Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mors Rattus posted:

So, I'm trying to find any time where someone might reasonably choose to use that spell even in the hands of like some peasant folk wizard, given that using it requires you to already have shears on hand. Wouldn't it be easier to just use the shears?

Well, it lasts for ten hours so you could have a whole bunch of wizards 'using' the same pair of shears.

That said: no. Just use the shears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I was in a game fairly recently where the gun-and-gadget using secret agent got transformed into Living Land axioms, and my two-fisted Nile Empire PI got turned into a grimdark soldier.

And how'd that work out?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I mean, eta is appropriate for the time period but I would also not use the term when their descendants are still discriminated against, especially given its literal meaning.

These authors really didn't know what they were doing in either balance or tone, did they?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

At least they're just vampires and not COMMUNISTS.

Vampires keep blood for themselves while feeding off the masses, so they're capitalists and thus OK.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I can understand how that might have been hard to write but I actually found it pretty interesting. It has a lot of ideas and I'm sorry that they never seem to be brought up again. But as a Canadian, I have to say...

Regina? Really? Regina?

Regina has a population (in reality) of slightly under 200,000. You'd think you'd at least use Winnipeg first. (Capital of Manitoba rather than Saskatchewan; it's closer to the Eastern lands but further away from West and North.) That or Saskatoon, which is a city also in Saskatchewan that is a) larger than Regina and b) not already Saskatchewan's capital; this is normal, Ottawa isn't Ontario's capital either. If you're willing to risk going further west, there's Edmonton or Calgary on top of that, both of which are much larger cities that are presumably at least mostly intact since according to the map they're not in any non-Core realms (though Calgary is getting kind of close to some Dominant Living Lands territory). I'm going to assume they picked Saskatchewan, checked what its capital is and didn't bother thinking about anywhere else.

Also, the territory up by Fort Providence is completely worthless. That entire territory - which at the time is everything from the boundaries to its west out east to Hudson Bay, as Nunavut wasn't founded when Torg was written, plus some stuff so far northeast it's not on the map Torg provides - has a population of about 70000. Like, total. I don't even know how there's enough people up there to get turned into power sources. Good place for a secret lab, but...

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 24, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MollyMetroid posted:

I mean as a fellow Canadian, not thinking about Saskatchewan is pretty much a hobby of mine, so I can't blame them.

I can't really disagree, but I wasn't the one who picked Regina either.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't look at me, I just report this stuff.

And don't feel bad; apart from LA, Detroit, and Philly, there's really nothing about any other US major region or city. What's happening in New England now that it's cut off from the rest of the country? How's the Farm Belt holding up with all these refugees? What about Portland or Seattle? Or San Francisco? :iiam:

Oh, I don't feel bad, nor do I blame you. I just think it's hilarious.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PoptartsNinja posted:

I second this read, it's fantastic. If you know of any in a similar vein I'd love to be pointed at them.

Just to double-check, this is Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Parshall and Tully, right? I'm looking for more history books always and I'll see if I can shake out a copy of this from the library; just making sure I have the right one.

Cythereal posted:

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors (Leyte Gulf in general and Battle Off Samar in particular), Neptune's Inferno (the naval campaigns at Guadalcanal), and The Fleet at Flood Tide (the later campaigns, notably Saipan). All are by the same author, though I agree with the prevailing opinion that Flood Tide is much weaker than his first two. It's a different author than Shattered Sword, but those four are about as good as you'll get for modern scholarship on the Pacific War.

If WW1 naval battles are your thing, I suggest Castles of Steel. It's a big, dense read, but it has everything you could possibly want to know about the naval wars of WW1 and what lead up to them.

And these are Hornfischer (for the first three) and Massie?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Doresh posted:

Pathfinder (and probably 3.X) had some kind of negative energy dragon who attacks you with negative energy that's so hardcore that it doesn't heal undead.

(Though I seem to recall that it says nothing about whether or not it actually hurts them instead...)

It's been clarified to say it does (though you're right in that it doesn't make that explicit in the base rules), which makes sense given that umbral dragons eat ghosts.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Doresh posted:

But how cool would it be for a Lich or regular necromancer to ride around on a dragon who can both kill his enemies and keep his minions patched up with a single action?

The fluff section of the umbral dragon entry actually says they do that, but the rules don't let them.

Pathfinder!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ratoslov posted:

What is it with the Coalition's unholy lust for APCs? Aren't nazis supposed to love tanks instead?

This lets them carry the skull power armours around more efficiently.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nessus posted:

People are really committed to racism and while I think there is a point where you are letting the racists live rent-free in your head, this one was not a cognitive leap of great breadth or complexity.

I actually think the twist to do with that concept would be to invert it and go full Dr. Moreau. You get the same general effect of being dark but teamwork-compatible and now your big buddy is an ape or a bull or whatever that you made more human, not a human you degenerated.

There is actually a Pathfinder archetype (and spell) for that! The spell, anthropomorphic animal, is for druids and wizards; the archetype, vivisectionist, is for alchemists, who then get that spell and can make it permanent without the permanency spell. (They also get baleful polymorph and regenerate and a bunch of other tricks that have nothing to do with anthropomorphic animal.) Sadly, there's no archetype that gets one as an animal companion. I think.

I kind of wish there was, default anthropomorphic animals are kind of mechanically bad (in that they're often not great for the cost required, not that they're done in a confusing way). I mean, they're cool, just not good. They don't get any more HP than the animal had, though they don't lose any either. They lose some of their natural abilities in exchange for becoming intelligent and getting hands, but they're dumb as a post (INT 3; you'd think you could also cast awaken on them to make them fully intelligent, but that would make them a magical beast and you can't anthropomorphize those with the spell). The best way to get a powerful one is to use a really big animal.

edit: T-Rex Man would be pretty scary though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 21, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cease to Hope posted:

there are two different weapon attachments named "deadly" in Ultimate Equipment? that is some extremely stupid bullshit

One is a magical enchantment and one is a characteristic some weapons have. Under most circumstances it's clear which one you mean.

Most.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pieces of Peace posted:

In my experience Keeshonds hate nothing and are unable to even grasp the concept that they might bite or injure a living being rather than just licking it a bunch, so probably not the best soldiers. Mine was also a massive scaredy-dog; does RIFTS have rules for forcing Dog Boys to save against hiding under the nearest object if they hear the tiniest hint of an explosion?

'We can't deploy the Dog Boys on this operation.'

'Why not?'

'Thunderstorm.'

*nods knowingly*

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wiegieman posted:

I'm trying to elevate my mind such that I may grasp the concept of Peanut Butter Fudge, and failing, but I know now that the world is a brighter place than it was yesterday.

It's mostly sugar and peanut butter with milk and butter and a hint of vanilla, or at least the recipe I've made is.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I could even see two. (Money you can get your hands on quickly for standard purchases, and money you can't for slower large-scale purposes, but could burn the rating to get in a hurry - long-term investments and such.)

I can't even guess what five finance stats would be.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I mean, on one hand, it sounds stupid.

And on the other hand, fridges that use heat to power the cooling systems exist. It's not efficient, and you need some ammonia or other chemicals, but it exists.

Given all the other poo poo steamtech can do in Dragonmech, the concept of steam-powered fridges isn't the breaking point for me. The exact system of using it on a mech is pretty bizarre but, eh, you do you.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cease to Hope posted:

Hunger For Flesh is a fourth-level evil reskin of confusion from Core, with a neat visual. (There's also a seventh-level Mass version.) The target is staggered, gets a bite attack, and has a chance each turn to be compelled to try to move and bite a creature of the same type and subtype.

This is a neat spell but it has three problems. The first, and largest, is that the big payoff - you're forced to bite your allies! - will almost never happen unless the target is already adjacent to a character of the exact same species, because the biter is staggered and thus can't move and attack. This mixes straight into the second problem, that unless there's another, friendly person of the exact same species nearby, this is a boring save-or-staggered effect. Lastly, since biting someone of the exact same species (willingly or otherwise) removes all of the penalties except for the compulsion to bite people, then you can just bite a friend every turn or so for fairly minor damage as part of a full attack action that is otherwise directed at enemies and mostly shrug off the whole spell.

Though many of the spells listed here have issues, this has less, because problem one isn't actually a problem and also helps with the other problems.

A staggered character can make a charge attack (at normal movement speed, instead of double like a normal charge), which will both make them bite people and tie up their attacks since if you charge you can only attack once unless you have Pounce or an equivalent ability.

Zombies actually are permanently staggered and thus pretty much always do this, which is almost certainly why the spell is written this way.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cease to Hope posted:

The spell specifically says you make a separate move action and attack action to bite, and that "if the target lacks enough actions to attack on that turn, it moves as close to the creature as it can." Not only does it work badly, AFAICT it's intended to work badly.

That's weird! Well, I tried.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Young Freud posted:

Which is plenty of bullshit, in and of itself. Wyatt Earp is believed to have worn a metal vest, particularly at the O.K. Corral shootout, although he denied it. George Goodfellow, the medical examiner and doctor in Tombstone, even developed early ballistic vests made from padded silk after examining a body where a folded up silk handkerchief stopped one of the bullets.

This has antiquity behind it, though Goodfellow probably didn't know it; lightly armoured Mongol horsemen would wear layered silk, because they caught barbed arrows and made them possible to pull out (rather than cut out or push through, which was what you'd have to do otherwise).

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

Sharp thing on a long stick is nothing to mess with.

Any plan that worked for 400,000 or more years can't be all wrong!

Actually, some theories are that it's more like 'multiple million', though anything beyond about a half million would just be rough sharp sticks like chimpanzees use. Stone-tipped spears are at least 300,000 years old though, and carved wood spears 400,000. (Fire-hardening came later, as did flaked stone heads - around 250,000-ish, I think.)

Edit: Does Wurm have rules for atlatl or other spear-throwing tools, or have they not been invented yet? We're pretty sure they're at least 30,000 years old; 30,000 BCE is a little later than Wurm is set, as I recall, but it's close.

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 16, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

marshmallow creep posted:

If you had Sturdy, would that cancel that penalty too?

edit: Oh wait, there's an Armoured Casting talent for that. So you can reduce the penalty to -2 in plate. No wait, that's for priests only.

Do Runesmiths not count as priests? The flavour text provided suggests they are priests of Hashut, but I wouldn't know how to read a Warhammer Fantasy statblock if I saw one.

Edit: Or do they have a different priest class?

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 16, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Wapole Languray posted:

Yes, but not in Europe at the time. Archaeologists have no evidence of spear-throwers existing until around 10,000 BCE. Same for Bow and Arrow. As primitive as it seems, Wurm is set about 30,000 years before the first evidence they existed.

Knowing about paleolithic tools and weapons is a crapshoot though, as a lot of it would have been broken or rotted away. There's a lot of speculation and inference in it.

There's actually a reindeer antler spear-thrower from France that's ~17500 years old and that's the oldest one that's survived that I know of, but yeah, earlier than that is inference. I studied the era briefly and the general consensus seems to be that they were probably used for many years before the Dordogne spear-thrower, but it's hard to prove. It doesn't surprise me if they're not in Wurm, but it also wouldn't have surprised me if they were, hence the question.

Night10194 posted:

Their magic might be priestly but none of their Careers get Armored Casting.

They later say Chaos Magic actually counts as Divine or Arcane, whichever is more favorable to the caster.

Ah, didn't know it had to be specifically granted. It was a good plan while it lasted.

Edit: vvvv we're probably talking about the same artifact, ha ha

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 16, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mors Rattus posted:

who is 'they' in this case, because it sure as hell ain't Nasu, who gets off on five paragraph diatribes about magic circuits and the world of heroes and other insane bullshit

and it sure isn't the hardcore nasuverse fans, who get off on talking to you about all that poo poo for three hours straight

i was friends with a nasuverse fan for several years and now i know far more about the nasuverse than anyone ever wanted to

The first warning sign is calling it ~the nasuverse~

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GimpInBlack posted:

Not only did it occur to me, it occured to the author. :) I didn't mention it in the review because it was already getting long, but a bunch of the MOSs are explicitly compared to D&D classes, and she's posted about wanting to do a fantasy hack at some point. I think if you like Torchbearer, you'd dig a fantasy PATROL.

I keep hearing decent things about Torchbearer. I should really look into it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm honestly not sure why it's being called Starfinger here. Just a joke I don't get, I guess.

I admit to having just skimmed some of the entries.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hipster Occultist posted:

I can smell the Fedora from here.

With a name like that, I think you're the most qualified to know.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zereth posted:

I believe starforce could gently caress up your CD drive. Because it's from back when you needed the CD in the drive to play games. And, you know, you GOT optical discs of the game instead of just a steam code in the box.

I'm curious how it destroyed hard drives/CD drives.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If your skeletons are grappling each other, then they occupy the same space and you can theoretically compress an infinite number of medium sized skeletons into a given five-by-five foot square.

In Pathfinder this is not true; they occupy adjacent spaces. This is true regardless of the creatures' reach, so if two giants grapple each other they are adjacent. (A Murphy is that it makes no accomodation for creatures who are small enough to not have any reach at all. It says 'If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space', so presumably you do even if you can't reach that space rather than the very small creature being in the same space as its opponent. A weasel, which automatically grapples if it successfully bites, is moved five feet away from whatever it just bit; weasels are Tiny, so it can't actually reach five feet with its bite.)

In 2E who the hell knows, did it even have proper grapple rules?

Edit: I forgot this wasn't the Murphies thread but you get the tiny grapplers issue anyway.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 30, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Does any game have proper grapple rules?

I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone, somewhere has managed it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dallbun posted:

Of course it did. Comprehensive, intuitive ones that were a pleasure to use in play.

I actually remembered that punching table but forgot it has a wrestling half.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I love that your move is independent of your positioning, so you can go from a leg lock to a bearhug at random based on a roll of the die.

also, you can't intentionally decide what kind of strike you're making. you just swing your arms wildly around you and hope for the best!

Rounds in that version were one minute, so there was plenty of time to shift around between actual clinches, I suppose. Or you can maintain the bearhug.

Though this also means that, on average, you're gonna have to headlock someone for several minutes straight before they pass out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dallbun posted:

115: The Speedster

Okay, brace yourself.

The PCs are in an uncrowded street when something streaks by and they’re hit with a sonic boom (2d6 damage, save for half). It is, I poo poo you not, an elven thief (level 10) under the effects of boots of speed, a potion of speed, and a haste spell, all of which explicitly stack according to this encounter card. (As an elf, he just sucks up the two years of aging from haste whenever he does this. The question of who is creating the potions of speed and casting haste is not addressed.) Per the text: “the combination of these items gives him a movement rate of 96; when he runs, his movement rate increases to 480.” Which is faster than the speed of sound, apparently?

One, this elf is amazing.

Two, a speed of 480 outdoors is 4800 yards/minute (indoors it is measured in feet instead of yards, presumably so you don't slip and bash your head or something).

Let's use the outdoors value since they're outside, and not even on a crowded street that might have obstacles, so he gets a straight run. That's 14400 feet per minute, which is 240 feet per second. This, sadly, does not break the sound barrier (the speed of sound is 1125.3 feet per second). But points for trying.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What's hyperspace blindspot phobia? I'd guess that while in hyperspace you can't see directly ahead of you because of the speed of light thing (because by the time you see it, it's already here) and it's being phobic about that, but I don't actually know; I've never read anything Ringworld. (It's one of those things I kept meaning to but never found a copy of, like the Culture.)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wiegieman posted:

Hyperspace in the Known Space setting is literally impossible for the 3-dimensional mind to perceive. Look out a window into hyperspace and you'll see the edges of the window stretching inwards until they're touching each other, not a black window. Look up when you're out on a hull during a hyperspace jump (a rare occurrence usually arising from extreme stupidity) and you will forget the concept of sight until your neck hurts and you look down at the hull, at which point the sight of the hull will remind you that you have eyes.

Some people react a lot worse to the Blind Spot, and they can't fly a ship.

It surprises me that they have windows in that situation and don't just fly in an enclosed cockpit, reducing the problem.

That's pretty cool, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wiegieman posted:

The thing to remember is that when they're in Hyperspace, they don't have windows. They have window rims with no windows inside them. For Humans, Hyperspace is actually navigated using a device called a mass pointer, which looks something like a radar screen and allows the pilot to steer around stars.

Well, I meant why physically put them in at all instead of just flying by sensor? Like, being phobic about the inability to look outside is not a problem if there is no way to attempt to look outside. You might not even know it hits you that way.

Edit: This is less a problem with the RPG though and more a minor point of issue with the source material, which I'm not familiar with.

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 9, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

JcDent posted:

what
are
the
drat
protectors

Nessus posted:

e: For those who don't get what the gently caress, the pencil sketch version here is that in Known Space, humans evolved from a failed colonization project by the Pak, who have three lifecycle stages: Child, breeder, and protector. The "protector" stage is dependent on a symbiotic virus in a common Pak food plant. The Pak colony on Earth failed because the root didn't take, and the surviving protectors tried to make Earth as cozy as it could be for the breeders before they died out, in the hopes that some other Pak would be along eventually. The Pak breeders mutated and eventually became humans (and potentially other higher apes) - however, the potential to become a protector remains in humans, if somehow they get hold of the virus.

The original idea behind "Protector," where Niven developed this idea, was to consider ways to turn the common symptoms of advancing age into benefits - by positing that they were actually lingering maladaptations because we don't become protectors, like we're supposed to. Protectors are fully sentient - indeed, a Pak protector is smarter than a "breeder-stage" human, although by less than the Pak protector would like to think. They are fanatically dedicated by biological urges to protect their descendants in various ways; while it is possible for them to sublimate and redirect this impulse, it makes a human being keeping a vow of chastity look easy.

A more detailed treatment of the Pak protectors and so on will come up when we actually reach the Ringworld stuff. The "hominids" of the Ringworld - other than a few habitats containing populations of other intelligent races - are also descended from Pak.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I imagine that stuff will come out when Nessus actually gets to the Ringworld stuff.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

Something I forgot to point out, though; you get 3 different spell lists for the Lore, each with 8 spells. Additional spells from the Lore can be bought for 100 EXP each. The 3 lists are Koldunja, who get all the various spirit magic and Form of the Ancient Widow (and the curses), Vorozheja, who get all the luck manipulation and divining (and curses), and Znarkharja, who get all the healing and cleansing magic (and curses).

They all get Greater Curse. Greater Curse is sort of the 'signature' spell of the Hags and the 'why did you piss off the Hag' spell.

Of note is that these are all altered Slavic words: koldunya is just a witch though not the most common word for one, vorozheya is a female fortune teller, and znakharka is a kind of folk healer (this one is Ukrainian instead of Russian, and I don't know what the equivalent Russian word is).

Edit: Checking a second dictionary suggests I could be translating колдунья as sorceress or medium, so they are all appropriate words, even.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Night10194 posted:

Neat. It's been many years since I took Russian (and I wasn't that good at it, I'm not good with languages without a latin alphabet) but the last term just being Ukrainian would fit fine. Kislev is Poland, Ukraine, Russia, and basically everywhere else all mashed together, so I think the language is intentionally a big mashup too.

I don't actually speak any of them, but I recognized Znarkharja/znakharka and looked up the others because I figured if one was a reasonably accurate modified word, the others might be too. Turns out they were!

Given half the time in F&F when a foreign word is used, repurposed, or altered it's completely out of context or just plain wrong, I was pleasantly surprised.

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 17, 2017