Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kommy5 posted:

More on topic, it's interesting that Ironsworn seems more focused as a narrative generation engine than anything else. And while I like that as an idea, I'll be curious how long it can go before it gets stale or repetitive.
It should be pointed out that Ironsworn does have an "endgame" of sorts. Doing things will fill the progress trackers for all your vows, and there is a "retire your character to safety" move you roll when you feel you've done enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ultimately the problem is that Monte is trying to procedural-ize something that shouldn't (and really, can't) have a hard procedure. Character arcs are great, but if you want to make them mechanics then you have to keep those mechanics loose and vague so people can make their own arcs and choices.

Those aren't arcs, they're checklists. They're how people who've been poisoned by TVTropes think creating fiction works: you take a bunch of concepts, put them together like "story LEGOs" and bam, fiction achieved.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Can I go now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The 13th Age Bestiary is still the best monster book I've ever read because it really gives a lot of good advice on how to present the creatures in interesting ways, how to work them into the setting so they're more than just a bunch of numbers, and gives multiple (unique) stat blocks for each monster for a range of levels. So instead of just "Orc" there's mook-level orcs, orc archers, disease-spreading orcs, orc "battle musicians", and big mindless orcs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

AmiYumi posted:

In my opinion, many of the more “jokey” or “beer and pretzels” RPGs are written from the perspective of making the reader chuckle, rather than with an eye towards how the game actually plays out once it hits the table.
This has been a problem pretty much forever. Even good comedy games like Paranoia fall into this trap (and got worse the longer the line went on), where you feel the game is more to be read than to be played. I've talked before too about how West End Games got really bad about this near the end of their life cycle, with Paranoia 5e and Ghostbusters International being particularly bad offenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Next Time: This fantastic sidebar (amongst other things)

Go gently caress yourself, Beast.