Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Beast is probably the first WoD game where I really can't see how you'd even play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

One of the reasons why I decided to scrub the Catholic Church from my own 17th century project is that elfgame stuff that deals with the Catholic Church (or the Not-Catholic Church, like in 7th Sea) tends to be a load of crap.

The worst offender is probably the never-saw-print UA book about the Catholic mage hunters.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How do you feel about the 40k treatment?

I don't actually know anything about 40k except through general internet osmosis.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

How about the Malleus Maleficarum in H:tV?

It seems kind of lame compared to the other Hunter groups.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't that basically Millenium?

Millennium is modernist, UA is postmodernist.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A lot of it to me just demonstrates that Nazi propaganda was so effective than even today it's become ingrained in our pop culture and parroted without consideration. That's not to say you can't ever do stories with Nazis gaining access to advanced science, but it should be done with a historical awareness that these pulp stories almost universally lack.

Nazi superscience in elfgames is probably because elfgames are more or less designed by cargo cult anyway.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

Can't we stick to Nazi occult stuff like Delta Green? It killed a lot fewer people than their scientists, and it's more interesting.

The Ahnenerbe actually did kill people for racial studies.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess I should warn everyone ahead of time: In Godlike, someone did try the old "Let's torture someone until they get superpowers!" routine. It did exactly what that always does.

If you're doing Will To Power, copypaste The Best Sidebar.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you mean the one that talks about how the Nazis gave their Untermenschen special badges, and then the Allies reminded them of a cool new military technology called "a sniper?"

The one that says "so you actually want to play an SS member? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU"

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Godlike's stuff about Finland is absolutely loving hilarious because it's pretty obvious no one even looked at a map while writing it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I always assumed this was a knowing jab at the player characters' pretenses to moral superiority (and at least for the Carthians in Requiem, I'm pretty sure it is). No matter how loudly you may proclaim your sympathies with the working class, you are still the privileged beneficiary of their subjugation on top of being a literal blood-sucking parasite. When the chips are down, you're far more likely to side with the vicious apparatus of vampiric society and the Masquerade than the humans they (and you) prey upon, even though those things are loving you too, because actually CHANGING things to help the proles would require real and painful sacrifice on your part.

This isn't to excuse all the terrible poo poo in the oWoD, only to say that I can't tell how much of it was a flawed premise vs. the writers taking a good premise and loving it up.

Idk, that would require oWoD to be smart and thoughtful, which it really isn't. It pretends to be it, tho.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Loki is Odin's lawyer.

Would play a game of Asgard Legal feat. Denny Cranesson and Loki Shore.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But I don't know how many times I've been like "Man, who would want to play the Tax Accountant class? Nobody!" and somebody will bust in through the door and be like "Actually I was in a game where I played a tax accountant collecting the Imperial Tithe in Dark Heresy and we took down fatcats corrupted by chaos and it was awesome!" You never know who might like a thing.

Also a whole lot of elfgamers seem to be unable to tell the difference between "good/sensible design decisions" and "my personal preferences."

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Was Middenarde the game where a bird can own you so hard you can go unconcious?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Wonder why the colleges never came up with giving kickbacks to the Witch Hunters for delivering them students.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

kommy5 posted:

Probably because any possibility of the wizards giving bribes to their official watchdogs is the kind of thing that would make the Empire’s government come down like a ton of bricks.

That would be a modern concept. If it just encourages the Witch Hunters to do their jobs better, it would be ok in a pre-modern world like Warhammer Fantasy's.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Cleburne is a dude who often gets mentioned by Lost Causers, but he was completely ostracized during the war and after his suggestions, he stopped getting promoted.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Nessus posted:

They could just talk up Longstreet instead. Yet mysteriously enough he sort of gets forgotten and all his military successes seem to just kind of float into Marse Robert's pocket. it's because Longstreet got on the side of the angels up to and including riding out against racists in New Orleans. He lived til 1904 and got radiation therapy for eye cancer!

Longstreet got damnatio memoriae'd by the father of the Lost Cause, Jubal Early. Apparently Early absolutely hated Longstreet post-war and went on to blame Longstreet for every failure that was actually Traitor Lee's.

What grinds my gears about Lost Causers (this is a minor nitpick but anyway): there's often poo poo like "Bad Confederate Nathan Bedford Forrest. Good And Honorable Confederate Bobbie Lee." Of these two dudes ( they were both assholes, mind you), only Forrest realized later on he had been wrong. Lee never saw anything wrong with the cause he fought for, or the slaughter he had created.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

My 5 eurocents about Deadlands:

I liked Deadlands a lot more before I found out that it's one of those extremely nineties kitchen sink settings. Scary Cowboy Adventures with Weird Cardsharp Magic seems like a lot of fun.

Scary Cowboy Adventures, But The Confederates Are Cool Now, California Exploded And Also Kinda The 4 Horsemen Are Around, There's Also Weird Science And Skeleton Uranium is way too busy for me.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Unreliable narration is an extremely difficult technique to use to begin with, and not good for a reference work for an RPG setting. If you can't tell what the truth is, you have to make it up yourself, and then what's the point of having the book?

The one book that got good mileage out of using that was the Old World Bestiary for Warhamsters Fantasy RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It has to go wrong or the characters won't learn and grow from it, you see! That's where you get the EXP from.

I'm absolutely certain that's the thinking involved and it's dumb as hell.

It's like Monte read Burning Wheel while hosed up on Everclear and gas station spice and wrote what he remembered of it.