Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

One of Beast's many, many problems is that a Beast has power, but no particular impetus to do anything interesting with it. They get a slap on the wrist if they don't act like a creepy rear end in a top hat occasionally, and that's it. It's a problem with several of the weirder WoD splats; they're just aimless idle-rich douchebags who can also, incidentally, breathe lightning.

In a way, it's a sort of parallel to all these 90s setting books we've been seeing reviews of: lots of WaCkY details and CrAzY magic items, but if you're looking for adventure hooks, uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

No, see, officer, I stabbed him to death to make sure humans don't forget that they should be afraid of getting stabbed to death

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My favorite part is the apparently insuperable reflex to head off any attempt to make quirks matter, ever. "Small flames don't burn you BUT BIG FLAMES DEAL 1D6 DAMAGE PER ROUND AS NORMAL, BOB" The sheer effort it must've taken to put the hair-made-of-silver thing in there and not add that it turns to dust when cut off and therefore can't be sold or used for anything.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's a pretty good description of the uncanny valley, long before we had a phrase for it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

White Wolf like to pretend their game about biting people while dressed like a 15 year old emo girl and crying raises deep philosophical questions about the nature of humanity.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

kommy5 posted:

I had no idea someone could so thoroughly miss the point of recipes. They're for people who can't just throw things together and have it come out decently. Which is kind of emblematic for RPGing in the first place. And some kinds of food (or games) simply don't work with that approach at all, be it cake baking or intricate tactical games.

Also, I can't resist the obvious shot. I hereby dub this text the Monte Cookbook.

It's impressive how apt the comparison is. How much baking soda do I put in this cookie dough? The GM will assign a number of teaspoons depending on the fictional positioning of the oatmeal.

We should call these draw-the-rest-of-the-owl books.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I had a vague image in my mind of what Eclipse Phase was, and what I'm learning from this review is that the real thing is way shittier and less interesting

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nessus posted:

Sometimes gaining Acumen is harder on the wizard.

:sbahj:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't forget that it's an equally valid level-up strategy to attempt to build a doghouse in your backyard and screw it up.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wrestlepig posted:

Imagine how many cleric levels god has.

He still has to rest for eight hours a day so He can grant Himself all His spells, of course. Don't be ridiculous.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

we must be reminded of fears we have forgotten

or something

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

The werewolf beat reminds me of a lovely suggestion for interaction that a Beast should threaten to reveal a Demon not realizing this is an utterly stupid and horrible idea.

This is perhaps the strongest evidence for the fact that Beast is just White Wolf fanfiction. The original-character-do-not-steal is always allowed to tug on Voldemort's tail and get away with it, or flaunt basic established social rules and be liked anyway, because the setting conventions that prevent "real" characters from doing these things don't apply when the writer of the story you're in is on your side.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Man, "the worst part of Beast" is a tough competition, but the winner might how loving smug it is about everything. "Killing an innocent person in cold blood might sound bad. But have you considered that maybe the problem is that you're just not mature enough? Heh. Maybe when you learn to handle moral relativism you can play with the big boys :smugdog:"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Space vampire werewolves, not to be confused with space werewolf vampires.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I wonder if there's a word for "advice which is awful in that specific way that makes it obvious that the writer never thought for a second about putting it into practice himself."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yet another unfortunate side effect of the supplement treadmill is that every splat has roughly 15 eeeevil mirror versions running around. You can't swing a cat without hitting an angsty pseudo-vampire with a CORRUPTED SOUL and DARK REFLECTIONS of the normal vampire powers.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, sometimes you have to spend weeks investigating subtle clues and implications; other times you ask a dude on the street and he points at the giant glowing highrise with the perpetual storm above it that nobody ever enters or comes out of except for this one crazy rich lady who makes a weird buzzing noise.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Werewolves are perfectly fine in the Mother's Land and entirely immune to it's effects. If anything they probably feel a supernatural compulsion to point at any nearby Beasts and nelson laugh.

It's obvious that the authors realize, on some level, that Beasts are just the crappy 4Kids version of werewolves. They can't even come up with one single shred of imagery that hasn't already been done much better by the woofs (or sometimes by vamps). And at the same time, the few things that make werewolves interesting had to be filed off lest they conflict with whatever pretty princess original character somebody wanted to play as a Beast.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

All I needed to know about that Epic Feat section was that barbarians get "if you stand next to a wizard, he gets a tiny penalty to his check to cast defensively" while wizards get "you never take AOs for casting, literally ever, period."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pounded in the butt by my outdated dice mechanic