Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Halloween Jack posted:

You guys have a bit in there near the beginning where you've dubbed over yourselves for about 30 seconds. Maybe it's just Stitcher, though.

Yeah I noticed that as well on the mp3 version that I downloaded and was kind of confused about and just assume it was either a mistake or some kind of meta joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loxbourne posted:

Is anyone else getting an incredibly creepy stalker-justifications vibe from the Beast stuff?

It reads like a serial killer apologist's screed - "no see actually I'm really the good guy because".

Yes. Very much so. Because the game admits, both in and out of character, that Beasts no longer serve a purpose and the idea of "Teaching Lessons" is entirely self justification on their part.

The part that makes no sense is the way that this affects Heroes. High Integrity Heroes are the ones who accept it when the dream tells them "Oh yeah no he deserves it". Where as Low Integrity Heroes are the ones who rail against it. Even if they're doing it for the wrong reasons they're still doing a good thing. And even the most deluded Hero would eventually realize that saving people and keeping his minions alive brings him greater fame and glory. I mean poo poo the Primordial Dream actively rewards them for killing beasts. The system is broken and no longer deserves to exist and the game is demonizing the people trying to fix it.

Kavak posted:

Have we passed the part where it uses actual documented child abuse techniques as examples?

Because that was the point it went from "Matt McFarland is a stubborn rear end in a top hat who cannot see the gaping flaws in his work" to "Matt McFarland has some serious goddamn issues."

Yeah that's the character creation chapter I believe.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I noticed that as well on the mp3 version that I downloaded and was kind of confused about and just assume it was either a mistake or some kind of meta joke.

It's fixed at this point. The section that was overplayed is just us proposing Everyone is Batman, which is Everyone is John except instead of crazy goals, each payer chooses a different interpretation of Batman. So like you try and get control of Batman so you can act like Adam West or Dark Knight Returns for a bit. Points are awarded for defeating crime in your particular style.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 29, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grnegsnspm posted:

Way back in the long, long ago; Jef and I (mostly Jef) kept saying that we would review this Batman RPG he had. We kept putting it off. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. But now we make good on that promise. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Batman Roleplaying Game

So at what point do game designers start to understand how probability works? Because "supposedly representative sample has four doubles in a row" and "bell-curve chart with random Question villain at the center" suggest we're not there yet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

theironjef posted:

It's fixed at this point. The section that was overplayed is just us proposing Everyone is Batman, which is Everyone is John except instead of crazy goals, each payer chooses a different interpretation of Batman. So like you try and get control of Batman so you can act like Adam West or Dark Knight Returns for a bit. Points are awarded for defeating crime in your particular style.
It needs a mechanic where you gently caress the other players over by spending Not My Batman chips.

Glazius posted:

So at what point do game designers start to understand how probability works? Because "supposedly representative sample has four doubles in a row" and "bell-curve chart with random Question villain at the center" suggest we're not there yet.
I think they know very well that they made a system with a huge whiff factor, they're just glossing over it. Same thing with the WFRP2e designers.

What's really amazing about this era of game design is how long it took most people to figure out that you don't need a dozen tables to make a game. I believe Mayfair's Chill and the 2nd and 3rd editions of Gamma World were ahead of the pack by having a single Master Table that was used for most things.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ZeroCount posted:

That is a really good dungeon name, drat. So with every undead encounter in the Fortress is the DM encouraged to have Acererak pop in and say hi? Or is just every now and then instead of every time?

He only appears at specific times. Acererak's plan hinges on the idea that he can personally kill you whenever he wants (and his assumption that this is the case is his biggest Achilles' heel) and therefore he does not feel the need to make your traverse harder by simply showing up to kill you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It needs a mechanic where you gently caress the other players over by spending Not My Batman chips.

"I spend a chip, the bat shark repellent is and always has been an AK-47."

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So is OP still plowing ahead with Beast, wanting to make supplements or whatever? Or have they quietly shoved it in the same landfill with old WW's unbought copies of WoD: gypsies?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They are still making at least anything the Kickstarter promised, which is...at least two supplements, IIRC.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Desiden posted:

So is OP still plowing ahead with Beast, wanting to make supplements or whatever? Or have they quietly shoved it in the same landfill with their unbought copies of WoD: gypsies?

The Kickstarter goals obligate a few more books, but we'll see if any others are made. Or what those books actually have in them.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
What Non-Beast ChronDark games are out, currently? I think it's Vampire, Promethean, Werewolf, and Mage that have 'God-Machine Compatible' 2nd editions?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampire 2e, Werewolf 2e, Mage 2e, Promethean 2e and Demon. There's also a patch job for Hunter.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Will there be a 2e of Changeling? I liked Changeling.

I'm slowly getting more interested in the World of Darkness, and despite knowing peripherally that they've put out some awful, awful stuff in the past most of the nWoD material I'm familiar with has been, at worst, 'This is kind of weird and abstract and I'm not sure if I'd want to play this (Promethean, Demon, to some extent Mage)', as opposed to... well. Beast. It's perplexing how it went so.. wrong.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Currently in the works, yes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also it's the Chronicles of Darkness now, not the new world of darkness. The World of Darkness license is currently in the hands of a man who desperately wants it to be exactly like he remembered it 20 years ago only even more edgy and transgressive, completely ignoring all the plot progression or even real world events that have occurred in the interim. On top of that he just unironically wrote the line "Full rear end-Rape Stiffness" in a short story of his that he added to a reprint of an existing vampire fiction anthology.

At this point most CofD fans are embracing the new name if only to disassociate themselves from all of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought Batman was just stripped down DC Heroes, which only had two tables.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now that I look it up, you're right: the DC Heroes system is one of those "master table" systems, just with two tables (one to cross-reference the opposing values and a second for the results).

The problem with the game is twofold. First, it's preoccupied with producing precise "simulationist" results in real-world units of measurement: how many seconds, feet, pounds, etc. Being able to oppose any of two characters' stats, and get a precise result for almost any situation, was actually pretty boss for the 80s. This is how it resolves what is a longstanding issue for most superhero games. But if you're comfortable with results that are more narrative and less physics engine simulation, it's a big fat wad of who loving cares.

Second is that this logarithmic scale is meant to accommodate both Batman and Superman without the numbers becoming too unwieldy--in D&D terms, if Batman's STR is 18, then Superman's is like 2,945*. But the strongest character you're likely to use in a Batman-specific game is like, Killer Croc or Solomon Grundy, so it's just not necessary.

*It would actually be possible to backsolve for Superman's STR in D20 based on his "max lift" of 200 quintillion tons, but gently caress you if you think I'm going to do that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kurieg posted:

Also it's the Chronicles of Darkness now, not the new world of darkness. The World of Darkness license is currently in the hands of a man who desperately wants it to be exactly like he remembered it 20 years ago only even more edgy and transgressive, completely ignoring all the plot progression or even real world events that have occurred in the interim. On top of that he just unironically wrote the line "Full rear end-Rape Stiffness" in a short story of his that he added to a reprint of an existing vampire fiction anthology.

And who might this classy person be? :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirPhoebos posted:

And who might this classy person be? :allears:

The current Lead Storyteller for WoD and the guy who begged Paradox to buy the property.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I hope Paradox comes down like a ton of bricks on that nonsense. I know there is, somehow, a market for it, but sometimes you just need to take a step back and realize that there's more money in a measure of sanity than pure transgression for its own sake.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wiegieman posted:

I hope Paradox comes down like a ton of bricks on that nonsense. I know there is, somehow, a market for it, but sometimes you just need to take a step back and realize that there's more money in a measure of sanity than pure transgression for its own sake.

You would hope somehow I doubt it though.

Just on the subject of CofD has anyone had a read of the Leviathan fan game that someone brought out? I think it had a few good ideas but needed some work, what about you guys?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

After the whole "party where saying no isn't allowed" advertisement I would really hope that someone at Paradox would have spread the word that this poo poo isn't okay.

Halloween Jack posted:

*It would actually be possible to backsolve for Superman's STR in D20 based on his "max lift" of 200 quintillion tons, but gently caress you if you think I'm going to do that.

I used wolfram alpha (which is probably cheating) but roughly 306 if it's a heavy load. things get a liiiiiitle weird up there since we're talking about "Somewhere inbetween 4^28th power and 4^29th power" which is a range of 300 quintillion.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Josef bugman posted:

Just on the subject of CofD has anyone had a read of the Leviathan fan game that someone brought out? I think it had a few good ideas but needed some work, what about you guys?

PKFan2004 was doing a writeup of it, thought it doesn't look like he finished it.

EDIT: Looking at it again, there are a lot of elements in Leviathan that also get touched on in beast, but are portrayed in a much less rosy light. Both are ancient gribblies from the Epoch Primordial, but Leviathan doubles down on how the world's moved on from them, how they're living relics, stagnating. Beasts? No, they still are needed by humanity, their lessons are still relevant!

The Leviathan's version of Beasts' 'everyone likes me' aura is The Wake, which is inverted: Instead of making supernaturals love you (Canadian Vampire Girlfriend) and this being treated as something natural, born of deep instinctual kinship, The Wake is deeply unnatural and mortals to worship and fear the Leviathan. In effect, it's not so much a wonderful boon as reverse Disquiet, something that dents the Leviathan's ability to relate to humanity.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 29, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I didn't. I was doing that in a summer of 55 hour work weeks where I was mainlining NWoD books as reading material to keep myself at work and I burned myself out hard on Storyteller in the process. I may or may not return to that review Eventually but it's hard to do when you're working with info on a badly formatted wiki and they're working on a CofD upgrade to their fangame.

Here's what I have said, will say and will continue to say about Leviathan: I may not understand all of the mechanics and math but dear god is it a more workable Beast game than Beast is, mechanically and tonally speaking. Never play Beast. If anything in Beast interests you, you'd be better off looking at Leviathan instead. For starters it's actually interesting and it uses the same trappings as Beast (you're outdated, your world is gone in this age of men, your enemies are hell-bent on slaughtering you and you can't help but be what you are) in a much better way.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
There's an ongoing 2e update to Leviathan last I checked, and it was very solidly ehhh, which is still lightyears ahead of most fansplats like Princess or whatever. Like, it has something approaching thematic cohesion, it has some explicit stuff to do and mechanics to drive you to do it, and the powers aren't (all) howlingly broken. I might end up doing a review one day, with a comparison to the 1e material they made.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I think, like Princess: the Whatevering, Genius: the Oh God Noing, and other fan projects in that vein, it's in desperate need of an editor with a chainsaw. It's one thing to have a servitor splat, or a half-breed/ally/etc splat. It's quite another to write up at least one for each of your primary splats, and expect your readers to keep them all straight, out of the gate. When some are explicitly kept behind closed doors, their relevance only narrows.

I like the elevator pitch, but I really never understood the point of the game. I mean, where's the conflict? Hunters generally become an issue for Storyteller characters when they gently caress up. Wake looked like a lovely Fatebinding knock-off, more likely to turn your podunk-by-the-sea into a new Innsmouth than draw particularly dangerous Ahabs. poo poo, it reads like something Hunter PCs might have to deal with: how do you get into town and eliminate the Silurian throwbacks without killing or being killed by entire neighborhoods of thralls?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Daeren posted:

There's an ongoing 2e update to Leviathan last I checked, and it was very solidly ehhh, which is still lightyears ahead of most fansplats like Princess or whatever. Like, it has something approaching thematic cohesion, it has some explicit stuff to do and mechanics to drive you to do it, and the powers aren't (all) howlingly broken. I might end up doing a review one day, with a comparison to the 1e material they made.

I thought they could do with removing/simplifying the number of families myself.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Second is that this logarithmic scale is meant to accommodate both Batman and Superman without the numbers becoming too unwieldy--in D&D terms, if Batman's STR is 18, then Superman's is like 2,945*. But the strongest character you're likely to use in a Batman-specific game is like, Killer Croc or Solomon Grundy, so it's just not necessary.

DC Heroes was by far my favorite superhero game back in the day, but it was an ongoing problem that characters on the Batman/Green Arrow end of the scale tended to look really similar stats-wise because there just wasn't enough space to increase your stats without inflating yourself past what was considered "highly trained human" level.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Considering that they've outright stated they want to focus on Europe and its LARP scene, and at least once actually insulted American LARP organizations, I think there's a cultural gap adding to the whole thing, both in what they want to do with the property and how they're doing it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

Considering that they've outright stated they want to focus on Europe and its LARP scene, and at least once actually insulted American LARP organizations, I think there's a cultural gap adding to the whole thing, both in what they want to do with the property and how they're doing it.
Is there some kind of massive Euro White Wolf LARP community that wants to buy hella books? Is this one of those duck comics situations?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

Is there some kind of massive Euro White Wolf LARP community that wants to buy hella books? Is this one of those duck comics situations?

It's more in their tastes (oWoD, goth to the max) and the fact that LARPing is ridiculously popular in Scandinavia (Something like a tenth of the population has participated in one, with or without rules).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kavak posted:

It's more in their tastes (oWoD, goth to the max) and the fact that LARPing is ridiculously popular in Scandinavia (Something like a tenth of the population has participated in one, with or without rules).

We are talking about the mass exporters of Black Metal here, so it makes sense

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Nordic LARP was a lot more experimental than World of Darkness stuff could ever hope to be. At the same time, having been involved with large-scale LARP in North America and recalling that shite when the Camarilla got too big for its britches, I can't really blame them for insulting it as an institution either.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I thought Nordic LARP was a lot more experimental than World of Darkness stuff could ever hope to be. At the same time, having been involved with large-scale LARP in North America and recalling that shite when the Camarilla got too big for its britches, I can't really blame them for insulting it as an institution either.

The whole thing hasn't been disclosed yet, but it had to do with the Cam or some other organization's ban on rape in backstories and play. Whatever was said was so heinous that four different groups, not all of which banned that sort of thing, got together to deliver a statement condemning it and saying that "consent culture" was something that needed to be pushed badly in LARPing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Nessus posted:

Australia has a massive WoD LARP scene. Which is bizarre, since the heat makes even non-vampires burn to death.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kavak posted:

The whole thing hasn't been disclosed yet, but it had to do with the Cam or some other organization's ban on rape in backstories and play. Whatever was said was so heinous that four different groups, not all of which banned that sort of thing, got together to deliver a statement condemning it and saying that "consent culture" was something that needed to be pushed badly in LARPing.

Oh god yes, one of my friends' LARP groups had to kick out someone for a long history of sexual harassment, and there was a very defensive tone in the forum message - it's a sad state of affairs that someone could be in a LARP for months sexually harassing people to the point of driving people out that when they finally got poo poo-canned that the runners have to justify banning the person.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kavak posted:

Don't the four groups kinda hate each other too? So something managing to make them unite to deliver a unanimous message is amazing?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zereth posted:

Don't the four groups kinda hate each other too? So something managing to make them unite to deliver a unanimous message is amazing?

I can only hope it was the addition of a direct insult that caused that, and not the outright heinousness of the statement.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kavak posted:

I can only hope it was the addition of a direct insult that caused that, and not the outright heinousness of the statement.
Honestly, the direct insult to all of them changing their response from four separate responses to one unanimous response seems plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is entirely hearsay, but my understanding of it is that they were told that banning rape and sexual harassment in backstories was "Treating the symptom and not the disease" and that they simply need to police problem players. And that the person who said this was a keynote speaker and has gotten in trouble for doing similar things in the past.