Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
13th age has a strange problem where it's best ideas are really portable. It doesn't take much effort to add stuff like the escalation die, OUT, backgrounds and Icons to other systems, which makes you wonder why you'd want to stick with it's D&D trappings and clunky class design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In SOTDL most non-combat stuff is really stat-based as well, so Fighters don't have to worry about their Climb skill, they just Strength their way up. There's also a lot less variance in stats, so you can draw upon your intellect and will easily enough. There's a pretty simple system with Boons and Banes for doing stunts or modifying difficulty (add or minus a d6 or 2) that's a lot more player-facing and built in for doing trip attacks or whatever. The amount of access you have to spells is pretty limited as well, so Wizards don't have a particularly broad set of tools (that everyone can kind of access anyway). I haven't played it but it seems to function pretty well in theory.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You know what's a great decision in a mech game with a 4 man party? Most mechs needing lots of crew. Do you just have hirelings, or do you share one mech, or what.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Talislanta seems pretty neat, but if you've got more than 15 races you should really offer race creation rules instead.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If it's a game about booze obviously you need a drinking game for rules.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Tunnels and Trolls is really cool, it's like the burgess shale of RPGs. It does really strange and interesting stuff that never really happened anywhere else. I'm interested in how this side-thing goes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm listening MegaDumbCast, the podcast about Ninjas and Superspies someone shared earlier, and while it could really do with a cohost, I'm laughing hard about cyber blackface so it's doing something right.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If I wanted to do a warhams campaign I'd start with some Tzeentch worshipping beastmen. The duality' interesting and they'd be a fresh take on the god.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mors Rattus posted:

This is actually quite promising and I want your thoughts on the doc as a whole, Night.

after having a look at it, it's actually really good at avoiding or subverting racist narratives. That's probably because there's not that much from Games Workshop in there and the doc writer is adding a lot of his own stuff from a campaign he did, including an ancient civilisation of higher-tech snake people shapeshifters. It's a strange read.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you're writing soft science fiction with crazy supernatural stuff you should ideally be as far away from a reasonable future as possible. Maoris took over new zealand and the Aoteroan empire controls the southern hemisphere. Taiwan takes over mainland China. Who cares, the future doesn't exist and it's going to suck anyway, have some fun with it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They might be more right than you'd think, 'All Life Is Slavery' was Sheng Seleris's epiphany, and he found it from a very different context.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Sheng's fine, just because he's one half Genghis Khan and one half Antichrist and was so brutal he got his own Hell doesn't mean he has some good points about the cosmos and that the Lunars and Kralorians suck.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's exactly why it must be right, he meditates for ages and comes to the same conclusion as an ancient empire across the world, despite the differences in circumstances, and then became absurdly powerful. Plus there's the societies that become immortal by doing what they're told, like the Mostali. That shows there's gotta be something there. Shang Seleris 2020

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also, calling Mostali and Zzaburi slaves would be inaccurate at best. No one owns them.

They're immortal because they don't break kayfabe and Know Their Role.

They're slaves to Life, it counts from a certain perspective.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
not a fan of this Anti Zzabur sentiment, mors.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Insanity rules are pointless because most pcs are already insane.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That starfinder operative's Schtick would be wayyyyy better set up in the same structure as spells. It's not unexpected they didn't do that but it's such an obvious way to represent a known ability you have a limited amount of that requires prep time and triggers reliably. It's an easy non-fantasy wizard alternative.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Sorcerers have a narrower scope since their toolset has less in it, even if they’re a little more flexible. Not many sorcs are going to take Water Breathing, tongues and other single issue spells when they have to pick between those and Haste, but a wizard can easily swap those in when he hears about the mermaid merchant nearby.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't know why you'd do kidworld as an rpg. As a premise it's not terrible for a sci-fi book, I can see Steven King doing something decent along those lines, but it's a dumb fit for a game where you interact with things.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they really liked One Piece?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Someone’s got to make a one piece ripoff, that, Harry Potter and the dark tower are the holy trinity of things that haven’t been copied for a game.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Obligatum VII posted:

a cleverly placed immovable rod seems the obvious solution.

Edit: Provided you're ok with him not surviving his encounter with said rod

I’d just chuck some grease down, as long as you don’t care about looting the body

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

Imagine how a RPG about Stephen King's shared universe would read. "So there's vampires and demon crab spiders and bug-bird men and and..."

Why imagine it when you can read the dark tower.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ZeroCount posted:

Pretty sure telling people to read the Dark Tower is classed as assault in some countries.

Watch the movie then I guess

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Do dragons count as animals for the purpose of bestiality

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

JcDent posted:

What does Shadow of Demon Lord do to limit mages?

It’s vancian but pared back a lot compared to dnd, plus stunts are simpler

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So dynamite would probably not help.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

So basically HSD is the new Doom game but even dumber, with furries. Cool!

There is nothing dumb about Doom :colbert:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Feanor did nothing wrong

e:no that doesn't count

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Precambrian posted:

I just need to ask: how the hell does a black book agency that deals with the entire supernatural and extraterrestrial database of the US Government have part-time employees? Do they work 20 hours here and also pick up some shifts bartending on the side, or are these semi-retirees or something? You'd think the guys sworn to the utmost secrecy would be compensated with full-time employment at the very least.

I really hope the answer is Yes

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
stupid fucker wizard didn't tag it as Rock and Roleplay, rock and roll roleplaying sounds way worse than that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I really like how versatile Call of Cthulu is to be able to support 'investigate train passengers' and 'Massive battle between interdimensional beings and your allies, including a lot of very wise cats'

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The skinless stuff really treads the line between mythos crazy and regular traumatic stuff, it really brings up the assumptions and quibbles of the sanity system to the forefront.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They probably didn’t know about it, they have their own stuff to worry about.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

It's still a piece of cloth headwear. Would it be any better if it was the Whispering Beret or Whispering Turban?

The tower of Latria in demons souls is based around an evil turban and it’s creepy as gently caress.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fez degeneration is the name of my new post punk band.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Explicit Elitism is a pretty rare thing, I’m shocked by it whenever it comes up but I really shouldn’t be if it’s the Old Mage/werewolf guy.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

DicktheCat posted:

Also, Promised Sands, what the gently caress, rape ogres? Really?

rape ogres are all over the place, I think they were even in pathfinder

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Eclipse phase is a cool setting and it rules that it went out for free but it’s not a great system. I think there’s a good angrypost by ProfessorCirno about how the mechanics messed up Sleeving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

JcDent posted:

That's one of the issues I have when I'm thinking about Cold War guns in Space With Elves:
A rifle is a rifle is a rifle, but if you don't stat them out, you lose the Cold War gear aspect.
The other alternative is to go crazy with stats, prices, availability and so on...

If it’s spacefights with elves it’s really not worth coming up with piles of gear for no benefit. Only add that granularity if everything else has it.