Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh neat, a Fantaji review.

I like the system a lot; it follows a lot of the mindset that FATE is built on, but in a way that reads a lot more satisfying to me mechanically. But no one really knows the game so I haven't tried it out myself. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Doresh posted:

So, wanna see a far less pretentious version of what Monte might be cooking up? A game that combines OSR with FATE-like elements? Cause that's just what I will be covering.

Long time lurker, but I'd like to hear more about this.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Somehow, I didn't catch that you were reviewing Godbound even though you described it fairly well back there.

Really dig what I've read of the book so far, gets what I like about Exalted with less of the crunch involved. Hopefully more folks will want to read and run it after this (it's even free on DTRPG).

Mitama fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 11, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Doresh posted:

Lifegiver is a more focused resurrection spell, and it also grants your a permanent aura that causes all nearby allies to automatically stabilize. The former effect only requires that at least some bits of the body are left, while the latter requires the body to be relatively intact.

Lifegiver requires Effort for the day for each resurrection. The Buyer of Plagues is really vindictive there. :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Doresh posted:

Godbound

Thanks for reviewing! Godbound is really neat.

Honestly, reading about the sample NPCs in the deluxe content sold me more on Arcem as a setting than anything else in the book. Hoping that upcoming setting supplement will help too.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

So Godbound sounds pretty sweet, actually, and the system is one I could probably tolerate with my hippie storygaming self. Has anyone read the published module for it, Ten Buried Blades? The setting sounds full of things to adventure about and the random generators are helpful for making seeds but I'm curious about an example of what the writers feel is a Godbound adventure.

I have it, it's a fun read. It presents a Dulimbain town under the thumb of three powerful figures (a magistrate extorting a LOT of money from his people with the help of a crime lord, a Taoist sorcerer collecting "students" to fuel his immortality experiments, and the awakened spirit of an ancient war hero fostering a peasant revolt through his cult) and essentially tasks the players to handle these conflicting, destructive goals as Godbound would. There's advice on how to draw the players into the town's problems (assuming you're a pantheon just walking into town), as well as a lot of stuff in the margins that make it easier to run as a sandbox adventure, like what Words could be used to short-circuit particular challenges or examples on how to use Influence in the town.

It also has the Strife of the Torment Defied, a style that's all about mind over body and using pain inflicted on you as a weapon. Fun things to do include bending your body in ways it shouldn't to turn one of your failed hit rolls into a success, auto-saving against mental influence by rolling straight damage at yourself, and shattering your own bones and expelling the fragments as projectile weapons.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 13, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Barudak posted:

Is there anything for Godbound providing some pre-fab Gods written up for players to use off the bat? I'm buying this dumb game because it sounds awesome, but I'd love a little guidance/saving setup time the first session.

This probably isn't exactly what you want, but there are some character blocks in the example fight the author wrote for the beta: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4qCWY8UnLrcX3ozakNlSmJDSEk/view

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Does that make corebook Godbound the Exigents?

I mean it's really easy to frame them that way, but the default assumption is that Godbound get their powers spontaneously rather than from a patron divinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

It's extremely telling that they didn't even bother a sentence on how any of these things would inspire your Starfinger adventures. That would have at least forced them to think about the list, even narrow it down.