Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Beast is getting at least two more books. They have a Storytellers' Guide and Night Horrors (translation: antagonists) book in the works.

Bedlamdan posted:

I heard that the alt setting for Beast gonna be set in the Reconstruction Era South? I could just be remembering a wacky rumor though.

They have a chapter in the Dark Eras Companion and it will be set during the Reconstruction, yeah. They might even be able to do something interesting with it if they draw parallels between Beasts and people like Sherman who did horrific things to break the wills of literal slavers.

Edit: I mean, I'm not expecting that because that seems a bit too... subtle for Beasts' purview, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I am honestly curious why they would pick the Reconstruction of all times. Like the weird brutal black and white moralism would actually kind of fit if you were doing some biblical or mythic timeframe but hey lets pick one of the most murky and complicated parts of American history no bad could come of this

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 9, 2016

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

It feels like its trying to channel righteous fury but completely misses why oppressed people are furious and just winds up being petulant. The big problem is that things like Ferguson or Stonewall are reactive. Most oppressed people don't want to smash stuff and flip cars, but the pressures society forces them to endure leaves them without another option. It's like MLK said, "A riot is the language of the unheard." Beasts, otoh, are entirely active. They hurt people because it fulfills them spiritually and emotionally. Even if you leave a Beast alone, they'll still hurt people because hurting people is who they are.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Beast's metaphor is that GLBT people are all secretly abusers, but it's okay because their abuse is justifiable. Have fun with that.

Beast doesn't know what its metaphor is.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

One of my favorite bits of the whole Beast thing was back when the Kickstarter was still going. OPP dev David Hill made a post about pitch season and gave an example of a pitch that got passed over in favor of Beast and it played off similar themes of social justice and oppression but was way more tasteful and interesting.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

My other favorite thing about beast was some of its most ardent defenders were exactly the people it was trying to condemn

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Thing was, the initial criticism (if you could even call it that) was mostly people just saying, "hey this seems kind of messed up, is the anti-hero stuff just IC trash-talk?" and BHM getting really snippy and evasive, if not ignoring some people outright.

Edit: also he'd ignore the cohesive, well-written effort-posts in favor of snarking at some random person who dropped in the thread to ask how someone could be called a hero AND a be a bad guy

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2016

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Tell me more about this pitch. This sounds intriguing in a what-could-have-been way.

It was called Fury: The Scourge. The PCs were Furies, people who were suffered some kind of great injustice and took revenge and as a result this giant cosmic spirit of justice empowered them to battle injustice. In practice though its basically people being given superpowers and hitlists of people who broke any and all manner of archaic laws so while you might have to go kill a serial killer, you also might have to torment someone who hasn't finalized their divorce so they're technically an adulterer or something. If you stand your ground against the cosmos, Bad Stuff happens with the severity depending on the degree of your disobedience. You group up so you can fight more injustice, but also so you can "cover" for each other. So like say you have to go kill somebody. You might hate killing, but one of your buddies can stomach it, so they can go kill the guy instead of you and cosmic justice doesn't go bananas on everyone.

It was basically an anti-revenge fantasy

edit: Found it! Keep in mind its literally an internal document written just to pitch an idea so its a little rough around the edges

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I was reading through the F&F archive and I saw that Phil Brucato was going to be doing the Changeling 20th Anniversary book. Has that been released yet?

Its in the works, the Kickstarter wrapped up a while ago. Also Brucato isn't the developer, its Matt McFarland of Beast fame.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Beyond a few merits that look new, is there much difference mechanically between nWoD plus the God-Machine Chronicle/Demon rules updates versus Chronicles of Darkness as a stand-alone book? Or was CoD intended rules-wise to be a compilation of the newly published rules changes into a single stand-alone text?

The latter. It was originally just going to be the World of Darkness 2E corebook, but Paradox wanted to revive the OWOD so they rebranded it.

E: F,b

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Mage: the Awakening, 2nd Edition

Prime is the Arcanum of magic, the Supernal, the Nimbus, truth, Yantras, Mana, Hallows, tass, resonance and revelation.

I love Prime. nothin but platonism, meta-magic, and kamehamehas

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Doresh posted:

I think they might just have a They Live situation going. Or they just felt that the newest splat in the WoDverse should make the second-newest splat a bit more special than the older ones.

Demons are revolutionaries. Beasts are institutionalized powers who co-opt revolutionary and progressive language to strengthen their brands. TBH them hating each other kinda works.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

I never got why werewolves had 5 forms instead of just Human, Wolf, and Giant Wolf-Monster. But it is the WoD line that makes the least sense to me in general.

Lon Chaney werewolves and the big direwolf werewolves

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Hostile V posted:

And, as an added benefit, this is not the book that has Reconstruction-era Beast.

OTOH the second book is set to have a load of cool stuff in it to compensate, which should wash the taste out somewhat

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Most Hunter groups even have an answer baked in, because 'why do we hunt' is kind of the core question of any Hunter group.

VASCU, of course, has the best answer: 'Well, sir, we have a warrant for your arrest, signed by a judge. If you will surrender and let us take you in, this doesn't have to end with anyone dying. Please do not spit fire at us, or we will be forced to defend ourselves.'
I love how mundane VASCU makes the supernatural.

"I AM THE IMMORTAL POWER OF DARKNESS ITSELF!"
"Yeah, yeah, tell it to the judge."

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm an unrepentant defender of Because MOUNTAINS OF COCAINE gently caress YEAH.

"Because I've hosed a man that could fly!"

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

So according to the strained metaphor, Michael Brown would literally be a Beast.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Concerning the fiction anthology, I thought I read somewhere that like half of the stories were written by people who were p much 100% aware of how hosed up Beasts are. Curious to see if that's the case.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

God drat that Promethean story sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Everyone knows its funded by patriotic monsters. Being dead comes second to being an American.