Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Worth noting the whole Starfinger solar system appears to just be cut-and-pasted from Pathfinder: Distant Worlds which had the same solar system overview, but also statblocks for a few of the creatures. (robot dudes yes, sarcesians no)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Pretty sure Redshirts is already the name of a space-opera themed comedy.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Falconier111 posted:

Hey Inklesspen? Are you still reading this thread? If so, do you remember my magnum opus? And what you said when I asked you included it in your archive for posterity?

:v:

You magnificent bastard!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I have unpublished the Mystic Empyrean writeup on request of the forums poster who wrote it up.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Falconier111 posted:

Inklesspen, whenever you have time to next update the archive, I expect to see all THREE of my reviews marked as completed :colbert:

Just for this, I have altered "GURPS Asparagus" to read "Abandoned", because I am a cruel and vengeful god.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
s/He/She/ thanks

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I have a script which automatically triggers once an hour to see if there's any new posts on the thread, and if so, split apart the thread pages into individual posts and stick them in a to-be-processed database. (This means I have the entire contents of all four threads in my database; just FYI.)

Then, whenever I remember to do it, I go into the admin panel I built for this system. It's kinda barebones but it gets the job done. I have an area of the admin panel that basically replicates thread view, so I usually go down the thread with two tabs open; one on SA and one on my admin panel. For each post, I have a button that says Extract. It means 'this is gonna go in a writeup', so the site will download the image urls in the post and mirror them on my server (so I don't hotlink stuff). It then makes a copy of the post, with the new, mirrored image urls, in a holding zone. I usually do this for five or six thread pages at a time.

Then I go back to the main page and I see all the posts in the holding zone. Each one, I have to manually identify if it goes in a new writeup or an existing one. I choose the appropriate writeup from a dropdown menu, copy-paste something appropriate into the post title input box, and hit add. Sometimes at this point I remove irrelevant text at the top of posts, like if you reply to something unrelated to your writeup. I have an edit mode that lets me edit either via HTML or in a WYSIWYG editor view, but I don't use it much.

Then back to the main page to handle the next post in the holding zone. Probably takes about 30 seconds per post, and that could be reduced somewhat by having a post default to being in the last writeup by the same author, but I haven't gotten around to implementing that.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

inklesspen posted:

I have an area of the admin panel that basically replicates thread view, so I usually go down the thread with two tabs open; one on SA and one on my admin panel. For each post, I have a button that says Extract. It means 'this is gonna go in a writeup', so the site will download the image urls in the post and mirror them on my server (so I don't hotlink stuff). It then makes a copy of the post, with the new, mirrored image urls, in a holding zone. I usually do this for five or six thread pages at a time.

I just wanna add: if I've missed a post or writeup of yours, this is why. I don't have the time or interest to fully read every post on this thread, so if while skimming the thread it's not obvious your post is part of a writeup, I can easily miss it. (This is one of the reasons I ask you to not reply to unrelated posts at the top of your writeup posts.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Angrymog posted:

Well, when generating an invite, it is possibly to make them last forever.

Also maybe put them in the TG Chat thread?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Hostile V posted:

LIBER MAGICA

EMPIRICAL THAUMATURGY

Or

I Want To Make a Sailor Moon Joke But She and Her Squad Just Straight Kick rear end

Is this a continuation of the Victoriana writeup, or should it be its own thing?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
A few pages late in responding, but here it is anyway:

PurpleXVI posted:

Literally threatened to sue the Inklesspen archive, which is why it isn't on there. Phrased it as "libelling his trademark," i.e. "what if someone reads that this thing I've put on Kickstarter is actually a hot pile of garbage and then won't buy it." Was also extremely unwilling to take any sort of critique. But yes, read the review. It's kind of staggering. I tried to quote some of the best commentary at the start of my posts, just to make sure they got archived as well because some of it's funnier than what I wrote in the posts.

He didn't threaten to sue me. He just asked, and nobody in the thread minded if I took it down.

Subjunctive posted:

I really want that Middengarde F&F up on the site. How much do I have to promise to the slam-dunk-fair-use legal defence fund for that to happen?

I feel like he has a point on the very nice art that PurpleXVI embedded in the posts. Were it not for that I'd be happy to put it back in.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
That's kinda-sorta :effort: but if you wanna make a properly snarky placeholder I guess I'm down.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
The archive should be up to date once more now btw.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Wrestlepig posted:

In 1977, A game called Dungeons and Dragons was invented. Almost immediately after, a budding anthropology student and game designer thought he could do a better job. The result was a long-running series, the latest version of which is:

So, wait, what is the actual title of this F&F writeup? I need to know for archiving reasons.

NoWayToTheOldWay posted:

Uh, not to toot my own horn, but...

I never said they weren't plagiarized, just that Star-Lord was really upset at the high res art in the writeup, and if I'm going to go through and add the old writeup to the site again, I want some low-effort way of swapping it out.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

JcDent posted:

Inkless should include that interview bit into the archive.

Nah.

What I include in the archive is what people post in their writeups. Don't like it? Post a writeup.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
After a hiatus of some months, the F&F archive is once more up to date.

I marked 25 writeups as 'abandoned'. Some of them may well have been complete, but lacked any obvious 'The End' marker for me to be sure. Feel free to let me know if I have unjustly libeled you.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 29, 2018

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Libertad! posted:

Hello everyone. Way back in late 2013 I wrote up a Fatal and Friends on Zak S' Vornheim product. I am no longer able to edit the original posts, but as the review is archived on the Inkless Pen site, I'm making a formal request for it to be taken down. Some major CW in the following links for many triggers:

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/libertad/vornheim-the-complete-city-kit/

I'd prefer to either have my review deleted entirely, or edited to delete the content and replace it with this statement, depending on which gives the least unnecessary hassle to the site owner:

Protip: the best way to accomplish this is to PM me, not to post it here and hope I'll see it. (I am currently somewhere around January 16 in processing this thread, and I skip reading most non-writeup posts.

Anyway, I've just unpublished it.

(Also, it's not the "Inkless Pen" site. It's just the .com version of my handle.)

Edit: if you don't have PMs, I am on Arivia's "SA Trad Games" discord and the #persona channel in IRC.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 23, 2019

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

I hope it's cross-compatible with the Harry Potter rpg you're also doing. I want to see if expecto patronum can take down an Angel.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
NGE appears to be a mecha show, but it's actually pretty much entirely about emotional distance and mental trauma (which goes a long way to explain why Bliss Stage is like that). The Evangelion v Angel fights serve the same purpose as a monster-of-the-week fight in Sailor Moon; they're vehicles for learning about the characters, not worthwhile fights in their own right.

Accordingly, you would need some kind of system that would let you do mecha v kaiju (or senshi v youma) fights with that understanding baked into the mechanics. Otherwise you're just going to end up with the same flaws AdEva has, because you can't get at what the show is actually about if you engage directly with the symbols instead of with their meanings.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
So, uh, "Back East" deserves the warning banner, right?

Mors Rattus posted:

No, Haiti's freedom was won in blood. The slave rebellions were, uh, a huge deal.

Won in blood and then crippling debt, enforced by threat of arms, with the connivance of the US.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
We've also got , which so far I think is used just for "Charnel Houses of Europe".

I'm happy to add either banner to anyone's writeup; probably best to send a PM or Discord message to be sure I spot it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

There's also wishy-washy suggestions for a sea-based campaign where you fight at sea using the awful crush depth/sea equipment rules. There's a suggestion of having a giant helicarrier for, uh, reasons. No, I don't know why you'd bother, I guess they just wanted to write about it and not really give any useful suggestions for doing it because they think it looks cool. Also a generic 'Oh what if you really play up how magical and spooky angels are and be Lovecraftian!!!' suggestion. To be fair, AdEva DOES have a better ruleset than Cthulhutech if you just want to play Cthulhutech. The real solution is to play neither.

Children of an Elder God was a good fanfic though.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

I don't think this ever came up explicitly in the show, the idea that Adam and Lillith are terraforming devices. Anyway, this is a dumb add-on plot point for a super item that is designed to help mankind eventually 'ascend' and become a proper powerful creation of the 'First Ancestral Race', and it actually explains the entire plot in exposition if someone can get at it. This is a stupid loving thing to put in an Eva game and I don't know why it's here besides the fact that the game's authors are hacks.

That is from Anno-approved lore that was loredripped through computer terminals in one of the tie-in videogames. Naturally, in a fandom that's as starved for explanation as NGE, the high king nerdlords have taken it as gospel.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What the actual gently caress. Yes, it's just a magical creation that doesn't seem to be properly alive, but having it referred to as "this thing", "this monstrosity", or "it" feels telling and gross. I don't even have it in me to ... ugh.

Hey, uh, should I throw a warning banner on this review, maybe?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

PurpleXVI posted:

Love the retrospective, Jerik. But as a recommendation, you may want to start each post with a consistent bolded title, it helps the nice guy who maintains the F&F archive when he's hunting the thread for posts that need to be hauled over there.

Thanks for suggesting that. However...

Not a guy.

(And yeah, I'm currently indexing page 1097. It's fun!)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

KingKalamari posted:

marked as "Abandoned" on Inkless pen

Look, it's my username. It's not "Inkless pen", it's "inklesspen". (And, yep, I'm up to page 1117. Whee!)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Aberrant has me itching to go ahead and review Wild Talents: Progenitor.

:justpost:

(The one good thing about pages and pages of Eclipse Phase fights is it makes the archiving job much quicker, and now I'm on page 1125.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
And alright, I'm all caught up!

The following writeups have not gotten updated in the last 60 days and are now marked as abandoned: Fight! The Fighting Game RPG, Vampire: The Requiem: Half-Damned, Torchbearer, Dark Revelations, Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor, Infinity - The Roleplaying Game, Etherscope, Mutant Epoch, Star Trek Adventures, GURPS CthulhuPunk

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Y'all are forgetting Stats for Jesus.

To be fair, I wish I could forget it too.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

kommy5 posted:

Yeah, and? I mean, what it's doing is kinda normal in this setting by my understanding. Between psychosurgery and merging forks and whatnot, it just sounds like a particularly unique and interesting morph. That you get a copy of yourself put into for free.

I mean, by EP understanding, is it actually a monster?

There's a morph in the "Eclipse Phase: Transhuman" book called the "Freeman", and apparently if you're the sort of person who would be a Vault Overseer in a different post-apocalypse, you just hand these morphs out to your "citizens". They're biological morphs, very nice. Except they also have an AI implanted watching your every move and the brain's been modded slightly to let the AI wipe your memories.

From the posthuman point of view, the Hollow is less desirable a morph than the Freeman, because not only are you subject to mind-control, but the person holding the controls isn't human or human-created, and you can't desleeve if you realize you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

AmiYumi posted:

Also inklesspen, I went back and timg'd the banner on all my posts because I had been inconsistent about it. I don't know if your archive does timg-ing or not, but figured I should mention.

Yeah it does, but it doesn't pick up changes after I've already archived a post; I'd have to do it manually.