Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

unseenlibrarian posted:

Traveller doesn't get lightsabers! Or blasters, actually. All their energy weapons are big bulky backpack fed things.

...Space Opera from FGU on the other hand, goes all in, and you can have a lightsaber while running around in Starship troopers powered armor.

I need to get off my rear end and do more of the FGU craziness from the late 70s-early 80s. I have pretty much all their RPGs and finished most of 1st ed V&V for the last FATAL thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's like GURPS Vehicles but not even having the excuse of being a physics simulation, it's... a... well, like a lot of TORG seems to be just shouting "but you have to earn your fun!"

TORG could be drastically improved by simply removing the chance that Storm Knights can become disconnected. The gizmos thing is awful, the magic is awful, but allowing the PCs to use multiple realm abilities would let them be instantly amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

I theorized that such a thing exists during the show as well. The world is too full of weirdos for it not to.

Try to find an RPG called ReichStar.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Doresh posted:

That's more than enough detail for this genre, unless you also mix Pokemon into it for some reason.

Never considered Savage Worlds. Got some readin' to do...

Necessary Evil is a fun Savage Worlds Campaign book.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

I wish this had come up when it was still deal of the day.

The quick rundown:

• Tactical grid combat, most of the game's crunch is frontloaded into chargen.
  • Very light on built-in fluff to keep it setting agnostic - past, future, modern, anything's kosher as long as it's ridiculous and at least a little supernatural.
  • Mixed level/pointbuy system, where each time you level up you get more points and also get generally more powerful because what is anime without gradual power escalation.
  • As long as you focus on 2 or 3 stats to keep high, it's hard to build a character who isn't functional.
  • The big meat of chargen is Techniques, where you build your own 4e-style powers from the ground up - add a Core (Damage, Healing, Barrier, Boost, etc) to define what it does, modifiers (Ranged Technique, Blast Radius, Persistent Effect, Immobilizing Strike) to make it more fun, then Limits (Cooldown, lose Health, debuff self, require Valor) to reduce the cost.
  • Valor is a resource for all important characters that starts each scene at 0 and gradually builds over time / is doled out by the GM when you act properly dramatic and over the top. You can burn it 3 at a time to boost rolls or recover Health.
  • Get once-a-scene Ultimate Techniques every 5 levels that can either be big explodey super attacks or DBZ-style transformations.
  • Generic framework for non-combat scenes that makes them more involved than "roll a skill check a couple times", which I've seen used for infiltration missions, info gathering, social conflicts, iron chef cooking battles, and abstracted actual combat.

A friend of mine is prepping to run a One Piece game in it as we speak, it's more or less perfect for it. Gundam could work, although a lot of details would need to be abstracted (at least until we get our mecha splatbook out). People were talking about Pretty Cure / Sailor Moon earlier, also works great for that sort of thing.

I'd consider doing a writeup of it myself, but that seems kind of self-serving.

That sounds fantastic, but that price point. The art was that expensive?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mr.Misfit posted:

Not, if Monte Cook has a say about it.

Warmains, Unfettered, and Ritual Warriors are pretty buff non-spellcasters in Arcana Evolved.

edit:Oathbound are complete garbage though.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 4, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spiderfist Island posted:

HOW TO USE THESE RULES, ctd.posted:
We have tried to make these rules easily understood by anyone interested in the concept, not just experienced gamers. If you are an experienced FRP gamer, take those portions you can use and ignore the rest. Like any FRP system, these can only be guidelines. Use them as you will.

This paragraph though is where a lot of gamers in my generation gained the philosophy of 'yeah the rules are broken, gently caress it we'll just fix them with house rules'. I love tinkering with complex systems so rules-lite games are a lot more boring to me, and this love goes back to this paragraph from RQ.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GimpInBlack posted:

It's been far, far too long, but dammit I'm going to finish reviewing Beyond the Wall: Further Afield.

Previous Posts

All caught up? Good. Because we've passed beyond the wall, we've seen the wonders outside the village, and now it's time to go...

Filling the Map
When last we left off, we'd talked about how the group works together to establish major locations they wanted to see appear in the campaign. The next step is for the GM to take all those notes home and turn them into an actual campaign map.

Further Afield recommends doing this on a sheet of 1/4" hex paper, with each hex representing about 10 miles. The assumption is that characters on foot can manage about 20 miles a day, so that will give you a nice, steady average of two hexes per day of travel.

So, the GM takes all the notes about locations from the previous step and, starting from the characters' home village roughly in the center, places the major locations. The goal here is to have several interesting places to visit within a couple of days' travel, and most places they'll want to go being within a week's journey. This might also be a good time to rough in major features like forests, mountains, rivers, and roads.

Minor Locations
Now is the time for the GM to add some surprises to the map. Minor locations are things like small dungeons, monsters' lairs, or helpful hermits out in the woods; places that add color to the campaign world and might eat up a session or so. There's no real limit to how many of these you can make, but generally there's only one per hex at most. If you really dig making locations, you can make up one for every hex on the map, but it's probably more reasonable to make a half-dozen or so at first and add more later. You can even add them to hexes the players have already visited, since unless they made a point of searching every square inch of the hex it's easy to pass a minor location by.

We also get some advice on how to pace out minor locations: in the typical Beyond the Wall game, you'll want roughly an even mix of hostile, friendly, and neutral/could go either way minor locations, and a roughly two to one ratio of mundane places to magical ones. Naturally, these ratios can be skewed based on your group's tastes and/or the map itself: the area around the evil overlord's lair probably has a lot more hostile encounters, and if most of your major locations are mundane you might want to skew more heavily magical in the minor locations as a balance.

We'll get into Further Afield's resources for creating minor locations later, but suffice to say it has some pretty cool tables for quickly generating ideas.

Regions
Regions are a fair bit simpler, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect: forests, hills, river valleys, etc. They're not locations, but areas of the map that contain locations. Every region has a table of encounters, which can include meeting people and monsters, but it can also include environmental hazards, travel difficulties, and the like. The GM can design these herself, but again, there's a nice appendix full of common region types to help out. Encounters can generally be dealt with or avoided with a successful ability check, but some might be played out as a full scene, especially if the initial check fails.

Major Locations Again
Finally, it's time to revisit the major locations and flesh out whatever you expect you'll need within the first couple of sessions: dungeon maps, monster stats, NPCs, etc. If any of the PCs ended up with wrong information about a major location, now's the time to figure out what's really going on. There's not a whole lot of specific or unique advice here, but I am going to quote the last paragraph for posterity:

Wow, Bill Webb and John Wick would be furious with this game.

Next Time: Threat Packs! Big Bads in Boxes.

Beyond the Wall is just so cool.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To tease, I have an F&F coming up now that the roughs are finished. And I'll just say there are three things it doesn't have:
  • Mages
  • Witches
  • Unarmed Conveyances

GURPS Car Wars?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

GURPS Car Wars?

:smuggo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of course, the real reason was "Steve Jackson got frustrated in traffic and thought he'd really like to shoot other drivers",

Also a short story by Alan Dean Foster called 'Why Johnny Can't Speed' and the original Roger Corman/Paul Bartel movie Deathrace 2000

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

"Not to mention Harlan Ellison's 'Along the Scenic Route,'" he pedanted. (If I recall correctly, some of the older Car Wars material also includes Combat Football from Norman Spinrad's "The National Pastime.")

And Gary K. Wolfe's 'Killerbowl' Wolfe also wrote 'Who Censored Roger Rabbit?'

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kurieg posted:

That is a fairly accurate description of my state.

To be fair the only book I know of that actually put North Dakota in any frame of importance turned it into a Non-Euclidian Hellscape with a portal to the home of the eldritch horrors at the center of it. Since doing that means that Minneapolis and Chicago become much more interesting places to adventure.

Monte Cook's WoD I'm guessing?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Covok posted:

What would a nuclear winter actually be like?

Probably like 1816 only lasting a lot longer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Just Dan Again posted:

I remember skimming the splats for Beast last year and thinking that it might be interesting if they gave players something cool to do, but that it would have to be a pretty darn compelling something if one of the examples of a playable character was an old woman who fed off of children's terror.

It sounds like the best they could come up with was "Yeah, you're an awful monster with awful monster friends, but there are these Hero jerks who think they're better than you! Doesn't that make you mad?"

That old woman sounds like the Mean Old Neighbor Lady from Chill 2e.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

Surprise! Your cool magic abilities are actually powered by cthulhu monsters using them to break into our reality and wreck everything. Ha ha ha, bet you feel really smart now after paying all those character points for magic powers!

I ran a series of campaigns in Swashbuckling Adventures (the d20 version) that were centered around Legion, the Barrier, and the Bargain and its true purpose. One ended up going forward in time to the 1930s pulp equivalent, and one ended up going backwards to the very signing of the Bargain in Numa.

The same people in each campaign playing different characters all realizing how hosed the world was and trying to save it over a period of a thousand years or so.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

Our review wasn't really ask that much about Wick the guy anyway, just a few asides.

So one of our listeners(and a lurker here), just sent us a microwave sized box containing the following:

GURPS Discworld
GURPS Hellboy
Blue Planet (with Moderators Guide and Fluid Mechanics)
Feng Shui
Godlike (with Will To Power and some adventures)
Ray Wininnger's Underground
The Whispering Vault
Underworld
Kobolds Ate My Baby
Nexus: The Whispering City
Kult
Witch Hunter: the Invisible World
King Arthur Pendragon

And what I consider to be the Arkenstone of this hoard, Everway.

Amazingly we didn't have a single one of these yet. So good.

I have every one of those except Discworld.

Do Underworld next.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

Anytime I hear the suggestion that anybody in this industry is motivated by greed, I laugh until the tears come.

I have to F&F Metascape now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress is this poo poo? Everything I read about Beast makes me nauseous.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have never seen a game that has unified so many people in their opinion. It's actually kind of remarkable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

Looks like Savage Worlds RIFTS is going to be a thing finally. The Kickstarter cleared $177,000 on the first day, beating it's goal of $8,000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds

As a result, they've dropped the first sample, the Glitter Boy.

https://www.peginc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Savage-_Rifts%C2%AE_Glitter_Boy_preview.pdf

I kinda like it. It gives you the benefits and drawbacks of the Glitter Boy pretty concisely, something you really couldn't get with the five pages of cruft you got with the original.

Okay, Siembada's ship if ever attitude vs. Hensley's we will not start the KS unless it is 98% finished product. Who will win?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I do like a lot of the Orroshian spells, and the only time I saw Plague cast in game was to summon a plague of lemmings.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've run Brave New World relatively recently (within the last five years). It is a mess for rules, but the core concepts of the universe are really cool and it's nowhere near peak 90s on metaplot. TORG wins that belt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Brave New World. As I mentioned before, I've actually run this game relatively recently and the rules played okay (except for dice swinginess to a ridiculous extreme), but it is 90s as gently caress. Matt is a good friend of mine and this was most definitely a passion project for him, (the Covenant Sourcebook is a dead giveaway). He loved talking about the world and it is an interesting one. Shane Hensley dictated that he use a variant Deadlands ruleset and wanted an ironclad metaplot with certain NPCs having plot armor (cough...like Deadland's Stone...cough) so that Pinnacle could run another long term game line.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

Also, it doesn't sound that bad registering. Also, if you register and are a law-abiding delta that doesn't pull vigilante shenanigans, then why would you even get enemies that could blackmail you with your family in the first place?

Also Delta Prime (the organization that manages all the registered Deltas) is a truly hosed up agency, but I'm sure Hostile V will get to that.

Hostile V posted:

The main reason you don't want to register is because the government could say "hey, so you're a delta and you're registered so we need you to report to this army base in a week because you're going to Colombia. It doesn't matter that you're an accountant for a car dealership, you have powers we need for this job."
"Why am I going to Colombia?"
"Well we suspect that there are deltas involved in the drug trade in Colombia, so you're going to be helping the DEA in Colombia."
"That sounds like an abuse of power."
"Nope, as the law is written, it's perfectly legal because the DEA is a federal agency. Also we're going to need you to stay there for a while as an enforcer for a more friendly cartel who'll help us stabilize the region."
"But I don't want to live in Colombia as a drug trade enforcer for an undefined amount of time!"
"It's either that or prison, you signed up. Hey don't worry, we'll train you to kill people."

I mean even if you're a registered, law-abiding delta there are people who hate and fear deltas who you don't want to be able to access your personal and familial information. Your neighbors will know you're a delta and generally people will know you're "dangerous" and Defiance will know they can't trust you (at first at least).

That's just the tip of of the iceberg.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Hostile V, which of the BNW books are you missing?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Well Savage Worlds: Rifts is a thing, and in two weeks I'll get my PDF of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

That actually looks rad, will check it out.

The God Machine really seems like it could be control-R swapped with the Bavarian Illuminati from Shea and Wilson's book and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

First four seasons on Netflix. It takes until episode 7 to really hit its stride, and then it been gathering speed ever since.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nancy_Noxious posted:

If you people want to REALLY be consistent about warning people about horrible games through FF reviews, you should always include a link to the FF of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook after EACH post about the Beginners Box (someones first RPG should not be Pathfinder) and the Adventure Paths (themes might make that pile of poo poo seem nicer than it really is).

You say drivethru Beast reviews are misleading. Well, latest posts about Pathfinder on this thread have been trying to sell it as a good, not-lovely game as well, which seems just as dishonest.

Pathfinder is a game. Beast is a crime scene in training.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Also Warbirds and Warbirds Space age are in the Bundle of Holding now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

potatocubed posted:

Next Time: Pre-Statted Antagonists. In which we put a police officer and a peregrine falcon in a cage and see which one comes out alive.

Does the falcon have laser eyes?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't follow the Kickstarter for this game, so I'm at a loss. Except to say that for people who like that kind of thing, that's the kind of thing they like.

This applies to most games actually (as well as to most things to be fair). I love d20 even though I know intellectually it's a lousy system. I know its quirks and weak points and yet I still have fun and not in a Stockholm Syndrome type way. I love complex rulesets from the early 80s (pretty much the entire production of FGU to be honest) and the joy of house rules and table interpretation. 'Argument Phase' was something I enjoyed as we all tried to fathom something particularly byzantine. I have played FATE, Fiasco, *World and the like; and I don't enjoy them nearly as much. That'sw hy I get so annoyed by the people in this thread who call 'The One True Way'.

Beast is an awful awful game for its themes and setting, not primarily its mechanics. If you glued a different set of rules to it and kept the setting the same it would still be a crime against humanity. Pathfinder's setting is generic inoffensive fantasy with a set of rules that in the abstract are not better or no worse than WoD's (in my opinion). For that fact alone Pathfinder is the superior game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

So Battletech must have a bunch of art of buff, sexy dudes dressed as pro wrestlers, right? It's not just an excuse to draw women in rubber underwear, right?

There has been art like that yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Goddamnit Matt forback, how can you put so much effort and love into something and have it come out this poo poo.

E: did he have anyone exerting any sort of editorial control?

As I heard it from Matt, there was a ridiculous amount of control particularly when it came to the Bargainers. They were supposed to be evil from the start, but also not supposed to be recommended as PCs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am!

I know I've said it many times before, but I would loving love a good Fate-based version of Torg. I don't know what's going on with Torg Eternity in terms of system, but odds are they're going to keep at least some of the legacy mechanics.

e: I mean, it'd be a good fit. World Laws? Those are aspects. Boom, done. Axioms? Maybe just have a transformation stress track or something if you want to keep that idea.

I want a crunchier system than FATE though. If there aren't rules to argue about it isn't TORG.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

There's a difference between a crunchy system and a lovely system is the thing, they aren't mutually inclusive. Not everything has to be done in Fate, but having actually played Rifts before I can assure you that anyone singing the praises of that system is doing so through rose-tinted glasses as thick as Coke bottles because it's unmitigated dogshit even for someone who wants to sit down and masturbate to character generation for six hours.

Sure. I ran a TORG game in Cinematic Unisystem and it was great. FATE is not the be all end all ruleset is what I was getting at,

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kevin Siembada's Foreward to the new Savage Worlds RIFTS Player's Guide posted:

When I first conceived Rifts®, I wanted to create a fully realized universe that was unique, expansive, and would blow people’s minds. A setting that melded the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, wrapped in a blanket of post-apocalyptic Earth and cool alien strangeness. The familiar and the bizarre. High technology and magic. The Megaverse® was born.

Rifts® is Earth almost 300+ years after the Great Cataclysm, the return of magic, and the Coming of the Rifts. An Earth so transformed that we barely recognize it. Invaded by alien beings, demons, and creatures of magic, humankind has teetered on the brink of extinction for centuries. In our timeline, humanity is just starting to regain its footing in a world it can no longer truly call its own.

For me, the Rifts were the key. A mechanism in which tears in space and time opened portals to countless worlds and dimensions. A way to bring aliens and monsters, ancient gods, magic and weird technology into our shattered world in a plausible way. The end result is a rebuilt Earth that incorporates the human and inhuman, and a setting where gamers can play almost anything: Cybercowboys and indians, robots and power armor, mages and psychics, dragons and aliens (D-Bees), and so much more.

I often joke that I suffer from an overactive imagination. With Rifts® I wanted to create a dynamic, fun game where the imaginations of the players could be inspired to soar free. As a game designer, sometimes you know exactly what you want and you hammer it out. Other times, especially with big projects, you just pick a place to start and let the ideas carry you away. My philosophy regarding roleplaying game design is to give the end user the tools for endless possibilities and fun. To feel a sense of freedom and epic scope. That is especially true of Rifts®.

I spent three and a half years creating Rifts®. The first two and a half were spent developing concepts and playtesting rules, characters and ideas. The last year was spent on the final writing, getting artwork created, and nailing it all down. I was lucky on the art front, because I had a great artist, Kevin Long, who was able to channel what I envisioned for Rifts® and bring it to visual life. Other artists, including the late, great Keith Parkinson also helped establish the look and feel for Rifts Earth. It took a long time and a lot of hard work, but we did it. The Rifts® RPG was an instant smash hit. It has been optioned for development as a movie by the Walt Disney Company, has been continually in print, and has spawned scores of expansions.

Needless to say, Rifts is something I’m extremely passionate about and highly invested in as it is an ever-expanding universe. So to see it grow and inspire so many others is part of a dream come true. Having others help take up the mantle to spread the vast Megaverse® of Rifts® in this wonderful market of roleplaying is extremely dear to my heart. So to have Sean, Shane, and Ross, three passionate roleplayers and fellow game developers, approach me to license and make Rifts® part of Savage Worlds, is an honor.

With Rifts® Savage Worlds, the Rifts Earth setting and characters are being reinterpreted and brought to life for an entirely different set of rules. Awesome. I always enjoy seeing different styles of game play. To me, the very essence of roleplaying games is absolute freedom and the exploration of new ideas. There is no right or wrong way to roleplay as long as you’re having fun. And Rifts® Savage Worlds is epic fun. Game on and have a blast

BOLDING mine...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Doresh posted:

There are no right or wrong ways to roleplay. As long as you are going the Siembieda way.

And just because he playtested doesn't mean he had to learn anything form it.

That was what I was thinking too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bieeardo posted:

I almost feel like scanning the "NO NEUTRAL ALIGNMENTS!" bit from every Palladium book, or the lovely hissy about people who don't like the magic system in Federation of Magic. I think I'll put that remnant PPE toward dinner.

If you can't post the Federation of Magic bit, I will. It is just too good not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There are also the Shark Totem Warriors in Arcana Evolved.