Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

7th Sea! on today's System Mastery! With that heady mix of excellent game design and weird rear end in a top hat game designer. This was a really fun one.

What... just happened? I got about fifteen minutes into this episode and then woke up naked in a tub of ice. I'm posting this from a phone I found in a plastic bag next to me. Does this room even have any doors?

(holy poo poo the Campaign reference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I made a typo, it should be Artorios, not that there's much in common with Dark Souls other than "was a knight". I don't think there has ever been an official translation of Rifts (or any other Palladium game) into another language.

They Are King Arthur References; there is a (contested) theory that Arthur's name descends from the Roman family name Artorius.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Starfinger question - is magic an actual thing in this game universe? Or are you just referring to some abilities derisively as spells because they might as well be.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I do love the idea of an adventuring party opening a closet door and a dozen angry skeletons pouring out like some kind of necromantic clown car.

From a few pages ago, but: The Dark Tower (a Judges' Guild AD&D module) did this in 1980 - you take a flight of stairs upwards and open a door and your GM says, "Bones spill out as you pull the door open! This Room Contains One Hundred Skeletons"

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

It'd be kinda cool to see a horror game with combat rules focused on how the fighters in the party can specifically slow down or drive off the monster of the week when it attacks while you solve the mystery.

A combat system based around buying time and 'We'll hold it off, get that door open!' is something I've never personally seen before.

Blades in the Dark has 'clocks' that you fill or empty by making appropriate checks in a given scene. That would totally work for this.

Also Horrient has been extremely fun to read!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

One thing we came up with in the Discord was the idea of "indulgence lootboxes".

An actual jewelry box that when opened displays a hologram of a saint's fingerbone or a fragment of the True Cross

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

The Phantom Tollbooth gets really weird in the last few chapters.

The Terrible Trivium is like the perfect 'morality play' monster to be an RPG villain. O brave warriors, collect ten bear asses!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Yes. It would be considered gauche to hide the actual rules under any less than 3 layers of allegory, after all, which leaves no-one actually knowing for sure what they are. They count entirely on panache to see them through as they make it all up.

I love this whole thing as a mechanism for letting your players bullshit their way through what 'should' be delicate social interactions without having to actually remember a bunch of etiquette a la L5R/Glorantha/Tekumel

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Hmm, how can I differentiate these suns? Ah, with color! Let's see... Grey. Silver. Pale. Yep, these are all different, my job here is done.

Supplementary Green Sun joke: I can't believe Cook included the entirety of Homestuck in his game

Seriously though W. Languray thank you for your sacrifices in bringing this pile of utter wank to us.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

yess :buddy:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

Some day I want to see a big list of the weird sounding names that Chinese developers came up with for their fantasy Europe game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

I showed this image to my father, who is a writer and sometime editor, and he said "what the hell is that hideous gutter bullshit doing down the middle of the page? there's no excuse"