer them because they recognized the vesk were stronger and just got out of their way; they recognize them as large if not in charge. They let the vesk tell them what to do, but never really seem to recognize them as in charge. In short, they're kind of like cuter, nicer kender goblins with a "second mouth" in an unfortunate place. In fact, they kind of feel like trying to replicate what goblins did for Pathfinder for Starfinger - they're cute and marketable and the idea of a them greeting the Vesk invasion with indifference is actually pretty funny. It also gives them an alien behavioral hook that's neat, but risks being insufferable in the wrong hands. But what I'm ultimately saying is that it looks like they have a dickmouth.

Once again it's worth mentioning spellcasters can summon skittermanders to fight and die for them for some reason, or "why wizards are awful part #1,305,698".

Playable as PCs! Small! Grappling bonus! Low-light vision! Six arms! Can take an extra move action once a day! The whelp can attach with their "second mouth" and bite at you, the basic one gets some envoy abilities! Enough!

Surnoch (CR 9)

A 15' worm that lives in asteroids and moons, which mostly feels on minerals. Its poop leaves behind some rare and unusual materials it can't digest, but it's all too glad to try and munch on technology and spaceships. Somebody might be controlling them for corporate sabotage, as well.

Large animals! Immune to acid! Bite! Acid spit! Spines that are acid + piercing! Goes five times as fast in its tunnels (150' for a move action?). People make them into acid-squirting spears! Finished!

Swarm Corrovox (CR 3) and Swarm Thresher Lord (CR 10)

Descendants of the kucharn, the same race that would produce the shirrens, this is an rapacious... well, they're the zerg, except they just scorched-earth worlds for lunch. They're only really intelligent collectively and can't be reasoned with. They have a variety of organically-designed weapons. There'll be more of these guys in future books.

Corrovox: Medium humanoid! Claw! Acid cannon! Area effect psychic damage! Telepathic communication! Rerolls against mind-affecting effects when a pair or more!

Thresher Lord: Large humanoid! Arm blades! Extra attacks! Flight! Same telepathy as the corrovox! And that's over!

Symbiend (CR 0.333) and Damoritosh's Arm Host (CR 6)

Small aberrations that can sting and attach to people. While the text talks about the "impressive abilities they grant to hosts", the base one doesn't seem to do much but act as a parasite. There's also the "arm host" which grants a bunch of combat bonuses and some mental and social penalties, and we get a statblock for a human soldier bearing one. The "dream peddler" grants a bonus on Will and Wisdom checks, psychic powers, but penalty on physical actions and initiative. Finally, the "paragon" gives a bonus to saving throws, Charisma skills, and extra skill points, but reduces HP. Can you get one as a PC? Ask your GM, it says! And that's the end of the lightning round!

No monsters that start with T, so we can move on to...

Next: U is for Zombies.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 22, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nessus posted:

Libertarians are a special kind of Wonk, and it's no surprise their best source for their philosophy isn't from scholars but Sci-Fi writers

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sarcesian Sniper (CR 5) and Sarcesian Cybercommando (CR 8)

I'm thinking someone on the Starfinger payroll read the Hyperion Cantos.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

echopapa posted:

It’s no accident that two of the three woman leads in TNG quit in the first season, and one came back only after Gene stopped running the show.

I thought it was Maurice Hurley the producer that was the problem? Also Denise Crosby left because her character had jack poo poo to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRbRuE3KWFg

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 22, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

LongDarkNight posted:

The skrode-riders too.

They don't get a lot of direct screen time, but there's also the murder butterflies, and that poor whatever that's catching up on events via the equivalent of a very delayed usenet relay.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

I thought they were giving a real big thumbs up and then I saw the dumb sword.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Scavenger slimes sound like an attempt at a sci-fi gelatinous cube that actually manages to make less sense than the original.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Personally I like the idea of a bunch of slimes that are just... how nanotech works out in the setting.
Slimes are a constant in dungeons, and they're kind of endearing, so having a bunch of different grey goo scenarios as mildly annoying low-level monsters sounds like a fun take on the genre convention.
That's not what this is, but, it's what it could have been.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I immediately assumed there'd be a neat junk dungeon in space a la something like the short film Magnetic Rose where everybody wants to loot something but can't make any progress because the slug swarm is so thick no sooner have you cut into a wall than its repaired and slugs repair armor so well that they preemptively over armor you to where a shot will land so a standard shootout is just a stalemate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Scavenger slimes sound like an attempt at a sci-fi gelatinous cube that actually manages to make less sense than the original.

And, as already mentioned, they already had a sci-fi gelatinous cube. They did that.

There are interesting ideas that can be done, but they want to keep things so loose with each entry and not pin stuff down... I think they're trying to keep stuff open and flexible to interpretation, but so often it just makes the entries feel really wishy-washy and generic as a result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mors Rattus posted:

They're pretty much entirely a backstory thing. There is, at most, a single living tnuctip in the galaxy, and if said tnuctip exists it's trapped in a stasis box, in which time doesn't pass.

See, way back in prehistory, before the evolution of even the Pak, the galaxy was ruled by a race of telepathic reptiles, known today as the Slavers. The Slavers weren't very smart, and weren't very strong, but they needed neither, because their one evolutionary trick was telepathy and they were extremely good at it. They enslaved any other species they met with their telepathic powers, and the greatest of these were the Tnuctipun, a species of highly intelligent predators who became the favored servants of the Slavers for their scientific abilities. They developed telepathy-enhancers, for example, that let a single Slaver rule over an entire planet. They invented stasis boxes, which allowed anything inside the stasis field to exist outside of time, unable to act but completely immune to everything, until the field was interrupted.

The trick was, the Tnuctipun were also rebels. They used their knowledge to subtly sabotage Slaver projects - most notably, when they were ordered to make the perfect food animal, they made the Bandersnatchi. The Slavers never realized these food animals were intelligent because they were made to be telepathically deaf and mute. Using Bandersnatch spies and coordinators, the Tnuctipun were able to organize a slave rebellion that reached a state such that the Slavers were forced to result to their ultimate weapon - a telepathic amplifier so powerful it could send a command across the entire galaxy. Now, it couldn't be a complex command, but the Slavers didn't need one. Their command, in fact, was a single word.

Die.

Every living being in the galaxy that had developed a backbone and wasn't trapped in a stasis field immediately perished from the force of the telepathic order, except the Bandersnatchi, but including the Tnuctipun and Slavers themselves.

The Slavers hadn't realized, y'see, that it would work on Slavers when they hit the button, because again, the Slavers never needed to be very smart.

At least one Slaver survived in stasis - his name was Kzanol and his reawakening is the plot of World of Ptavvs. Besides that, other poo poo has been found in stasis boxes across the galaxy - sometimes useful tools, like the Disintegrator (a slow mining tool that fires two beams which produces an energy current between their target points that causes all known matter except for the GP hull to lose all atomic bonds and dissolve into atomic dust), and some weapons (the Soft Weapon from the titular short story, a semi-intelligent Tnuctip device that can absorb energy and can convert matter to energy, which then self-destructs due to believing itself to be in enemy hands). I ]I]think[/I] there's a story where a Tnuctip infant is found in a stasis box but I don't recall clearly.

What has been revealed of the Tnuctipun is that they were even more bloodthirsty than the Kzinti, that they were one of the most intelligent species ever to exist, and that they were probably involved in the creation of the Slaver's Final Weapon and its wide-band broadcast. It is believed that when the Tnuctipun rebellion really got going they had found a way to develop telepathy shielding, but not strong enough to stop the Slaver weapon. Oh, and they liked to eat their prey alive, and preferred intelligent prey.

Definitely seeing the inspiration for the Ur-Quan here (what with them being huge carnivorous centipedes), though clearly intended as more of a precursor race than an active one. Though Star Control goes for more identifiable alien races, with the Ur-Quan having a sympathetic backstory of having gone through massive species-wide trauma that's still with them on the genetic level, rather than Niven's rather alien aliens.

And on slimes; some D&D editions have slimes be a result of spells gone wrong, if you're doing Space Not-D&D than rogue nanotech makes about as much sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I can't be the only person that read The Worthing Saga after being exposed to (and generally enjoying) Ender's Game in middle school, am i?

because TWS is the lol-tastic, hacky, fan-fiction love letter to the Book of Mormon/LDS in the same way that the Book of Mormon/LDS is the lol-tastic, hacky, fan-fiction love letter to the New Testament. TWS is the physical manifestation of :biotruths:

I have no idea what the Worthing Saga is, but Enders Game was one of my favorite books growing up, and finding out his opinions has soured me on it somewhat. And cast several parts of Xenocide in a much different light.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Definitely seeing the inspiration for the Ur-Quan here (what with them being huge carnivorous centipedes), though clearly intended as more of a precursor race than an active one. Though Star Control goes for more identifiable alien races, with the Ur-Quan having a sympathetic backstory of having gone through massive species-wide trauma that's still with them on the genetic level, rather than Niven's rather alien aliens.

And on slimes; some D&D editions have slimes be a result of spells gone wrong, if you're doing Space Not-D&D than rogue nanotech makes about as much sense.

Ahh yes, Living Spells. It's even better when you have two living spells eat eachother and you get the cloudkill prismatic spray.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The original gelatinous cube was also a deliberate creation by mages, a self-propelled dungeon cleaning unit that mopped up organic remains while leaving potentially valuable loot unharmed for retrieval.

Kurieg posted:

Ahh yes, Living Spells. It's even better when you have two living spells eat eachother and you get the cloudkill prismatic spray.

Living Spells were an Eberron creation. Earlier versions of DnD tended to have various oozes and slimes as the result of various failed conjuration and transmutation spells.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

occamsnailfile posted:

Cherryh and LeGuin are two others who are good with aliens as characters, though their approach is rather different.

I've never actually read a Lensman novel though I plan to read at least the first one eventually--but any super special magic space knight order that specifically excludes women for 1940s reasons has eroded a lot of my interest out of the gate. Reading a review of that universe through the GURPS lens (as such) could be interesting.

Clarissa Macdougall, the Red Lensman, would like to disagree with you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Clarissa Macdougall, the Red Lensman, would like to disagree with you.
Clarissa has the Star Trek problem: At the time that story beat was probably bold and progressive. In hindsight, it looks like a failure to achieve basic adequacy, wrapped in sufficient hemming, hawing, and :biotruths: to look gross; indeed, to the point where you might fairly go "It would have been better had the topic not been raised at all."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The typical response is "well they're the bad guys", which for the Ferengi prompts the follow up question "why do they look and act like Jewish caricatures then?"

To be fair, it's hard to do 'evil merchants' or 'evil capitalists' without crossing over fairly heavily with anti-Semitic tropes, just because anti-Semites have associated basically all the negative aspects of capitalism and business to Jewishness.

They did at least try to make the early Ferengi more obviously an allegory of capitalists in general in early TNG - their signature weapon is a whip, Data compares them to 'Yankee traders' - hell, even the name is derived from the Farsi and Hindi word 'farengi', meaning foreigner, but specifically applied to European traders during the colonial era. I think the problem was they never worked as antagonists, so the idea that they were meant to be an interstellar East India Company or United Fruit never came across right, and they ended up just being scheming, cowardly merchants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, it's hard to do 'evil merchants' or 'evil capitalists' without crossing over fairly heavily with anti-Semitic tropes, just because anti-Semites have associated basically all the negative aspects of capitalism and business to Jewishness.

They did at least try to make the early Ferengi more obviously an allegory of capitalists in general in early TNG - their signature weapon is a whip, Data compares them to 'Yankee traders' - hell, even the name is derived from the Farsi and Hindi word 'farengi', meaning foreigner, but specifically applied to European traders during the colonial era. I think the problem was they never worked as antagonists, so the idea that they were meant to be an interstellar East India Company or United Fruit never came across right, and they ended up just being scheming, cowardly merchants.

I'm guessing doing the Ferengi as a soulless interstellar megacorp would have been too on the nose.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Angry Salami posted:

On one hand, yes.

On the other, you know, it's easier to avoid that by not making the race look like a piece of crazy anti-semitic caricature.

I suggest hypercapitalist libertarian space parrots, in bubble helmets.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Night10194 posted:

I suggest hypercapitalist libertarian space parrots, in bubble helmets.
Please don't make them Jimmy Buffet stereotypes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Carados posted:

"Captain, they're drunk again, and lost."

"Did they say what their purpose was?"

"They lost a supply of sodium chloride."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Carados posted:

Playing as hypercapitalist nuclear terrorist parrots with a resigned acceptance of their lovely, hosed up megacorp life because 'the man has dogs and nukes' was the most fun I ever had with Stellaris.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

That's only a problem with lazy portrays of capitalism that seek to make is solely a personal evil rather than institutional. It's like "we want Hitler to be evil because he's a Nazi but not bring up any specifics of why Nazism is an inherently evil ideology". Like Robocop comes form the same era and has very arch evil capitalists without dipping its toes into antisemitism at all.

It just requires the creators to think about why capitalism is evil rather than just thinking of it as an alignment brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ferengi were a bit weird and confused given their society in some ways is more relatable and fleshed out than what Federation civilians actually do with their time, when they're meant to be the foil to the totally-not-communist Federation.

Besides, the proper sci-fi metaphor for capitalism is probably grey goo.

Generally I think a measure of a setting is whether you can imagine actually living an ordinary life there that doesn't involve being A Protagonist. Similar reason why things like Klingons become weird to examine, because a society needs tailors, farmers, janitors and band managers too. (see the band manager Kzinti character) I think Star Wars as a setting has stuck in people's heads so well because you see more of the mundanities of life; it starts out with an extended sequence of Luke the moisture farmer dealing with technical issues and buying second-hand hardware, one of the most iconic pieces of music is a band playing background music in a bar, and so on. It's a setting where things happen and life goes on when the protagonists and antagonists don't happen to be around.