Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
It's important to remember that "I change the myth" Heroquesting is the exception and not the rule of interacting with the Godtime, the priests and peoples of the religions you're trying to change reenact those myths in the Godtime through their own religious observances all the time, you're not operating in a vacuum. The usual, and still powerful, interaction is rather to say "I am the myth," tying a personal or national struggle into an already existing myth and heroquesting such that your own problems resolve the way the myth does. This is how Arkat is resurrected, by mirroring the resurrection of Yelm as the rising morning sun. It's powerful, profound magic, and while still extremely difficult it is far more reliable and sustainable than retroactively rewriting history, which can entail all kinds of unforeseen externalities that will really gently caress things up.

So you're probably not going to change the myths such that "this nation's god subjugated rival nation's god" as a lone murderhobo, you're going to change the myth as part of the process of conquering that nation with an army and an imposed syncretic religious movement backed up by entire orders of priests heroquesting the desired outcome. But it willchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Prithee, dost thou mean Eoris Essence?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Our game focuses on highly detailed societies as one of its main points of appeal, and aims to give non-combat interactions deep mechanical crunch as one of the game's key design goals. Alas, we can't give players rules to actually do that. We are very concerned about giving players rules that could create fiction we don't like at their game tables, and even more concerned about what people who never even play the game but only post about it online might theorycraft about those rules. This concern unfortunately limits what we can put in the game.

We can however trust our fanbase to use magic rape ghosts responsibly.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Exalted is a very good example of the challenges of writing a "realistic" (within a fantasy setting) imperialist antagonist: no matter how much you intend to clearly spell out that they are awful people doing irredeemable awful things, some of your most dedicated fans are always going to side with the fasc because the only thing holding them back from identifying whole hog as fascist in real life is generic westernized americana "We beat the germans and they were bad and fascist but we are good and not, because we beat them."

Take away the aesthetic flavour, present the raw politics of imperial exploitation, and you're guaranteed to have some people gleefully lining up to toe the oppressor's line.

Which is not to say that you shouldn't write imperialist and fascist antagonists into fiction. It's an important narrative space to probe and attack in play. You just need to be ready to own up to the price of people declaring allegiance with the enemy.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

megane posted:

Uhh, did you not read the bit where the spells are named Sound of Hoofbeats Scatters the Flock??

I know the reality is that Monte Cook is actually aware of other games (he at least read enough oWoD to... somehow make it even more mechanically incoherent) and all these hollow purple prose "big ideas" are probably just a cynical hustle to cash in on suckers who don't know any better because they never left the D&D ghetto.

But I like to imagine that if you showed him something like Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine he would have a heartbreaking moment of enlightenment just before his head exploded.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

Right and I guess it's just the latter that is giving me some trouble. I've played Nobilis 3E before so Chuubo's action resolution system isn't an issue to me. It's probably something I'd have to see played to really 'get', that's usually how it works. Are there are any examples of play floating around on the internet?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/248940/Finding-Home-Two-Examples-of-Play

There's two examples of play by the author in here (with marginalia about what is happening and why) and the document is pay what you want. It really helped me, worth the recommended 3 bux if you can manage.

It took a while to really click for me as well, the trick is to get your head around the core loop of each player picking the skeleton of narrative out for themselves beforehand and then filling in the details in play with the quest milestones and XP actions, then throwing in a couple challenges and twists with Issues (remember to use Issues!) Once you've got that down the bigger stuff like how they all flow together into a cohesive plot isn't actually so bad.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

UA magic is a terrible idea that you're doing anyway because you have brain problems.

So what you're saying here is that playing Invisible Sun will give me magic powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Montemancer, drawing magic from the paradox of only playing games that are only fun when you ignore the rules, written setting, and intended style, but still founding your identity on them and obsessing over their texts.

Spend a significant charge, curse someone to obsessively document and share everything you write even though they hate it. This is real bleeding edge personal horror.