Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doresh posted:

"You critically failed your diplomacy check. Your character is missing his skin."

"You critically succeed at your stealth roll. You have noclip for 1d6 rounds."

"The ogre hits you. The knockback calculation goes apeshit and you find yourself flying to the other side of the continent."

"You talk a step outside and fall outside the world."

This is from months back, but I'm reading the thread and wanted to say that I'm intrigued about a game where every Bethesda glitch you can imagine is happening in the "real" world. The players obviously can tell something is wrong, and in their investigations discover that the world was supposed to end centuries ago, but questing heroes have stopped apocalypses so many times, essentially extending and "patching" the universe to keep functioning, that the code that handles reality is coming apart at the seams, and they need to decide if they're going to keep going patch-jobs to stave off the end, or if perhaps there's a better solution in starting with a fresh build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did it. I read the thread. Well, not very word because holy moly. But I am caught up.

So.

How about them beasts, huh? That sure is a thing there has been a lot of in this thread.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

4E Hong-Kong is great and my default setting.

I loved Shadowrun: Hong Kong on PC and would definitely play a tabletop game set there if I had any friends serious about learning to play Shadowrun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I also was enjoying Fragged Empire and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I looked at building a few sample characters myself (with my admittedly cursory knowledge of the book), and one thing that I found I like about Shadow of the Demon Lord, at least that I've noticed, is that you can't make a spellcaster with a basically bottomless toolbag with instant "gently caress-you"s for everything. I made a full caster Priest set up and think he caps out at...seven or eight spells known.

I also like that spellcasting is kind of...open. A character that dips into casting even once can have at least two or three spells, and won't automatically be worse at casting them than a full caster, and even a full "martial" classed Death Dealer could spend their level 4 on a Destruction cantrip if they are so inclined. It also seems like the game has something of a sanity check on caster powers; I didn't see any roll or dies when I was scanning for spells (though to be fair, there are a lot of spells so I may have overlooked some). I think the strongest single spell I saw in the game, damage-wise, was 9d6, and it was spell you'd get to cast once at max level. A dedicated weapon based character might be able do 5d6 or even 7d6 a turn if they had a lucky streak. Casters can be still be invaluable, but they aren't equipped to obviate or replace the other half of the party entirely.

Speaking of Make Mountains of the Dead: Agreed that it's great name, but how often is a level 10 going to be running into crowds of guys with 20HP or less? Seems great if your antagonist is the zombie-horde kind of necromancer, I guess.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A dedicated tank character is probably going to have 65 to maybe 80* Health depending on their path choices, so Engineers definitely have themselves some big boys backing them up.

* edit: yeah, a dwarf (with their +4 to health trait) who takes just the paths with the highest net health gains and stacks strength could get a health total of 74, which they could buff to 84.

That's another thing I kind of like about this game: health pools have a harder time getting wildly huge. A priest could expect about 50 health, a magician 30, a rogue 40, a warrior 60, depending on particular path choices. The variance doesn't seem as bad, compared to something like DnD where the dedicated fight character could end up with a HP cap five or more times greater than that of his fellows.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

theironjef posted:

Yeah, this is really something special. We were not expecting anything this cool to happen today.

I wanted to compliment you guy on your podcast, actually--I have found I'd be bored to death walking five miles without you guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So as someone who isn't very familiar with the property, and wasn't here for the original post a year ago, what exactly is the premise of Deathwatch? If Space Marines are basically supposed to be fighting aliens and demons all the time anyway, why would they have a mixed-chapter organization for doing one of those things? Is it about pooling resources or improving relations between the chapters?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What qualifies someone for banishment? Forgot to praise the Emperor that one time?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

wiegieman posted:

FFG did end up doing their own thing from the ground up, and it was WHFRP 3rd edition, which is kind of like what they did with Star Wars except when it's not.

Man, I really liked some of that game's ideas and even bought a boxed set for it only too realize I'd discovered it too late and it was almost immediately dropped afterwards (I guess because FFG and GW split?) At least I know a few more people interested in their Star Wars games now, so I might have better luck with that or talk some of them into trying out WHFRP3e.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Since people brought up Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition when talking about Deathwatch, I decided to look at the rules for the first time. Is there a reason I wouldn't spend my first 100xp on exiting to an Advanced career if I could get the trappings together? Is it just leaving advances on the table?

Is there still a WFRP thread for questions like that? There was one for 3rd edition for a while, but I think it died.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Given I'm still engaged in a long-term review in which I intend to eventually get through all the sourcebooks (I've been without computer for days and phone-posting until recently) I can answer that: In 2e you cannot exit your current Career until you have all its advances. The only way out of a Career early is to spend 200 EXP and pick a Basic Career, any Basic Career, to immediately enter.

I expected that would be the case since I believe that's how it worked in 3rd edition, but I couldn't find the sentence in the rules that actually said that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Make a game that has two giant custom peg boards like the one used in Battleship, a screen that completely encloses the DM and duplicates of literally every monster and player piece. Each five foot square is its own peg hole, and each medium or small sized character is a peg, with larger monsters taking up more pegs. Every turn the characters declare their move, and move their pegs to different squares--"I take a ten foot step to square Lamda-99." The DM will then move all relevant monster pieces and declare when they are visible to the players, who will then place their own copy of the monster piece on the board.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I played 3.5 all through college and at no time did we ever use a map or a grid.

Now I do remember visiting my friends after college and my friend who was dm'ing busting out a rolled up dry erase square grid map and saying "hey, wouldn't this help?"

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 4, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Me neither, tbh. Played loads of 3.x and always with a grid. Like, how would you even do attacks of opportunity? Or backstab/flank with a rogue? Or even cast a fireball and know who it would hit?

Basically the dm just kept a mental map and everyone negotiated bullshit.

Did the enemy try to pass a character based on the agreed upon dimensions of the battlefield? Opportunity. But was he really six feet away instead of five when he moved past? Sorry.

Where can I put the fireball to maximize targets? Oh, you could get the three guys on the left or the bugbear and one of the goblins.

It let people bullshit more interesting actions into the fight that 4e then actually made an official part of the game, as everyone I knew used it, but it was all fiat. Rather than embrace what 4e was trying to do as I did, all my friends complained that the fact that silly stunts were a part of the rules meant "imagination" was thrown out.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 5, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I seem to recall reading it was some executive mandate to include a white male human fighter, which annoyed the artists, and owning that guy was a rebellion on their part that later people kept up because it was funny.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean you can arrange things however you like but don't stop the Fragged Empire train

not an emptyquote.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Was there a class of gearbots or monsters call the Cog-niscent yet? It just feels apropos.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is it possible to have this concept of a roaming clan or nation of fantasy thieves and fortunetellers without immediately connecting to real world Roma, or is that just a spoiled, ruined-by-racists idea at this point?

Maybe swap a part out, so like they are mercenaries and oracles? Or they are predominately priests of the god of journeys?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 15, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Using the very term "thieves and fortunetellers" is essentially borrowing from the base stereotypes of Romani culture, so don't do that. It really depends on how many points of commonality you have with the stereotype. It you're serious about doing it right, it'd actually be better to speak with members of the Romani community than a bunch of goons. A major issue, in addition to the usual gang of stereotypes, Is that those cultures ate almost universally othered on a level that even most "demihumans" aren't. You can play an elf or a dwarf, but you can't play a vistani, that would ruin their mystery.

It might be interesting to do a Romani-inspired fantasy based on their beliefs and mythology, but once again, you'd be best served by speaking to that community and researching direct sources.

Amazing.

Night10194 mentioned the Strigany, and while I don't have much experience with Warhammer lore, what little I read suggests they are people from a country that was ruled openly by vampires that the rest of vampire kind turned against so hard their land was destroyed and the people scattered. The idea of people being persecuted because the petty deceptions of vampires turning even other humans against them actually sounds like a good hook, but then the only Strigany specific career is just "no we're literally just a bad Roma stereotype and it's one-hundred percent right. People hate us because we really are just roaming grifters and con men, but some of us are also secret mystics (just still in league with evil vampires.)"

Like...there's no imagination there. There's an idea in there for a kind of vampire-based diaspora that could have all sorts of character hooks or stories, but they didn't do anything with it but drop a racist caricature in and call it a day.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

I was thinking possibly something like Fantasy American Imperialists; roving bands that will suck down every resource they can get their hands on to expand their caravans and families, whether by theft, scam, or trade, before moving on to another area to loot. If you got food, they'll steal it, if you got trees, they'll clear cut them, and if you got metal, they'll trade it for trinkets and magic. All shall feed the insatiable maw of the Nacirema.

I like this. I imagine them living in a giant wagon train, emphasis on giant wagon, where some of the wagons are so large they need hundreds of oxen to pull them and can support a parliament with all their accompanying staff. But it's just for one really rich "trade creator."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

darthbob88 posted:

Possible, I hadn't considered the Supply-Side aspect. I was just thinking about the notion of First-World-as-parasite, but instead of sending their merchants to buy your last grain of wheat, they come and take it in person. Alternatively, mid-19th century Americans, who come to take your poo poo Manifest their Destiny as they continue chasing the horizon. Just that kind of arrogance that it is right for them to take your poo poo, and that you are in the wrong for resisting.

They take the "march of progress" literally. The working man types will say "Ain't got time to look back, we have to keep on keeping on," and, "If you stop to think about every little thing in our way, you're going to get trampled by those that don't."

"Falling behind" figuratively could mean "falling behind" literally as you get dumped to crummier wagons at the back of the wagon train or even thrown off entirely. People without wagons are seen as the ultimate layabouts and good for nothings, without the sense to "get off their laurels" and just "Get on with Progress."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think the big problem with this metaphor is that if it exists in normal reality in Creation, they would either be a poor analogy (nomadic herders with weirdly Objectivist ideology) or would need some kind of military advantage or else they would get crushed and murdered by someone with even a kinda lovely army. The main reason America was able to get so big and fat is that we have been real good at punching down.

Oh absolutely. I was taking it as a given in my head that the "diplomatic" first wave that runs ahead of the wagon train does all its work with guns at hand. The average citizen is heavily insulated from retaliation by a massive bubble of guns, and even basic relations with those they encounter are colored by the implied threat of this cavalry.

Maybe this concept is more plausible in a sci to setting where everyone is on ships in some great migration. Like they believe if they reach the galactic core they will be closer to heaven, and anything they take to get there is fair game so long as they get to keep going.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Do whips do slashing nonlethal by default? Because it seems to me if they don't then the Butcher ability literally doesn't work as written, on top of being bad. Did the writer think Deadly was something else?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Isn't a coup de grace's dc based on damage done? So that's like a +4 to virtual damage on a helpless target?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How immediate is that "reincarnate as an infant" thing? Because i love the idea of the family getting ready for granddad's passing by stocking on diapers and baby formula. "I know you're not a young man anymore, so here, I got you a new jumper and booties."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Angrymog posted:

Talking about the Elves? It's all a bit woolly, I don't think it's something they have any control over - i.e. the chances of reincarnating back into your own family are pretty slim. They do retain vague memories of previous incarnations, so elven kids are considered pretty drat weird by other people.

In the full setting book, Red Tide (written for Labyrinth Lord) there's a class called the Scion, which is what happens when an Elven soul ends up in a human body - they get strange reality warping powers as a result of the conflicting energies.

I misunderstood and thought the reincarnation was more like Phoenix or Galifreyan regeneration. Like you have a heartattack and your body regresses into infancy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I got one of my friends to read Night's Dark Masters and he is already talking about doing a vampire game as soon as we finish a starter game to get used to the core rules.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean, if your choice is chainsaw to the pelvis or near certain death by c-section... Definitely a bad day if those are your choices.

Edit: oh I just expanded the bit about Ireland holy moly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Regarding Exquisite Replicas, I kept thinking that maybe these reality surgeons or whatever they were called are really good natured but ignorant; they just want to make our world better, so they copy us into super bodies and get rid of the stuff that doesn't matter because who cares about broke trash when you've got the new you living life! You get scanned and replaced, but you have all the memories of the previous person, you're just better at being them than they are and presumably are healthier and happier too! So it's like, what if I offered you a service that took away all your pains and age related ailments and let you go on with your life, but unbeknownst to you a copy with all your flaws just gets dumped into a horror closet until he or she dies? What if it works like a Star Trek teleporter where you are ostensibly "killed" at the moment you're beamed and reassembled from data, only without the disintegration implied at the start (I think there was a New Generation episode with that hook)? Or like the Prestige--are you the copy who lives or the guy drowning in a tank?

It also seems like you could have an interesting game if you played someone who was recently replaced, and you had to find a way back. Of course you'd have to deviate from the rules as written to probably try. Same with realizing that you are one of the replicas; how does that affect how you see the world and yourself? And at least if you were rebel replicas fighting monsters like the Jigsaw men you'd be on more equal footing.

Maybe the end game should be about making the reality surgeons do their work on the small scale of people, replacing hearts and malfunctioning organs, rather than wholesale copy and replace. Can't stop them, because the game clearly won't let you, so maybe just alter their course?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nessus posted:

Gonna :goonsay: it - there's actually a TNG episode that explicitly demonstrates that you aren't dying or being killed and recreated or whatever-the-gently caress because the crux of the plot is that a guy had a much longer subjective experience of 'being in the transporter beam' than was usually the case -- but they straight up show you "getting beamed" from a character's perspective, and it is consistent and steady.

I think the thing that makes all these things appear super dystopian is the Internet cottage game of reading everything as a dystopia. :v:

As for Call of Cthulhu, I don't know if there's a fixed opinion there but it seems to me like the setting has always made it clear that while in the grand and cosmic sense you can't beat Cthulhu or slay all the Elder Gods or what-have-you, you can understand things and protect the world. So it's bleak but you know it up front that you're in a horror game. Sort of like the "Dark Fate" flaw in WOD!

Fair enough, I haven't watched TNG since I was a kid, but I was apparently thinking of the episode Second Chances where Riker was in a teleporter mishap and discovers much later that he has a "twin;" one version of him made it to the ship, the other was dropped back on the planet they had been trying to leave.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am phone posting so pretend I posted the Nerd Crew episode where they ask where Han Solo got his boots.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am picturing a murder mystery where Corp and Legion men and women, usually of a young age, are being abducted and their bodies dumped with significant(ly fatal) surgical and genetic modification. Eventually you find a Nephilim surgeon who explains that he's just trying to figure out a quick fix for their low fertility. All he wants is to help his "allies" but whole sale mass murder to get there isn't off the table one bit.

"I'm helping!" cheers the serial killer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Speaking of adaptations, I was looking at Night's Dark Masters and the attire and weapons of some of the vampire hunters reminded me of Bloodborne. Now I want to see the boomhammer and pizza cutter carve up some beastmen and chaos spawn. Trick weapons seem like a natural fit to the warhammer idea of better monster slaying through better technology.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I kinda like that the common man is starting to go 'You know, gently caress this ninja and crusader bullshit.'

"Oh boy. I'm just so tired of all these Ninja Crusades."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FATAL & FRIENDS: I am Afraid Your Clean Hitler has Metastasized!

My take away from harvester was that their scythe delivers a final death, regardless of what the normal rules would be for how that creature dies. A conundrum how that interacts with stuff that kind of just come back on their own by their nature.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 3, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And the vampire hunter was a smelly bum to boot.

Halloween Jack posted:

After seeing the new Castlevania anime, I kinda wanna rip off some of the broad strokes of WFRP's setting and play Shadow of the Vampire Lord.

I had a similar thought.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Actually, Night10194 and his friend whose username I forgot, I got some friends who are interested in trying Warhammer eventually and I am anxious about accidentally smashing their poo poo to absolute bits by not knowing how to use monsters correctly. Would you peg a guideline for what kind of and how many monsters a group of four would survive? At what point are the odds evened out against something like a strigoi? The slaughter margin in the books gives you an idea how a fairly basic soldier guy holds up against a threat, but what about people into their third career? What stuff could they stand toe to toe with without being eviscerated?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thanks for the pointers.

Also

Night10194 posted:

Chaos's desire to transcend and devalue the physical world as petty and lesser.

Makes me think of playing Chaos as a form of gnosticism or evil Buddha. Like a doctrine that the only way to escape the endless suffering of the mortal world is to go all in and embrace the suffering of mutation and terror in a Hellraiser like-manner until you explode out of the cycle (and become a chaos beast.) Like many have said, Chaos seems pretty boring in its evil, so I haven't paid them deep attention, so maybe that's what you are supposed to do and I haven't noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"Instead of skulls for the Skull Throne, why not a pelvis ottoman? A scapula TV tray?"