Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

senrath posted:

Well, yes, but those are called kunekune. Anyone who is selling a "micro" or "teacup" or "mini" pig is preying on ignorance.

Well, no. There are a few other breeds as well. The Gottingen, for example, averages around 80 lbs and is occasionally seen in the pet trade (though it's mostly sold to laboratories). There's also a variant of the Chinese pig in the US (EDIT: also mostly sold to laboratories) that averages around a hundred, and they're variously called mini or micro pigs. It's just that they're a lot less common in the pet trade than someone who wants to sell a regular piglet and claim it's a micro or mini pig (and then pretend they don't get over thirty pounds, which just ain't gonna happen with pigs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ah, once again we discuss the Rogue Problem.

Man, I need to update that more often.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I thought that too, but then we learned that apparently in Chronicles of Darkness, your soul doesn't really have anything to do with who you are as a person, it just supplies your willpower.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

I'm not saying that everything Sauron has done is justified, but you have to admire his commitment to his principles.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
In my latest Sgt Nerd column inspired by crap I read in this thread, Decision Points

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Which just makes the "Beasts are everyone's best buddy!" thing all the more baffling.

Also, reading the Union bit made me realize part of what bothers me so much about Beast. The justifications they use remind me a lot of the justifications pedophiles use, down to the victim blaming, abuse tactics, and the attempt to tie other people's objections towards their actions to actual oppression against gays and trans people.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Back when they first were talking about it, it was pretty much just a d20 supplement with dogs. Now I guess it's a d20 supplement with dogs and advantage/disadvantage? I guess we'll find out soon what it's like.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any chance we can see a chart of the new 7th Sea's dice probabilities?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think there are some cool bits you could do with the premise. The execution sucks, but I don't think the idea is unsalvageable.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Oh, hey, Tianxia! I used to hang out with Denise Jones online. She's good people.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My great, great, great grandfather, Sheriff Evelyn Belzar Armstrong (I am not making that name up), was partly responsible for Harry Longabaugh, the Sundance Kid, becoming an outlaw. He and his deputy, James Swisher, went to arrest a friend of Longabaugh's, Buck Hanby. Hanby reached for his gun and was shot. Swisher was afraid of retaliation from Longabaugh and swore out a complaint. Longabaugh was apparently arrested, but escaped, becoming an outlaw.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Genius has some cool ideas, but it's entirely too in love with itself. A good editor could maybe have turned it into something good. That's honestly a big part of the problem with fan projects and labors of love in general: When you're super close to a project, it can be difficult to step back and figure out what's actually good and what should be cut out or rewritten.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The problem is that "Why are there vampires?" or "Why are there werewolves" were questions that didn't need to be answered by Mage.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thing: The Noun. You play as a Thing, secretly living in the mundane world while dealing with Thing stuff. In the background, the Noun looms large.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

Have to be honest, all the political drama involved in the industry now is just filling me with outrage fatigue over people behind games I barely get the chance to even play anymore. And what is it all worth?

Just remember that some of the people are pretty cool. And remember that the coolest people are often the ones hit hardest by the shitheads, and most in need of support, even if it's just by letting them know you like their games or think they're good people.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

Why would they bother inventing black powder if they're natural-MDC? The bullets would just bounce off.

Mining, maybe? Didn't it say a few pages back they were peaceful until they were enslaved?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hostile V posted:

Many afternoons got whiled away by smoking hydroponic weed when they weren't doing stupid magic fuckery with their dirtbag friends on the bad part of the ship.

Tasoth posted:

Too much time spent talking to dolphins.

Dirtbag dolphin friends.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hostile V posted:

Well hello mental image of a dolphin wearing a cut-off denim vest, a shark tooth necklace and a rat tail.

My work is done here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

Is this like, including children and old people? What is causing all of this, are the dolphins just repeatedly hammering everyone's junk because they're assholes? Or is it the Generic Postapocalyptica?

You'd think they'd try to figure out how to make some Zentraedi clone cylinders instead of loving around with supercavitating torpedoes.

It was mentioned earlier in the setting that a huge percentage of humanity is sterile, meaning that sustaining the population is fairly huge. This is used to justify lots of really gross poo poo in the setting.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Or gone over the timeline, but had little bits with "And here's how your players can change things!"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you're going to start players off as poo poo-farmers, give them a clear, obvious path to not being poo poo-farmers, and make sure it's baked into the game to make sure lovely or inexperienced GMs don't gently caress it up. So yeah, from what I hear WHFRPG is pretty good at unshitfarming characters.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've said this elsewhere, but I wanna say I really do appreciate the work inklesspen has put (and is putting) into the archives.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts Index & Adventures Volume 1, Part 1: “Dedicated to the thousands of fans who have made the Rifts RPG® a part of their Megaverse®.”

And now, for something somewhat different.

The Rifts Index & Adventures Volume 1 review is going to be delivered in an audio format. I wanted to do a bit of an experiment and this is a fairly safe space for that, due to the relatively tangential nature of this book. Also, I needed something interesting to distract me from being reminded of the utter meaninglessness in reviewing a book like Rifts Index & Adventures Volume 1, and the bottomless pit of melancholy which could easily result.

I apologize for the amateurish presentation in advance - this is my first time doing something like this, and there are plenty of ums and lipsmacks. I have no excuse other than the fact that if I worked to make sure it was perfect, it likely would never have seen release. This part has a particularly rough cut that I didn’t notice until it was too much of a pain to fix, as well. Nonetheless, I’d like to hear what you think.

As a side note, I mention that Rifts Sourcebook 2: Mechanoids wasn’t included in the index because it was too new! That’s wrong!... I have no idea why it’s not in the index! Maybe it’s not “canon”? Who knows?

Here’s part 1 of the review! In related news, life has no purpose! :dance:

Also, here’s a visual guide of some of the pictures mentioned in the review.

Various pieces of concept art by Kevin Long.

A picture of Triax fighting Brodkil not from any previous book.

Next: A town is terrorized by a giant mind-controlling fart.

Sorry. I just prefer the written reviews for a few reasons. For one thing, it's a lot easier to stop partway through and come back to it. For another, I like your jokes and asides that you're not getting into as much here. I like being able to just stop and internalize the information without having to scramble for the pause button, and to be able to just scan back through the last line without having to try and get the track back to where it was.

It works with something like System Mastery because Jon and Jef are good about bouncing things off of each other, and I'm okay with dealing with the problems of the format there. However, I just don't feel like going audio here gains enough to be worth the issues. Granted, you're also doing this for the first time, but I feel like you're just not as entertaining here as you are when you write and post.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's definitely room for Tomb of Horrors style gaming. It's just that a lot of gamers don't get what you need to do to make it work, and how it works against other styles of gameplay they might be trying to get at the same time.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
High lethality generally works in two circumstances: 1) Character creation is quick and effortless, and the game puts little focus on character growth, individual stories, and focuses more on group success (letting you go with a line of characters conga-ing into their certain dooms), or 2) combat and similar high-risk activities are rare and generally initiated when players decide to push the envelope (or at the climax of an adventure). Honorable mention goes to games where "dying" doesn't actually remove your character from play, a la Paranoia or Dark Souls.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Shermans also initially had the issue where they kept the ammo on the top of the tank, which led to them being called the "Ronson" (lights first every time). A lot of people blamed the fuel, but it wasn't really any different from most tanks. Once they started using wet storage on the bottom of the tank, they became much safer.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Specifically, casters were brought down by making the spells less powerful. The wizard equivalent is actually more powerful in terms of class features and flexibility of spellcasting... but the spells available aren't as powerful, leading to a less powerful class overall.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, I'm sure the creator of Far West will put that license to use any time now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think a lot of it is because of how deeply nerds tend to define themselves by the media they consume.

If a nerd likes something, then they have trouble accepting any criticism of it, because they see it as an attack on themselves.

On the other hand, if a nerd doesn't like something, then they feel attacked by the people who do like it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the biggest piece of information missing from ARB's Juicer Uprising review is how many Teslas each Juicer type can lift.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

It's okay. You're our big dumb idiot and we wouldn't have you any other way.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently converted a setting from 13th Age to Savage Worlds. Mostly, this wasn't too difficult, though turning class abilities into edges, spells and the like was tricky. Then there was the bestiary. This was actually fun! I like making monsters for Savage Worlds. And there weren't really that many things in it.

Once I finished that, I went to the final step in the conversion process: The adventure path/plot point campaign. Hoo boy. Not gonna go too into it, but one big difficulty I had was that 13th Age has most of the iconic D&D monsters, while Savage Worlds, being a generalist system... doesn't. So I had to repeatedly run back to the Bestiary and add in Sahaugin, and Weretigers, and so on and so forth.

Finally, one adventure said to use Vrocks for the inhabitants of a flying island. I made birdpeople I named Awks. The quote for their statblock is "Scraaawww!" I'm not sorry in the slightest.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks, Angrymog. Also, enjoying your review.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
But putting any of that into a game would require Siembada to work out how a government actually functions rather than just pull random statistics out of his rear end.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Magic Items in 13th Age suck. The whole 'Item influences' thing is the worst; one of the problems in D&D was often feeling like you were playing a carrier for a ton of magic baubles that did the real work. Having them directly influence you with fishmalk quirks is just irritatingly stupid.

When I converted a setting from 13th Age to Savage Worlds, one of my biggest frustrations was that a lot of the adventures and setting stuff assumed magic items were a default, while Savage Worlds doesn't really have a good set of magic item rules. I've been working on something to replace the current rules, mostly stripping out the stuff that gives static bonuses and Edges and giving GMs a guide on about how many magic items a character should have at a given rank.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the review doesn't say it's poorly written, it says it's poorly edited.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm curious. Is it possible in RIFTS to fail to qualify for any OCC? Does it have any rules for what happens then?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Random rolling isn't terrible if it's designed well, and in the right game. It works in Gamma World because the options are all fairly equal and it fits the gonzo nature of the game. I remember someone saying in... Reign, I think, everything was balanced so that any two rolled characters would be roughly as good as each other. It's terrible when it's "Roll high to not be complete poo poo."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

Okay, okay, I die on a slightly different hill: that a system randomly telling you what you are and aren't allowed to play is dumb.

That and the system randomly telling you if your character can meaningfully impact the game in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah. Pathfinder psychic magic is just not that interesting. They were too afraid to get away from the spells-per-day system Pathfinder uses, and they didn't really bring anything new with the classes. 3.0 psionics was a goddamned mess, but at least it was an interesting mess, and 3.5 psionics was interesting and overall better balanced than the 3.5 core PHB.