Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think, though we haven't gotten far enough into Beast, that with Mage you can explain a bit of Beast cosmology as long as you accept Mage uber alles as far as cosmology goes.

Mage and Werewolf agree on 90% of stuff since most werewolves don't give a poo poo about both dreamworlds and the supernal realms, just the Shadow. In Mage and Werewolf 1e, both mages and werewolves claimed it was their doing that caused the split between the material and Shadow, but as of Dark Eras, it's semi-canon that the fall of Atlantis happened 'before???' (maybe) the fall of Pangaea.

Anyway, Beasts and the Dark Mother originate from the 'Primordial Dream'.
As both Beast and Mage state, 'astral realms' are made up of three layers - the Oneiros, which is your personal dreamworld; the Temenos, which is humanity's collective unconscious; and the Anima Mundi, the thoughts and feelings of everything that isn't human.

The difference in theme between the Shadow and the Astral Realms has been best put to me over in the WoD thread:

Ferrinus posted:

Spirits are emergent properties of real-world situations (which may or may not include people's thoughts), whereas temenos goetia [thought beings] are direct representations of what people think.

Some Mage supplements - e.g. Legacies: The Sublime, I think, posit that there used to be no Temenos, or no real division between it and the Anima Mundi, but at some point they split apart. There isn't hard evidence for this, but it seems true enough - the Temenos didn't exist, or was empty, until humans were able to communicate thoughts to each other.

The primordial dream, as far as Mage is concerned, exists on the edges of the Temenos, kind of near the Anima Mundi 'border'. They're humanity's oldest urges as humans, the primal fears and urges. The Mage point of view is that it's born out of the thoughts of humans just like the rest of the Temenos, but Beasts probably disagree. Either way, this is where Beast types and their Legend seem to come from - humanity's stories of monsters and fears.
The Dark Mother has no explanation or origin (which, for the gamelines, is probably for the best). Jury's out on whether it's an extremely powerful goetic (formed from human thought) being or is an independent entity.

Beast-Horrors come from the Primordial Dream, and take the place of the regular human soul by whatever means. This fits into both Beast and Mage cosmology, as the Astral Realms are kinda-sorta a soul-conduit. Souls in CofD are weird, don't think too much about it.

So anyway, if Beasts are a way of making humanity scared, and teaching lessons, it seems that the Dark Mother, if there is an intelligence behind it, is trying to re-strengthen the Primordial Dream inside the Temenos, since it's been pushed out of the forefront by all the other things humans think about.

I think it's a little bit of a shame that Mage got most of the Astral Realms under its purview, because while it fits in with them, you could have an entire gameline of Psychonauts influencing people's dreams and the Temenos and carrying dream-powers into the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zereth posted:

You do need to assume that Beast's line about the Primordial Dream being super mega important and them being ~totally kin~ to everything else is complete bullshit, though.

I mean, this is not a bad thing here. Plus it pushes Beasts from their claim of "Oh humanity has forgotten these ancient terrors, and that's bad" to "Humanity has forgotten these ancient terrors, because they're not relevant to modern life anymore" which makes a lot more sense than Beast's claim on the topic.

Oh yeah, that part is bullshit and I'm pretty sure no supernatural being has anything close in their backstory to that making sense. Vampire semi-canon is actually, last I checked, convergent evolution - the different 'clans' are actually different supernatural beings that happened to gain the same traits, and the original Mekhet, for example, is actually some kind of cave monster.

That said, it makes some amount of sense if you interpret that kinship as Beast-Horrors actually being born from the Temenotic concepts of other beings - from human thoughts of werewolves, and vampires, and also the fact that, as being all somewhat derived from humans, these supernatural beings all have their own spaces in the Temenos.

It also explains why Beasts hate Demons - Demons aren't human, and never were. No Temenos exists for Demons, because the Demon shared consciousness is cut off from them - it's the God-Machine.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The way new Werewolf gifts work with renown is pretty cool! Like Geist, but better.

Also reinforces the thought I had:
Can a mage beat a werewolf? Sure.
But first that mage had better get themselves teleported at least to the other side of the country or else they're going to get wrecked before they even figure out what they're going to do.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Being a Sin-Eater is rad, it's like being a Mage. You get all this awesome power and mostly the only downside is that now you can see weird stuff and you feel like maybe you should do something about it.
And also other supernaturals.

The first couple weeks of being either are probably pretty irritating if you're trying to spend some time being vaguely normal though. Sin-Eaters always see ghosts so maybe they can't stay over at a friend's place any more because that goddamn ghost with no eyes is there and won't leave and won't say anything either it just keeps not-staring.
Meanwhile as a Mage you have an inbuilt weirdness detector so even if you're trying to use no magic whatsoever maybe you go about your business and on your way to work DING and you walk past some people DING and then you talk to your boss DINGDINGDINGDING and now you either wanna use your powers and figure it out, or have to live with your boss being maybe a vampire or a wizard or a werewolf or a disguised member of a lost tribe of monkey men and just never knowing except that they're something weird.

And then you find out his snowglobe on his desk just has gravity reversed inside it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is there mention in Werewolf 2e of what happens with werewolves in cultures that don't really have any kind of wolf association? I'm thinking many island cultures where the closest thing is wild dogs that aren't native. Australia in particular has the closest things be the extinct thylacine (which is about as genetically related to wolves as cats are, i.e. not very) and the dingo, which might have originated from semi-domesticated Asian dogs over 10,000 years ago.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Count Chocula posted:

You could run a terrifying campaign set in the Outback, Wake in Fright style. 'Feral' is already a common Australian adjective applied to HUMANS... adding were-creatures into the mix would be HORRIFIC.

No Australian born in the past 40 years will ever treat anything labelled as 'The Ferals' seriously.

All thanks to the above cuddly fellows, present for a long time on children's TV.
The rabbit was named Mixy. myxomatosis

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Simian_Prime posted:

Look at that stoned cat. He's high as face.

In personality, Modigliana the cat was closer to being an Australian Miss Piggy. Derryn the dog was the more stoned.

Overall, they were somewhat of a pastiche of Australian lower-class culture - as Count Chocula pointed out, 'feral' was a semi-popular insult among that crowd, which is why it was combined literally with the concept of Australia's feral animals.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 9, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mors Rattus posted:

The Alice isn't a big town, and it is very spiritual. The Fire-Touched like it that way, and like to recruit the desperate there. The weak Loci in town also tend to form around social tragedies, which gives the Fire-Touched an advantage. Out in the mountains, meanwhile, are huge cave networks. EVery year some tragedy leads to a new Locus out in the dark, and the Forsaken watch them closely. At leasto nce a year, some kind of monster will come out to hunt, and usually the Lodge is not fast enough to stop them before someone dies. The real danger, though, is the Gap - an American military base near the Alice. A few years ago, a farmer found a burned out metal container after a fireball crashed into the ground. He gave it to the cops, who gave it to the soldiers, who sent it to the Gap. Now...well, last time some Fire-Touched thrill-killers went to mess with the soldier boys, the humans opened fire as soon as they cleared the outer perimeter, and every fifth bullet was silver. The Pure died horribly, and the humans took their bodies. Today, the Gap is locking out the townsfolk that normally work there, increasing guard patrols and sending scouts out to town. Everyone's uneasy, and the soldiers stare at everyone with cold, cold eyes. Someone opened the container, and now whatever was in it is loose again.

Australians would certainly call Alice Springs 'tragic', yes. I'm surprised they just didn't write up the entire town as a Wound.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2009 there were 1432 recorded assaults in Alice Springs, with 65% of assaults involving alcohol. Reported assaults had almost doubled since 2004. The Territory's Southern Region Police Commander, Anne-Marie Murphy said that itinerancy, domestic violence and alcohol were the main factors driving up crime rates.

In the 2009-10 financial year, the Northern Territory Justice Department's Quarterly Crime & Justice Statistics report recorded that there were 1632 reported cases of theft, and 906 reports of property damage in Alice Springs. 774 homes and businesses were broken into during the 2009-10 financial year.

Crime increase

The NT Justice Department's Quarterly Crime & Justice Statistics report documented increases across multiple categories of crime in Alice Springs in the 6 years between the 2004-05 and the 2009-10 reporting periods. Recorded cases of assault rose by 87%, sexual assault offences rose by 97%, and house break-ins increased by 64%
Break-ins to commercial premises rose by 185%, and 'motor vehicle theft and related offences' increased by 97% on 2004-05 figures.
2015 saw national concern focused on youth crime in Alice Springs, including incidents in which rocks were thrown at police.

Response to crime

In 2008, the Alice Springs town council began to hire private security guards to patrol the town, at a cost of $5000 per week. The Northern Territory government has been accused of underfunding social services for Aboriginal people in Alice Springs, as part of a wider problem of underfunding across central Australia. Alice Springs Mayor Damien Ryan has indicated that crime has increased as more people migrated into the city from remote communities.
Some long-time residents of Alice Springs have moved away as a direct result of crime concerns. Local businesses have spent increased amounts to upgrade the physical security of their premises from property crime, including the use of high security fences, razor wire and security cameras.

Alice Springs: Literally nicer in the CofD under the Pure than it is in real life.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lynx Winters posted:

Like some kind of book about breeds of animals... that change... yeah, it could work!

Yes, War Against the Pure was a good book and was absolutely the only book about other were-things lalalala I can't hear you lalalalalala.

Also werewolf is a cool game because, especially with the whole bans and banes thing, Spirits make great antagonists and NPCs for any WoD line. "The Lady of Midday is angry and is killing people with heatstroke" is a plot that most supernaturals all might have an interest in and interesting ways to tackle - even vampires get to think "WTF is killing our ghouls?"

On the flipside I looked up both Poludnica, and the mean summer temperature in Poland.
22 degrees C. 71 F.

drat Poland, if you weren't so anti-immigration (at least in real life, and ethnically homogenous) then maybe Polish werewolves could get some real help just grabbing some foreigners to help hunt.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 10, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That reminds me - from the new World of Darkness 1e corebook, who was the more terrifying opponent - the policeman, or the dog?

I remember reading that for DaveB's Soul Cage actual play report, when one of the PCs fought the embodiment of a police officer in the Temenos - the idealised image of a police officer, tough and mean - he just used the regular police stats.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm excited for more Better Angels!

Also I want to know where these supervillains get these names.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The God-Machine's most obvious purpose, if it has any discernible purpose at all, is to continue existing and reinforcing itself. Sometimes this means that it redirects an asteroid that would cause planetary extinction. Sometimes that means killing a bunch of people who were close to finding it out - and if the easiest way to do that is a genocide of their entire demographic, so be it.

In theory, I think that there does exist a 'perfect ending' where not only is the God-Machine exposed to humanity at large, but becomes allied with it and forms a mutually beneficial relationship.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Count Chocula posted:

Humanity's purpose should be continuing to exist. Is there an ending where Humanity (possibly lead by Mages) merges with the God Machine, gaining it's immortality and purpose but tempering it with compassion?

If Mages are capable of perceiving the God-Machine (and they both exist in whatever campaign is being run), they likely see it as a tool of the Exarchs, since it shares some general goals (reinforcing the status quo, keeping humans as pawns).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The way the God-Machine 'thinks' is reminiscent to me of a mini-RPG Vincent Baker wrote to prove a point, Rock of Tahamaat.
In RoT, one player is Rock of Tahamaat, a space tyrant ruling over multiple worlds. Rock's player has to write on their sheet of paper 'No mere individual can hold my notice'.

When it's Rock's turn, Rock does whatever space tyrants do, and then gives out his orders (usually in response to the other, regular player characters rebelling against him somewhere). Rock doesn't speak his orders directly - he has a team of psychics attending him for that. Who sometimes get things wrong, but whatever.

Anyway, because Rock thinks individual people are beneath him, all Rock's orders are targeted at groups, although Rock can intersect groups as much as he wants. So while he can't say "Find and execute John Doe", he can say "Execute all members of the Doe family" or "Execute all member of the Doe family on Planet Alpha in the Priest caste".

I can imagine the God-Machine working much like that. It doesn't know what an individual is, only that things belong to groups.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't the whole point of ROCK OF TAHAMAAT to demonstrate that making a PC have to declare their action, see if they can declare their action, and then roll to resolve the action means you have so many chances of failure that nothing actually happens most of the time?

I like saying ROCK OF TAHAMAAT!

It's that from the PC side.
From Rock's side, it's also demonstrating the possible flaws in a single-roll system where you only have one axis, or having a high level of abstraction. The intended way the game plays out (I actually did play it once, as a one-shot), Rock's player realises that they can execute and dominate and do whatever all they want, but the restrictions placed on Rock mean that they can never actually get the thing they want. The Doe family gets executed - but John Doe will survive to take revenge and lead the rebellion. The rebellion headquarters will be destroyed... but John Doe will be there with a ragtag bunch of the other PCs, ready to infiltrate the palace. And so on.

You can read it here http://lumpley.com/index.php/anyway/thread/462 , it's a short fun read.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 27, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't get cure light wounds.

Maybe it's healing wounds? Or not?

And the higher your level, the less it heals?

Unless it's not healing at all?

:confused:

What a loss of HP represents (and a gain) is 100% contextual at time of loss or gain. From 1e to 5e, the books are clear that HP represent some mixture of luck, willpower, stamina, 'sixth sense', dodging, and flesh wounds in the form of bruises and cuts (the 'bloodied' condition in several editions). Perhaps the best way to think about HP is that every attack roll that beats your AC is fatal - you 'spend' HP to describe how it wasn't fatal.

Cure Wounds spells presumably both heal those minor bruises and scratches, and also restore some of that fighting spirit. Naturally, a higher level character has so much fighting spirit in them that a little bit of cure light wounds is barely noticeable unless they're almost out of HP.
This is actually 100% explicit in the 1e ADnD DMG, but even in 5e you can see the same explanation.

Of course, this is all only true for DnD - other games have their own explanations. In WoD/ChroD, for example, health levels really are wounds.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 30, 2016

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I know there was at least one plane that got all the way to the test flight stage before people realised it didn't have a way to safely land.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Default Settings posted:

I've been asked by a friend to run a game that "doesn't involve non-violent communication, which is making me aggressive" (she's currently studying to be a teacher).

So I wondered: Which is the most brutal, most graphically violent pen-and-paper RPG* you guys know?

* don't even mention loving FATAL

3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars is basically Starship Troopers: The Movie: The RPG.
You have only two main stats at character creation, from which everything else is defined: Fighting Ability, and Non-Fighting Ability.
Damage is measured in 'kills'. e.g. a machine gun kills d20ish aliens per round.

It's pretty great.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wiegieman posted:

3:16 is also not completely a game about killing all the aliens everywhere, but what kind of people willingly (or not so willingly) seek out a career fighting aliens. Notably, the only real end for a campaign of it is to turn on the Earth that cast you out and destroy it, before destroying yourselves.

Hey now, it's also possible for the newly promoted Brigadier to come to this conclusion faster than anyone else, and then just detonate The Device in the likeliest looking galaxy sector before the inevitable mutiny starts rolling (planet of aliens that are genuinely a threat? aliens that are clearly no threat whatsoever? cluster of peaceful planets?).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Looking at the discussion of the TORG 'update', I'm interested to see the writeup of Godbound come back because especially going into the GM sections, it's amazing that an 'OSR' game how modern it is. The reason for it being OSR besides "I already had some of the framework done" were basically that the DnD stats felt good enough, and it made it easy to just have a ready-made bestiary of monsters and only having to write up some setting-specific monsters.

Godbound has:
- Mook/mob rules
- Rules for casually knocking over a bunch of little enemies not worth your time while you fight one big guy (in case you're fighting, like, four guys, but not a mob)
- 13th Age style backgrounds in lieu of skills
- Explicitly telling the GM not to make players roll for petty poo poo like balancing on a log over a river, only for things that would realistically challenge a demigod with a power level somewhere between Hercules and Super-Saiyan Goku
- General guidelines for how strong an enemy should be for a tough challenge
- Abstracted rules for enacting long term change over an area
- Abstract faction rules, and guides and random tables in case you quickly need to make up a faction
- Literally no encumbrance or wealth rules on the character level scale because it doesn't matter

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Daeren posted:

I actually heard enough about Godbound to get really interested in it before anyone I knew mentioned it was OSR, so hearing that was a moment of profound confusion. If I'd heard "OSR Exalted" as the very first pitch I'd have hissed and recoiled like Dracula seeing a crucifix.

Yeah, my reactions to it went like this over time.

1. "Ugh, more OSR fantasy heartbreaker crap."
2. "Huh, it actually looks kinda interesting..."
3. "Wait, it's actually 90% text complete? This actually looks good!"
4. "Hell, I might as well back it!"
5. "What the gently caress, the kickstarter delivered not just on time, but over a month early?!"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Do Vampires in VtR2e have nightvision in any real sense? I forget.

Because, like, apparently vampires have been around since before electricity, where the main source of light was fire... but aren't vampires super-afraid of vampire and tend to freak out around it?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fun thing with Shadow of the Demon Lord is that while Warrior 'naturally' leads into fighter, nobody's stopping you from going something like Magician->Fighter->Zealot. And stuff like that can work! As long as you don't pick a weird combination that spreads your stats every which way and focus in just one or two things, you can do pretty well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I only have the free downloads and what I remember from the Beta rules, but the playbooks specifically point out that you can use Look and Power for Wrestling, and that Work is only good for wrestling. I get that the usefulness of Stats in a PBTA game is limited by what's logical in the fiction, but in Monsterhearts (the gold standard IMO) the Stats are also very well balanced from a strict mechanical point of view.

I feel like unless you have a Dark-focused playbook in Monsterhearts there's not a reason to use Dark much - especially since by its nature, 'gaze into the abyss' is a move that you take when you're away from the other characters and are 'alone' (even if you might actually be tripping on drugs in the middle of a dance club), while everything else you use on other people.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Robindaybird posted:

The Union probably

Union is the best (OK, one of the best) Hunter groups because the effect they have on the local area is that the masquerade actually starts cracking and people start subtly fighting back at supernatural horrors , with things like concealed safehouses, weapons concealed on back porches for people who need one in a hurry, arson cases against supernatural strongholds being closed, etc.

Emily Esser's soul-eating is unusual from a Mage perspective, but presumably her moral compass is strong enough such that the couple of times she ate a human soul from a still-living human (which would count as a sin) she managed to shrug it off - after all, she did feel incredibly guilty about it and probably would even if it didn't kill her inside.
For most Mages, learning that she can eat Beast-souls/Horrors are likely to either have the reaction of "Awesome, tell me more" or "awesome, let's find two beasts so you can eat them but then regurgitate one of them so I can study it".

And yeah, souls in ChroD are basically a supernatural organ. Similarly to how a heart pumps blood, a soul kind of... pumps willpower? Without a soul, your willpower fades and you can't get any back from fulfilling your virtue or vice.

Technically I suppose each person has some kind of 'soul-container' in their metaphysical being that can be different shapes, and a soul fits into it like water into a bucket. Mages intentionally shape their soul-containers in various ways (it's just referred to as shaping a soul, though, since soul-swapping isn't super common) and can chop off a piece of it to make a soulstone.

I suppose this means that theoretically there could be a weird cabal of mages that regularly swap souls around with each other in the same way that tight-knit vampire coteries blood-bond each other.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Count Chocula posted:

Yeah I dunno if this came out pre or post Stranger Things (I know the 'Dream Warrior' bit comes from a Nightmare on Elm Street movie) but I love the idea of playing teen escapees from MK Ultra/The Shop from Firestarter/the lab from Beyond the Black Rainbow/drat there's a ton of shady govt psychic labs in fiction.

It'd make a fun campaign. I'd dial down the horror though, and give them a sympathetic adult like the sherrif guy from Stranger Things. Just a bunch of teens, trying to survive.

The D&Dness of the party roles could be intentional if they're all gamers.

The next Chronicles of Darkness gameline is Deviant: The Renegade where you play humans who were experimented on or changed somehow, and then escaped and try to hide from, or get revenge on, the organisations that did this to them.
I wouldn't be surprised if The Merrick Institute is a bit of a teaser for that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In Vampire the Requiem the 'Christian vampire' group is Lancea et Sanctum. They justify their existence and blood-drinking by saying that they're god's chosen monsters and are meant to be the wolves, keeping humanity, the sheep, on the straight and narrow and moral and whatnot. They generally have a code against harming people who "don't deserve it" but this is as nebulous as it needs to be for the game purposes.

The difference between the L&S and Beast's justification of 'teaching lessons' is that it's clear that L&S is an in-character justification that may or may not be true in order to help vampires cope with the reality of "how can I be a 'good person'/'good Christian' if I harm people by existing".

Meanwhile the whole Beast 'teaching lessons' thing is similar on its face, except the Beast corebook takes it as a given for the most part, instead of it being an in-character justification, even though there's no actual mechanical support for this being the case.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

mcclay posted:

I'm actually interested in this F&F, considering I have no idea what the drama is with its author. Hes some kind of MRA piece of poo poo and also an abuser, yes?

Actually no, it's a more weird case where he claims to be sex positive and left-wing but either is a jackass anyway, or pretends to be those things to cover up being a jackass.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cythereal posted:

One of the reasons I like Eberron. It's a basic assumption that a starting PC is going to be in the top third or so of what anyone in the world will be capable of, there's only a dozen or so people in all of Khorvaire who are level five or six. That's the level of the average Forgotten Realms innkeeper.

Your typical murderhobo, transplanted to Eberron, has very few people on the continent who can pose a straight fight - mostly King Kaius, King Boranel, the Lord of Blades, Jaela Daran as long as she's inside the Cathedral of the Silver Flame, Oalius the Warden of the Woods, and the Lords of Dust.

It's a little higher than 5 or 6, if I remember right from the 3.5e book - there's actually a somewhat decent amount of 3-to-6s since a significant amount of the world's population are war veterans.

That said, the highest most big NPCs get is 10 to 12. King Boranel of Breland is ten-ish and he's a former hero. The Lord of Blades is meant to be 10-ish but according to Baker he uses him and has him level up a little bit along with the players for him to be a recurring villain until he's permanently dealt with and the bigger threats emerge.
At the very end of the good or 'evil but not actually world-ending' NPCs are:
Jaela Daran the child-pope who is a Cleric 18, but only in the temple, and is otherwise a Cleric 3ish.
Oalian who is a 20 Druid but is also a tree and doesn't move.
Some level 20 Commoner innkeeper elf in Sharn somewhere from a sourcebook I heard about.
Mordain the Fleshweaver a mad level 17 wizard who mostly just sits in his tower and crazy forest being a crazy guy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Jovian position in Eclipse Phase is a little more reasonable from the angle of:
A. I believe that humans are real people with real feelings and are not p-zombies.
B. I have no evidence that anything trans-human or forked or AI or whatever is not a p-zombie
B2. Also, 90% of the population got nuked by AIs, and the line between 'infomorph' and 'AI' is kinda blurry.
C. Therefore, I can trust in regular humans and give them rights, and anyone else can piss right off.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

13th Age has a lot of weird warts but it has a reasonably solid base on which you can fix things, and do so more easily and consistently than DnD5e, while being overall less crunchy than DND4e. Which are its main selling points, in the end.

Dungeon World is probably the best gateway RPG currently in existence but has its own issues, mainly to do with where it keeps DnDisms instead of of doing its own thing - per the designers this is something they acknowledge, but they explicitly wanted to be "old-school DND but with PbtA rules" as opposed to "a proper PbtA take on dungeon-crawling".

Godbound is a cool game about playing fighty demigods in the Exalted sense. It's technically OSR but it handles hitpoints totally differently. And all the god-power Gifts are their own system layered on top. You could layer Godbound on top of the base system for 13th Age instead of the base system for old DnD if you wanted, and basically the only thing you would need to change is the HP (because Godbound does it weird) and the fact that Godbound uses descending AC and frequently references 'AC 3'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

potatocubed posted:

What I found when I started writing up my notes for a 13A game was that the combat was crunchy enough to require some thought when designing enemies, but not crunchy enough to provide more than a few levers to pull. A sort of weird, unsatisfying middle ground.

From the GMing side, 13th Age combat basically runs on procedural autopilot other than sometimes "which PC does this monster attack" which can be a good thing or bad thing depending.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

13 True Ways has a goonmade dungeon in it.

13th Age is basically 'DnD5e but better' which isn't a terribly hard hurdle to clear but it works well enough if your requirements are the following:
- Every class can contribute meaningfully (everyone has backgrounds, and while some classes are eh, the challenge scaling is actually on the easy side)
- Math mostly works
- is recognisably DnD-style fantasy with wizards and rogues and fighters
- is less crunchy than other editions of DnD
- has rules for non-grid combat that aren't just handwavey and are actually gridless
- has a free SRD

For all those reasons, it works for a lot of former-DnD groups.

Also the monster design/layouting is good.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I read Stephenson books to have a fun story and also kind of learn interesting asides (that may or may not be true - good to look that sort of thing up later). He puts a lot of research into his work but isn't afraid to change things for the sake of a story.

But on a personal level he seems to lean a bit libertarian and while I don't think he's a neoreactionary, a lot of them use his terminology and language.

And REAMDE was awful.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eyes of the Stone Thief is amazing and is a written megadungeon campaign that really works, unlike a bunch of OSR stuff (not to say that good OSR stuff doesn't exist, just that there's a bunch to sift through) that is full of so much "here's another deadly trap hohoho" and "here's a wacky thing that randomly happens".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

wiegieman posted:

All random rolling in character creation is disgusting and archaic and should be replaced by point buy.

e:I will die on this hill :colbert:

The random rolls in Shadow of the Demon Lord are pretty cool if you use them since (other than if playing a Clockwork) they're all fluff stuff and you still assign stats with points.
Randomly roll to see what weird item I start with...
A baby! Possibly not mine!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

To Protect Flavor posted:

Uff da, I would unironically love this.

The Puzzle Agent PC games are basically this. They're basically a lower-budget Professor Layton. They're OK.

Apparently the true horror of Minnesota is garden gnomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dareon posted:

*faint laughter from Shakespeare's direction*

Shakespeare didn't invent most of those words, he's just the first surviving example we have of their use. Presumably most of them existed in earlier but shittier literature that didn't have many copies made.