Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

[*]Skutharka is the three-meter tall wolf-man that controls Singapore. Formerly close to the bottom of the Nightmare power structure, his fascination with Core Earth's "cutthroat corporate culture" has combined with his fascination of Thratchen's techno-horror nature and resulted in a meteoric rise in power. This is because, instead of utilizing "normal" methods, Skutharka has begun twisting "mundane" Core Earth technologies into new sources of fear that flourish in Core Earth's urban environments. He's set up shop at the top of one of the largest business skyscrapers in the city, where he "plays businessman" like a kid would, doing things like grabbing dead phones and having fake business conversations into them.

I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Also Toon doesn't reek of being someone's fetishbait.

The art in Toon Tales gets a little furry-esque (complete with a cameo by some indie press' totally original horse-as-Red-Sonja character, which would make more sense if she didn't show up in an illustration for a Western scene.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't care if it's decades before the reference would make sense, I'll never not be a fan of a literal Wolf of Wall Street.

I just adore the image of a giant werewolf playing pretend business man.

He should have a bunch of underlings who have to play along on pain of evisceration.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do remember a specific wave in RPG publishing where a lot of books were like that- lots of white empty space for no adequately explained reason.

(Ironically, right in the middle of that trend we got D&D 3rd edition which went the exact opposite direction.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I can buy "cliff-dwelling halflings who have no real reason to live on the cliffs" on pure rule of cool, but maybe they should have made that oasis spot full of giant monsters or something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"Clearly we need multiple spells that turn your opponents into cigarettes" - An Actual Person

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Some cats can swim! They just don't like to because it musses up their fur.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oriongates posted:

One of the many, many nails in the coffin of any claim that Maga is "feminist" is the fact that it's so freaking fetishy...everyone is basically there to serve the author's/artist's kinks and frankly the only reason it's women killing and transforming men in horrible ways rather than vice versa is just because that's how the author's tastes swing. Then we get the feminism label draped over something that is clearly just thinly disguised wank material.

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.

quote:

Ever wonder why Maga who smoke use cigarette holders even today? It's our tribute to that time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like you could do something with the cycle of violence, and maybe this "we have to terrorize people to teach lessons" is some deformation of something that once wasn't innately harmful and atavistic, and instead of struggling to retain humanity you're trying to retain your clarity and the rational idea that it doesn't have to be the Beasts terrorizing mankind and the Heroes fighting the Beasts for all eternity and that you have a choice, but then someone calls you a freak or a Hero attacks you and it's just *so tempting* to strike back-

-granted at this point you're not doing much different from a bunch of other WoD games but as written I'm not actually seeing what the game's supposed to be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I will have to pick this up sometime. I wonder how easy it would be to play it as less of a grimdark world, more as light romantic fantasy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the mechanics favor romantic fantasy but the setting as described sounds like you're starting from a bad place.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so is name level for Chosen One "Chosen" or "The One"?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What I like is that the various descriptions for possible Beasts makes it clear that they really don't have a firm idea of what a Beast is or does. It's all over the goddamn place.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a huge Pathfinder fan either but if there's a class that lets you play a magical Doof Wagon Guitarist I have to give it at least my brief attention here

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Jo doesn’t tower over her prey — she’s short, but she’s all muscle. She enjoys letting other people challenge her, especially men. The challenge isn’t always or even usually physical. Sometimes they try to test her knowledge on topics they think she shouldn’t understand, or try to explain things to her that it’s obvious she knows. She destroys them; she knows what they know and she pokes holes in their beliefs and their facts, showing them sides of the topic they never considered.

"Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug."

"What did he do?"

"He used sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and satire."

(On top of this, this is literally a punisher of mansplainers. What's next, a Beast that preys on guys who spread their legs on the bus?)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Late to the party but it feels like, in your game about literal monsters, monsters that even with good intents are pretty much always abusers/cruel/whatever, using an image that looks a lot like one of those Indian lady vigilantes that wears pink and beats the poo poo out of abusive spouses/rapists/etc when the cops won't help is a bit...wrongheaded. Like, of all the vigilantes to pull the 'but aren't they just the monster in someone else's story' thing, are we really gonna do it to the people who's first rule is 'go to the cops, and if (when) they ignore violence against women like usual, then we'll club a dude'?

And this is the core of it- offensive or not, the game can't make up its mind whether these are righteous teachers of lessons or horrible abusers. They want to have it both ways, AND they want to make Heroes the Absolute Worst despite the fact that they may be on to something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, I'm sure a game where the monsters are misunderstood and their killers are the real monsters could be done. This is just ineptly done enough that it comes off really creepy.

Like just say "the Beasts never kill anyone or do irreparable harm", yay, they're fixed. But he has to be edgy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

kajitsukai posted:

Everybody knows Butt Town has the best parties.

When you live in Butt Town, you better get down.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still a bit wary of Third since it seems like this is now a game that has to serve several masters. Like, combat can be quite lethal and is kinda common in the setting but also people want to be able to make characters who have no combat ability whatsoever for some reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it's not like best-selling authors or top filmmakers think in terms of "what do the critics think I should do?" But to be a good artist you have to have a level of self scrutiny and perfectionism that means you're not easily satisfied with your own stuff, so you refine and rework it just to meet your own standards before anyone else even gets a look at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I find I'm liking 13th Age more and more for story heavy high fantasy- it's simple enough while still working and not having the kind of "we gave this monster a Save or Die because tradition" red flags that made it into 5e. 4e I definitely favor for dungeon crawling and action heavy stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Beast is the old problem of protagonist centered morality at its extreme. Why are the Beasts misunderstood antiheroes and the Heroes unambiguously evil? Because the game says so. Rather than construct an actual moral framework for this, the designer just sorta bunts it.

I think he had the idea of the bad guys being like MRAs and the like, but MRAs are guys who are dicks about women wanting equal rights and Heroes are overzealous in their pursuit of dream monsters who kill people. It was a bad fit and he couldn't make it work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there also has to be an element of "visually insane".

E: OK the B-36 is up there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh no,
not me
I never lost control
You're face
To face
With the man who paved the world

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Welp I'm already sold.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
At some point BNW's designers should have realized they were going to run out of useful splats quickly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To say nothing of Bouncing Boy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Batman was just stripped down DC Heroes, which only had two tables.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Role playing games are just like board games only there's no board.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So it's like Fate compels or Cinematic Unisystem letting the GM hand out Drama Points for setbacks but with a bunch of pointless poo poo piled on top.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it Dungeon Crawl Classics that does the whole 0-level character funnel thing? That seems a way more efficient way of going about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think I like VII. The idea of having some threat even vampires don't understand is a good one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It'd be interesting if a Vampire game adopted the old, pre-Nosferatu trope of Vampires not being destroyed by sunlight but just being completely powerless in it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'd drop it on Shadowrun. Instead of an elaborate alternate history explaining why there are demihumans on Earth and all that, they just pop up and we stick them into Crawls. Instead of all those weird Roman Empire references, you have megacorps.

But with D&D 4e's system.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 18, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Hairy segmented amoeba?

What?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Doresh posted:

Hannah St. Germaine

Black Widow: The Animation

*Gah* those proportions. Even for manga-style art that's bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Based on this review, I'm kind of baffled why anyone would play 13th Age. It feels kind of... Pathfindery, an attempt at "fixing" D&D without actually understanding what needs fixing.

Having never read 13th Age myself, the way people talked about it I always thought it was far more FATE-esque, a lot more narrative.

To me it's my go-to if I want to run a slightly more narrative kind of D&D, with much simpler rules than 5e or 4e. It's not a pure FATE game but it does encourage a certain player buy-in to the setting, the balance issues are all within the realm of easily glossed over in play, and it's just a lot easier to pick up.

Like, I feel that beyond any comparisons to 4e the problem with 5th was it didn't simplify *enough*- it kept too much fiddliness.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what the characters in a My Little Pony game would do in an average session- "adventuring" isn't really a thing. (Equipment lists also seem like an odd thing. How do they carry all this?)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
AAH just seems to me like a particularly "edgy" version of Metamorphosis Alpha. Being trapped on a ship with monsters is a good premise, but yeah, they got the balance all wrong.

And it is that cascade of "psychological distress leads to demons which leads to death and even more psychological distress which leads to more demons" that is the problem. Giving the monsters the ability to directly inflict that psych damage just makes it too easy. They're already inflicting distress by killing people!

Like I think you could mechanically dial that effect waaaay back and still have it be enough that it explains things like the Supermax portions getting overrun. LARGE concentrations of madness/depravity attract hordes of monsters, but not just every time someone gets stressed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
How does AAH keep going.