Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aw, I was all hyped to read about how the government ruled the Camarilla met the criteria for a RICO case and they prosecutors smelled all that blood in the water and are now looking to make their careers by being the one to bag an inner circle member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

theironjef posted:

Those two lucky breaks with licensing always make me wonder what would have happened if Kevin hadn't ruined his shot at a movie and hitched his chances on a videogame that didn't come out exclusively on a bad phone.

If that RIFTs SRPG had come out on like, the Gameboy Advanced, I'd be the hugest RIFTS fanboy right now instead of just vaguely amused by the game's desire to tell me how large every enemy empire is (12 guys, and one elite).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Werewolves.

They're getting worse because it is becoming progressively more and more clear that David Hill knows very little either about Japan or the games he writes about, despite being a paid Onyx Path freelancer that lives in Japan.

The werewolf one had the secret conspiracy of werewolves running the entertainment industry, and also had werewolves performing rakugo in their Gauru forms.

So you're telling me someone finally invented a hypothetically enjoyable form of rakugo???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

What does the True Neutral Paladin do

Works to develop a magic spell that collapses all the planes into a the only truly neutral thing, absolute nothingness. A quest for parties of 15th-20th level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

An ubiquitous concept in the literally hundreds (thousands) of crappy fantasy web novels inspired by RPGs out there is that there's some sort independent Adventurer's guild that registers, trains and provides jobs to adventurers based on how tough they are.

Half the time they include an unforgeable "Adventurer ID card" that's basically an in-setting character sheet you can show off.

(Why did I read those? I was thinking "Why not do a Portal Fantasy Hack" Followed by "Wow, there's a lot of portal fantasy/reincarnation webnovels, I should look at those" followed by "Maybe I don't want to cater to portal fantasy fans")

The otherwise mediocre anime Hunter x Hunters initial plot conceit is that the main characters are basically pyschopathic murder hobos and by getting a hunter card they will be legally recognized as such and no longer subject to things like "passports" and "needing to register their weapons"

Edit: one characters last name is Paladinknght and while he is somewhat a good upstanding person he unambiguously wants to be so obscenely wealthy that his desire to do charitable things will not cramp his style.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there anything for Godbound providing some pre-fab Gods written up for players to use off the bat? I'm buying this dumb game because it sounds awesome, but I'd love a little guidance/saving setup time the first session.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I've never, ever, ever seen a pre-made character that looks ANYTHING like what players end up making, in any system.

Pre-made characters tend to be made to be "realistic," i.e. their skills are all over the place and they're not very "optimized," for the most part they're even badly designed from a mechanical standpoint. Players, on the other hand, tend to have a laser-like focus on either RAW POWER or a specific theme that it feels like you rarely see in the pre-mades.

I agree completely there. I just like to introduce my players to new systems with a session before building a character so you have a good grasp of how the game plays and exactly how you want to build your character so you don't waste time building something that doesn't work fully and then invest more time to rework it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Slayers is pretty close to Wizard Supremacy: the Setting IIRC.

Hey, they don't have the rights to Naga, so Gourry has to occasionally do things still.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the melee character is only relevant due to a magical artifact. Slayers is 100% accurate to actual table play, right down to the absolute convoluted magic negating bullshit any boss has to have in order to stand a chance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And the plot of several of the films is the protagonists just completely refusing to investigate anything or putting together clues so the DM has to keep throwing encounters at the party until they decide, gently caress it, fine, I'll deal with this problem.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Night10194 posted:

This show sounds kinda legit with all this.

The plot of one of the films ends with the heroes a) not having learned half the plot so they have no clue why anything just happened or why it should be relevant to them and b) bitching about the now dead character who was basically a DM PC.

Watching Slayers could unironically make you a better DM as its a much better portrayal of the schizophrenic attitudes players at the table will have and the rampant desire for unlimited power while one dude is totally fine with "I hit them with my sword, maybe"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I had to hazard a guess sleeping to level feels natural in so far as sleeping is the moment in most of these games where your energy is restored so it makes sense. It also, in a more classical game where you're constantly earning fractional bits of a level, a more elegant way to ensure players only need to dick around with their character sheet and stats during downtime rather than in the middle of a dungeon or a gods forbid a fight.

Needing to sleep to level is also, funnily enough in the most recent Final Fantasy game and the hero is literally powered by his constant adventuring naps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not a legit solution since race change effects in general are a bad plan but I played a campaign where normal elves are pitch black because, well sun god, and the punishment for losing the sun gods favor was losing the protection from the sun until you basically became super Irish and avoided sunlight purely due to skin irritation. Ways to lose the sun gods favor included things like marrying outside the faith, leaving the forest, etc so these people still weren't evil they just weren't orthodox elves.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kavak posted:

Investment brokers who don't do market research?

The only market research you need to do is the size of the dividends per share.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You thought you were following dracula, but it was I, Dio!

Now when can i shoot blood out of my eyes, posess others to do evil, freeze people and live on as a decapitated head and eventually take over another persons body

Do does Ordo Dracul have a way to spawn Italian people with my Vampire powers or is this game useless, useless, useless?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is this even a question? It's Gobbos all the way down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except Odysseus, who eventually got home.

This is 20 years after leaving home, spending nearly a decade in a soldier prison camp, then going on a horrific adventure where everyone dies and his loyal and extremely long lived dog dies upon his return. I mean, he's a real piece of work as far as people go, but the dude does do quite a bit of suffering.

Please ignore the long period of time sleeping with a woman that wasn't his wife in luxury on some gorgeous Greek island.

The scribe/hero/deity Kui Xing never faced a challenge he couldn't defeat, but his super power is being the god of standardized test-taking and was so ugly he had to be ascended straight to heaven so he could have his body changed into words and work remote since humans other couldn't bear to look at him so, uh, that might not be the most traditional of heroic characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, usually they eat people WHILE doing the stuff an ordinary lord does.

Ideally they lower the taxes and all, but in reality, "this extravagant castle is a suitable tribute to my magnificence and as The Count, shouldn't I have wealth beyond all mortal avarice? Get back to work, peasant, and pray I do not take your children." is more often the norm. The romantic ideal, like Vlad, is actually rather rare.

At the same time, a vampire boss is probably a terrible manager of time and status updates as well as exactly how much a human can actually do, so you go "oh as such a frail human I can move but one brick a day" and it takes you 6 generations to build them an outhouse and they still feel like it got done really fast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

By the by if youre in the mood to see how Beast could have been go check out the film Split. I dont want to spoil it but it covers all the bases and sets up an ongoing campaign.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait why doesnt hellstromme kill himself to power it? Like itd still be railroady as gently caress but at least thatd be sensical and coherent plot arc.

Like what even happens to the planet you leave behind?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Because it has to be a straight up murder, not a willing sacrifice.

Also: I'm betting no one knows or cares, again, the story is there to railroad the party to New Hell World populated by "totally not inuits".

I get that, but based on what ive read it sounds like most players would view hellstrome as super worth murdering, so if he tagged along hed go assuming theyre going to kill him giving the players a free out and if they murder one of their own have the dead person take over hellstrom or who gives a poo poo this plot is terrible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good lord this entire adventure is terrible. I don't even know how multiple people, much less one, sat down and was like this both fun to play and fun to read. Beyond just insulting the players at each turn, this story isn't even fit shine the shoes of a 10 cent pulp novel.

Also, chalk me up as a person who had no idea Deadlands eventually went to outserspace and completely abandoned the weird west aesthetic in favor of really, really bad Phantasy Star.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on my avatar I believe we can all safely understand that I fuckin love Gambit, but even I will tell you in comics he is abysmally bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth Various posted:

What's the actual difference between Matilda and Carrie, after all?

Matilda lives.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Having once suffered through part of Mortal Kombat Mytholgies: Sub-Zero I am obligated to inform you that Sub-Zero and his allies are Lin Kuei and not Ninjas.

Scorpion though, hes a filthy Ninja.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Question about Fight since Im loving the concept: are their air juggles, resets, or mixups? Also can you do 2v2 or 3v3 battles and take you for a ride, take you for a ride?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well Doresh youve completely sold me on Fight. It has Bounce.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey Doresh, that throw element feature you discussed is the Street Fighter feature of option select. You press a combination of attack buttons and a direction, so if you dont have the distance for a throw it tosses out the punch but if you do it does the throw. It can also be used defensively to tech against throws which helped make SFIV defense feel extra stout.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think and do not quote me here, that Pushblock comes from Darkstalkers originally. Darkstalkers also features crouch walking, supers which augmented your entire move sets, and a curiously handsome fishman.

The Zangeif move that has projectile immunity is Spinning Lariat.

The dropped combo resulting in a stun sounds like it could be many thingg s. It could be a really punishing version of a combo drop such as from games with p-linkig the worst of all combo mechanics, a blown due to randomness Faust combo, missed Jigglypuff combo, or any of a variety of supers with long built in taunt animations where if you whiff youre going to eat fist from the opponent while your character brags.

I may have missed it but are their rules for damage scaling or the magic pixel?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you dont have an interest in transforming a T-rex into a schoolgirl with a still full sized T-rex head so you can play a damaging version of seven minutes in heaven I dont think Vampire Savior is for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

One of the Darkstalker games had a T-rex?

Capcom Fighting Evolution. Its where we learn that Demtris fantasy for Chun-Li is to put on some goddamn pants and that Demtri is a big ol' Jojos nerd. The amazing T-Rex bit is near the end of the below clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Lfg1NkPdk

Also if were going to design a fighter in Fight Im voting for Pullum Parna, who has lethal forced group dancing and a tag move where she hurts you by making her tag partner bounce the victim on their belly while Pullum does jump poses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Siivola posted:

For thos who don't follow the news, pretty much this actually happened back in December: http://fortune.com/2016/12/29/dentsu-president-resigns-suicide-overwork/

All I wish is for neon signs to make a comeback. Then we'd live in a proper cyberpunk future.

While it seems noble, the timing is suspicious in so far as the business is conducting a multibillion dollar review of misapropriation and incorrect billing for agencies associates with it. Its an rumor hes using that to dodge admitting culpability in the obvious billing scandal where its too systemic for him not to be involved as a face saving "I did it"

Im loving fight because it has gone out of its way to encorporate as many fighting game gimmicks as possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder why the same love affair hasn't been translated to China, despite the fact it fills the same position. Instead it's more just fear and dread.

Id argue its because Japan was a) very top level takeovers so the idea of culture was mythologized and b) the US beat them in a war and their population was smaller so there was no existential country ending dread associated with it. Part C) is, critically, Chinese history is poorly understood and lacks romantic historical memes to latch onto like the Samurai and Ninja so you end up with less random co-opting of things from say the Three Kingdoms era. Art of War though, that made it through.

Oh and their current media output is basically legally mandated to be absolute trash so their isnt much interest in their home made media as of yet.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 13, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flavivirus posted:

In fact the process seems to be happening in reverse, with a lot of Hollywood blockbusters adding extensive China-set sections to be more appealing to the Chinese market.

Thats also due to laws and kickback schemes, as well as laws against owning a movie studio and a theater chain not existing and Wanda specifically being a guy who wants China to have film presence and prestige. Friend of my wifes family is responsible for Marvel in China, so uh, its an interesting topic.

TV in china is extra dire as its limited to 4 approved settings for fiction, and rampant abuse by big networks to legally prevent iterating on succesful or unique concepts, and heavy government interference and meddling.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doresh thank you for putting that together. That seems like a lot of work, but its quite cool how Fight does make all of her moves feel pretty distinct.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LordAbaddon posted:

Strangely I think the universe is more horrifying if, for all this supernatural stuff, cars still kill more people than any supernatural group.

Well until the new Cars: The Tunering line comes out and we learn about the five clans of cars (suv, pickup, sedan, convertible, van) and how they secretly rule the world as they can determine when and how all the other splats arrive at places and car accidents are cars feeding or killing those who are too close to unraveling the mystery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trucks, Classic (sample villain: Christopher), Work Vans, Construction Vehicles, and Luxury Vehicles are all antagonist groups for your Auto-Caravan to fight against.

Cars of each type are also sorted into organizations called "Makes" which give them additional benefits and drawbacks such as additional horsepower or heaters that don't work in the winter.

Power Level Trait: Horsepower
Morality Trait: Steering
Energy Trait: Fuel (revised from gasoline in second edition due to addition of electric element powers)
Learned Powers: Licenses

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil trains, elevators, buses, etc are known as the Routed. They are vehicles that have given up The Open Road in order to reliably gain fuel. This trade off, inevitably drives them obsessive over some detail to the point of madness and infringement on their scheduled paths causes them to lash out violently against the Driven.

All Driven are called to make "The Trip" a supernatural calling to make an endless journey dictated by instinctual "Rules of the Road". Breaking rules of the road can cause steering loss, which as it degrades will either result in death or transforming into a Routed. Driven, however, hunger constantly new locales, freedom, and critically, fuel. Their only way of interacting in the human world, which can be done by sacrificing a tremendous amount of horsepower, is as "Drivers" who have all the same needs as their true form and must still obey The Rules of the Road even if it conflicts with human society.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought the point was to act like all the words in Vampire were modern Italian and then talk like youre from Jersey shore. "You need the vita, bro?? Mangia! Mangia!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I want Keanu Reeves to GM my games.

Hes a pretty good dm, allows a lot of flexibilty in character design and doesnt force too much in character roleplay. Only real negative is in combat he makes you roll to confirm hits twice, but at least when you do it instantly kills the foe you are fighting.