Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Count Chocula posted:

Has there ever been a game about either playing as or hunting cryptids? That would be fun, like that kids show, Secret Seven, about hunting cryptids. You could have a Bigfoot/skunk ape/yeti splat, a reptilian one, chupacabras, mothmen...

I just remembered the Feng Shui LuchaCabras. Those guys were perfect.

Conspiracy X had that as one of the things you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think it's honestly varied based on who's depicting them in secondary material, sometimes they're unmistakably Asian in cast, sometimes they have outfits that could be Chinese or Russian, it's not terribly consistent. But then, they are supposed to embody Chaos, so I suppose you can't pick on inconsistencies too much.

Of course, Moorcock did the Elric series as a reaction against Tolkien, so though some of his criticisms are valid, he may have protested a bit too much. Of course, there's the treatment of women in Moorcock's novels; you can only be so progressive, I suppose. I, for one, quickly had my fill of reading about a character heavily motivated by incest, but that was part of the his anti-Tolkien reaction and not necessarily having the same sort of moralizing Tolkien did. YMMV.

No. Hunter: the Vigil + Slasher is I think as close as you're going to come in the game (or at least as close as you're going to get to Millennium, anyway). There's always the aforementioned Conspiracy X, but there were a number of other games that took a stab at it of varying quality from Dark•Matter (it's alright) to Dark Conspiracy (don't bother). And there's always the venerable Delta Green, though that's more focused on modern Lovecraftian menaces. There's also Agents of Oblivion for Savage Worlds, but I don't know much about it. Esoterrorists has more of a baddie-fighting bent but also could be useful to those wanting to explore the GUMSHOE system for that sort of game.

Dark Conspiracy is a really schizophrenic game. It can't decide what genre it really wants to be which is a shame because it does have some very clever setting ideas (non-magical origins for legendary supernatural beings, an interesting way of dealing with alternate dimensions) tied up with a 90s set of rules (which are fine but not excellent) and some really poor tonal decisions (is it cyberpunk or urban horror or :wtf:).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Count Chocula posted:

Which also fits into the X-Files. Apparently you can create strong AI in a trailer.

I think a proper X-Files game needs random monster generation to capture the bonkers feel of the MOTW entries. "You're fighting a (rolls) stretchy guy who kills due to (rolls) hunger. He eats (rolls) livers and his weakness is (rolls) salt" or whatever, I haven't seen that episode in ages. Use a table for powers, a table for motivation, a table for weaknesses, and then use some Wikipedia randomizer to generate Mulder infodumps.

I guess Nightbane's tables would work.

You can store a strong AI in a subway car.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Robindaybird posted:

Ah, you're right - but still.

If I recall, the British had an attempt for an Ice Ship to save up on iron, including throwing a prototype block into Chruchill's hot bath to show it won't melt. Then it turns out production was so prohibitively expensive and time consuming to even think about.

Project Habbakuk and the amazing pycrete

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

unseenlibrarian posted:

Recon! By Palladium, the only game of theirs not using the Megaversal system (TM).

Later editions for the game scrubbed all the real world names from it.

They actually bought the publishing rights for that from a game company called RPG I think. I had the original release of Recon along with the supplements Haiphong Halo, and San Sacci which was a banana republic expansion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Recon was originally created by RPG, Inc. and then later published by Palladium with some changes. It's actually a pretty neat system for 1981, everything is percentile-based except for damage, and characters are designed to be really throwaway (characters only have three attributes, a Military Occupational Code, skills based on the former, alignment, and equipment). Palladium has always talked about doing a Megaversal version, but I'm glad they've never gotten around to it, because it would pretty much wreck anything that made that game interesting.

Savage World's Weird Wars had Tour of Darkness for Vietnam. There's Patrol, but I don't know anything about it aside from the RPGnow blurb.

I'm looking through my 1981 copy of Recon right now and it is really cheaply printed. Mechanoids original was on better quality newsprint.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

A lot of early RPG players and designers came out of the miniatures/hex-and-counter wargaming hobby of the 1970s. I bought all of my early RPG books and dice at a hobby store called The Command Post, which was mostly full of SPI/Avalon Hill wargames and diorama and modeling supplies, in a town full of military bases and retirees.

Before D&D, Gyagx's big hit game was a fiddly WWII minis ruleset titled "Tanktics". The Traveller company (GDW) got their start with a big, complicated 1941 EastFront game titled "Drang Noch Osten". And so on.

Early RPG culture largely emerged from the milsim hobby, blended with things like the SCA.

Tractics, a company called Z&M Enterprises did an expansion to it called Angriff which was pretty awesome too. TSR also did Fight in the Skies (aka FiTS and later Dawn Patrol), Cavaliers and Roundheads, Little Bighorn, Warriors of Mars, Panzer Warfare and a ton more. All the ones I listed were released before 1976 too. TSR stood for Tactical Studies Rules remember.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Twilight 2000 was incredibly popular when I was at Ft. Bragg in the mid to late 80s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
BTRC did release CORPS which is actually a pretty neat design.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

*puts on cute nerd glasses*

Get the 'Phoenix Command Special Weapons Supplement'. It deals with a variety of weapons that demand extra rules, including modern and pre-modern bows and crossbows.

You can also check out 'Rhand: Morningstar Missions', which is a pre-Phoenix Command fantasy game with some rules for javelins and thrown rocks. It also has horseback combat rules and rules for grapples and unhorsing people.

PCCS is a weird beast. Leading Edge Games did two simpler versions. The one for Living Steel and the one they used in the Aliens RPG which is probably the most useable of all three. It's one I had the most fun playing at least.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

The 1850 sourcebook was amazing, yeah. Pity they didn't detail it out a ton in the core, though, I agree.

Blood of the Valiant and it was really tight. 1850 was basically Fong Sai Yuk, Wong Fei Hung, every Shaw Brothers film that showed up on Black Belt Theater. I used the 1850 juncture to run a San Francisco/Barbary Coast campaign

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Mutant Chronicles.

Earth is run by corporations, they expand out into the solar system. A ship goes to a planet called Nero and finds things man was not meant to know LITE. Earth fights back the onslaught and makes several rules that get eventually broken by corporations and things man was not meant to know NG+ is released and proceeds to gently caress poo poo up to the point there is a systemwide war being fought in secret because reasons.

It is a lot like 40k except the church (Brotherhood) are actually decent and not completely homicidal. The bad guys are really loving creepy and not jokey (think cenobites from Hellraiser). It takes place in the our solar system. Melee combat is not god.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
And Mercury is a tunnel colony run by 90s era cyberpunk-Shoguns with ninja using vibro ninja-to and silenced submachineguns with explosive ammo.

Some art from 1st and 2nd edition.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Cybertronic is in 3e along with Whitestar (Space Russians!!) and Luna PD as organizations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hostile V posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The premise and the world sound sort of silly (and it all definitely sort of is) but I'm honestly liking some of the design decisions, mostly in regards to the approach they take with augmentations and keeping your players in line.

Huh, I have Greg Porter's game CORPS, but not Corporation I don't think.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
loving Yelm...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

kaynorr posted:

I like that we're getting Glorantha & Cryptomancer at the same time, in that both are essentially informed by a particular academic discipline. I find that to be a really fun design space in RPGs, although any project like that pretty much resigns itself to a niche of a niche of a niche status in the long run.

I should do Blue Planet now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It looks like there have been two Usagi Yojimbo RPGs, but the one I have (by Gold Rush Games) is indeed Stolze.

And is good even though it's Fuzion system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

Ancestors are special advantages (or disadvantages as the case may be) You buy them at character generation only. This means you have a special kharmic tie to the ancestor. The original Mirumoto, the man, the legend, the jerk, costs a whopping 15 points and is solely for Mirumoto bushi characters, but grants access to the immediately superior Mirumoto school technique. So a starter character is already slinging 2 attacks per round :aaa: Mirumoto Kaijuko was the first woman to become daimyo of the Mirumoto family, and she dueled and killed her uncle for the right to the position. Characters will never marry (even if they try) but gain an additional die to roll and keep in Courtier or Seduction rolls. Mirumoto Tokeru has a bizarre story where he was first called Omosa ("heavy") because apparently there is a tradition that during childbirth the father puts on a fake belly and cries as if giving birth to distract any spirits that may get close to the mother and he almost killed his mother when being born. Anyway, he purposefully lost a duel to his brother and superior that challenged him because the brother's wife totally had the hots for him, and so characters that get him as ancestor always succeed at Honor rolls when duty to their lord is in question. Agasha Nodotai was a shugenja/warrior that was killed protecting the Emperor's Lion general during White Stag - had he been a foot to the left the general would have eaten a rifle shot to the face. Characters get to move one position in the Battle table. Agasha Kitsuki founded the Kitsuki family and school, and he died in a Scorpion plot trying to recover important documents that turned to be false, and poisoned. Characters can spend a Void point to completely negate effects of poison. Agasha herself gives characters a Free Raise when casting a spell, 8 points though.

Ancestor advantages range from the cool to the useless, but drat they are a neat idea.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Dhampir from the Kindred of the East were cool for that too...except for all the Kindred of the East stuff of course.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In case anybody cares. Fragged Empire's next expansion Kickstarter is over but they do have a pre-order page here https://fragged-empire-rpg-protagonist-archive-and-miniatu.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders for a few more days which will also allow you to order the original game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bedlamdan posted:

Loving any Clan more than the Crab is immoral

You meant Mantis right?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Simian_Prime posted:

Is the Mantis Clan known for its medical knowledge and/or its toboggan technology?

Nope. Piracy and collecting minor clans.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bieeardo posted:

More dice is only more fun when you're rolling damage.

Champions got this right.

100 Strength Haymaker? 30d6? Sure, roll them... :smug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Goddamn that is a horrible treatment of a really great game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Blue Planet is one of those games I took to be a critical darling but never found anyone playing. I leafed through it, and found it to be (no pun intended) kind of dry. Assuming there are a lot of hooks in the GM's guide that aren't in the player's guide, it seems like one of many settings that would be more fun to run in a different system. Probably Fragged Empire because Fragged Empire is really good and has rules for drone combat and publishing scientific research.

I've run it multiple times. First was a GEO Marshals versus the Russian Mob. Second was a exploration looking for the crashed and lost Cousteau colony ship. Third was an industrial espionage campaign against the Gendiver corporation. That last one had a PC that was playing an uplifted Beluga (from the Ancient Echoes supplement) as the Mastermind/Planner.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the idea of settings set in weird environments, but there has to be some reason to engage with it more deeply (get it?) and Blue Planet has its unobtainium you have to dive down under to get, and there's sea mining and fishing and all that, but, you know, nothing that really felt engaging to me other than playing a space marine mammal. The thing is, they were going hard sci-fii, so there isn't any of the obvious exciting hooks you would have like an alien civilization or alien ruins to interact with. There's all your standard human intrigue and conflict in a hostile environment, and you could probably do something with a survival emphasis, but I think you'd have to emphasize the "one oxygen unit away from crushing death" tension somewhere in the mechanics.

I think one of the problems with the sea as a setting is that played realistically is that physics ruins a lot of undersea fun. I toyed with the idea of a 3.5 underwater game aaages ago, and realizing having most of the setting be realistic elf-crushing lightless depths would have been overtly limiting. The other challenge is basically dealing with a 3D setting where everybody flies, but that's more of a d20 balance / tactical question. I also worried about a lot of the setting seeming "samey" without the same distinct weather patterns and regions you see on land. All of which can be overcome, of course, but seaborne settings have certain challenges that designers have to deal with.

Blue Planet is all about Alien Creatures/Civilization that's the source of the aborigines and Long John, the xenosilicates that everybody is mining for. They're used to really creepy effect in several places and the campaign I mentioned with the discovery of the Cousteau was all about that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I really like Blue Planet and actually built a Beluga Missionary for the Church of Whalesong Mysticism in the old archived build characters for games thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609987&userid=135246#post426295653 . The 2e game system (Synergy) works reliably and is nothing special, but is leaps and bounds ahead of the 1e system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Feng Shui of course.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I just use Unisystem or something.

Always a good choice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As an American, I had a relative that used to threaten to "sell me to the gypsies" and would recount an experience with pickpockets as their Real Encounter with Real Gypsies for Real, Really. There isn't nearly as much targeted racism towards Romani in the US but there's still a lot of casual, harmful stereotyping out there.

The US has the Irish Travelers to unjustly blame instead of the Romani for small time cons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kavak posted:

Where is this store and how much would it cost to get there from Northern California?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

Best example of playtime penalties like that is in Continuum. The leveling requirements involved include getting a letter of recommendation from NPCs, a mandatory minimum number of months of play, and contained therein a second mandatory minimum number of sessions of play that occur during those months (thinking you spotted a loophole where you just play in five minute sessions? Not so fast there's also a mandatory minimum session length).

Isn't Continuum the game where you have to recite the Time Maxims to level?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Everytime I see a WoD review I say to myself, "Humbug, you may like some unrelentingly lovely games and design philosophies, but at least you dodged that bullet". I played OG Vampire twice in 1990-91 and that is it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Cinematic version from Buffy:the Vampire Slayer and Evil Dead RPGs also unfucks it a lot. The concept of Drama Points which the 'White Hats' (Norms) in those systems get huge bonuses with in terms of quantity at start and ease of refreshing for example along reducing the skill list to about a third of its length and completely bagging the Essence system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

thelazyblank posted:

From a more historical context, it was one of the first games that had that sort of drama/plot/etc point system where the goal was basically to spend them. They gave you a lot of them, and were pretty friendly about giving a few more here and there. Not a perfect game by any means, but you could probably make a pretty good 2nd (3rd if you count Angel as a 2nd?) Edition of the Buffy RPG that would stand up to modern design without having to gut the game and start over.

Also unlike TORG's 'Possibilities', Drama Points were awarded separately from experience and were only used to change the situation to the user's favor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, isn't that the concept behind Golden Sky Stories?

Yes but GSS is actually good and fun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hostile V posted:

NEXT TIME: my favorite mechanical part of the book, the rules for building zombies to put up against the players. It's fun and neat and I have an idea for a zombie to build but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Roger Mortis from Dead Heat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Count Chocula posted:

Sweet, you can make Stubbs The Zombie.

Wait till you see some of the new powers from Enter the Zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

senrath posted:

And it's not a half-bad system on its own, without restricting the comparison to "other zombie games", too.

Yeah. CJ Carella originally developed it for Witchcraft and its been used for Armageddon 2.0, Eldritch Skies (cinematic version), Terra Primate, Conspiracy X 2.0, AFMBE, Army of Darkness (cinematic), and Buffy (cinematic).

I've used it to run a FarScape and a Tremors game (using the cinematic version as a base).

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 6, 2016