Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm going to be honest and say I played it years ago, so my memories aren't super clear. What I do remember was that I was playing, I think a PHB 2 class, some Ranger-esque thing, and I forget what race I was playing.

Just to use your example, though, of those two non-daily, non-encounter Fighter powers, one of them only triggers if there's what I assume is an Opportunity Attack(I'm used to seeing it as AoO, is an OA something else or are we just using different terms?), and is thus a reactive action, not an active action. That still leaves me with only one single class ability to use as a Fighter on my actual turn, at level 1(I really don't remember having any abilities from my race, though. Maybe I played a human, or did not all non-human races get at-wills?). I really wish I could find my old character sheet just so I could look it up and see if I'm completely misremembering things, or if I managed to somehow cobble together one of the shittiest race/class combos imaginable in terms of fun quotient.

You are mis-remembering. Besides the mark and the AoO/OA (they are the same thing) retaliate, you also had 2 more at-will fighterpowers (unless you were human, in which case you had 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Impermanent posted:

drat WHFRP with Gamma World's (D&D 4e ed) ruleset and card system would actually be dope as hell and exactly good at the kind of thing people want out of that kind of system.

WHFRP3 was kind of like this

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

https://icv2.com/articles/games/view/20743/top-5-rpgs-q2-2011

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/7580/is-pathfinder-selling-better-than-dd

See this is the part that confuses the gently caress out of me. You have a large base of loyal, happy customers. You piss them off by altering the game to draw back the people who abandoned you to a worse product with titty art and "mature themes" like this. I do not understand this decision, I do not understand why they felt the need to bring in RPG pundit to sell to all 3 old men who still play 2e instead of refining the game and targeting the loyal crew who stuck with them. I was assuming it was a drastic change because things weren't selling well, but if it wasn't what the hell were they doing?

Mike Mearls is a D&D grognard who wanted to make 3.x, but again, and Hasbro let him do it because they didn't give a gently caress. From day 1 Mearls' intent was not "to make a good game" but instead was "to make a D&D game", where D&D=3.x

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 17, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JackMann posted:

While I slowly type up the Gear section, why don't I get some character suggestions so you can see what this looks like as a process? For that matter, suggest a race and I'll show that system off as well.

Old Man Henderson, because old person with a shotgun is basically the mechanically best character

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 1, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

REO Meatwagon was the best brand name, of course.

What about the Wham!bulance?

Thanks JoJo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mors Rattus posted:

Side note, this is part of why Sector General owns. When they run into a primitive species that seems to be doing okay, they just sit and observe from space most of the time, wait for the guys to be ready to reach out and make friends, prepare official First Contact diplomats based on what they see, etc.

But if there's an actual problem? Help them. And so it turns out one of the best, most successful first contact methods they discover over the course of the books is...send in the medics to save someone on a ship sending a distress call, or to help solve problems of disease and nutrition that may be beyond the current capabilities of the other culture, with appropriate educational materials to help them understand the medical help they're getting.

(They also treat war as a mental illness on a species-wide scale, because James White was a pacifist and considered violence to be repugnant after growing up in the Troubles.)

Sector General is sexist as gently caress though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The stirge is in the door lock so when you try to peek inside it pokes out your eye

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Melf the male elf wizard

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Amazon Warrior isn't terrible, all the amazon armors are 1point max dex higher than their normal equivalents, and the get an additional effective +2 against male opponents which is likely to be most in this sort of setting. Most of the other class abilities are poo poo but druid animal companions are really good. "You're basically two fighters" isn't the worst you can do for a class. And, of course, it's a pretty decent 1 level dip for light armor or unarmored characters - 2 good saves, better armor than is otherwise available, an additional AC bonus against male enemies, and +10' movement is pretty good.

And of course there is Battle dancer which adds an undefined number which I'm guessing is supposed to be like 1/4 of your character level or something.

Piell fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 12, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Joe Slowboat posted:

I know someone mentioned the Dwarves would blow a gasket at any attempt to redeem the Skaven, so I was wondering: how much are their Grudges understood on racial, as opposed to civilizational, national, or personal lines?
Like, if the PCs in a very long-term game help retake Karak Eight-Peaks in order to destroy Clan Mors, the Competent Skaven, and having done so some wizards and Shallayans establish a non-fascist Skaven clan for the eventual purposes of defeating the Under-Empire... is that something the Dwarves would see as helping them take out their endless grudges on the Horned Rat and the Rat Fascists, or a betrayal of their vengeance upon Rat-kind?

Letting it happen means you have one grudge. Calling it a betrayal means you get to have a new grudge!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
HP isn't realistic, why should poison be

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

PurpleXVI posted:

I've said it before, but my main problem with all these sorts of "ha ha, now I, the GM, can gently caress you over!"-disads is that I just don't like using them as a GM. It just feels much too adversarial in play. I prefer ones that just have a straight mechanical effect so I'm not directly the one making GBS threads on a player in their moment of greatest duress.

You can run FATE pretty much entirely off of player-initiated compels.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The difference between Mythos games and Deadlands is that Mythos games don't have longass arcs of metaplot you are forced to walk along while not being able to do anything. A Mythos character can't permanently defeat Cthulhu but they can foil a Mi-Go or drive a boat into Cthulhu's head to knock him out for a while. In Deadlands you can't do poo poo that the metaplot says you can't do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

It's like comparing Dungeons the Dragonning to something like Feng Shui. Yeah, sure, Cooke put a guy with a book for a head in there, but he's there entirely to be a guy with a book for a head for one picture. There's no connective tissue to pull it all together and no point to any of it but to look 'evocative'.

Being gonzo or weird without just being aimless and hollow takes a lot of effort.

It's just Numenera 2: Now with Extra Pretentiousness! (Also Numenera is just Monte Cook's World of Darkness 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

I think you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMRRWzACpM