Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lina Inverse buys a cursed knife that makes people go berserk at a Magic Weapon Store. The shopkeep wasn't even evil or anything; clearly the GM just rolled on a random table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

Lodoss War was apparently /heavily/ embellished compared to the actual play, in the original game Parn died like a couple of sessions in and Deedlit looted all his stuff before pawning it off.

Good. Parn sucks.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

Also it includes phrases like "CAST OFF THE YOLK OF GOVERNMENT RULE"

drat Egg Council got its claws into the TTRPG community!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Just summarize the whole contract to "Don't stab each other in the back because you think it's funny, you chucklefucks."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Doresh posted:

Preferably one you wear on your wrist like a watch.

This is quickly turning into Yu Gi Oh duel disc technology.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Literal Blender Zombies.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Peasant: The Murdering

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yep. BRP based, though it had a big book of conversions.

Man, what a bunch of studs.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Selachian posted:

The Thieves' World boxed set was pretty awesome, though. Besides stats for the various characters and things in the books, it included a huge map of Sanctuary, tables of random city business and encounter generators, building floor plans, and for some reason a copy of Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder' which, as it happens, goes nicely with the current discussion on realism in fantasy.

Started reading this, but had to stop because I got to the part where Anderson calls katanas "marvels of metallurgy" over the "cruder blades of Europe."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Middenarde

Arrows that hit targets may be recovered by picking them up. A Visual Acuity check (DC 16) will return a number of missed arrows equal to the roll minus the DC, plus one. A ranged weapon will take damage as though it hit even if it doesn’t hit, so roll the weapon’s damage dice regardless.

So if I fired off one arrow, then rolled a 17 on my Visual Acuity check, I'd find two arrows?

Bonus!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

AKA half of Cinemasins' MO. (The other half is popping a boner literally anytime a woman is on screen. Not even like scantily clad or doing a sexy thing. Just a woman.)

And even when Cinema Sins is pointing out plot holes, a lot of that time the guy is just wrong and wasn't paying attention to the plot of the movie or the character arcs.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

He's literally admitted that he writes them while scrubbing through the movie.

I think we're agreeing that Cinema Sins is emblematic of Nerd Plot Hole Culture.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Salvation Army could gently caress a vampire up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

It is immoral for humans to not give their surplus blood freely to the vampire minority. It's just going to waste otherwise! Merry Christmas everyone!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Sounds like a great way for a group of mages to get killed and possessed by the strix.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The Sin of Onan posted:

Do it the other way round. Make a Legacy of Liches who get their immortality by hunting down shadow-birds, trapping them with light or fire, and then huffing them like petrol fumes. There's a hosed-up antagonist for your cabal.

If I walked in on a lich's sanctum and saw them sucking down an entire shadow owl, I'd probably just turn around and leave quietly.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Serf posted:

NWS for nudity and general grossitude

Really appreciating that the artwork for all three of these is some form of grotesque. Especially that wizard.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Why hello, Joseph Joestar.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

So I admit to skimming over the first few Polaris posts. Is infertility really a widespread crisis in-setting? Any hooks as to what is causing it?

Also reading the word Fertile so many times in a row feels uncomfortable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Karl Edgesteel is a pretty great Reaper Player username.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Here is my Beast rewrite:

Each player is some sort of tortured royalty cursed into a monstrous form for some personality flaw. They must find true self-actualization to break their curse.

Also the crockery sings a lot.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

This is from months back, but I'm reading the thread and wanted to say that I'm intrigued about a game where every Bethesda glitch you can imagine is happening in the "real" world. The players obviously can tell something is wrong, and in their investigations discover that the world was supposed to end centuries ago, but questing heroes have stopped apocalypses so many times, essentially extending and "patching" the universe to keep functioning, that the code that handles reality is coming apart at the seams, and they need to decide if they're going to keep going patch-jobs to stave off the end, or if perhaps there's a better solution in starting with a fresh build.

Sorry, this is just Demon's/Dark Souls.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I've been skimming the Polaris posts, but the setting mostly seems kind of relentlessly samey with regards to the different nations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Ruk has the Gom Jabbar, and that's great.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The Hanged Man Nephilim that Jef and John mentioned in their review (guy made of fire pretending to be abnormal person) sounds a lot like Demon.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I heard that Pugmire (man what a bad name) was kind of boring?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Yeah that's kind of the general problem I have with Sorenson's work (cough Inspecters cough). There are some hard settings details, then a disconnect between the details and enforcement that puts all control in the GM's hands and that's really it. Sometimes it does read a lot like "I have no idea what to do with this, I guess I'm just building the framework for the right person to come along to use it" and admittedly that's a designer standpoint I kinda prefer as opposed to when the designer is so far up their own rear end with plot and world details that they can't even see the player anymore. It's a hard line to balance.

I did a review of Inspecters, and I've run the drat thing, and I still don't understand if the Gear Up phase before tackling the actual ghost/whatever itself actually does anything mechanically. Also, the Stress Dice mechanic is horribly punishing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I will never get over Fight!'s artwork. Especially all the dudes with arms and legs larger than their torsos.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

Hey, how about we do the thread's namesake? System Mastery presents FATAL. The first one, specifically.

You're performing an invaluable service.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Coral Republic, because I want this farmperson to find out they're actually a wizard.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

As I got reminded today Mr. Talsonian is/was working on the Witcher tabletop RPG, I thought of giving the original

a FATAL & Friends treatment.

Gonna have to give it a proper skim to see if bad mechanics and nice art is enough to make it worth everyone's time.

(Yes, it was supposed to be a tie-in to the utterly terrible movie/series)

Hell yeah.

Really appreciating how that dude's helmet flew off after he was already on the ground.

Also Geralt really capturing that murderhobo aesthetic. No comment on the dragon's weirdly tiny head.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I don't really know what I could post about the Tharkoldu creation myth except "it is terrible" and move on.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Cheesetator

Mmm, Cheesetaters.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Various posted:

Oh hey I had this laying around.

I thought this was a Naruto Jutsu chart. I am still not convinced it isn't.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I still think of the Alexander the Great cartoon whenever someone talks about REIGN.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Plants doesn't even include Triffids as an example? Lame.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Had your ankles sent to the Shadow Realm by Shadow Blades.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

nothing builds a rhythm like the beats of conversation.

Put that on a shirt or a mug or something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Huh. I'm reminded of Forsooth! Which is a Shakespearean rpg which comes across closer to Fiasco. Pretty good fun too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

If I have a copy of the rules of Forsooth! I'll do a write up sometime. I don't recall it being very rules-heavy overall.