Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feinne posted:

Yeah Herald of the Outer Gods sounds awesome on paper but that means you're the guy who gets sent to hang out with loser cultists because Shub-Niggurath and Yog-Sothoth would literally rather do anything else and Azathoth is too far from anything recognizable to even communicate intelligibly.

Also there's that incessant atonal thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Dawgstar posted:

Also there's that incessant atonal thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Yeah it's very possible he tricked the gods of the Dreamlands into leaving Kadath for Carter's awesome dream city just so he could have somewhere loving quiet to hang out. And all of his efforts to stop Carter reaching Kadath were an extended 'Don't you blow this for me, jerk".

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, Deep Ones are just sexy mermaid people that the U.S. government viciously oppressed with bombing campaigns.

What, you thought they were evil rape frogs? Who told you that, Lovecraft? That guy thought Spaniards were grease-monsters who worship the moon. Completely nuts.

Alan Moore made an excellent comic series, ‘Providence’, which takes that premise exactly and runs with it. The fish-people of Innsmouth are all round splendid chaps, their only crimes being openness to the new and not having a warped set of hypocritical sexual morals like good gentlemen should.

The obivious parallels between the destruction of Innsmouth and the destruction of European jewish communities are also touched upon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Providence is apparently linked to Neonomicon which had literal fishman rape, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's very cute but I read Neonomicon and you're not tricking me into reading another frog rape comic. Nice try though.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
Moore himself admitted Neonomicon was poo poo (or at least got as close to admitting it as his ego allows). I assure you Providence is, like, 90% rape free. It's also a brilliant series.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...90%?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So, which race would be a good enemy in a sane Cthulhu tech? And who could lead a less insane version of Rapine Storm? The problem with Deep Ones is that you need to keep them from summoning Cthulhu. What about Yith working overtly?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'd still be the Mi-Go, they just decided they want ALL the limestone and the mining company has called in the army to colonize you after too many industrial Investigator accidents.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Mi-Go Intelligence Agency sighs, establishes School of Earth

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

JcDent posted:

So, which race would be a good enemy in a sane Cthulhu tech? And who could lead a less insane version of Rapine Storm? The problem with Deep Ones is that you need to keep them from summoning Cthulhu. What about Yith working overtly?

Just don't make Cthulhu into Super Godzilla. He's a giant alien cult leader that can influence the dreams of mankind. That's enough. You don't need to over hype him into something you can't tell a story about.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Cthulhu is already a giant monster who can cast every spell in the CoC rulebook. You don't have to give him the power to do Marxist-Lacanian movie reviews.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The Deep Ones worship Cthulhu but they don't really need to be trying to wake him up ahead of schedule. They're immortal so they can wait for the Stars to be Right.

Serpent people are also a good option, Yig isn't the sort of thing you summon as part of some world-ending cataclysm and you get to do fun things like contrast the real life reptilian conspiracy poo poo with actual snake people actually doing conspiracy poo poo.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Yith are interesting for their body-snatching tendencies, someone suddenly acting off, and starts taking interest in things they hadn't before (like Joe your mechanic who dropped out of high school is suddenly studying quantum mechanics), generally they seem to not give a gently caress long as no one messes with them, but complications will arise when love ones of Joe want to know what the hell happened

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bar Crow posted:

Just don't make Cthulhu into Super Godzilla. He's a giant alien cult leader that can influence the dreams of mankind. That's enough. You don't need to over hype him into something you can't tell a story about.
Counterpoint: Cthulhu dicking around and razing cities to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxM-RzIEGEo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Moore himself admitted Neonomicon was poo poo (or at least got as close to admitting it as his ego allows). I assure you Providence is, like, 90% rape free. It's also a brilliant series.

That's nice to hear. I remember reading Neonomicon was so dark because he was angry at having to pay his tax bill or something. OH GOOD I AM GLAD THERE WAS A REASON.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JcDent posted:

Well it depends on what you're going for. If you're going for something Delta Green-esque but a little above the board and without intelligence agency nihilism then the serpent people and the Insects from Shaggai would be good solid antagonists, especially if both are operating in an overlapping way and are presenting your characters with a complicated puzzle that makes no sense (because person X is a serpent man thrall, while person Y has a bug in his head).

The Yithians would probably not work overtly outside of small crisis points; there's an adventure in "Atomic Age Cthulhu" where a US tank crew is approached by a North Korean who has been taken over by a Yithian, with the Yithian essentially serving as a subject matter expert for stopping The Cult. The Cult, of course, is always a good answer and means you don't have to worry too much about various greeblies. (You also run into a fun ethical question if you're set in America, in that: Do you not have the legal right to copulate with Yog-Sothoth, worship Azathoth and marry a fishman? I smell a Phoenix Wright spinoff.)

The mi-go make solid sense as antagonists if you're going for something more space-faring. I don't think, as presented, they would hold up for some kind of space marines situation but they would certainly work well for some kind of other event, and the GURPS books regularly suggest in the "how to mix it up" sections that one might introduce the Cthuloids discreetly in the course of an unrelated campaign.

There is also the one obvious answer which is, in a sense, the most Lovecraftian of all: Make some poo poo up. You want to keep in mind your need (antagonist group, probably horrifying), probably have to make some broad spectrum calls (are they genuinely, fundamentally antagonist? do they have comprehensible goals which just happen to be anti-human, or anti-the-PCs? are they ultimately sympathetic if monstrous? can you speak to them?), figure out what kind of horror you're going for, and work from there. The xenomorphs from Alien are essentially a Mythos species, they have just always been approached through a sci-fi lens.

Finally, nobody would be good for leading "Rapine Storm," because Rapine Storm is disgusting and stupid. You can of course do whatever you want at your table, but I'd ask you to consider what you are trying to DO with the use of "Rapine Storm."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I meant it as a sane Rapine Storm counterpart: directly mythos lead band of conquering crazies, as opposed to Mi-Go's "just aliens" threat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Lovecraft didn't really write any Evil Mythos Race that would work as something analogous to the armies of Mordor, or the many variants that have shown up in D&D. Y'know, an army with a bunch of rank-and-file units, plus some cool leaders and unique units to spice things up. Something that makes for a good wargame.

If you want a mythos threat that can be like that, and can be a huge army swarming across Asia or Europe, the easiest thing is to just say that the Dreamlands puked up its inhabitants into the waking world. The Rapine Storm isn't terribly organized anyway, so the fact that these various monsters and monster-men wouldn't have centralized leadership isn't a problem.

You could also take a Derlethian route and say that all the "servitor races"--Deep Ones, fire vampires, spawn of Tsathogghua, whatever--are on the ground and fighting humans and each other now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Lovecraft didn't really write any Evil Mythos Race that would work as something analogous to the armies of Mordor, or the many variants that have shown up in D&D. Y'know, an army with a bunch of rank-and-file units, plus some cool leaders and unique units to spice things up. Something that makes for a good wargame.

If you want a mythos threat that can be like that, and can be a huge army swarming across Asia or Europe, the easiest thing is to just say that the Dreamlands puked up its inhabitants into the waking world. The Rapine Storm isn't terribly organized anyway, so the fact that these various monsters and monster-men wouldn't have centralized leadership isn't a problem.

You could also take a Derlethian route and say that all the "servitor races"--Deep Ones, fire vampires, spawn of Tsathogghua, whatever--are on the ground and fighting humans and each other now.
Sandy Petersen was selling a board game on this premise at Origins this year. Looked pretty cool!

And yeah Lovecraft did not go for any of this militarized horror stuff. Have it be cultists or something, give them some horrible twist that you find aesthetically satisfying ('they win converts because their religion is true!' or 'they're out capitalisming capitalism!' or whatever)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I mean if you go with the idea that the Star Spawn are actually back even if Great Cthulhu isn't yet then a Star Spawn+Deep Ones+Cultists force could work pretty well. They even work well as a plausible military threat because the majority of the actual force is human sized and totally able to use human weaponry which can then be augmented by Star Spawn magic.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Better Rapine Storm: first drop the name. Second, Nodens is made aware of the wars between mankind and the outer beings and that Nyarly and Shub are taking hold in the waking world and preparing monstrosities to unleash on mankind. All this means to him is that Earth is now prime hunting grounds for rare beasts, from Horned Ones to big ol' mecha. He relocates to the Plateau of Leng where it borders the Dreamlands and the Himilayas and forms his military headquarters. From there he looses his hunters and generals into China who radicalize scared survivors into becoming hunting militias who begin to march and hunt en masse. Instead of rampant psychosis and sexual assault you instead have the Maenad Legion, zealots driven to madness by the glory of a just hunt who act as dogs would for hunters. The world now has to contend with a unified fighting force that has goals that align with the new world order but is explicitly not allied with it. The soldiers of Nodens are terrible to behold, saviors of the abandoned lands who care not for the survivors they free from the jaws of danger, taking their fill of food and revelry like Greek heroes of old and leaving their scraps to the survivors who may join if they wish or not. More will join the hunt if they do not.

This frees up Hastur to become a political revolution that answers the fears of the scared and desperate by offering them safe haven in Carcossa. No strings attached, just open your heart to the King in Yellow and you will find nothing can keep you from immigration. Hastur has no physical presence in the world. Everything associated with Hastur is memetic or political or social. The government censors political media and produces warning propaganda while mouthpieces publish thinkpieces on the glory of returning to the golden days and people meet in secret to discuss political reform or forming domestic cultist cells to spread the word of peace and safety.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

And then it turns out Nyarlathotep really wasn't involved at all and has spent the whole time chilling somewhere with all the cable news channels on drinking and eating popcorn, and the monsters are just our bad luck because some convergence opened a stable portal that allows the unique and baffling spawn Shub Niggurath constantly creates in her role as the embodiment of life and creation to wander over.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Hostile V posted:

LIBER MAGICA

EMPIRICAL THAUMATURGY

Or

I Want To Make a Sailor Moon Joke But She and Her Squad Just Straight Kick rear end

Is this a continuation of the Victoriana writeup, or should it be its own thing?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'd split it up, it's a digression but it stands enough on its own, thanks for asking.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

There is also the one obvious answer which is, in a sense, the most Lovecraftian of all: Make some poo poo up. You want to keep in mind your need (antagonist group, probably horrifying), probably have to make some broad spectrum calls (are they genuinely, fundamentally antagonist? do they have comprehensible goals which just happen to be anti-human, or anti-the-PCs? are they ultimately sympathetic if monstrous? can you speak to them?), figure out what kind of horror you're going for, and work from there. The xenomorphs from Alien are essentially a Mythos species, they have just always been approached through a sci-fi lens.

This is why I prefer Eclipse Phase to Cthulhutech: exothreats are something you've never seen or heard about, you have to use your brains and imagination to figure out what they're about.

Also, I think all the CoC games I've played have never used the Mythos creatures, it's always something else.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

BY THE SKIN OF THEIR TEETH – PART TWO

Trust No-One

The first half of the scenario is actually pretty open-ended. The investigators need to find the Shunned Mosque and the Sedefkar Scrolls, but there's a lot of ways they can do that.

The staff at the hotel will recommend the investigators acquire the services of a scribe – as well as writing and translating documents, the scribes are familiar with Turkish bureaucracy and can help investigators navigate the city. They can find one in the Grand Bazaar in Stamboul. When the team gets there, they are shouldered aside by five burly Turks who attack a scribe, beating him up and breaking his laptop writing desk. If the investigators talk to him, he is a polite little man who introduces himself as Feyar in impeccable English. He apologises to them and explains that he was attacked because some business they did with the government went badly – they can't hurt the government, so it's better to shoot the messenger. He is a brilliant scribe and will happily work for the investigators.

He is also an agent for the Brotherhood of the Skin, as were the five men who attacked him. The whole thing was staged so he would be noticed by the investigators. If hired, he gives a full account of anything the investigators do to Selim every night. If not, he shadows them perfectly and does the same thing – no roll is allowed to discover him. So that's nice.

Also, should the investigators decide to ask locals about the Shunned Mosque or anything related to the quest, they get nowhere. The keeper rolls 1D10 every time they ask someone. On a 1, they run away, terrified of breaking silence. On a 2-9 they know nothing. On a 10, they or someone nearby is a Brother who ensures the investigators are marked.

Take A Look, It's In A Book

Our good friend Library Use. There are apparently 400 mosques in Constantinople, with new ones built every year as old ones fall to disuse. However, none of them are referred to as the Shunned Mosque. Canny investigators will try looking up mosques of ill reputation or ones that have a record of crimes taking place in the surrounding area. This pulls up references the Red Mosque, a long-abandoned mosque that has since become a hangout for local criminals. The book suggests finding this probably takes about two days.

Looking up the Sedefkar Scrolls requires a Luck roll as well, which reveals that they're being held in Topkapi Museum. Getting to the scrolls isn't easy – the current museum director is a staunch Turkish traditionalist who distrusts foreigners. He'll require a Persuade roll before he'll even let the investigators see the scrolls and an additional Fast Talk before he'll let anyone study them. He needs to be convinced that doing so is somehow beneficial to Turkish identity and international reputation. However, the tubes that housed the scrolls are now empty, save for a note:

Garaznet turns out to have been a Kurdish scholar who died some 400 years ago and left no descendants. He is buried in Uskudar Cemetery. The Brotherhood stole the scrolls decades ago but put the note here only recently; it's a deliberate attempt to draw the investigators into a trap. More on that later.

Palms Sweaty, Mom's Spaghetti

While researching in the Grand Bazaar, investigators may hear about a man named Beylab the Perspirer. Beylab is a disreputable information broker who can find out anything for anyone. He happily works with foreigners, since they typically pay more than locals. With 24 hours notice, anyone can make an appointment to see him at his base of operations in one of Turkey's traditional bath-houses. Beylab has also been compromised by the Brotherhood: he once feared nothing, now he fears only them. If the investigators make a meeting with him, they will be walking into another set-up.

The baths are segregated by gender, so only male investigators will be able to see Beylab. Investigatrixes will enjoy the baths in the presence of two Brothers who've been disguised as women to take them out if they try to help their fellows. Investigators meet the Perspirer, an obese man who lives up to his name, in a marble room much like a sauna. One has to be naked to enter the male baths, so unless they get really creative the investigators will not be armed.

Beylab very convincingly recites the script given to him by the Brotherhood. He tells them that there is an insane cult in the city that worships a statue, that has eyes everywhere and gathers in the Red Mosque. They are responsible for the kidnappings of children, none of whom have been put up for sale (a fact he mentions casually). The statue is a treasure capable of great evil, but it is two-faced: the Kurd Garaznet knew of the 'good path' of the statue. Garaznet was an enemy of the cult and knew the ritual that would destroy the statue, which was buried with him upon death. Destroying the statue will destroy the cult.

What Beylab doesn't realise is how far the Brotherhood is willing to go to maintain this charade. As Beylab bends over to scoop water out of a nearby basin, one of the bath attendants comes up behind him and cuts his throat (0/1D4 SAN). Flames quickly emerge from the stone he was sitting on and incinerate him as he dies. The flesh boils and slides off of the skeleton, then – still boiling – becomes alive, spreading out in a red carpet and trying to ensnare the investigators (1/1D8+1 SAN). This Flesh Thing can attack up to three targets at once, flowing up its victims legs and boiling them to death over three rounds. It can't be hurt by conventional means, but cool water like that in the nearby basins is its weakness. Dumping enough water on it reduces it to lumps of inanimate flesh.

Alternatively, the investigators could make a run for it – 1D6 SAN to hear the screams of the Flesh Thing's victims as they run away. Spot Hidden lets the investigators spot the telltale scars on the bodies of Brotherhood cultists among the fleeing bathers.

Next time: grave robbing!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the d10 roll to see what flavor of useless your questioning is.

By like I mean hate.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Night10194 posted:

I like the d10 roll to see what flavor of useless your questioning is.

By like I mean hate.

I like that the Brotherhood apparently has these six cultists doing this elaborate routine in the Bazaar just on the off chance they can catch the attention of an interesting foreigner.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Down With People posted:

I like that the Brotherhood apparently has these six cultists doing this elaborate routine in the Bazaar just on the off chance they can catch the attention of an interesting foreigner.

When you're omnipotently powerful you get bored and start emulating Nyarlathotep yourself, checks out.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh, well, if you want leads, you can do any of these things

(but they're all more-or-less useless and going to end with people trying to kill you).

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Given Shub Niggurath explicitly is basically a Gauntlet style monster spawner with a randomizer attached to it, it seems like it'd be a good source of an army of horrible gribblies. They wouldn't be terribly organized, barring cultists, but it only would take a few to direct them around and cultists are always in supply in mythos style games.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Why even have it be a setup? What's the point? I mean, sure, your local guide is part of the cult, that's fine. How would it ever come up that the attack was faked, and if it did come up, his does that improve the story?

Why does the sweaty shadowbroker need to be a patsy? It literally adds nothing.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Shub Nigguruth turning Australia or something into a spawning pit for tentacled Kaiju (kind of pacific rim turned up a few notches) isn't a bad way to do it, but it'd probably quickly lose any particular appeal and just turn into monster-of-the-week, like a godzilla game with a few more tentacles here and there.

Best way to do something is probably stick to human vs human conflicts, with the power of the Old Ones or Outer Gods being used as exotic fuel sources or WMDs: basically take the Eva inspiration that's already there, throw in some extra body horror to make your giant mechs work and have a game of mech pilots in their barely controlled machines powered by imprisoned shoggoth and go on missions against Korth Norea which has started a super-soldier program where they've started cloning deep-one hybrids to pilot their fishy mechs while they work on the A-Bomb (A is for Azathoth).

Basically, the cthulhu mythos works best as a looming threat or a creeping corruption, not something you go toe-to-toe with.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 18, 2018

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Down With People posted:

This depiction of Constantinople is so schlocky I'm waiting of Christopher Lee to show up pretending to be Chinese.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

accidentally quoted my own post there.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there is worth for there to be a fate of the earth type of deal going on as long as it has had a slow build up with more minor goals for most of the game, with the last session of the campaign being the one where the fate of the earth is determined.

Edit: I think the Elder Gods or cultists would get better results just mutating the wildlife in Australia and seeing what horrifying freaks emerge from it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My favorite CTech campaign involved basically that 'Shub Nigguruth just makes an entire landmass a breeding pool,' though we used the UK for it. You can do a lot with that idea. Kaiju of the week can be fun but you can also use cultists and junk for more personal horror. My group wound up having a nice mix of "HOLY gently caress WHAT IS THAT ATTACKING NEW YORK" and stuff like hunting down cultists running a 'lab' where they try to make their own studies on life and all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

oriongates posted:

Basically, the cthulhu mythos works best as a looming threat or a creeping corruption, not something you go toe-to-toe with.
While true, I feel that if you were going to do some Evangelion game, you absolutely need to respect everyone's time and have EVA-01 get into a fistfight with Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

While true, I feel that if you were going to do some Evangelion game, you absolutely need to respect everyone's time and have EVA-01 get into a fistfight with Cthulhu.

Just as long as Cthulhu takes bonus damage from improvised weapons (steamboats).