Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Andrealphus comes off as rather pitiful which I find pretty surprising considering his word. Good work In Nomine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Count Chocula posted:

I'm curious about The Final Trumpet.
Does Yves not have one of those 'different ways to play him' bits? You could do The Absent-Minded Librarian, Peter Falk from Wings of Desire (the nicest man in the world), The Enigmatic Puppetmaster or Literally Just Borges/Destiny of the Endless. I'd be inclined to make him genuinely nice. Too many angels are assholes.

The one thing I like about Kahil is that most of the other Angels respect him. Keep that bit, drop everything else.

I feel the opposite. The archangels have pretty much all been decent sorts, at least to humans if not each other. The most hostile ones would seem to be Michael and Dominic and even that feels pretty tame. I guess a bunch are mad at Eli too but all of the archangels accepted his angels when he left.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Midjack posted:

Jordi is an almost complete peckerhead to everyone and I don't think anything ever really improves him.

I didn't want to judge Jordi before he got his full write up!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Superiors to the bitter end.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like Ravenloft a lot but stuff like horror checks always annoyed me.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kavak posted:

So why wasn't this the case in 1st and 2nd edition? What changed? If we had an answer for that we'd have the answer to balancing things.

It was still the case in 1st or 2nd edition. Don't trust anyone who says otherwise. Sleep has been Sleep in every version of D&D.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You really get a sense of there being very different views of the way Heaven should act since every single Superior has the Superior talking about how humans are the most important things and how soldiers are so wonderful and then you have this book which kind of shrug its shoulders about it.

Zereth posted:

Before 3rd edition it was much easier to interrupt a spell cast and then it was wasted, and various other details. Wizards were powerful, but there were balancing mechanisms.

Most of them were annoying bullshit to actually deal with in play, though. (For example, a higher level wizard could take something like 36 or more hours of work to re-memorize his full complement of spells.)

Sure, like begging your DM to let you break the Wizard's cast of stoneskin with a hand full of pebbles.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wait...who are the Cruel Ones?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I liked the bit where the monsters are equally trapped in the cycle the Gaunt Man created and when one figures that out the Gaunt Man just laughs.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The health inspector Beast sounds like he would be fun to play.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You might be thinking of a famous RPG.net thread where the poo poo hits the fan here, in which Bill Coffin drops multiple bombs, along with nods by CJ Carella, Jason Vey, and Steve Conan Trustrum. That was posted years before Dead Reign was submitted or published, but it shows that the experience of Josh and Joshua's was anything but unique.

I know that when I was reading about Dead Reign I kept thinking about how its development history seemed to match that old post perfectly. 5 years and not a thing had changed...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Daeren posted:

I've always heard it was either that was what happened, or Obsidian wrote the endings assuming Wizards would never have been okay with it and it turns out they'd have been down. Either/or.

The writers for Mask of the Betrayer didn't bother asking if it was okay since they assumed it wasn't.