Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Night10194 posted:

The single most helpful thing anyone can do in RPGs is have an earnest discussion between players and GM about shared expectations for their game and reach a point both agree on.

Unfortunately I've only been in one group that ever did that. The other groups I played it were just...disasters, in that regard. You'd have a player who wants things to be serious, while someone else at the table makes a joke character is consistently goofing around. It made for some unfun sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Shirrens (+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha)

Bug-people that apparently freed themselves from a hive mind called THE SWARM recently. They have blindsense, telechat, and one-a-day reroll when they're near a teammate, and that's most of what defines this race. It's also the first race we see with bonus HP (+2 per level). They have three sexes (female, male, and "hosts" which actually incubate the offspring of the first two), and carry around their baby larva in protective containers. Apparently choice and individuality has a druglike quality for them, and they're generally friendly since they fall back on old hivelike cooperation.

Probably the most interesting sorts I've seen so far.

Er, all the races have an HP bonus, though? I just looked and Vesk and Shirren get a +6, Ysoki a +2 and everybody else +4. :confused:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Meh. I'm too lazy to set that up. I'll use a bone ooze instead.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Forgotten Realms is pretty bad about it, too. Moon Elf, Sun Elf, Star Elf, Sea Elf, Drow, Wood Elf, Wild Elf...

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

That looks like a ghost trap she's setting out.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Libertad! posted:

Lockjaw causes the jaw muscles of a target to clench up on a failed Fortitude save, rendering them incapable of speech or verbal casting and lasts indefinitely until the target succeeds on a save they can make once per day. Although second-level (1st if Iron domain), this is a really powerful anti-spellcaster debuff. Much like Babble but targeting less people and with a shorter duration.

Can you only target people with Lockjaw? Or could a Sei, say, cast it on a crocodile to keep it from biting a party member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Libertad! posted:

Here's the source of the rules text.

As a bite attack is quite clearly a form of "eating" for many monsters, I'd rule it as yes. Granted I can see some pedantic gamer going "you can bite something without eating it" but yeah.

Yeah, I'd say yes for some monsters. It'd make the spell pretty handy if the party's warriors are getting chewed up one side and down the other.