Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was listening to the latest System Mastery Afterthought, and they mentioned how the Everquest TRPG works well because the spells are mostly the sort of thing you'd expect to find in an MMORPG, and that each class has its own individual spell list, and nobody has any world-ending, reality-bending.

So I took a look and, wow, that sure is something - it's all just buffs, or debuffs, or direct damage, or AOE damage, or a summoned creature. That's pretty neat, and precisely the sort of thing I always envisioned a D&D-type spell list should be like in order to be more balanced (see also: 4th Ed, 3rd Edition Warmage).

EverQuest d20 was actually my first tabletop RPG, and the first RPG book I ever purchased. It was great, and the only reason I don't play it anymore is because a gallon jug of antifreeze burst open in my car trunk and soaked it a couple years ago.

The D&D bard could stand to borrow a lot of stuff from the EverQuest bard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

As much as I like Sailor Moon, the RPG was a trainwreck back when it was first written and it's a trainwreck now. On the other hand, nobody's tried to update it (to my knowledge) to include Sailor Moon Crystal or for BESM 3e.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Hey, I never thought I'd see Agon show up in this thread!

Just one thing about combat-- I thought that you take your Shield skill die (in Maion's case, a d6) and your shield's weapon die (d8) in your left hand, and your weapon's skill and damage dice in your right hand (the spear's a special case; you put a d8 in one hand, and a d6 in the other, and you can switch at any time before you make your attack roll); then you add your Name die into either hand?

Also, as a small note, there's a character sheet on the Agon website for characters who are left-handed instead of right-handed (the Agon FAQ seems to have been scrubbed ages ago, though. Alas. I remember it said you were allowed to shield bash as an attack with Name + Shield skill + d8.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Green Intern posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a rule that the Traitor in Betrayal can bypass certain obstacles of the house, such as being able to ascend the coal chute, specifically so they can't get completely stuck somewhere. Maybe I am misremembering it slightly.

Also there was an expansion booklet for the game, with another 50(I think) scenarios!

The expansion (Witches' Way) has 50 more Haunts and a few new Item cards, including the Chainsaw (which, besides being a very good weapon, lets you roll more attack dice if you the player actually go "BzzzZzZzzzzzzzz!" when you make the attack roll.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Maybe the 2 is silent.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Young Freud posted:

On a similar note, I remember that in Buck Rogers XXVc that one of biological weapons the Russo-American Mercantile developed was a type of wheat genetically modified to produce no nutritional benefit and have zero calories, so people would eat it and starve. RAM then donated this as relief supplies to Earth or even sold for profit to various Earth factions as agricultural product, without telling what it really was.

Not just rye-- RAM made oat, rice, rye, and barley in "dry" varieties. Drywheat and the other drygrains actually have a stat block in Earth in the 25th Century and No Humans Allowed that lists their special attack as "Starvation." (They have an AC of 10 and 1 HP, and cannot make attack rolls, in case you're wondering.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I'm the reason why my group isn't allowed to use the Book of Nine Swords (or its successor for Pathfinder, Path of War.)

When my group played Paizo's Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path years ago, our DM was foolish enough to let me play a Crusader. Somewhere along the adventure, he picked up Divine Surge (as I wrote it on the notecard, "+8d8 damage. And that's it. Sorry.") and Greater Divine Surge: +6d8 damage, with the fun part of "For every 1 Con damage I take, +1 to hit/+2d8 add'l damage." His plan for the final boss fight was to use that as soon as possible, and death-or-glory drop his Constitution from 16 to 1. (My friends reacted with a mix of horror and derision when I described The Plan, and I told them I'd only burn half my Constitution. That was a lie.)

Turns out it didn't really matter anyway, because the first (and only) attack roll of the entire fight was an extremely lucky Divine Surge critical hit that pretty much instantly killed the final boss. I actually offered to cancel the critical hit so we could have a proper end guy fight, but the DM said (with barely restrained frustration) "Nah, it's okay. She's pretty much ripped apart in one cruel blow."

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't Bo9S an intentional 'We're testing to see if this might be a better paradigm for martials next edition' book? Or am I remembering dev history wrong?

From what I remember, Tome of Magic, Book of Nine Swords, Magic of Incarnum, and Star Wars: Saga Edition were all testbeds for Fourth Edition.

It's most obvious with Bo9S and Saga Edition. Our group didn't get a whole lot of mileage out of Tome of Magic (though I remember the Binder class wasn't bad with some third-party soulbinds) and I never used Incarnum. One player in our group loves it, and I looked through the book but I'm not seeing too too much of 4e concepts in it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

How do the situational modifiers affect your ability checks in Neuroshima? From what I'm seeing, it's percentage-based but you're not rolling 3d%, you're rolling 3d20 and trying to get under Attribute + Skill + Difficulty. Like, say an Average task to shoot someone has a target number of 9, but I'm using my left hand to shoot so it's 20% harder than usual. Does that bump my target up to 11 (9 + 1.8 = 10.8, rounds up to 11)?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I'm playing in a biweekly Star Trek Adventures game; we're all agreed that it's much better than Decipher Inc's Star Trek RPG. (I mean, it wasn't *bad* per se, but it was literally possible to one-shot kill literally anything, and it was theoretically possible to use a Vulcan neck pinch on or take computer control of THE ENTIRE BORG COLLECTIVE.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

The best reveal in the setting writeup stuff in Star Trek adventures is that the animated series is canon. (They namecheck Kulkulcan as a space god along the lines of Q/Apollo/etc.)

So someone at some point has to write an adventure about Giant Spock or the return of Space Satan, genuinely chill bro to all humanity.

Kirk's character sheet in the The Original Series Character Sheets has a redshirt talking about how devoted Kirk's crew were to each other: "We were tight. We worked well together because we followed Captain Kirk's example. We would have fought the Devil for each other. Matter of fact, I think we did once, but that's another story." I guess that was a Magicks of Megas-Tsu reference?

Also, I was pleasantly surprised that the Miranda class's description actually namechecked the Ptolemy class from the old Franz Joseph Designs Star Fleet Technical Manual. (No in-game stats, though. Then again, the NX class and certain ships from First Contact that I think are cool aren't statted either.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Kavak posted:

I want an Akira-class ship too but I'm fine with nothing from Enterprise receiving stats ever.

There's a shared folder floating around on someone's Google Drive that stats some of the TNG-era ships, a couple TOS-era ships from Star Trek Online, the Odyssey-class multimission cruiser from STO, the Kelvin Timeline ships, and the Walker and Crossfield from Discovery. (No Cardenas class, boo hiss.)

No, there's no stats for the Universe class. (I don't even know how/if that'd be possible anyway.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Sounds like a similar but less-damaging problem with Shin Megami Tensei IV Final-- the final boss in that has two untranslated lines of dialogue because the playtesters were too good at the game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

JcDent posted:

Lol if you wouldn't add the biology stats to hit in a fight, hit on charisma or repair a computer network that's all, like, neural and poo poo.

This is why, when my group started Star Trek Adventures, I made a character who had Hand Phasers as a focus.

(Then I immediately screwed up by lowballing his Security score, which we'll see why that bit me in the rear end when Wikipedia Brown gets to the combat section.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

What makes it fun/good? Other than the Nostalgia ofc!

Well, it had the Buck Rogers XXVc setting which I actually kinda like.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I always laugh at the career progression for Dwarf Trollslayers in WFRP2e. It skips Dragonslayer, but goes from Troll to Giant to Daemonslayer, and from there there's only one way to leave that career: "Glorious death."

Does 4e warn you that becoming a Trollslayer is a swift road to your character's death?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I'm surprised they took the "Your head gets caved in/your heart gets pulped by the force of the blow/your lungs fill with blood/GM chooses your manner of instant agonizing death" results out of 4e's critical wound chart.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

He's a Dark Knight named DeMille who really should have stayed in bed this morning.

She's a Black Mage named Lily who was never very good at that White Magick crap.

They fight crime.

(They're only here because I'm too lazy to think of knockoffs of the party from Final Fantasy XII.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

On that note; He's an Engineer named Balthazar who think's he's leading man material, but due to how the mechanics work actually the worst with a gun in the party

(On second thought, let's let everyone else have some fun, I already came up with the leading man and lady from not-Final Fantasy IV.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Blue Mage because let's face it, blue magic broke Final Fantasy V.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I love the Modiphius 2d20 System; Star Trek Adventures uses a variant with six Attributes instead of seven and six skills departments instead of 24, and the upcoming John Carter of Mars uses another variant with just the six Attributes (you add two Attributes together then roll; considering the full rules aren't even out yet, I have no idea how this will work out when it comes time for chargen.)

Anyway, you wanted character ideas. Qwo Poo, last monk of the Kae Bing Dammit Monastery, trained in the Ancient Oriental Art of Cheatalotto. (Well, it's more "open-palm face slaps and crotch kicks punctuated by Bruce Lee noises," but it works for him.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Baldric Beerbaron, male dwarf BERSERKER!!! barbarian.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

I gave up once making a character for Decipher Inc.'s Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game. Not only was that book poorly organized as far as where everything you need to go through chargen was, I had some really badly OCR'ed copy of the core rulebook, so I got to play the extra game "Okay, what's the actual name of this Edge or Skill, again?"

(Plus, I don't want to say the game system is imbalanced, but any character fresh out of character creation can one-shot-kill Captain Sisko with a phaser pistol. That, and Captain Janeway has absolutely zero Flaws.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Nope, no Flaws. I double-checked her NPC writeup and everything. No Flaws at all!

(She has Craft: Knitting among her twenty lines of Skills for some reason.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

What are Sisko's flaws in the game, by the way? Besides "Unhealthy Obsession (Baseball)".

Sisko has the flaws Devotion (Jake Sisko), Devotion (Kasidy Yates), and Rival (Captain Solok). The only mention baseball gets is that he has the Sport (Baseball) skill at +6 to the roll, which is pretty drat high in the CODA System.

For comparison, Kirk has Enemy (Kor), Intolerant (Klingons), Species Enmity (Klingons). Picard has Infamy (his role as Locutus of Borg) and Intolerant (Borg). Kira has Dark Secret (did some things in the Bajoran Resistance that she isn't proud of), Devotion (Odo), and Species Enmity (Cardassians). Archer doesn't have a stat writeup because this game came out right around the time Star Trek: Enterprise started.

Huh. I can't help but notice that parallel; Decipher Inc put their Star Trek game out just as Enterprise was hitting the air, and Modiphius put theirs out just as Discovery was hitting All Access.

Snorb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 1, 2018

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Intolerant (Borg)?

how does that...work

I mean, is Free Borg just a thing that there is more than one of now?

The Intolerant Flaw is described as "You do not like a particular group of people; if you have anything to say about them it isn't kind, and they can contribute nothing useful to any discussion." If you have that Flaw, you have to spend 1 Courage (basically like a luck point) to even attempt any kind of social roll dealing with the group you're intolerant of.

My guess is that flaw came up a lot when Picard was dealing with the events of "I, Borg."

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess Decipher Star Trek doesn't have an Obsession Flaw that would better represent his Ahab-like willingness to risk everything to destroy them.

No Obsession Flaw. I'd say Starfleet screens out the mentally ill, but out of the nine professions in the game, only one of them is Starfleet.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

So once I get off my rear end and resume the 2e AD&D review, and then finish it, I got my hands on a Pathfinder product called Legacy of Fire, entirely because I was told it was some really weird Magical Realm poo poo from Paizo involving non-consensual mpreg and the like.

I truly look forward to this exciting adventure, because it sounds like a loving 2e Exalted Infernals crossover.

I played this campaign. I don't remember a whole hell of a lot of it, save that two of our characters(frost bomb-throwing alchemist, and a gnoll who used a freezing burst scimitar) were completely useless in the last book thanks to Paizo randomly deciding that a bunch of monsters vulnerable to cold damage were suddenly resistant (if not flat-out immune) to it, and that during the end guy fight, the DM randomly decided that the surviving PCs lost the fight after three rounds of combat. For some unknown reason that just completely defies logic and common sense, he read the author's comment that he "wanted the PCs to lose the final fight" and made up a rule whole-cloth where the PCs had 1d6 rounds to finish the fight.

The other two players I was with complained enough that the DM changed his mind after a literal half-hour long argument. Didn't matter so much to me; my alchemist got killed about a round and a half into the fight.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

How does a GM see a back half of the campaign wherein everything is immune to two PCs and not either offer to alter the elements on their weapons or alter the enemy vulnerabilities.

Tibalt posted:

There are a lot of very bad DMs out there, and it sounds like this one was very "by-the-book" here.

Robindaybird posted:

except for the add on 'win in X turns', this sounds like the guy who thinks the DM's job is to "Win"

He isn't very good at DMing D&D. He did pretty all right when he ran Star Trek Adventures last week (but to be fair, the pre-published STA adventure I ran sucked rear end.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Maybe "Powerhouse" would fit the mess that is Skaven technology.

Particularly when it starts exploding.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Feinne posted:

(Merits and Flaws in Aberrant)

On the one hand, I'm not too fond of the Merits and Flaws in oWoD, mostly because it was always a struggle for me to pick appropriate ones for a character, whether vampire, werewolf, changeling, or hunter.

On the other hand, Hunter: The Reckoning has what's probably my favorite oWoD Flaw, Incompetent. Pick a skill, and you think you have three dots in it. You don't. If you have to attempt a task that you're Incompetent in, don't roll dice. You automatically botch. Totally worth three freebie points, right?

I wanted to take this Flaw with Firearms, but my friends wisely (and correctly) said I should attach that to Law instead.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Feinne posted:

In other words, you were a SovCit.

Nope. Security guard at a Pepsi plant in Tennessee (who botched an Int/Law roll to justify "heroically" shooting a fleeing unarmed suspect in the back. Twice.)

Everyone in the Hunter team worked at that Pepsi plant; my friend who played the plant's HR manager had an expression that I wasn't sure was shock or disbelief when he realized he was the only character who didn't bring a gun to work.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

because Gygax had a weird mental block when it came to nerfing things (See also: AD&D's method to handling poison)

I've only got a passing familiarity with Second Edition; how did it handle poisons?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

[Chart of mostly "your lungs fill with blood and you die in agony"]

Good Lord, I think I'll just stick to Fifth Edition's poisoned condition (and some poisons doing damage over time or having other effects while you're poisoned). Old edition poisons are loving brutal! D:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Good Lord, I can't wrap my loving head around that!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Kickstarter, you gave us some wonderful* RPGs-- Cavaliers of Mars, John Carter of Mars, and Numenera.

You also keep giving us crap like The Game Master's Apprentice: Base Deck.

Unfortunately, the ratio seems to be more towards stuff like TGMA.

*I think they're wonderful. Shut up.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Not to mention one of the later edition books where all the interior art photos of various dolls unless I'm misremembering.

That's Cyberpunk v.2.0.3.0. One of the more disappointing books I've ever bought, along with BESM d20.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Free League Publishing is probably one of the better things that has happened on the Swedish RPG hobby because they've helped push out so many games to a wider audience abroad alongside Modiphius.
Outside of Symbaroum they've also done translations for Coriolis – The Third Horizon, Mutant: Year Zero, Tales from the Loop and most recently Forbidden Lands.
They also merged with Järnringen last year or so and started a crowdfunding campaign for Mutant: Hindenburg which is a sequel to both Year Zero and Heirs to the Apocalypse.
Not to mention they're going to reprint the books for the latter system because they're pretty much a collectors item these days. Especially some of the latter books that barely got much of a printrun and can go for a lot money.

They're also doing Things From the Flood, a sequel/expansion to Tales From the Loop set in the 1990s.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

They touch on it later on, but the primary fuel for most vehicles in CP2020 is an alcohol called CHOOH (pron. "chew").

This was the first RPG book I ever bought, and, sure, it's got a *lot* of rough spots regarding the rules, but I have a massive soft spot for Cyberpunk 2020. (Cyberpunk V.2.0.3.0., though? I will not speak of that.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Wait a minute.

Isn't initiative in CP2020 Reflex-based?

And you picked the one career that has a career skill that actively boosts initiative?

And capped that and the also-Reflex-based Rifles out?

I take everything I said back. CP2020 isn't "a system with a lot of rough edges," it's loving busted.

EDIT: and of *course* you max out Body and Empathy. Good Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

And you haven't even touched cyberware yet.

There is some Fun Stuff there that'll make Jamie even more of a nightmare.