Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The nWoD's toolkit approach means you only need to add whatever's needed for your game. Also, it's been described as full of unknown weirdness, with questions only leading to more questions, from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
Way, way back, but...

LongDarkNight posted:

Shrinking fetish, it checks out. :barf:

Sounds more like he's just a big dude and is using that to intimidate them. Pretty sure the cigar just a cigar in this case.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

Family Dinner
AKA: Let's blow the whole power dynamic and double-edged sword that is Feeding out of the water. A Beast can accompany any supernatural creature while it hunts, feeds, or both and gain sustenance from it. It doesn't matter if it's a vampire bleeding some drunk in an ally or a Werewolf stalking an intruder, as long as they are actively tracking prey and/or taking sustenance from the hunt. The Storyteller has final say on if it counts or not, but it needs to involve a monster's supernatural nature or appetites directly. You can't take your werewolf friend out to Burger King.

If the beast witnessed a successful hunt (one that results in taking down the intended quarry either literally or figuratively) they gain one Satiety. If they witness a feeding they gain one satiety. If they witness a hunt that results in a feeding they gain two. A Beast does not need to make her presence known to benefit from this, they could just stalk an unsuspecting vampire from the rooftops. But each successful use of Family Dinner removes a door on an attempt to place Family Ties on the target. If you already have the Family Ties condition on the target of Family Dinner, you gain another point of satiety. And a beast can choose to regain less satiety if they want to 'stay hungry' (AKA: For the love of god do not go to 10 satiety). You can only feed in this way once a scene, the target of the target's hunt cannot be a willing victim, and you need to be physically present. You can't feed via CCTV.

This is what I was talking about when I said I had my own thoughts. Family Dinner near-singlehandedly destroys the game's attempts to do an actually interesting experiment with mechanics via Satiety, and once Kurieg goes over Satiety's rules, I'll start posting about why.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

And don't you know that the neutron bomb is the cleanest bomb around, there's no extra fallout over the rest of the area?

It's nice and clean and quick and gets things done.

I don't like the overbearing nature of the God-Machine, but like MonsieurChoc said the NWoD is a toolkit, so I can leave it and Mage out when making a setting no problem.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The "everyone loves Beaties" mechanics have a real Kender vibe to them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Werewolf: the Forsaken, Second Edition

Irraka are the stalkers, the New Moons. Theirs is the moon of secrets and ambushes. They are the wolves that do not howl. They listen to their packmates but trust them to know that the Irraka will not answer. Instead, they streak silently, tearing out the prey's throat, crippling them, pushing them far from help. If they can kill, they will, but they're more interested in ensuring a kill happens. When they hunt with a pack, they often choose not to strike the killing blow, instead being proud of their job in crippling the prey. Let the Rahu or Cahalith tear out the throat - it was the Irraka who ensured they could. Without the pack, an Irraka's tactics change greatly. They kill swiftly and efficiently, stalking from the shadows, maximizing every advantage they could possibly use. Irraka instinctively think in terms of being able to gain advantage over those around them. Indeed - it is their ability to spot the perfect moment to kill anyone that tends to be the most terrifying thing about them. It's not that they want to, but it comforts them to know they can kill everyone around them. If they find someone they can't figure out how to kill, they tend become intrigued by them. (This includes their packmates - every good Irraka knows how to kill every one of them, they'd just never do it, and might not have a plan they're capable of implementing easily.)

Irraka test everything - people, doors, social connections. They don't want to break them, but they know everything breaks, so it's good to know how and where they'll break before they do. Sometimes...well, sometimes that means testing to destruction. Young Irraka often take the view that it was going to break anyway, so they can't be blamed. Older Irraka, more mature ones, know that this is entirely insufferable and instead learn to not break things by accident. More than any other auspice, though, all Irraka are comfortable hunting alone. They'd prefer a pack, sure. That's an advantage you can't ignore. But they are also masters of stealth, and it's always easier to hide one werewolf than four or five. Thus, they tend to hunt near their pack, trusting them to be clsoe enough to know when to come to aid. Thus, Irraka say, they are not lone wolves. They are as much pack as anyone else. They just trust their packmates a little more.

Irraka, before the First Change, are generally careful, meticulous, thoughtful types. They could be scientists, hackers, people who like to make inappropriate jokes to see who squirms or even private eyes or troubleshooters. Their First Change is rarely a bloody rampage - but that doesn't mean it's bloodless. An Irraka is a killer, almost always. They are relentless, silent, appearing from nowhere to destroy their prey. On the First Change, someone almost always dies.

Stereotypes posted:

Cahalith: Leave me out.
Cahalith want glory, fame. An Irraka knows that if someone is talking about you, you hosed up. Reputation's fine, sure, even useful...but at the end of the day, it means they know who you are and what you like to do, and an Irraka knows that's the first step in finding how to kill someone.
Elodoth: Don't worry. I'll be there.
Irraka respect the Elodoth - both look for advantages, but the Irraka operates on a much smaller scale. Elodoth consider the entire big picture. However, they're often too controlling, too obsessive. Still, an Irraka does know a good plan when they hear one.
Ithaeur: Let's go over this again. Honey in the right hand, thistle in the left?
Irraka tend to be nervous with spirits. Most don't bleed, don't feel pain. None are quite like any other prey. Irraka, thus, defer to the Ithaeur when spirits get involved. In other areas, they tend to ignore them entirely.
Rahu: Good shot.
The Rahu is the opposite of the Irraka. For the Irraka, the kill is the goal. It is quick, silent and definite. For the Rahu, the fight is the goal, because the fight sends a message. Irraka can appreciate a moral victory, sure, but they prefer a total victory - it's easy enough to spin the lesson into that after the fact.

The Hunter's Aspect of the Irraka is Blissful. Their prey is unaware they're being hunted at all. They enjoy the outdoors, take part in their vices, never notice the shadowy form that gets ever closer to their exposed throat. The innate Gifts of the Irraka are Evasion, New Moon and Stealth. Their Auspice Skills are Larceny, Stealth and Subterfuge, and their Renown is Cunning. Their innate power is tapping into the inherent uncertainty of the new moon. Once per session, they can become suddenly closer to a target. This has one of three effects:
  • You can move your Initiative to within one point of the target's, either one above or one below depending on if you started before or after them.
  • You can move close enough to use your natural weapons against one foe that isn't currently attacking you.
  • You can remove two Doors needed in Social Maneuvering against the target.

Blood Talon Irraka are the hunters of hunters - not glorious warriors, but silver-wielding assassins that kill by darkness. Bone Shadow Irraka are obsessive eccentrics, often undergoing complex purification rituals every day and carrying a number of charms and random objects to serve as bans and banes for local spirits. They are skilled at considering not only their prey, but the kind of spirits that might also be hunting the prey. Hunter in Darkness Irraka are meticulous in their attention to detail, learning the many powers the Hosts they face might have, and how they might kill a beast that will, on death, explode into a thousand tiny, living fragments. Iron Master Irraka are...well, killers, each with a thousand ways to kill their prey, but needing to live among them. They tend either to the very careful or to resent humans. Some like to see how much they can get away with before humans start to notice. Storm Lord Irraka win by endurance, driving their prey further and further into unfamiliar ground, away from help. They strike only once the target is exhausted, and this is because they are used to having to kill twice - first the Claimed body, and just as often after that, the released spirit.

Next time: Spirit Talker

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The God-Machine is nothing more out-there than your average Lovecraftian great elder thing, it's vast and alien and incomprehensible and you don't really fight it so much as work to weather getting caught up in its machinations and do what you can to keep others from the same. It even has cultists. I mean I guess they could have gone for Cthulhu mythos with the serial numbers filed off but I like the, as Halloween Jack puts it, material nature of the God-Machine and that you can disrupt its plans not with weird magic from ancient tomes but by hijacking a shipment of computer motherboards or burning down a convenience store.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Night10194 posted:

The biggest problem, for me, with the God Machine is that I don't really see how it benefits from being in the World of Darkness instead of its own thing. But then, I find that's the case with a lot of Chronicles of Darkness. 'How does there also being dozens of vampires trying to rule the world add to this convoluted situation' is a question I find myself asking about most of the gamelines except Hunter. Like Cythreal said, oh, look, some weird poo poo. Which of the bazillion different sources of weird poo poo could this be? Oh, it's the magic computer monster, this week.

It's a bit on-the-nose, but you could just run it in Unknown Armies. You wouldn't need to change anything, expect maybe writing up an Adept school that uses it and giving it a human origin to fit with You Did It, and Mechanomancers can fill both those niches. Change them from steampunks into agents of the God Machine.

Can you play a GM cultist? It seems like the best option for humanity's survival in the WoD.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 25, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'm not fond of the term "Mary Sue" these days, but drat, it sure seems like Beasts check most of the boxes for it.
"Poochie" actually seems like a better, clearer metaphor to use. In this specific case and in general.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Count Chocula posted:

It's a bit on-the-nose, but you could just run it in Unknown Armies. You wouldn't need to change anything, expect maybe writing up an Adept school that uses it and giving it a human origin to fit with You Did It, and Mechanomancers can fill both those niches. Change them from steampunks into agents of the God Machine.

Can you play a GM cultist? It seems like the best option for humanity's survival in the WoD.

GNOMON, the magickally-sentient government surveillance computer from UA3e, feels almost like a piece of God-Machine infrastructure that found its way in the UA universe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ithaeur are the most drastically changed from their human lives. Before, even if they did believe in spirits, they didn't see them much. Now, they're everywhere. The Ithaeur know - you're never really alone. They are watched, always, by a thousand ephemeral eyes. There is nowhere, Flesh or Shadow, that is without spirits. They embrace this, having no other choice, and do their best to live in accordance with the laws of spirits, to respect them - for safety, if nothing else. Every Ithaeur is a shaman, set apart from their society. No longer human, yes, but also not a spirit, as the spirits happily remind them. The trauma of the First Change often pushes them far from humanity, however, so they identify more with spirit than flesh, forgetting at times that the middle path is best - the path of being Uratha. Even for a werewolf, they act strangely, observing bans that do not actually affect them, becoming close to the spirits. They are valued by their packs and their tribes, but even there, they are something of an outsider - sought when needed, but not the first pick for socializing. However, no matter what, the Ithaeur is vital to the Sacred Hunt. Obviously they help when hunting spirits, but even corporeal prey must fear their unseen allies. An Ithaeur can see through spirit eyes, wake the spirit of an object to betray its user, borrow a spirit's power. They can track prey by the activity of Shadow and, if they really want to gently caress you up, they can call on spirits to possess or Claim you.

Ithaeur are also the best of werewolves at crafting fetishes, as they deeply understand spiritual resonance and what spirits fit best in an object. They have been known to free spirits placed in poorly fit or badly made fetishes rather than allow such an obvious insult to continue. This rarely endears them to the fetishes' owners, but most Ithaeur would happily anger a werewolf to gain favor with spirits. While weak spirits are easy enough for them to control or kill, the rulers of the spirit courts are like gods, far beyond their power to command. An Ithaeur that does not check wards and follow spirit laws is likely to be torn apart by angry spirits. What they seek, however, is Wisdom - knowledge of spirits, the Uratha, the supernatural in general. They love to learn, and they know: spirits are dangerous, and deserve respect.

Before the First Change, Ithaeur tend to be fearful, even paranoid, and definitely weird. They often think they are psychic or cursed by God, if they don't have someone around to explain the spirits they sometimes sense. Most of them experience the First Change in response to some great shift in the Hisil - the First Tongue name for the Shadow. When they do Change, they often earn a reputation among spirits based on their actions that night.

Stereotypes posted:

Cahalith: In the story, what color was her dress? Hurry!
Ithaeur, right or wrong, look to the Cahalith as loremasters. An Ithaeur knows spirits, sure, but tends to focus on the ones they've met or are likely to meet. Cahalith, in theory, know the stories of spirits worldwide, and thus should know their banes and bans, even if it's couched in metaphor. In practice, they often fail to realize that Cahalith often make things up.
Elodoth: You want it to be so simple. Grow up.
Ithaeur know that while spirits operate by law, their ecology is vastly more important. Spirits can seem to violate their own laws because of some exemption from time or place, and that seems to piss Elodoths off to no end.
Irraka: Don't kid yourself. They see you.
Irraka sometimes forget spirits exist. Ithaeur are quick to remind them that they do - and that any spirit of stealth will spot them hiding simply because they are using stealth. Hiding from a spirit requires understanding what they can't 'see' - and Ithaeur are happy to teach the Irraka what that is.
Rahu: Sorry, I'll just stay out of your way, then. Call me if you want to win this fight.
Rahu like to run facefirst into battle, which works fine against corporeal foes, but not so hot on spirits. A smart Rahu learns to ask the Ithaeur first - but the Ithaeur are often frustrated by younger, dumber Rahu, who insist that martial skill is all they need.

The Hunter's Aspect of the Ithaeur is Mystical. Their prey senses the spiritual world around them, even though they can't see it. They avoid areas of spiritual resonance, fall back on superstition, are betrayed by their senses. Spirits suffer similarly, but sense the material world instead. The innate Gifts of the Ithaeur are Crescent Moon, Elemental and Shaping. Their Auspice Skills are Animal Ken, Medicine and Occult, and their Renown is Wisdom. Their innate power is the ability to claim their place in the spirit hierarchy - that of dominant predator. Once per session, they can unleash a howl that is silent in the world of Flesh, but in the Shadow, it reverberates. Any spirit of lower Rank than you flees the area, hides or goes dormant, while more potent spirits avoid you. Spirits actively allied to your pack or totem may even help you, though not often. Only spirits outright hostile to your pack will not show deference, and even then, their Defense is reduced by your Wisdom. This howl requires no roll but does need you to spend one Essence.

Blood Talon Ithaeur hunt totems of their targets. Once a pack's totem is gone, the pack is soon to follow. They also like to hunt totems gone rogue after the destruction or corruption of a pack, or specialize in hunting werewolves so lost to Harmony that they are trapped in Shadow. Bone Shadow Ithaeur know spirits even more than most others - but that means that expectations are high for them. If they can't hold their own against a spirit, they're an embarrassment. Hunter in Darkness Ithaeur are careful in watching their territories for problems, patrolling to track the Shadow for changes that show signs of intrusion - especiually by Hosts. Iron Master Ithaeur know that humans often strengthen and generate conceptual and emotional spirits, and they make sure to 'clean up' the nascent spirits of murder, fear and revenge left behind by successful hunts. Storm Lord Ithaeur prefer to wipe out the Claimed before the spirits take full control of their hosts - which can include killing people who seem like good candidates for Claiming, on the reasoning that it's better to die then undergo that horror, or hunting down spirits with the interest or power to possess others...though figuring out which spirits want that can be tricky.

Next time: FULL MOON, BROTHER, CAN YOU HANDLE IT

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 26, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Simian_Prime posted:

GNOMON, the magickally-sentient government surveillance computer from UA3e, feels almost like a piece of God-Machine infrastructure that found its way in the UA universe.

Are we pretending both of these aren't kinda based on CBS' Person Of Interest? Apparently in the later season they even worship the computer.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Count Chocula posted:

Are we pretending both of these aren't kinda based on CBS' Person Of Interest? Apparently in the later season they even worship the computer.

I've never followed that show closely, but if that's true, it certainly sparked my interest.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Person of Interest is a cyberpunk show that snuck onto cable TV by pretending to be a procedural drama.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

I've never followed that show closely, but if that's true, it certainly sparked my interest.

There are a couple of characters on the show who do consider the AIs superior beings to us mere humans in a way that sometimes seems like worship, yeah.

(Person of Interest is a good show, btw.)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Also the main servent of the machine is Ben Linus from LOST, which GMC alludes to with the the crank turning racist
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnQ8CD3v4g - the title sequence is a good God Machine's Eye view of the world.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hostile V posted:

So what's America like on a smaller level? Most citizens are armed on a daily basis with minors carrying knives or self defense tools. You can't buy a gun if you're a felon or been convicted of a violent crime, but the background checks are optional for private individuals who can simply buy a gun and give it to their friend. There are more people carrying open or concealed and when someone starts shooting, there are a lot of scared citizens who draw their guns and join in the gunfight without knowing what the hell is going on. Spree shootings are up, most gunfights are bloodbaths, people are dueling out west over insults and there's been a rise of homegrown militias and "American defense" types of groups. People are scared and they want to protect themselves and their loved ones and property, so they ignore the bigger picture and fight for themselves instead of joining with other citizens.

I, uh. Huh. Well this is certainly some art.

Haha, what?! It's interesting that the oppressive dictatorial dystopia that is build around superhuman supremacy led by a President who has survived a brutal assassination attempt and trampled over rights to privacy and liberty has allowed for citizens to keep privately-owned firearms to defend themselves.

Seriously, why hasn't JFK, Superior, and/or Delta Prime just disarmed the bulk of America? It doesn't make sense here given all the suppression of the rights of Deltas. It would at least give a reason for Deltas to be vigilantes prowling the streets.

Hostile V posted:

Scandinavia: Norway and Sweden have probably the best programs for Deltas on the planet. If you manifest, you go to a training camp for six months where you learn your powers from other Deltas. After the training is done, the government matches you with a job that needs their help and would be stimulating/interesting for a Delta employee. That's pretty nice! It's just a shame that Soviet Finland is kind of just looming menacingly over both countries.

Wouldn't Soviet Finland just be Russia?

Hostile V posted:

THE MIDDLE-EAST:

Iran: As decreed by the Ayatollah, Delta powers are an affront to Allah. You have the choice of leaving Iran or death. There's not a lot of Deltas who remain in Iran but the ones who do are remarkably brave/stupid.

Iraq: Because history has gone sideways, America never made any deals with Saddam Hussein or made any attempts to stop him because Kennedy couldn't spare the troops. Iraq occupied Kuwait in the 90s and they've been in the country ever since, jacking up the price of oil. The Truth figures that this is going to make a neighbor or another country angry and this might kick off another war.

Israel: Israel believes that Deltas are a gift from Yahweh so it's the duty of all good citizens to inform the government and use their powers to serve God and country. Being a Delta is treated like permanent military duty instead of the regular service all Israelis must serve and it's common for Deltas who practice Judaism to leave their home country for Israel when they manifest.

Why is there even an Ayatollah? If Superior and Delta Prime can influence world events, why would even the Iranian Islamic revolution even take hold? That's something that Alan Moore even brings up in Watchmen, with the Comedian returning home from rescuing hostages from Iran, presumably by crushing the gently caress out of the revolutionaries for the Shah.

And why would Iran even think of the Deltas as being halah? Iran is relatively lenient when it comes to it's version of following religious doctrine, compared to the Wahhabist Saudi Arabia: it's the only Middle Eastern country outside of Israel that maintains a condom factory and the Ayatollah himself sponsored sexual reassignment for trans people (not that it's that progressive, since it's also an alternative to execution for gay people). I mean, why does Israel view Deltas as a gift from god and not Iran? Israel is filled with the same religious conservatards as Iran, they just happen to pray to God in a different way. I'm guessing it's clear where the author's politics lie.

And, before we made deals with Saddam Hussein, he was Russia's son of a bitch. He nationalized the oil industry and pursued socialist policies when he was running the Ba'ath party prior to seizing control of Iraq, which made him an enemy of the US. In fact, the 15-year Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation he signed with the Soviets was the reason the US started backing Reza Pahlavi in Iran, because him allying with the Russians upset the whole regional security sphere we were setting up. So, we would either still be backing him if the Shah lost power or his head would be on a Delta Prime pike for even thinking of trying to corner the oil supply.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Wouldn't Soviet Finland just be Russia?

They could be left separate instead of being folded in like the Baltics.

But really, for a game that's all about how the existence of superheroes have altered history to turn the world into a dystopia it doesn't seem to know that much about it. Ending World War II in 1943 should result in a completely different looking Europe- the D-Day landings hadn't even happened, and a suddenly decapitated Germany is still going to do a lot of damage before it surrenders. If the Soviet Union still exists, what does the Eastern Bloc look like? What happened in Korea, and how did the Chinese Civil War change with Japan being defeated two years earlier? What about Cuba, that seems like something superheroes could have easily affected.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 26, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Also the main servent of the machine is Ben Linus from LOST, which GMC alludes to with the the crank turning racist
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnQ8CD3v4g - the title sequence is a good God Machine's Eye view of the world.

That actually looks rad, will check it out.

The God Machine really seems like it could be control-R swapped with the Bavarian Illuminati from Shea and Wilson's book and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Midjack posted:

The God Machine really seems like it could be control-R swapped with the Bavarian Illuminati from Shea and Wilson's book and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

I need to run that.
Given its huge fjord profile in geek culture, has there been an Illuminatus! RPG? I remember fjord all the White Wolf and LARP kids at my school carried Discordian pope cards.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Count Chocula posted:

I need to run that.
Given its huge fjord profile in geek culture, has there been an Illuminatus! RPG? I remember fjord all the White Wolf and LARP kids at my school carried Discordian pope cards.

You are the first person I have seen in fifteen years to try to use fjord-ing as a joke with a straight face.

And isn't it fnord anyway?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

I need to run that.

fnord

Steve Jackson did an Illuminati book for GURPS and the Illuminati card games, plus the eye in the pyramid is SJG's mascot so they reference Illuminatus! nonstop. Delta Green, On the Edge, and Conspiracy X may also provide ideas though Con X is more like an X-Files RPG than a mystical conspiracy game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe the gun'sbrasting thing in Dystopia America there is because the superheroes realize that they have nothing to fear from the petty iron of the plebians and as a result let them have whatever shooting tools they want. All they're going to do is murder one another, after all. Of course, I gather this Facade dude is not a Superman-type, so who knows.

e: you could also get some low-key sassy commentary if the general public is given a feeling of false empowerment by ready access to guns :v: This reminds me a little of the Alternate Earth books for GURPS, which I might examine at some point, and which had this annoying trend (at least in the second book) of valorizing Austrian economics, even if it wasn't really clearly stated how much was "here is the name of an economics dude who is approximately period appropriate" vs. how much was "these monarchists have the Right Idea due to the Superior Ideas of Lord Hayek."

Of course, the most technically advanced and luxurious of the Alternate Earths settings was the world where the Global Caliphate had come to pass, so who knows.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 26, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Daeren posted:

You are the first person I have seen in fifteen years to try to use fjord-ing as a joke with a straight face.

And isn't it fnord anyway?

It was but autocorrect changed it and I felt it fit in with the Discordian spirit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rahu are warriors. Every werewolf is a hunter, but not all of them are warriors. Where the others are experts in how to conduct a hunt, the Rahu is an expert in ending it. They charge into battle, never retreating until they or the prey is dead. If the pack has done its job right, the quarry is wounded, fearful and ready to die. If they haven't...well, the fight's harder, but the Rahu's going to face it anyway. Rahu do not fight for glory - that's Cahalith. Rahu fight because it is right to fight. They fight because they are Rahu. Tautology? Maybe. But it's fact, it's pure and simple - and Purity is what Rahu long for. That's not to say they're all moral beacons or fair fighters. They can be devious, underhanded and vicious. They just prefer to fight rather than murder. A Rahu wants to face a foe in battle, even if the field is rigged to blow. They want the prey to know they're dying, and why.

Rahu have an almost instinctive knowledge of the Oath of the Moon. They may not be able to recite its tenets, but they know them in the bone. They understand that battle is simple, pure. They are proud of that. In fact, they rarely leave the midnset of battle. Every interaction is framed as conflict. It can make talking to them irritating - they try to win the conversation, they use all the skill they have in friendly games, they shoot back with terrible fervor when it comes to insults and trash talk. They will not lose except against a worthy foe. The pack, at least, is something of an exception. The focus on Purity that drives Rahu to constant conflict also keeps them from fighting packmates often. Some do have trouble remembering they don't have to be in charge all the time, but eventually they learn that being forceful doesn't make them right - just loud. Some Rahu are tacticians and fight coordinators, while others just fall to Kuruth and tell everyone else to stay out of the way. Reliance on brute force and rage, however, can lead to disaster - and Rahu rarely learn except by experience. They don't trust lessons that aren't earned by hardship, and often do not trust gifts, either, if they don't have to defeat the giver in some way.

Before the First Change, Rahu were not necessarily violent, but they are almost always confrontational. Arrogant, domineering, controlling, competitive - it takes a lot of forms. Their FirsT change, though, is always violent. Every First Change is, but for a Rahu, violence is the soul and center of it. Maybe they fought to defend someone they loved or killed a perceived threat, but it's always about fighting, dominating and killing.

Stereotypes posted:

Cahalith: It's not about the stories they tell. It's about making them tell the stories.
Rahu know the Cahalith want to have their place at the center of the story - and also know that desire for glory is why they can't. They care more about being famous than getting the job done. This view is not always accurate, though - there's plenty of Rahu who care a lot about their own glory - but Rahu still hold it.
Elodoth: Wait until I get to the corner, then make me Rage.
The ability of an Elodoth to start and end Kuruth lets them wield a Rahu like a blade. The problem is that one Elodoth can't do it more than once a fight, so the decision about how to use the power is very tactical. Elodoth and Rahu do not always agree on when it is best.
Irraka: Don't kill them all. Leave me two or three.
Irraka and Rahu are opposites. One is assassin, the other warrior. And for all that, the Rahu usually has a great deal of respect for the Irraka. In many ways, an Irraka is better and more efficient and killing - but no Rahu would ever admit to that. Equal, maybe. Maybe.
Ithaeur: Just keep them solid for a minute. That's all I need.
Rahu often hate fighting spirits - they don't fight right, they don't die right. Worse still are the ones that can attack mentally. The Ithaeur are, to Rahu, charms against spirit-foes. When the Ithaeur fails in this duty, the Rahu tends to be very upset.

The Hunter's Aspect of the Rahu is Dominant. Their prey want to fight. They don't know they're going to die - they think they can win. They believe they can handle anything. The innate Gifts of the Rahu are Dominance, Full Moon and Strength. Their Auspice Skills are Brawl, Intimidation and Survival, and their Renown is Purity. Their innate power is the ability to ignore injury and distraction. Once per session, you can ignore the effects of any Conditions or Tilts hindering you for two turns. They return after that, though.

Blood Talon Rahu are the most iconic of the tribe - loud, violent and warlike. Bone Shadow Rahu are tacticians more often than beasts of rage. Fighting spirits takes prepwork, after all. Hunter in Darkness Rahu protect their territory fiercely. They hate trespassers and vandals - regardless of if they knew what they were doing. It's not about teaching a lesson, it's about holding the territory, and mercy cannot be given there. Iron Master Rahu tend to be soldiers, cops or athletes - whatever reflects 'warrior' in their human society. Some cope better than others with adding 'werewolf pack hunter' on top of that. Storm Lord Rahu fight to the end, always. They know any wounds they get will heal, as long as they live, but defeat will shame them forever. Besides, defeat to a Claimed is dangerous - Uratha can be Claimed, after all, and that is the greatest fear of any Storm Lord Rahu.

Next time: One of the Tribe

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Maybe the gun'sbrasting thing in Dystopia America there is because the superheroes realize that they have nothing to fear from the petty iron of the plebians and as a result let them have whatever shooting tools they want. All they're going to do is murder one another, after all. Of course, I gather this Facade dude is not a Superman-type, so who knows.

e: you could also get some low-key sassy commentary if the general public is given a feeling of false empowerment by ready access to guns :v:

I had thought that same thing but, as a satire, it was something that was done better and way more obvious in Ray Winninger's Underground. I think it was something I touched on in my review of the game, the developers got the appeal of big iron but also viewed it as an almost self-destructive quality that was subject to manipulation by the elite: the gun book that's not really a gun book "Fully Strapped Always Packed" has a meeting transcript of some gun manufacturer execs and an advertising executive from "Demo Fear", specialists in capitalizing on fear-based marketing, discussing marketing guns to scared housewives and kids, up to including .22 ammo in Happy Meals from the cannibal fast food franchise Tastee Ghoul, which produces this handy infographic to describe where everyone fits in the Circle of Life...

And that's just one example. There's loads where Underground apes NRA slogans juxtaposed with the image of an emotionally-crippled, 'roided-out maniac fondling a long arm, and parodies of gun ads and culture, including a NRA-catered Bible narrated by Charlton Heston. It's just another element of the free market libertarianism gone mad that makes up Underground's America.

But here, with Brave New World, I don't get that. It's clear we're supposed to view Delta Prime, JFK's America and this society as being oppressive, but for a government that's controlling the media narrative and making people's lives hell so much there's a resistance group and Texas secession is not only possible but morally correct instead of being a pipe dream for sovcits, it's weird that Facade's/JFK's America respects the 2nd Amendment while trashing the rest of the Bill of Rights. Especially when you have to register your Delta powers, no matter how useless in combat they may be, but guns don't have to be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

The whole point of the Delta/Alpha divide is that Deltas are the superheroes who still have to worry about your puny bullets, so, no. Doesn't really fly, especially since one of the classes is "I can shoot people. With guns!"

(It always strikes me as missing the point when games like this make "Gun-man!" a viable archtype, and then put it as having to use super-powers to be Good At Guns. A big part of the appeal to playing as Hawkeye or Batman or The Punisher is that you're in a world of GODLIKE SUPERHUMANS, but you're the baseline who somehow keeps up by being Just That Good. If you need to have superpowers to be a superhero, you'd be much better off getting, you know, actual superpowers.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

First four seasons on Netflix. It takes until episode 7 to really hit its stride, and then it been gathering speed ever since.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The whole "everyone in America carries guns and there are literal high noon duels in the streets" is in large part what I was thinking of when I said Brave New World was one of the dullest games I've ever read. Maybe dull isn't the right word...perfunctory? Stuff like this is just kind of slopped in there without any real thought or care. There's literally a dueling culture in 1999 America? Guns are all over the place and the average person goes around open carrying? So what's this mean for Joe and Jane Average in dystopian dictatorship America? What's this mean for you the GM and your games? The only real answer is just a big ol' shrug, like yeah, Matt Forbeck had all these disparate ideas but no real way to connect them into a cohesive or interesting whole...so he just sort of threw them in anyways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

First four seasons on Netflix. It takes until episode 7 to really hit its stride, and then it been gathering speed ever since.

Probably not on Netflix Canada. :sigh:

Another funny thing about the God-Machine is that it's basically the Gangster Computer God.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I can't state how much I like Underground and how Brave New World makes Underground look so much better in comparison (despite Underground having weird-rear end mechanics). I would describe the environment of Brave New World as rote. poo poo's bad so everyone is packing, nukes are flying, it's the end of the world and occasionally there's a good glimmer of real-world politics peeking through. I would defend the scared Americans carrying guns and forming militias, but ultimately we're seeing things 90% accurately through mechanics and fluff so we know that the majority of Deltas don't have any actual armor powers or defensive abilities and mechanically guns are a good choice for weapons. So I would say they carry guns because most Deltas don't have any defense but that would likely be suppressed information so instead it comes off as desperation. Also I guess if you want to be technical, the Bill of Rights doesn't really apply so you might not have a right to bear arms but there's nothing saying you can't either so who knows? It's not well written, that much is clear.

Underground rules and I'd love to play that setting in another set of mechanics. It's satirical and irreverent but it still has its own consistent internal logic and that makes it great.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Comics blogs are starting to reevaluate the 90s and it's terrible reputation. Brave New World is a reminder of why it got that reputation. It's a grimdark point-missing of Moore and Miller and other British Invasion guys like Howard Chaykin, topped off with horrible art. It's like Alan Moore's quote about all the comics based on his bad mood.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

NEW POWER PACKAGES

Is the person in the car upside-down so they're right-side up?

COVENANT

Pencils up, boys and girls, because it’s time for METAPLOT! The Covenant was started by the first Pope (Peter I) to act as a bulwark of faithful against the evil of the world to protect the helpless. Not metaphorical evil (like the banality of it), we’re talking like werewolves from the Germanic tribes or literal demons. Up until the 1920s, the Covenant was the best kept secret of the Catholic church, directly taking orders from the Pope and meting out violence when necessary and operating behind the scenes of history. This is never elaborated before. It’s an ancient order, okay?

I don't even know.

Then Deltas start showing up in the 1920s and Pope Pious XI shrugs and says “alright so they’re clearly not going away, this is a fact of life, let’s tell the world about the Covenant”. So they did and more people became Catholic because “we have a means to directly protect you from evil” is a good sales pitch. And then they didn’t really change anything because it’s the Catholic Church, they only change things if they really have to. Then everything gets messed up in the 1960s and the church remains quiet on everyone oppressing the Deltas and some people are like “okay this is hosed up. Why aren’t you making a public statement about this?”

"EAT CROSS, HIPPIE!"

Thus began the Schism. The Schism consists of Catholics who, in 1968, officially broke away from the Vatican’s control to nonviolently protest the DRA. The Schism is a different religion than Catholicism, taking in anyone who’ll join from any religion. The current leaders of the Schism are Martin Luther King Jr., Sister Mary Victoria and Cardinal Joseph O’Conner. Officially it’s considered a heresy by the Vatican and the Pope’s word is that he’s more than willing to talk to the leaders of the Schism to understand their motives. Unofficially it’s considered to be the religion of Defiance and it’s a banned religion in a lot of countries like the US. In America, the Pope doesn’t really approve of everything going on and the Covenant is tolerated as long as they have Primer escorts and don’t gently caress around. JFK in turn isn’t entirely sure he wants to gently caress with the Church for multiple reasons, one of which being that the Pope himself is JFK’s confessor.

What about other religions? Well y’know you gotta handle religion respectfully (even though the book says that the Catholic record of religious tolerance is spotty at best) and who knows, maybe the other religions have their own equivalent of the Covenant? You think it up, I’m gonna get the gently caress away from fluff and into the actual members of the Covenant. Oh also Bargainers and the Covenant don’t really get along even if they’re friendly so they get +5 to resisting Persuasion rolls made by Bargainers.

Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone.

Covenant Deltas have a bunch of bonuses and there’s no difference between a Catholic and Schismastic Delta. The first is that they can resist the Draft if they’re registered by claiming conscientious objector on religious grounds and JFK is reluctant to question that. There’s also Covenant Martial Arts which roll of Spirit and come in Barehanded, Blade and Club but you still need Strength for damage. They also get access to the Covenant Crossbow, a belt-fed crossbow with “disintegrating belts” that automatically clear the loading port.

Covenant Deltas get Covenant Powers and in order to be played you need to meet the following requirements: Academia (Occult) 2, Covenant Martial Arts 2, Faith 3, Language (Latin) 2, Profession (Clergy) 3, Duty (Covenant, Ordained), Patron (Covenant) and Registered if you’re a Delta Covenant which implies that you can play a regular-rear end person instead of a Delta which is…different. For Tricks they get:

That's totally a Mimic totem.

Blessed: Two extra successes on a Faith roll can be spent to get you a spare Delta Point. Then you can’t use this trick again until all of their points are spent.

Divine Inspiration: Three extra successes on a Faith roll can be used once a session for there to be serendipitous events that give you a nudge towards a clue but only if you look into the clue, like stopping to help someone who ends up babbling something circumstantial that’s a hint.

COVENANT POWERS: You can have one of these powers for every point in the Faith skill and you can only use one power at a time. Unless otherwise stated, the powers last 3 hours max and 3 full actions to trigger and they’re all TN 5.
  • Aura of Righteousness: Every success gives +1 to Persuasion rolls but to get the power going you have to audibly pray for your conversation partners or offer a little sermon.
  • Divine Mercy: The poor man Healer’s healing. Boost your Healing skill by +1 for every success on a Faith roll before making an attempt to heal someone with the same sort of power as a Healer. So pop Divine Mercy, get Healing buffed then heal someone the same way the healing power works.
  • God’s Will: As long as it’s maintained it keeps evil beings away, evil being as defined by the GM. It’s time for the return of the “we’re assuming you’re using miniatures” unit of measurement, inches! The power keeps threats an inch away, 1 inch=2 yards, so it keeps enemies six feet away. Not too bad, really. Very situational.
  • Manna: Once per day, create a day’s worth of food and drink from a single source of food and drink per success. Basically it’s like when Jesus turned the fish and loaves into more fish and loaves. Eating this food adds +3 to all healing rolls for a day. I would give this misplaced D&D spell a pass if it wasn’t for the healing boost, also the fact that you can just clone food. You can literally have your cake and eat it too!
  • Might of God: Add +1 Strength per success. 5+ successes increase your size by 1, giving you -2 to Initiative and making you Obvious. If your size increases, you take 1 wound of massive damage when you come down from being swole. However, when the extra Strength fades, you can ignore any wounds that would have been absorbed by the extra Strength. See below for an example.

• Shield of God: Get Armor 1/- for every success.
  • Wrath of God: Call down a bolt of fire from above as a ranged attack. Every success adds 1d6+1 massive damage and it bypasses non-power based armor. If the attack misses, check for deviation. The stats are really good, honestly. Rate of fire 1, Quickness 1, Range 10.

I protect the Church while the Master is away.

Thoughts on the Covenant: Okay all of the holy warrior metaplot can just go gently caress right off, let’s ignore that terrible business except for the fact that they don’t like Bargainers. The Covie (I’m going to call them Covie) is actually not bad! It’s way more functional than the Bargainer and it has versatility without being spread too thin. It feels like a weaker version of the D&D Cleric inasmuch as it can do a bunch of situational buffing and tricks but the impressive thing is that it makes a healing character substantially more playable. On-demand massive damage holy fire is a nice ability, clone some Subway sandwiches and Cokes then pop your healing ability to help your allies, and Might of God is a pretty good wound-be-gone health buff. You don’t need too many of these powers to have a good range of team-friendly abilities, you’re able to fill roles without needing to mimic other Deltas and you’re not outright broken. Plus holy poo poo you can actually level up your abilities when you level up because when your Faith skill changes, you get access to a new power! The tricks suck though, I won’t mince words. They’re not good.

The premade Covie has derpy art. He looks like someone badly MSPainted his duds onto a stock model. Aside from that, I would change his skills and stats and tricks. I’d pretty much redo everything about him except for Faith 5. His power choice is good though.

DEFENDER

Welp it’s time for these to be simple explanations of powers again. Defenders are able to project energy shields at a fixed size. Attacks from the inside can go out and behind the shield can fit three people including the Defender.

This is not Defender art but eh same principle sort of.

Defenders get Energy Shield, which has Armor 20/- which is nice and beefy and protects from all frontal attacks. For Tricks they get:

Shield Attack: Use an extra success on a barehanded close combat attack to hit someone with the shield for Strength+5 damage. Without an extra success, it just deals regular punching damage.

Turnabout : Use an extra success on a Dodge against a ranged attack (and ranged attacks only) while using your shield to deflect it at a target of your choice. No matter how strong it is, it doesn’t penetrate and you can use your Dodge roll as an attack to redirect the whole damage to someone else (like the shooter).

Officially the shield just protects against attacks from the front but I prefer the interpretation of "wherever your projecting hand is pointing".

Thoughts on the Defender: Not bad. The 20 Armor is quite good and the big selling point of the tricks is a free attack even when you’re defending. You’re very limited with what you can do, unfortunately, and that’s one of the big problems of the Defender. You will be projecting your shield in front of you and advancing with a gun in hand at all times. At least you don’t need to roll anything to shield it up.

Not much to say about the premade character, she’s pretty functional and she’s got a good spread of abilities and skills. I’d shift around some of the skills but she’s playable so that’s good.

GENIUS

The Genius is smart. Like, super smart you guys. That’s it. That’s all they have. I mean, they also have the implicit benefit of being drat near undetectable from most other Deltas short of a DNA test because sometimes people are just smart.

Geniuses get +5 to all Smarts rolls. For Tricks they get:

Stroke of Brilliance: Three extra successes on a raw Smarts roll can let you have some moment of insight relevant to what’s at hand. It’s up to the GM to provide it but it should involve what’s going on and only stuff that’s been overlooked or missed. In short, spend three successes to ask for a hint from the GM. It can only be used once per session and if you’re not missing anything then you know you’re not missing anything.

I’ve Got a Plan: Spend an extra success on a Tactics roll to evaluate a plan and find a hole in it. For every extra success, the GM must give them a solution for one hole. The Genius is privy to a slice of the GM’s knowledge for this Trick, but the solution does not have to be the best answer, it just has to be an answer. Instead of “knock out the guard when he turns around the corner at the end of the corridor”, the GM can tell you “kill the guard when his back is turned and hide the body”. There is NO limit to how often you can use this, but the GM should basically be wary of anyone trying to cheese any danger repeatedly with this. Also the plan may be perfect but then someone fails a roll and it all goes to poo poo.

I got nothing, sorry. I dislike this class heavily.

Thoughts on the Genius: ugggggggggh gently caress

So you get +5 to all Smart things (which is okay at best) and you get the ability to metagame if you invest in it. When combat rolls around none of that is worth a drat. Maybe if you’re in a more cerebral/espionage-focused campaign, this would be a good choice. Otherwise you can’t do much besides Be Smart At All Times and be only as powerful as your body and abilities are. I, personally, am used to good uses of smart characters. Rocket Age’s Man/Woman of Science lets you sub your Science skill in to do other things but at a cost and that’s fun and it gives you more functionality. This is just a real depiction of being wildly out of your depth in most situations in a country where everyone is armed and terrified of terrorism.

On the premade character: see above. No real survivability because he has 5 Smarts and everything else he’s dabbled in lightly.

HOT SHOT

In the Dead Rising games, being able to mix liquids and foods together to make drinks is a handy ability that lets you buff Frank or Chuck. One of the mixed drinks is called Spitfire and in the case of Frank his spit becomes a deadly projectile while Chuck hawks a flaming loogie that ignites zombies. I'm telling you this because Brave New World's Hot Shot is the exact same thing as Chuck Green expectorating flames, just ten years earlier.

The Hot Shot can spit actual fire that deals massive damage. As a secondary power, the Hot Shot is completely immune to damage from fire, heat or smoke. For Tricks they get:

Burn, Baby, Burn: The fire ignites the target (if possible) with an extra success on an attack. This continues to deal 5d6 massive damage per round until the target is extinguished.

Flaming Hot: Spend an action to increase bonus damage dealt by 2 up to +10. An extra success on an attack is needed for the flaming hot bonus to take effect when you release.

Buddy what the hell is wrong with that body of yours?

Thoughts on the Hot Shot: Massive damage is always nice because it softens up the whole target and if they don't have full-body armor it gets into the cracks. The spitfire attack isn't particularly bad but you really do need BBB to get a DOT advantage in combat that the other classes are somewhat lacking in. Plus, being on fire requires at least one character to devote time to putting out the fire and anything that eats enemy actions in the combat economy is handy. The immunity to fire and smoke inhalation is a neat bonus as well. You're a one-trick combat pony but you have your attacks out of the way and can focus on whatever else you want to be, which I appreciate. Just make sure you get some points in Shooting and Dodge. I could take or leave Flaming Hot.

I don't have much to say about the premade character except for the fact that Bull's Eye is useless because the attack always does massive damage so targeting body parts doesn't matter in the slightest. He should have something else. Also maybe take those points out of gambling.

SCREAMER

YELLIN'

The Screamer has sonic pipes and can use them if they put their mind to it. Otherwise they have a generally lovely voice.

The Sonic Blast power always targets the head and never targets any other part of the body. The attack, on paper, deals 5d6+5 damage but because it always targets the head it actually deals 7d6+5 damage. Earplugs provide 10/- armor against sonic blasts at the cost of deafening the wearer. Otherwise there's no protection short of being completely encased in armor (like power armor, unfortunately). As a secondary power, Screamers are completely immune to all sonic attacks. For Tricks they get:

Shatter: Use extra successes to shatter any glass within six feet of the Screamer, increasing the range by 6 feet for every success.

Rattle Brain: Use three extra successes on a Sonic Blast to deal stun damage. Spend the three extra successes, roll the damage and then double it and apply it as stun.

The Scream Lines are vital to show that her power is working.

Thoughts on the Screamer: We have the first nonlethal option for power use! Three successes is pretty loving high of a cost to pay! To deal nonlethal damage, you have to have a minimum result of at least 20. That's just gross. It keys off Shooting and if you put 5 in Shooting there's nowhere to go but up, but you still have to roll at least three explosions to scream someone into submission nonlethally because otherwise it's plain Jane cranial damage. How loving weird is that. Lower that number to 2 successes at the very least, geeze. Aside from that, I like how it auto-targets heads and Shatter could be a handy utility ability but it also might be more trouble than it's worth.

Alright premade character why the gently caress do you have Bull's Eye. Is it for that gun you have? C'mon. C'mon premade character. Also good god that outfit, where does that kevlar vest go? Finally your quote is ridiculous, goodnight.

SHRINKER

Get tiny and keep all of your stats and skills and abilities as a little body. Also your clothes but nothing else. If you want a tiny gun, tough poo poo.

TINY FIIIIIIIIGHT

The Shrinker can shrink up to a minimum height of one inch in one action or return to their full height or anything between, which is an actual inch, not a hexmap inch. It would be funny to me if they meant the map inch because that means that the Shrinker can become a minimum height of six feet. Every point of reduction of size gives you +1 to Stealth and Armor +2/- because of flesh/bone density. So going from Size 5 to 4 gives them +1 Stealth and Armor 2/-. The big upside of shrinking is that your Strength stays the same so despite massive damage applying if you get stepped on at size 1 you still have full-size wound threshold. Being tiny also adds to the TN to shoot you. For Tricks they get:

Growth Charge: When you're smaller and brawling with someone, you can grow as a free action and add +2 damage to the attack for every point of size you grow.

Disappear: Spend an extra success on a Dodge to make the attacker lose track of you unless they use a full action or you hit them.

drat shame she can't have a tiny gun.

Thoughts on the Shrinker: Okay so the Shrinker is kinda loving broken and here is why. As is written, size 1 is the size of a baby/bowling ball/cat. I know zero babies, cats or bowling balls as big as an inch. There is no actual relative size for being an inch tall which means either A: you can never be smaller than a cat or B: you have to invent new size ratings to go smaller. That's the bad part of the broken parts because here is my shameful secret: there are still loving Geocities/Tripod-era Brave New World fansites still up on the internet that I currently can't access because their Oocities hosting isn't working that well. And we're talking old 90s fandom that still exists and one of them actually has errata corrections from e-mail correspondence with Matt Forbeck. So at the moment, I cannot say which is supposed to be the case.

Here's what I can tell you: because you're keeping all of your stats and traits even while small, you can still go your full pace, you can still punch with your full strength, you can still jump as high as you normally could. So go ahead and be tiny and stealthy forever. I would prefer if you could keep the items in your clothes with you at your size, but that's probably because they don't want you to be able to stab a man to death with a tiny dagger for game balance.

The premade Shrinker is cool and statted well and that's great.

SNEAK

Be stealthy and see in the dark. That's it.

Sneaks get +5 to Stealth and the ability to turn on nightvision. However, if nightvision is active and you're exposed to light, TN 10 Strength check or be stunned until you make the roll. For Tricks they get:

In Plain Sight: Extra success on a Stealth roll and standing still in a shadow lets you add +10 to your last stealth roll until you move or make an action. This doesn't work on people who can see you before you use stealth but if they blink or turn around you can use it.

Radar: An extra success on a perception roll lets you keep track of everything around you even if you can't see them. Doesn't work in noisy environments.

This guy is wearing the shirt as the "I survived Catholic school" kid earlier. So either this actually is that kid from earlier, or my theory which is that he killed that kid and is impersonating him and he's shushing you so you won't blow his cover. Either way, he looks creepy and gross.

Thoughts on the Sneak: The Shrinker can do this as well as you can and they can actively do more than be a creepy shadowbound lurker. The Shrinker is cool and is my friend. This is incredibly situational and really the big benefit is nightvision but it still has that Drow light blindness attached to it and that's annoying. I don't like the Sneak. You're worse than the Genius to me, The Sneak.

Also your art is crazy creepy, you look like a Looney Tunes reject.

TELEKINETIC

With a glance you're movin' poo poo with your miiiiiiind. Requires a brand new skiiiiill. That's pretty much iiiiiiit.

Telekinetics have Telekinetic Martial Arts which rolls off Smarts and deals Smarts damage coming in Bareminded (ugh), Blade and Club styles. You can move things up to Size 3 up to twice your Pace. For Tricks they get:

Fast Mind: Extra success on an attack roll can let you make another attack at +5 TN for the next attack. The TN stacks and this can keep rolling until you miss or don't get another extra success.

Mental Shield: Use an extra success on a dodge to get 10/- armor for all attacks for the rest of the round.

Better bullet theft through psychic shenanigans.

Thoughts on the Telekinetic: The Telekinetic isn't bad but it kinda suffers from Skill Bloat. It also doesn't make it clear what "Bareminded" is so I guess it's just mental punches which is probably the best option for Maximum Subtlety by throwing invisible punches. The reactive shield is a nice touch and so is Fast Mind. They suffer from a lack of damage output, though; you're limited to raw rolls of your Smarts.

Not much to say about the premade character. I like her tie mask and I like her personality and Fast Learner is a bad Trick, she should have taken Bull's Eye or Extra Damage.

TELEPORTER

Ohhhh man this is a fun Delta.

Teleporters can teleport on a Navigation roll (TN 5) and can teleport 10 inches (60 feet) for every success on a roll. That's line of sight; if you can't see it but have been there, you need an extra success to go there. You flat out can't teleport to a place you've never been to. Failing a teleportation teleports you into an occupied space and ejects you into the nearest open area and deals 5d6+10 damage that bypasses armor. So put 5 points in Navigation and never worry about telefragging yourself. You can also teleport reflexively on a dodge. For Tricks they get:

Teleport Friend: When you teleport, you can bring one person you're touching per extra success. Make a Navigation roll per passenger so they don't get telefragged.

Teleport Foe: Touch an enemy in melee to forcibly teleport them wherever you want. Into the floor or ceiling, perhaps. Yes this damages enemies.

The look and fashion of a man prepared to go anywhere.

Thoughts on the Teleporter: The Porter rules. An attack that always bypasses armor is great! You can gently caress around faster than you can normally move! You can just bypass poo poo the GM has planned! The Porter rules and is fun and the main downside is that teleporting costs an action and so does teleporting enemies. It's not a very economical ability so First Move is a good choice. Alternately you could teleport around with shotguns and explode them with point-blank damage or drop grenades.

I like this guy's outfit and his personality! He is also appropriate statted and gently caress you get rid of Bull's Eye and take First Move instead.

TOUGH

Take hits and keep surviving. When the going gets tough, I come up with a better joke.

Not Tough art, just art.

The Tough gets 20/- armor forever at all times and a modified version of Fast Healer that lets them make a full-body healing roll every 8 hours. For Tricks they get:

Catch Attack: Use an extra dodge success to catch any attack and instantly negate any damage. Bullet? Pluck it out of the air. Melee weapon? You can instantly make a Strength roll to disarm the enemy. They don't say anything about grenades or Blaster energy but the game doesn't say I can't catch those so gently caress you I'm catching those. You also get +5 to Intimidate for the rest of the encounter.

No Fear: This requires you to buy a t-shirt or a skateboard I haven't seen since high school. Use an extra success on a barehanded roll to deal Strength+5 damage because you have no fear of using your body recklessly to attack someone.

Local Teen loving Invincible.

Thoughts on the Tough: The Tough joins the Scrapper and Bouncer as a versatile melee class, being way more survivable than the rest by eating damage for breakfast. I like the Tough. I like that reflexively they can just devour an attempt to attack them and throw it right in the trash. It's a melee focused class, but it would also make an effective give-no-fucks ranged attacker just walking through a hail of bullets. 20 Armor against everything is really good.

The premade character is good, I'd just lower Spirit and bump Speed because Speed rules everything around me. I like how he's loving up his clothing being a dumb showoff.

AWARDS

Most Likely To Kill A Room Full Of People Without Breaking A Sweat: Tie between the Hot Shot and the Screamer. Honorable Mention: a Covenant with the ability to call down the Wrath.

Best Battlefield Control/Exploitation: Hands down the Teleporter with the Shrinker coming in as a close second by being tiny and still able to run at full speed.

Most Pigeonholed Into One Job: Ugh, the Sneak. I hate you, the Sneak. Coming in second is the Defender. The energy shield is nice but that's really all you can do. Also I guess the Genius but I hate the Sneak more than the Genius. At least the Genius can spark a fight with the GM.

Melee Class Most Affected By Dex-Focus in Game Engine: Tough call. The Shrinker has a melee bonus with growth-punching, but I would say the Tough in this case. The game desperately wants the Tough to be a melee badass despite melee being the less effective course of action but at least he can roll with the pain. He gets off much lighter.

Peak 90s: Either the Hot Shot for flaming spit being ridiculous or the Covenant for being a sincere attempt at a badass religious assassin type with lovely metaplot. It's a tie.

Most Cribbed Directly From Deadlands: The Covenant for being on a mission from God and endowed with Blessings, as it were.

Best Optional Combat Rule Shenanigans: The Teleporter for telefragging enemies. Alternately, the Defender's ability to redirect enemy projectiles into their allies.

Most Broken Class (Not In A Good Way): The Shrinker, technically, for its minimum size being kind of wacky. I don't like it when homebrew rules or e-mailing the developers is a necessity to answer a question. This might change to Nobody if I find out the errata answer.

NEXT TIME: setting secrets and thoughts on Ravaged Planet.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Disintegrating belts are a real thing. If you think of the belt as a chain of pockets each containing a bullet, a conventional belt the bullet gets taken out and the belt gets fed through, but in a disintegrating belt when the bullet is removed the pocket comes apart completely.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Well hey, I learned a thing today! Thanks!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, in this universe where superheroes first appeared in WWI... the Catholic church had a secret society of Dracula hunters dating back to Rome. Who they never told anyone about. For Reasons.

I can't even begin to list my problems with this concept. Like, in a standard Cape setting, fine. There's a lot of crazy poo poo floating around, and it doesn't make that little sense to have church monster hunters. I mean, the Vatican officially sanctioned an exorcism group a couple years back. If there are Draculas, and they have the traditional weaknesses, there's going to be a response. And if this was a Dracula centric setting, then hell yes. Bring on the malleus maleficarum. Even if the setting goes past "Well, who knows?" to a hard "No." on the God issue, major religious groups have reason to object to supernatural monsters chewing their flocks, and enough influence through the ages to do something about it. (Admittedly, the something may be 'kill any witnesses that can prove we're full of poo poo', depending on the setting, but, you know, it's still an influence on history when you do that.)

But previously in the setting, the Big Thing is superheroes. They arrived in WWI. They reshaped WWII. They're the big Thing in the world. There being Draculas since time immemorial just shits all over that idea.

Also, the Pope is JFK's personal confessor? A schism based entirely on the church's lack of outright condemnation for one dictatorship? (And the schism is co-lead by a Baptist, because, you know. All actual theological debates are much less important for a religious organization than how you feel about superheros.)

Cripes. Even by the lovely worldbuilding standards already on display this is dogshit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kai Tave had it right- Forbeck had all these clashing, usually thematically similar ideas that he wanted in single game because it was his dream project, making them work together was secondary.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
One of the reasons why I decided to scrub the Catholic Church from my own 17th century project is that elfgame stuff that deals with the Catholic Church (or the Not-Catholic Church, like in 7th Sea) tends to be a load of crap.

The worst offender is probably the never-saw-print UA book about the Catholic mage hunters.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How do you feel about the 40k treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How do you feel about the 40k treatment?

I don't actually know anything about 40k except through general internet osmosis.