Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Goblin Slayer has 24/7 rape, Shield Hero has a horrendously mess false rape accusation and 'Sex slaves are happy to be sex slaves', there's so much garbage fantasy anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Robindaybird posted:

Goblin Slayer has 24/7 rape, Shield Hero has a horrendously mess false rape accusation and 'Sex slaves are happy to be sex slaves', there's so much garbage fantasy anime.

Don't forget the fact that in spite of some defenders claiming it's "a takedown of a monstrous rape culture" of goblins who procreate solely by rape, the Adventurer's Guild covers up what happens to said women to not blunt recruitment drives. And that a high priestess lost the ability to cast one of the most powerful resurrection spells because she got raped and thus the gods took away her Magic Virgin Powers.

Edit: And no, nobody in-universe questions the humanity of said Guild or Gods for doing this for well...perpetuating rape culture. I think the best we got was one of the Guild workers paying money out of her own pockets to make actual working obstacle courses to train adventurers so they won't die/turn into baby-making factories as often.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 16, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And to add to it, Goblin Slayer started as a jam project from 2chan, which is where Moot got 4chan from and they're about the same benchmark in quality. Oh! I forgot the air quotes around the word quality.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Libertad! posted:

Fun Fact: the first pic of the Goblin Slayer tabletop RPG is sold in Japan, but to my knowledge it uses its own ruleset and not the 5e system.
I think I heard it’s basic rules + themed adventure of one of the TRPGs that’s popular in Japan but not here, Sword something? That might have been the KonoSuba rpg though.

Libertad! posted:

Edit: Between the fact that the tabletop hobby has a non-negligible number of sex pest GMs who like to spring rape in game sessions on unwitting players and that Goblin Slayer's first TV PG episode was this in anime form, the show makes sense when you find out that the two gods in the world are revealed to be an edgelord GM and a player's decisions being up-ended by the former to maintain the Crapsack World.
And here I’d been describing the show as “New players go to a PUG run by a horrible Magical Realm grog, only to have an old vet who’s been dealing with adversarial GMs since the 70s join partway into the first session.” TBH considering how much the tone shifts after the first episode, it became a running joke that the FLGS owner kicked out the horrible grog GM and they started a new game, and every couple of episodes have to chase him off after he runs in yelling “GOBLIN GOBLIN :tvtropes:” while they’re running Encounters or w/e

Edit: Possible bad opinion but while I dropped the manga for actually being nonstop edgelord garbage, I kinda liked the anime beside the first ep and thought it did a way better job :shrug:

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 16, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

i mean it really is just "this is someone getting off on rape fantasies, and it is a major media production"

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

Meanwhile Overlord starts from a terrible isekai premise, has the titular character refuse any sort of romantic interaction because he doesn’t feel right exploiting the NPCs whose personalities he tweaked before getting trapped, spends like half a season not just breaking up a slaver ring but also discussing PTSD and rehabilitation, and everyone I know has stopped watching because it’s slow as all hell and keeps running off on season long side-stories.

Hell, they even had that thing where the one girl treated her summoned monsters like people instead of disposable servants, and then when she needed their help again the whole tribe showed up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AmiYumi posted:

Meanwhile Overlord starts from a terrible isekai premise, has the titular character refuse any sort of romantic interaction because he doesn’t feel right exploiting the NPCs whose personalities he tweaked before getting trapped, spends like half a season not just breaking up a slaver ring but also discussing PTSD and rehabilitation, and everyone I know has stopped watching because it’s slow as all hell and keeps running off on season long side-stories.

Hell, they even had that thing where the one girl treated her summoned monsters like people instead of disposable servants, and then when she needed their help again the whole tribe showed up.
a huge chunk of the first season of Overlord was taken up with the skeleton wizard man putting on some heavy armor and playing at adventurer rather than doing skeleton wizard with sweet base and minions things and that was an enormous disappointment

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Meikyuu Kingdom is not a great pedigree to begin with, sadly.

On an unrelated note, if we could generally tone down the discussion of creepy isekai if there's not an actual review related to it, I'd appreciate it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Young Freud posted:

In some Cyberpunk 2020 news, apparently there's been a play test commentary about Cyberpunk Red, the upcoming edition

I'm not terribly impressed. :smith:
The setting stuff looks good to me. The $60,000 Question is whether or not Pondsmith has updated the mechanics. Tabletop has a lot to learn from video game design, so I wonder what he brings from that medium.

But the commentary doesn't really talk about rules at all, besides implying that classes still exist and so is the "iconic" cyberware.

Has Pondsmith talked at all about Cyberpunk 3.0 and how the whole edition is being declared noncanon now?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wouldn't expect big changes for Cyberpunk rules-wise. I know cyberware is supposedly getting an overhaul, but from how The Witcher turned out and what impression I got talking to Pondsmith two years ago, I wouldn't expect any sort of huge shift.

Personally, I'm mostly just thankful he talked CD Projekt Red out of using the tabletop rules (or some very rough equivalent thereof), like they'd originally planned.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Edit: Possible bad opinion but while I dropped the manga for actually being nonstop edgelord garbage, I kinda liked the anime beside the first ep and thought it did a way better job :shrug:
Congrats on liking fascist propaganda, without a particular ethnic target in mind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

By the way, Barudak, thank you for the term Numberslam. I don't think I could have finished the AdEva review without it and it's going in my game design lexicon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Night10194 posted:

By the way, Barudak, thank you for the term Numberslam. I don't think I could have finished the AdEva review without it and it's going in my game design lexicon.

No problem, glad you dig it. Its a useful term especially for systems that breakdown at the high end or ones that lack any meaningful choices in their combat systems. .

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Part 10a: Shall We Play A (Different) Game?

https://youtu.be/aPJGn3XURhw

Netrunners and the Internet (called NetScape or just The Net) are supposed to be a big part of Cyberpunk. It’s just that, well, there are certain flaws with how it’s implemented. Very big and very fundamental flaws. The Netrunner’s job is to hack computer systems, either to steal or alter information or to take over systems to assist the other players. The Netrunner does this by using a cybernetic interface and a specialized computer called a Cyberdeck to plug his mind directly into the Internet. Inside NetScape, they follows a separate rules system that no other role can interact with, and have to confront challenges that no other role can contribute to overcoming. Narratively, the Netrunner is doing his hacking in tandem with the rest of the party. In terms of how gameplay flows, the Referee either needs to resolve the Netrunner’s side of the session before addressing how things go for the rest of the players, or have two seperate maps and encounters going on at the same time. Either way, the game is going to slow down immensely.

Before I go further, there’s evidence that someone at R.Talsorian saw that there was a problem even back in 1990, and made some attempts to address the issue by giving Netrunners ways to contribute to an encounter without having to make a deep dive into the Net. While these are a step in the right direction, they ultimately don’t fix the core issues with this system. If someone on the writing staff types this into an advice sidebar (emphasis mine):

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. posted:

It’s only when you’re cracking systems that you have to stay in the ‘face for a long time and bore the rest of the party.

I feel that maybe that should have been an indicator that the whole system needed a rewrite.

The Net of CP2020 is a virtual realm that represents all the interconnected computer networks and cables. The locations of all the computer systems correspond relatively with each other to their location in the real world (or Realspace) thanks to something called the Ihara-Grubb Transformation Algorithm. The I-G Transformation was implemented in 2014, so the overall geography of the Net is a change to CP2020 compared to the first edition (I have no idea what it was like before).

The infrastructure that supports the Net is owned and operated by the Internet Communications Corporation. Internet (the company) is comparable to a Force-of-Nature NPC like the Lady of Pain, in that it exists to explain why certain elements of the setting are the way they are, but doesn’t have any goals except to defend its insanely huge power. In the case of CP2020, Internet gives zero fucks how anyone uses the Net, as long as they pay their bills. Even other Megacorporations won't tangle with Internet. That’s not to say NetScape isn’t policed. Megacorps have pretty free reign to defend their systems (or Data Fortresses), while an international police force called Net Watch patrols the City Grids. As in the real world, how effective these protections are depends on the region. The Internet is divided into 9 regions (sometimes called kingdoms) based on shared characteristics and conditions of the infrastructure. The names of the regions are Atlantis, Rustbelt, Olympia, Pacifica, TokyoChiba, Afrikani, EuroTheatre, SovSpace, and Orbitsville.

Netscape has three layers. When a Netrunner jacks in, their ICON is placed onto the City Grid, which has all the local Data Fortresses represented as their ICONS. If the Runner wants to hack into any of the local systems, then they travel to the Fortress’ ICON, which brings them to the Subgrid. This is where the Netrunner does most of his hacking. If the Netrunner needs to do business in another city, they go to the city’s Long Distance Link (LDL), which will bring the Netrunner onto the World Net Map. All Cyberdecks are assumed to be configured to allow a Runner to bypass long-distance billing (we’ll get to how that works in practice). It’s theoretically possible to move between cities staying on the City Grid, it takes a long time to do so. This space between City Grids is called Wilderspace, and whatever is out there is basically up to the Referee. Whether on the World Net Map, the City Grid, or the Subgrid, Netrunners move up to 5 spaces a turn either horizontally or vertically. (A Netscape turn is one second, compared to the 3 second Realspace turn. Have fun keeping that straight.)

While most of the entities with established Net presences frown on the activities of Netrunners, there’s one important exception. Bulletin Boards (BBS) are friendly Data Fortresses where Netrunners can go to get information, swap programs, collaborate, etc. Getting into one requires a password or encrypted key, but the main defense comes from always having a bunch of experienced hackers ready to fry anyone being a bad guest.

even in CP2020 people love custom cooling systems

In order to use their Role’s abilities, a Netrunner has a few unique expenses. To begin with, they need the prerequisite cyberware to use a cyberdeck: the Neural Interface, interface plugs, and Cyberdeck link. There’s a non-cybernetic option, but it sucks (-2 Reflex). In addition to having stock Cyberdecks, a Netrunner has copious options to customize their own deck. You start with a base model, which can range from a desktop arrangement to a cellular deck. Cellular decks have a special advantage of allowing a Netrunner to remain mobile while jacked in, and a Netrunner can ever use some of their programs while still engaged with the real world. Unfortunately the base Cellular deck costs 4,000eb, which is at least 40% of a starting Netrunner’s budget.

I’ll give CP2020 credit for not giving the specs of any of their computers in real life terms. All base model cyberdecks have 10 Memory Units (MU), a speed modifier of 0, and Data Wall strength of 2. These stats can be improved, and while the cost is high, there’s no upper limit to how much a deck can be upgraded.. Finally, there are options like screens and printers. The most useful of these is the chipreader.

We then get a big list of different programs. Programs come in several categories:
  • Intrusion: Breaks through Data Walls
  • Decryption: Opens Code Gates and encrypted files
  • Detection/Alarm: Notices invisible Runners, and/or alerts the program’s owner
  • Anti System: Damages cyberdecks and Data Fortress CPUs
  • Evasion/Stealth: Avoid detection, or misdirect programs that can track
  • Protection: Defends a Netrunner from Anti-Personnel software
  • Anti-IC: Attacks programs
  • Anti-Personnel: Directly damages a Netrunner or interrupts operations. Most are considered “Black Programs”, making them difficult to acquire
  • Controllers: Allows control of remotes. This is part of the “fix” that I mentioned at the beginning
  • Utilities: Miscellaneous, but includes some things that should honestly be standard functions like “Copy data” or “put digital lock on Cyberdeck”
  • Compiler aka Demon Series: A program that stores several different programs. Has a few significant flaws.
Every program has a Strength Score and a MU value. The MU is how much memory the program takes up, and ranges from 1 to 6. There are a couple of programs that share characteristics, belonging to a class. One prominent example is the Dog class of programs, which track a Netrunner to their realspace location, and can even wait for them to log in again. The most infamous of these is the very expensive and very powerful Anti-Personnel program Hellhound. If a Netrunner has to face a Hellhound, then poo poo has gotten real.

Before I go into how Netrunner combat works, I want to go over the “fix” CP2020 tries to provide for Netrunners, and why it doesn’t really work. Among the Cyberdeck’s main menu functions are two options LOCATE REMOTE and CONTROL REMOTE. LOCATE REMOTE shows the Netrunner every remote system connected to the Net. CONTROL REMOTE gives the Netrunner the opportunity to take control of the remote device if their deck has the right Controller program. The Netrunner can do these two things without even jacking into the Net, so the idea is the Netrunner is able to run along with the rest of the team and hijack remote vehicles, open doors, and tap into security cameras. I like the idea, and I even think it was used in an edition of Shadowrun for their version of the Netrunner (until fans complained and it was reverted back because we can’t have nice things).

There are three problems with how it’s set up here. First, to take control of a remote, the Netrunner rolls a d10 and has to get equal or under the program’s strength. There’s no way for the Netrunner to improve this chance except to write their own program, and it’s no more difficult to take over the equivalent of a Roomba versus an AV-4. The default Controller programs are pretty garbage, but a starting character can design their own programs that would work all the time.

The second problem is that all of this is explained in one page out of a 50 page section. A Netrunner player has to negotiate with the Referee every time as to what this ability allows, and there is no guidance given to the Referee on this ability tucked away in the middle of a chapter. The referee is put in the uncomfortable position of either shutting down the player or allowing the Netrunner to morph into a D&D Wizard.

Finally, while there’s this one page for controlling remote, the remaining 49 pages are for everything the Netrunner does that will slow the game down. So even if the Netrunner wants to do this remote control character and the Referee is on board 100%, all the other players will expect the Runner to still be a regular hacker. And a starting character isn’t going to have the funds to make a cyberdeck that can handle both. This is because of Memory. The bare essentials for attacking a Data Fortress is 7 MU bare bones, and 9 if you want effective programs. To have those programs and a suite of Controller programs at the same time, you need a memory upgrade, which will be more than the Netrunner has to start if they also want a cellular deck.

This section will probably take 3 updates at least to cover. Before I end this post, I want to point out that the cyberdeck and program section offers zero guidance as to what a Netrunner needs to attack Data Fortresses. And all the referee gets is some vague suggestions and a random table for quick generating Data Fortresses. So when I gave that 7-9 MU requirement? I can be totally off the mark, but I can’t tell because of how unintuitive these rules are. And since only one player is engaging with this system in a typical group, it’s very difficult for the Referee to fine tune the difficulty without accidentally presenting something that will turbo-murder the Netrunner and completely cut off what they bring to the party.

Next Time: //run NothingInterestingHappens.exe

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 16, 2019

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Barudak posted:

No problem, glad you dig it. Its a useful term especially for systems that breakdown at the high end or ones that lack any meaningful choices in their combat systems. .
It's a term that reminds me of that CharOp forum "epic level monster manual" or whatever it was, where their idea of an "hardcore final boss" was a monster that needed scientific notation to calculate its damage dice, from universe-length ranges away. Le EPIC, my dude! :woop:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So fellas, I've been debating something.

Would it be worth reviewing the Deadlands Reloaded Player's Guide & Marshal's Handbook, detailing the "core rules" and overall setting? There's an updated version coming out at an unspecified date in 2019 and worry that said review may be a "waste" if it comes out shortly.

Alternatively I could do a rules/setting update detailing the differences between the 2011 and 2019 versions. But again do not know how much that'll matter on account that I don't know how much is going to change until I have the book in my hands.

Or for a change of pace I could review Savage RIFTS. Although I'm not as much of a "loremaster" of said world, it is one that intrigues me warts and all, and I figure it could be fun if we saw how much the Savage Worlds systems keeps or fixes the wonky balance. Perhaps do a StrawPoll for readers to vote on certain OCCs (Occupational Character Classes) to form a typical 3-4 person party, have me build them using the SW rules, and compare them together to see if a Cyber-Knight/Burster/Glitter Boy/Juicer/etc party is viable without devolving into Angel Summoner/BMX Bandit.

Alternatively, I could go waaaaay back to the Early Aughties and review another Fantasy Africa book. The first major one with a self-contained setting, in fact! Nyambe was a 2002 third party D&D sourcebook which is exactly what it says on the tin. Sort of like Spears of the Dawn or Southlands but in 3rd Edition.

Edit: I could also do a Fantasy Arabia setting to review...

either the iconic al-Qadim: Land of Fate...

or the Tales of the Caliphate Nights, set in the real-world Rashidun Caliphate but is a more "historical fantasy."

What project would grab my fellow FATALers the most?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 16, 2019

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I remember hearing really good things about Nyambe at the time, but never read it myself. Could be interesting.

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
I'd say Nyambe. It sounds a bit different,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Voted al-Qadim

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd be curious about al-Qadim.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Rifter Rifts Round-Up Special '99, Part 3: "Lurker Drones modeled after actual people, and Lurker Drones that are more... anatomically correct, are all on the drawing board."

The Rifter #7

Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter #7 posted:

Why are Palladium Books so often delayed?

That seems to be the question of the last couple months. And a fair one. Others ask why we announce definite dates if we can't meet them. The answer is something of a Catch 22. We announce them, because people are constantly asking us what we are planning. Also because distributors need to know what's coming, ideally 3-4 months in advance, and, lastly, because that is what we are honestly planning! We plot and estimate to the best of our ability when we think we can release the books and announce them.

Then, life gets in the way.

I actually thought about writing an article entitled 101 Reasons Why Books are Delayed (and I could honestly come up with at least 101 reasons). One is finding good, competent help. Writers and artists who are not only excellent, but who can meet deadlines and maintain a consistent level of quality.

Another is running a business. There is a lot more to publishing than writing, editing, art, and printing, especially for me and Maryann. There's coordinating assignments, art direction, maintaining communications with freelancers, scheduling, payroll, juggling finances, getting financing, maintaining the office and warehouse, advertising, the web-site (building, maintaining and improving it), answering questions (by phone, mail and on-line), sales, distributor relations, shipping and receiving, legal matters (often unexpected), negotiating licenses, and other things.

And then there are the myriad problems that arise from each of the things I just noted! None of these are excuses, but sometimes I think people picture us sitting around either playing games all day or drinking a cold beverage on a hot beach somewhere. I wish! We understand that you look forward to a particular release and are frustrated and disappointed when it comes out 2-4 months late (sometimes rescheduled entirely). But please understand that it's not because we are goofing off or don't care. We care very much, and we are even more frustrated than you because we're putting in 12-18 hour days, six and seven days aweek, trying to get great product finished and we're still falling behind. Palladium's "on-site staff is tiny compared to TSR or White Wolf and many other companies. Of course, we have a growing legion of freelancers to help compensate. The easy answer might sound like we need to hire more people, but finding good people and finding the time to train them is another problem that gobbles up time, money and causes delays. See what I mean about a Catch 22 situation?

Maybe if the company wasn't a revolving door for some reason...

Beware the terrifying whachamacalit.

• Chaos Earth (by Kevin Siembieda): This is a preview of an alternate Rifts setting where the cataclysm is less devastating, and civilization doesn't completely collapse- though it's very much struggling for survival. If opt to cover Rifts Chaos Earth, I'll come back to this.
  • Skelebots: The Mechanical Menace (by David Haendler): This introduces three new types of Skelebots. Sea Skelebots are designed for swimming and have "vibro-harpoons" they use to sink pirate ships and grappling hooks to board them. Lurker Drones are... Terminators, like from the movie Terminator. Super Skelebots are partly organic and can... use an artifical womb and nanotech to "birth" other skelebots after eating enough proteins and mega-damage materials. The latter two seem fairly out-of-character for the Coalition, IMO; the notion of the Coalition creating robots that could pass as human or reproduce - given the threat those technologies could pose if flipped around on them - seems pretty unlikely. Particularly ones with robodicks. We get some related adventure hooks as well.

arrrr.exe

• England - A Green and Unpleasant Land (by Kevin F. Whitlock): An usual, overtly wordly noir-ish story about an American trying to make it in Rifts England and stumbling across a world of local organized crime.
  • Rifts Lone Star Comic Strip (by Ramon Perez), The Siege Against Tolkeen (by David Haendler), and The Hammer of the Forge (by James M.G. Cannon): These regular features forge onward.

The Rifter #7 posted:

The interior of the warehouse was huge and dark and apparently empty, save for a pool of light near the center of the main room, lit by a hovering glow globe. Elias' hackles rose, but he ignored his feelings of unease and sauntered toward the circle of light. As he approached, a hologram flickered to life beneath the glow globe.

It showed a human male with a slight build, fair skin and dark hair slicked back tight against his skull. His eyes were shadowed, but his mouth formed into a generous smile. He was dressed in a tunic of deep violet edged in gold with a matching cloak and boots. He stood easy and relaxed, holding a mug of something that sent plumes of steam wafting into the holographic air. He didn't look like the richest man in the Three Galaxies, but then Elias Harkonnen didn't look like the most dangerous man in the Three Galaxies, either.

Next: It's always darkest before the '00s.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 16, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That bit of writing from Rifter cant be real. I refuse to cooperate with this sketch youre setting up and will not yes and you, Alien Rope Burn.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if Nyambe is the game I'm thinking of, it's really good and didn't belong on the D20 scrapheap

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'd vote for Nyambe or Tales of the Caliphate Nights, given those are the ones I don't know about.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm always looking for more games that build on African stories and culture instead of European ones (and do so tastefully) so my vote's for Nyambe.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Do Al-Qadim. It had rules for playing a barber.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirPhoebos posted:

Do Al-Qadim. It had rules for playing a barber.

Are we talking barber-surgeon or just normal barber.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Barber-surgeon, I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bieeanshee posted:

Barber-surgeon, I think.

As a Hams fan, those are legit. You want a 1st tier medic, you can't do better than a Barber-Surgeon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought it was a joke about playing as a Berber.

Or Ali Baba.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Can I be a Berber-Barbarian-Barber?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Named Baba.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Night10194 posted:

Are we talking barber-surgeon or just normal barber.

You're a regular barber.

Or not, It's been forever since I read this. But barber-stuff is involved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

So not actually Mesoamerican at all, of course.

Were I to ever do something like this, I'd center it around the actual themes of Mesoamerican - specifically Aztec - mythology. Whose key element, and the whole reason for the blood sacrifices, is that the gods battle and bleed and die in their eternal fight against evil, and if the gods falter or die, evil will go out and the sun will die. Just as the gods give of their blood, humans must give of their blood to keep the gods alive so they can continue the fight and give the human world their blessings and gifts.

An actual Mesoamerican mythology themed story would be about sacrifice, an eternal war against an enemy that can never truly be vanquished. The defenders of humanity must always fight, and always bleed, and others must bleed for them.

I am about five pages behind on the thread but would like to make you aware of the Spirit Warrior Empire expansion for the tabletop game Mecha!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always been curious about al-Qadim.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Congrats on liking fascist propaganda, without a particular ethnic target in mind.
That's hardly damning; the Marvel movies are fascist for crying out loud.

Barudak posted:

I think it sums up the key problem with combat rules in most games. In my experience, players don't think tactically in games where tactical considerations just come down to a table of modifiers. Like, WoD and Shadowrun have rules for environmental factors and cover and high ground and all that, but it basically comes down to pluses and minuses. Combat mostly came down to win initiative, attack with the most bonuses to accuracy and damage, and get multiple actions if the system allows it.

I'd like to have combat where people take cover, throw smoke grenades, lay down suppressing fire, and try to flank the opposing side. But unless the game specifically encourages that, those are turns you don't spend killing the enemy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Goblinslayer is significantly more fascist than marvel movies. It's as fascist as Birth of a Nation is racist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd like to have combat where people take cover, throw smoke grenades, lay down suppressing fire, and try to flank the opposing side. But unless the game specifically encourages that, those are turns you don't spend killing the enemy.

As weird a game as it is, Albedo is one of the only games I've ever seen really encourage this kind of behavior and it did it by having you play an officer/sergeant and have 4 NPCs you control directly in combat so that one player could set up a whole infantry tactic at once. That would be one player's turn in that system, controlling their 5 playing pieces to have them all do that. Also the way fighting worked it was actually a good idea to do this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Part 10b: 1337*ness matters less than you’d think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMg1upld0w

Time to talk about the actual mechanics of hacking. While Jacked in, the only skill that matters is Interface. Even that doesn’t come into play for a lot of actions. This means that the most important choices a Netrunner makes in combat are made when selecting the programs to bring. But that can be frustrating when you have really limited deck space and one of your must-have programs takes up half the space on a starting deck. Also, there’s not any tips given on how a Netrunner gets the information needed to make intelligent preparations. On the City Grid, each Data Fortress is coded to one of five levels - Grey System, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Black System. This coding just indicates the deadliness of the programs used to defend it, and what sort of organization would operate it. There’s no mention of how a Netrunner is supposed to find out more about a specific target, so they are left picking the strongest general-purpose software for runs.

I already discussed the LOCATE REMOTE and CONTROL REMOTE functions in the main menu. Here’s a quick description of the other LOG ON/OFF punches you in and out of the Net. A Runner has to roll 8 or lower to LOG OFF, and NetWatch have programs to stop them from logging off. RUN PROGRAM lets the Runner execute his programs. LONG DISTANCE LINK is used to trick LDLs into thinking the Runner is making a local call. COPY copies files. ERASE erases files. READ reads the file. EDIT changes the file. Finally, there’s CREATE/DELETE, which is specifically for creating Virtual Realities, which have their whole separate rule set to them.

The first decision point comes as to whether or not to use LDLs to interfere with tracing. Every LDL has a Trace Value, and each one you pass through increases the difficulty of programs like Hellhound tracing you. The program must roll 1d10 + Program Strength and beat your cumulated Trace Value. But using LDLs is expensive. It costs 0.20 eb per square traveled on the World Net Map per turn. The Netrunner can instead try to fool the LDL into thinking the deck is making a local call. The Netrunner has to roll a 1d10 and get equal or higher than the LDL’s Security Level. Otherwise you attract the attention of NetWatch. The Runner’s skill has no impact on whether or not they can do what should be a fundamental hacking trick.

When combat begins, a NetRunner rolls 1d10+Deck Speed+REF to determine initiative. If an AI is involved (yes there are AIs we’ll get to them), it rolls 1d10 + its INT. Each turn, a Netrunner can move 5 spaces and take one action, usually running a program. A computer or AI gets one action for its first CPU, plus an additional action for every two additional CPU in present in the system.

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 posted:

This is why Netrunners team up to tackle big systems

Well that’s the first I am seeing this tidbit in the book. So is it assumed that there’s going to be more than one Netrunners in a group? There’s no suggestion that on these big runs other players play the Netrunners recruited. Even if the Referee goes this route, the result of this design is that any campaign end point is going to take twice the time to get through. Otherwise the Netrunner will likely have to ignore the core of their class when the campaign hits its peak.

A Netrunner or program can see and attack anything within 20 spaces “unless it’s blocked by some other obstacle (as determined by the Referee of the game)”. Thanks CP2020. Programs can move 5 spaces, but unless they’re in the Dog Class, they can’t leave their home system. They can move at most one space away.

The check made to see if a program succeeds depends on its type. For Stealth and Detection programs, the check is Strength+10. For Intrusion, Anti System, and Encryption, the check is Strength+1d10 vs Code or Data Wall+1d10. Anti-Personnel and Anti-IC programs are the only ones where the Netrunner’s skill matters. The roll is Strength+Interface+Int+1d10. In all these rolls, ties go to the attacking program. Anti-IC programs damage other programs on successful hits by reducing its Strength. When the program has 0 Strength, it de-rezzes.

And that is how you hack in Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. There are no useful decisions to be made, not even different ways to distinguish one Netrunner from another, just pure numberslam. And it’s not even visceral or satisfying numberslam. Take something like RIFTS. The combat is certainly a slog, but it can still be entertaining to roll a boatload of dice and then place a meaty multiplier on the final number, and the players and GM can at least have fun describing guns three times the size of the shooter firing and hitting opponents. But here in Netscape, all the Player and Referee do is roll a d10, add some modifiers, and maybe roll a couple of extra dice for damage. And when a program or Runner is defeated, they’re just de-rezzed. The only time things can get more descriptive is when it’s the player’s Netrunner that kicks the can, and it’s very easy for this to come off as mean-spirited.

After combat, the book moves onto designing Data Fortresses. But rather than saying what would be reasonable challenges or what would be appropriate for rewards for compromising a Data Fortress, we get the rules for how much components cost and the rules for laying them out, as though this was something players were going to build! And the prices are just for what the computer components are, not what is needed to house these supercomputers or the electricity needed to power them. And these computers are pretty super. The relevant detail is that each CPU in a Data Fortress gives it 3 INT, and it can have 21 INT max. At 12 INT and higher, the system is an AI and can act independently of any operator. There are notes on the kind of personality it might have and how the referee should roleplay it. In addition to placing programs to defend the Data Fortress, a computer can be given skills. These skills can be raised to +10, and can even include TECH and REF skills, including weapons (the computer uses INT as the base stat). The only thing missing is how an AI controlled weapon determines initiative. It’s implied that an AI uses Interface, but it’s not on one of the skills listed. I think the idea is that the AI just has the abilities granted by Interface. Finally, it should be noted that a CPU only costs 10,000 eb.

It’s a wonder this setting hasn’t already been Judgment Day’d. Perhaps Skynet is stuck on determining initiative for the nuke launch.

After all those honestly pointless rules, we get a random roll table for quick generating a Data Fortress. After the last two parts, I need some random nonsense to relieve the pressure.

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. posted:

A system filled with office gossip files and ten Hellhounds is pretty bogus.

You can’t tell me how to have fun! :mad:

My first roll (1d6) is for the number of CPUs. I get a 5. This gives my system an INT of 15 and is an AI. I also have 20 Memories (for 200 MU), 5 Code Gates, and 5 Terminals. For the AI’s personality, I roll a 4: Intellectual, Detached. For its ICON, I get a 5: Technic, ie a robot. To determine the Data Wall Strength and Code Gate Strength, I roll 1d6/2 and add the CPUs for each. The result is 5 for the Data Walls and 7 for the Code Gates. I then roll 1d6+4 to determine the ranks for 5 different skills. I’ll pick the skills after the Data Fortress is finished, but the levels are 8, 8, 9, 5 and 7

Each memory has two files. That’s 40 files in this Data Fortress. I roll 1d6 for each to see what type of file these are, and get these results:
    1 Interoffice: 9
    2 Database: 6
    3 Business Records: 10
    4 Financial Transactions: 4
    5 Grey Ops: 8
    6 Black Ops: 3
Next we see if there is a Virtual Reality here. I get a 6, so there is. I then roll a 1 and 6, meaning its a Super-realistic Virtual Conference. Now for the defenses I roll a 1d6 and add the number of CPUs. There 11 programs defending this Data Fortress
    1 3-4: Bloodhound
    2 1-4: Bloodhound
    3 4-6: Pitbull
    4 0-4: Knockout
    5 9-3: Brainwipe
    6 1-3: Bloodhound
    7 4-1: Watchdog
    8 8-2: Poison Flatline
    9 5-3: Manticore
    10 1-4: Bloodhound
    11 7-6: Murphy
The major missing programs are something to detect invisible Netrunner or destroy non-compiler programs. Oh well. Lets see what Remote devices this system is connected to. I roll a 2 on a 1d6, then roll a 7 and 0 on a 1d10. This means one remote is for a Remote Vehicle or Robot and the other is for a Manipulator or Autofactory.

I have an idea for this Data Fortress. It’s an off-the-books manipulator of financial data that’s used to commit wire fraud, insider trading, and other financial crimes. The Autofactory is there to forge documents. The Fortress is designed to alert whoever set it up rather than fully defend itself because it’s builder wanted to reduce the risk of the AI going rouge. So far, the AI is content to do mess around with the VR. It’s skills are Stock Market 9, Forgery 8, Accounting 8, English 7, Driving 5. All that’s left is to determine the layout. I roll a 1, which gets me this:

Well it looks like there isn’t near enough room to fit all the components. There are some options that have more space and might work, but it’ll be a tight fit at best. If I had 6 CPUs none of these would have been able to fit all the components it would come with.

Well I feel better after that. We’ll finish off Netrunning next time by discussing Programming, which is important to playing a Netrunner, and Virtual Realities, which is a waste of space.

Next Time: Causing phones to explode really is a feature

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 17, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Rifter Rifts Round-Up Special '99, Part 4: "Gods and supernatural intelligences - 80,000 experience points (G.M.s and players, please note that this should never happen and is only listed here as a reference)."

The Rifter #8

The Rifter #8 posted:

Hey, you other fledgling artists out there should consider contributing to The Rifter™. Sure it only pays $60 dollars for a full page illustration (proportionally less for small illoes; the original art is returned to the artist), but it is a good way to stretch your wings, get seen, and make some money while experimenting with your art and developing your talent. Humorous cartoons to serious art are all of interest to us.

Really, when you think of the exposure you're getting in The Rifter, maybe you should be paying Kevin. Think about it, artists. :ssh:

Dracula-Cthulhu vs. Conquistadors: An Asylum film.

• Demonwrath (by Matthew Burns): This is this an adventure that generally presumes the PCs are warrior monks and Demon Quellers at a monastery set on the Russian / Chinese border, which is... a very eclectic and unsupported campaign concept at this point. They're sent to stop evil demons in the area, but it turns out their master is a demon just trying to eliminate the competition. However, when he sends them to stop a god, things don't work out as planned. Demonwrath is a good-aligned rune weapon that plays an exceedingly small part in the adventure, so I'm not sure why it's named after it.
  • The New Kingdom (by Jason Richards and Nathan Taylor): This is a long vampire article dealing with a vampire intelligence threatening the Techno-Wizard city of Arnzo. It's generally reprinted in Rifts World Book 28: Arzno - Vampire Incursion, though, so if I ever get that far, I'll come back to this.

"Get that '90s in! We've only got months to spare!"

• Bring Out Your Dead! (by Mark Sumimoto): This introduces a number of new necromancy spellcasting classes, loosely themed around the Four Horsemen (in Rifts World Book 4: Africa). The Cursebringer O.C.C. focuses on curses but also a broader version of bio-manipulation, and often goes around setting up protection rackets involving curses. The Death Walker O.C.C. specializes in raising more undead, as well as raising "monster" undead or bringing back vengeful revenants, both of which are Mega-Damage. A good way to break the action economy right down. The Murder-Mage O.C.C. gets M.D. death punches and literally gets XP by killing people (by "consuming life force", with specific XP values based on the power level of the target). The Warborn can merge technology with their body like a necromantic Darth Vader, and enhance such items. Warbabies are those who "flunk out" of Warborn training- they instead get psionic powers around machinery instead. All of them involve insanity and lots of fingerwagging warnings if you want to play them because they're eeevil. Curiously, though unofficial, the Murder-Mage would be referenced in passing by Sumimoto in Rifts World Book 21: Splynn Dimensional Market.
  • Three Words (by Jason Marker): A two-page story by Palladium's own goon author about a mutant spider developed by Lone Star and its crummy life. It's a cute little story based around the notion that mutating a spider to be more humanlike doesn't give the Coalition the badass spider-assassin they're hoping for, but a lazy, dumb "failure" - because it has spider-brains.
  • Rifts Lone Star Comic Strip (by Ramon Perez), The Siege Against Tolkeen (by David Haendler), and The Hammer of the Forge (by James M.G. Cannon): More of these.

The Rifter #8 posted:

"No, no, I can remember every bloodbath with perfect clarity. Every person I've killed, every battle I've fought, those are etched into my brain. It's the little things that I don't know about. I can't remember my childhood. Or my parents. Do you know what it's like to not know what your own mother looked like, because you were stupid enough to get a bunch of soda cans stuck in your skull? DO YOU?!"

"Get your butt over here!"

And that's that. Most of the "official" material ties into future or past books, so there's nothing too detailed to cover this granted. Granted, there is the weird situation where Sumimoto blurs the line by referencing multiple "unofficial" articles in Rifts World Book 21: Splynn Dimensional Market, but I'm presuming that's an oddity and not suddenly making them official.

And that's it for this wrap-up! The deck is officially clear for Rifts material from Y2K.

PARTY LIKE IT'S 98%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes, I look at the huge amount of Hams material I have covered, and think there is a lot of it.

I have nothing on Rifts. What are you most looking forward to/least looking forward to in upcoming Rifts stuff?