Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
And given certain rules regarding damage in Friday Night Firefight, a helmet is an extremely wise investment in CP2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

First, if a limb takes 8 or more damage from a single hit, then the limb is severed or crushed beyond recognition, and the character must make an immediate Death Save. A head wound of this type will kill automatically. Hits to the head do double damage (I assume this means damage that gets through armor).

And there's the rule I was alluding to before: Eight damage to one of your limbs, and it's blown off/blown apart/blown up/otherwise loving Ruined, and "your head" counts as a limb. Thus, helmets are a smart investment.

(Also, my read on that rule was the damage doubled after your armor and Body Type Modifier reduced it.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Great. Now part of me wants to write up something for High Adventure Cliffhangers, the other Buck Rogers RPG from the 1990s.

Problem is, besides me being a terrible writer, is that the only supplement doesn't seem to be available in PDF form and I don't have a scanner. (There's also The Other Problem with the game, but I suppose that's well-known by now.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

West End's DC Universe RPG had one very specific possibility of death in character creation: if you bought high Speed Manipulation, you had to make a roll to resist transcending the mortal realm and merging with the Speed Force.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from remaking precisely the same character and trying again. Maybe your PC's tragic backstory is that you and your siblings Larry Allen, Gary Allen, Harry Allen, and Mary Allen all got super-speed and you're the only one that survived.

Or you could just write a Roman numeral "II" after your character's name and try again!

(Also, as much as I love Mongoose Traveller 2e, I'm slightly disappointed that corpsing out of chargen is now an optional rule.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Aparently the 2d20 system is good? Alright, maybe the Fallout Tabletop RPG will be good even if focuses on the dumb Bethesda stuff and not the original games/New Vegas. That would extremely easy to reskin.

Is Conan any good?

Conan is good; just for shits and giggles one day I made a completely randomly-generated character; every single time I had the option to roll dice I did. There was almost no decision making on my part.

I still wound up making one of the best drat archers the Hyborean Age will ever see.

Star Trek Adventures strips the 2d20 System down a fair bit, but my friends and I had a blast in our ongoing campaign before it ended. Ship combat is kinda a slog, even when you have something for every character to do. (Then again, I was the ship's engineer, willingly and on-purpose, and we fought a Borg cube.) Infinitely better than Decipher Inc.'s attempt at the game, which our GM described as "Well, that was a hot mess, minus the hot."

John Carter of Mars strips the system down even further (no skills! Most weapons just do two dice worth of damage! Build your own Talents, or choose from the premade Talents all over the loving book, thanks a lot Modiphius!!) It threw me for a loop that, for once, humans are not the dominant race in a setting (not surprisingly, it's the Red Martians; humans are the expert mode race.) Hopefully I can get my friends to try the game out.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

When you say this, do you mean playing as a human is difficult but reaps mechanical dividends, or that humans are hyper-specialized?

The former. Definitely the former.

The game takes place on Mars Barsoom, so red Martians, green Martians, the Okar (yellow Martians), and the Firstborn (black Martians) each speak a common language, which the game calls Barsoomian. By default, humans do not. They only speak their native language, probably English, in which case there are a grand total of two other people on the planet that can speak it. I'll bold and italicize this because it's kinda important: You do not know how to read, write, or speak Barsoomian. Martians do not know how to read, write, or speak any languages native to Earth. Either you need to drink some of the Milk of Barsoom (like John did in the movie) or pick it up through latent telepathy over several weeks (like he did in the books), or else get really good at charades.

The other Martian races get to start play with basic equipment: Clothing, a sword, a rifle, and basic equipment for their professions (within reason, of course.) Humans, on the other hand, are pretty much Link from Breath of the Wild in the beginning-- they start the game bare-assed naked with no equipment, just basically faceplanted in some godforsaken plateau about 225 million kilometers from Earth Jasoom. Again, bolding and italicizing the important bit: Whatever brought you to Mars didn't bring anything you were wearing or carrying along for the ride. The rules do at least throw you a bone and say that human characters know everything they did on Earth and are just as capable warriors as Martians, so if they can find something on Mars that's equivalent to something on Earth (like swords or firearms) they'll easily be able to use it. As far as the who's who and what's what of Mars, though? You're Tidus. Welcome to Spira, if Spira were a red dying desert world.

So, humans in this game don't know Common and start with the pen and paper equivalent of "three red hearts and your underhosen." What do they get for this? Talents. Essentially the 2d20 System's feats, Talents are ranked on a scale of 1 to 5 points, based on their usefulness. Martian characters get five points worth of Talents (and green Martians get a free one-point Talent representing their four arms.) Humans get seven points, and a free two-point Talent that lets them leap great distances, so long as they're on Mars or any other planet with similar gravity. The only catch is that two of those seven points have to be spent on a Talent that involves their Might in some way.

It's up to you as a player to decide whether or not the extra Talents are worth basically being at GM mercy until you pick up enough of the language to get by and can (bargain for, steal, kill somebody for) some clothing and a knife. If not, well, red Martians are the most widespread and numerous race on Barsoom.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Tsilkani posted:

Mechanically it's really straightforward. Expertise adds to your attribute for the roll, so a Coo of 9 and a Ballistics Expertise of 3 hits on a 12 or less. If they have a Ballstics Focus os 2, they get an extra success for each dice showing 2 or lower.

Fluff-wise, it's a bit murkier. I get the feeling Expertise is training, while Focus is intuitive genius.

That's my read on it, and that's how Conan handles it, too. Conan's at least polite enough to keep your Focus and Expertise equal during chargen.

For comparison, Star Trek Adventures has your character just pick six things they have a Focus in. Like, if I wanted to shoot a Klingon with a phaser pistol, I'd roll my dice and compare them to my Control (10) and Security (3). Anything less than or equal to 13 counts as one success, and if I were Focused in Hand Phasers, each die showing 3 or lower gets me an extra success.

John Carter of Mars did away with Focus entirely, saying "Add two ability scores together, that's your target number. Any dice less than or equal to the worse of those two gets you an extra success." I kinda like the simplicity of it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That Invisible Sun layout is atrocious, and reading the background information on it makes my head hurt. (Plus, I want to keep calling it Invisible Suns.)

I think I'll just stick with Numenera (and yes, I know that has its problems, but I still like it.) and D&D 5e.

Loxbourne posted:

At least the Star Trek RPG had the sense to make their cube a Borg Cube.

Yeah, but Star Trek Adventures was an actually-good game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Seconding the art; what I'm seeing of Invisible Sun is just as fantastical and out there as the art from Numenera (either edition). It's loving gorgeous stuff.

Then Invisible Sun kinda just trips and falls flat on its face at the starting gate. I know Numenera has its problems with death spirals and GM intrusion, but at least it told you fifteen loving pages into Numenera: Discovery "Roll 1d20 vs. a set target number to succeed at narratively-important tasks." Where the hell does Invisible Sun tell you how to resolve tasks?

(DISCLAIMER: I have no real issue with Numenera's GM intrusions, but the one and only time my group played it, I was the GM, and the only intrusion I wound up doing was steering the group's fighter glaive to a different building in a city.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
You know what, let's throw the character I had from FS2e in.

Private eye who (successfully) brought a sword to countless gunfights.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Wrestlepig posted:

The adjective noun that verbs isn’t a bad way to create the core of a character but having it be another chunk of Race/Class with explicit choices is very Monty Cook and doesn’t work.

I joked about trying this with our group for Vampire V5.

I got as far as "(My character) is an Agile Nosferatu who Is a No-poo poo Driver," "(Friend A's character) is a Bold Ventrue who Strikes Deals," "(Friend B's character) is a Wealthy Toreador who Creates Art From Horror," and "(Friend C's character) is a Clever Malkavian who Sees Patterns Where They Aren't" before I decided I'm not very good at this (and I didn't feel like coming up with these for the rest of the coterie.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

It feels like generally the smartest thing to do as a Hunter is to not actually use your powers(which generally seem to require you getting close to your target, which is often where they're strongest) and instead to just set traps with large amounts of explosives and incendiaries and blow up the vampires/werewolves without them realizing anyone was even gunning for them.

Or at least, that is the vibe I am getting here.

I never played any of the New World Chronicles of Darkness; wasn't that pretty much how Hunter: The Vigil went?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My Gargoyle in our Vampire: 20th Anniversary chronicle would have loved the original version of Potence.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

(assuming the PCs are actually stupid enough to fight Caine, Father of Vampires)

I thought the official stat block for him read, in full, "Caine: You lose."?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm perfectly fine with "You are an Adjective Noun who Verbs; as for your race, just tell me whether you're a human or a nonhuman."

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

One day I'll play in a cypher style Monte Cook game so I could play my homebrew dictionary Dope Wizard who is Entombed On an Airbrushed Van or Samurai Jack who Has a Working Cellphone.

I say go for it; Cypher System's flawed but I still love it.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As someone in a lovely job, my vote's for Mall Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Is this going to be more or less comprehensible than Normality?