Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It's like comparing Dungeons the Dragonning to something like Feng Shui. Yeah, sure, Cooke put a guy with a book for a head in there, but he's there entirely to be a guy with a book for a head for one picture. There's no connective tissue to pull it all together and no point to any of it but to look 'evocative'.

Being gonzo or weird without just being aimless and hollow takes a lot of effort.

This is utterly tangential, but there was a Marvel comic called The Order a few years ago which was pretty good, but was loaded with writer Matt Fraction's meta-referential and self-aware tics. There's a panel early on where one of the characters punches a giant cyber-bear in the chops and says, "Seriously, y'all, I'm punching a bear in the face! What the hay is going on?"

Now, by no means am I against this kind of superhero silliness, but I want it given to me straight. I don't want characters to point out how absurd it is, because that comes with the stink of the author suggesting that they have noticed how absurd it is and need you to know they are above it somehow. Neither do I buy into the idea that some concepts are inherently 'awesome' or 'weird' or 'gonzo' to the degree that they can be used in infinite combinations and never lose their flavour. This mummy is a ninja, and all that guff. I mean, yes, a sentient cyber-bear is a shedload of fun, but no bear is an island. Your wacky ideas exist among a million competing others, and without some kind of inner life or connection to a wider world, at a certain point all you're giving me is bear after bear, book-head after book-head.

That was a lot of text to say I agree with you, and I'm apparently sick of bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU