Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Desiden posted:

Which I'd be okay with, if I thought the writers were seriously trying to get back to the old "the Imperium is a batshit crazy place" vibe. Hell, it would probably hit the current zeitgeist if they went with the notion that the emperor was a poorly socialized idiot handed too much power, destined to become the chaos god of the Dunning-Kruger effect. But I get the impression they're going for "flawed demigod" for which the flaws are usually supposed to be about flaws in human character, not just being terrible at project management.

The Imperium has been heavily pointed out as a Batshit crazy place recently. The Emperor has been portrayed recently not as a flawed Demigod. But as an "evil possibly a god." Guilliman in particular stating that he is a horrible being who cares nothing for humans and even if he was a god he is undeserving of worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Feinne posted:

Yeah I mean there's an argument for the whole 'well humanity then has 10,000 years to advance' thing but I'm not sure how that actually makes them better at fighting than a humanity that has spent 10k years focusing all of its efforts on grimdark onlywar stuff. And this is presupposing the Orks don't take them out beforehand in a situation where they only didn't snowball out of control because of the Spess Marines.

Cause the Impeiurm never learned any lessons in it's grimdark only war stuff. Almost every war they engage in uses the same tactics and mistakes. Sending wave after wave of their troops who are not allowed to retreat under threat of death. Overly stretching their supply lines, repeated shooting themselves in the foot with bickering. The Imperium has made next to no progress in terms of tactics or tech in the 10,000 years it's been around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also most people don't actually know the difference between the Traitor Marines and the loyalist versions.

Here is a fun little thing that actually points out how the Alpha Legion is able to do it's job so well.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/08/30/konor-war-diaries-part-6-loebos/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AmiYumi posted:

Super also is at its core a series about becoming strong enough to defeat gods, assuming the mantle of gods, and finally replacing gods. It's a better fit than Z, at least.

But that never happened.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

Next Time: Realms of Sorcery! Or maybe Tome of Salvation.

As your a fan of the fantasy stuff felt like posting that Cubicle 7 has posted a few previews for Fantasy Roleplay 4e

http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-fourth-edition-system-preview/
http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-preview-combat/

They are fairly old but I did not see them get mentioned anywhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurieg posted:

There were two people from that universe that were more powerful than their god of destruction. And Goku was (briefly) stronger than his before his body gave out from the strain.

No only one was more powerful. The other was considered weak for one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

I think they changed the order of things a bit with the whole Aenerion story, I don't remember Asuryan (or any of the Gods really) making an appearance in the version I read.

They did not literally appear.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

Cannons don't summon demons. Or cause horrible things to happen if they mess up. Also aren't reliant on the magic of the surrounding area. Point for cannons.

You sure about that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Warpstone, the Skaven know how to dilute it into weaker safer forms so that it can be touched (and Eaten) and used to power their devices. Cause even they have enough sense not to touch the stuff raw.

Deptfordx posted:

I hate to sound like a Grognard, but 2nd Edition is so suited for me, I'm not sure I'd be interested in a new edition short of it being released to universal acclaim as the best thing ever to happen.

4e is based on 2nd edition. They were originally planning on just doing second edition, until they decided to refine it a tad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

One thing that really pisses me off in the later wargaming fluff is how thoroughly they throw out the whole 'Amethyst Wizards are not necromancers in the slightest' fluff, because much like 'Chaos opposes Undeath and Undeath opposes Chaos' it's another of those cool, slightly counter-intuitive rivalries that makes sense when you think about it. Of course the people about the gentle ending of things would oppose the monsters who claw onto existence at any cost to others.

I that still is the fluff. Death Magic just tends to be popular with some Necromancer types cause it's useful for murdering stuff (Which they can raise as skeletons and zombies after). The Lores of Undeath and Vampires, and other Necromancy was created by pretty much using Dark magic to corrupt the Wind of Death. (Which in itself had been modified into Nekahara's lore)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

WHFB: People sometimes confused the wind of Shysh with causing skeletons and the undead.
AoS: Shysh is literally Nagash's realm.

In this case it's justifiable. Nagash ate the Wind of Death and corrupted it a bit. Despite this the Realm of Shyish is still a realm of Heavens and Hells brought into existence by Belief. (The Dead normally traveling to their believed afterlife in Shyish which they unintentionally created.) There are two parts to Shyish the surface, which can be like any place in the world. (Though it tends to have a bit of a macabre theme because of the association with Death.) the living live here and do stuff that normal people do, like farming. Under the surface are the Underworlds which as mentioned take on appearances based on belief and as a result is filled with various afterlives. However Nagash as Shyish's most powerful god, goes around with his army of the Undead and takes control of the afterlives and people of Shyish, and consuming other death gods. Doing stuff like turning one afterlife into a prison for people that defy him. And for the longest time no one did anything about this as Nagash was promised the worlds souls as the god of death when the other gods allied with him.

Pretty much Shyish is still supposed to be a realm of natural death, but Nagash is a corrupting influence.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I don't know much about Age of Sigmar, but the "Mortal Realms" setting seems pretty esoteric. For those in the know, does it have potential as an RPG setting?

I feel like not having the more grounded sense of history that you find in the Old World will just make it harder to make it feel lived in. Like, how the heck do people act when they've just been zapped into this arbitrary place? Are there, like, roads there?

We are getting an Age of Sigmar RPG and I think it can work as one. There are Roads and towns and such. There are farmers, merchants and settlers. (Though this is relatively recent lore as in the start Chaos had more or less taken over the world and other then one Realm most stuff was under Chaos control. Fortunately they did a time skip and now a good chunk of the lands are settled and all the realms now have normal people in them.)

I did some research on the setting recently. And I think it has potential for the RPG. I have some difficulty just explaining stuff from the get go in you have any questions I can try my best to answer them about the setting. Like the place was just confusing to start with, but there is a history and the setting has become a bit more grounded recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah though it's still pretty rare for a Vampire to learn and master more then one type of magic. So they tend to focus purely on Necromancy.

Mannfred is pretty much known as the best mage of all the Von Carstein Vampires. (And perhaps the best Vampire Mage period.) Having mastered Necromancy and the Lore of Death. His pure focus on mastering magic the way he did are apparently what caused his change in appearance during the editions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Split the line in two; let WHFB 9e continue after whatever happened in Storm of Chaos, and let the official line be what leads to AoS.

Archaon is a bitch, anyways:

Chosen of Blingee, more likely.

There is some rumors they plan to do something with their old revival rules Warhammer Legends. As stuff like Total Warhammer and Warhammer Fantasy 4e coming out has heightened the settings popularity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hope they fix that in 4e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though I would assume doing those legal murders willy nilly would get you listed as one of the targets for assassination. (Which I can then see some one trying to cheat the system and trying to cash in on their own death.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

megane posted:

What if you put out a hit on yourself, take the contract yourself, and thus get a free murder without even the danger of your target finding out you're (theoretically) coming after them

I think multiple people can take the same contract.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember in the Gotrek and and Felix series we had the Dwarf Malakai Makaisson a Dwarf Engineer that was really into creating new stuff. Sadly while a genius probably far above any human he was not a very careful Dwarf who seemed determined to have Dramatic Irony ruin everything for him.

Namely he created a new Dwarf Steamship better then any before. Named it the Unsinkable and naturally it sunk in it's first voyage. After this he decided to get into the Airship and create the first working Airship which he called the Undestructible. Naturally it exploded and killed most of it's crew. After two massive failed projects experimenting he was kicked out of the Engineer's guild and took the Slayer Oath in Shame. Despite this he kept inventing new stuff considering it a personal battle.

With the help of a really reasonable Dwarf Elder. Malakai created a new Airship that worked near perfectly. (With them pretty much taking all precautions to make sure poo poo did not go bad.) He was also vetoed when it came to naming it so he could not tempt fate that way. His new ship the Spirit of Grungni, was considered a Marvel and from Felix's view it was a world changing invention, as it allowed them to make journeys that would take weeks or months in days. It allowed them to ignore the undefeated walls of Middenhiem and could revolutionize transport. So naturally the mission it was created for was a borderline suicide mission into the Chaos Wastes were it could easily be lost and destroyed preventing any more ships of it's type being created. (Luckily it did survive.)

Malakai also created the Goblin Hewer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

I do wonder how much room there is for a given wizard to play against type for their order. A bright wizard who wields fire with surgical precision, an amethyst wizard who's a devoted family man, a celestial wizard far more interested in the magic of wind and rain than in the stars.

I there are for sure a few in Celestial Collage that find the weather part more interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hopefully the Magic Lores are balanced a bit better with each other in 4e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

One thing I really like about WHF is that no-one actually has a solid answer for most of these ancient questions. The elfs and dwarfs don't have perfect records even when they share, lots of stuff is happening in places Imperials aren't familiar with like Lustria, and there's a lot of space on the map and in the setting's history where you know a broad outline but have a lot of room to write the contours. Also, when I go through these books, they have a lot of important or local NPCs but they're all framed in ways for the PCs to interact with, rather than as the big protagonists of their own story off to the left. For the most part, the setting is open for your PCs the same way it used to be open for you to make your own Lords and Generals in the wargame.

Also, lots of characters are actually interested in learning the answers to these questions, so there are plenty of people who will pay a rat-catcher, an amateur archeologist, an apprentice wizard, and their recently-discharged state trooper buddy to go into an old hole and try to figure out some of the setting's mysteries.

The Dwarfs also have the bad habit of ignoring and erasing parts of history that they think makes them look bad. Which by extension means they tend to repeat those mistakes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of Warhammer Fantasy. The new edition of the game is pseudo out here

By Pseudo out. It's because the rulebook which you can buy and download is not complete yet. it's missing a map, page refs and the index. Appearntly barring something going wrong it will be updated and completed within 2 weeks.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

If anyones got it and can write-up anything about it that'd be great. I am humming and hawing about picking it up.

I would but I suck at writing and at analyzing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Warhammer was originally a way to make RPGs about elves and dwarfs without getting sued by the Tolkein estate.

I thought it was originally a company that was distributed D&D cause Gygax thought they were an established company rather then three men in a flat. Who nearly merged with TSR to retain exclusive distribution right, but the owners other then Gygax were against it. Though once they did get established they sold generic fantasy mini's for D&D before eventually deciding to do their own thing. (Cause Competitors were selling D&D now.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall reading that the Halflings were the Ogre prototype. They created something that was highly chaos resistant and now they just had to enlarge it and make it good at magic.

And so they got the best of all worlds. They were resistant to chaos like the Dwarves, good at magic and long lived like Elves, could breed about as fast as human, and as a bonus they could survive in nearly any climate and eat pretty much anything to sustain themselves. (I think if desperate, Ogre's can live eat dirt and rocks to live.) They had some hunger problems, but that could be fixed with culture and teaching. Then the Old Ones had to leave or whatever. And so never got to elevate the Ogres, who became a bunch of hungry mercenaries that never got to live up to their potential.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Siivola posted:

Hey, a quick non-update on For Gold & Glory! I just finished writing up the hireling chapter which means I'm done with the core rule chapters! Now all that remains is… Um. Almost 300 pages of appendices. :smith: I'm absolutely not going to go through all of the spells, monsters and magic items in the book, so are there any particular ones you'd like me to showcase?

Some monsters would be cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

marshmallow creep posted:

So is this something that's decided by the group as a whole or character by character, because it sounds like something that could make character growth increasingly divergent over a long game. I know a lot of people that just do "milestones" for their games because they can't be bothered to track XP values.

It's not so much xp that it makes a huge difference. Also xp works differently in that game. Namely that it's more of a currency that you spend on upgrades for your characters talents, skills and attributes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

the Dooming, whereby a young child is told what is likely to kill them at age 10 as an important part of their passage towards adulthood. If you're wondering if there's going to be a giant table of prophetic DOOOOOOMS you can roll for your human PC, you better believe there is! Up to and including the possibility that what the old priest saw was so horrible they had a heart attack and dropped dead on the spot, warnings about halfling pies, 'thy end shall be a sticky one', warnings that you might end up a vampire or undead, and all kinds of ominous and vague prophecy of doom. There's even mechanics for it, whereby a PC who is facing something that sounds even vaguely like their Doom and who is out of Fate can gain Fearless for a time as they realize and accept their likely incoming death.

Dooming has changed in 4e a bit. Namely that now it provides no benefit to your current character. Instead it encourages you to die in a way related to your dooming. Because if you did die in a way that relates your next character starts with half the XP earned by the last one.

Night10194 posted:

The main issue with Frenzy in WHFRP2e is that it isn't worth giving up a turn and 10 points of WS to enter it; thankfully it never made you target allies.

All they had to do was make it +1 Attacks, but you have to go for the nearest enemy, like in the TT game.

Which is pretty much what they did with 4e it looks like

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Night10194 posted:

That's kind of a dumb mechanic because having players with wildly unequal EXP in general is a bad idea in an RPG.

"You died, your new PC starts at lower level while the rest of the team are all Veterans or whatever." is only going to make players really unhappy.

To be fair I'm never entirely sure how 2e intended to deal with PC death because it doesn't codify it at all. You get weird notes like 'If you ascended to Daemon Prince your new PC will have 2 uses of Shallya's Mercy and start with more advances' in ToC and it's like...are you suggesting I drop a level 1 Marauder in among a bunch of advanced Chaos Champions, game? At the same time half the NPCs in Sigmar's Heirs say "This 2nd/3rd career NPC is a really good replacement PC if you've had recent casualties!" suggesting most groups would go for that, instead.

I've never actually had someone run entirely out of Fate so it's never come up.

Well there are not really levels in the game. So EXP diffrences don't make up too big a diffrence. Plus someone could be playing a begger while another character is a Knight. So there is a normally some disparity anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

I wonder if GW took a closer look at Tome of Salvation as they developed the writing for AoS2nd because a lot of the themes that are brought up here show in the newly updated lore but turned to 11 and embodied in Sigmar.

Yeah the Sigmarite entry really reminded me of this side section in the AoS Core book.

AoS Core Book posted:

Crime and Punishment
Sigmar’s tolerance for lawbreakers is famously low. Through lawlessness comes disorder, and that way lies Chaos.
It was not always this way, for Sigmar originally hailed from a tribe of barbarians who fought, loved and lived as they pleased. But with uncounted billions of souls looking to him for salvation over the aeons, his methods have become ever more extreme. Long ago, in allowing peoples from every realm to seek safe haven in Azyr, he also allowed an influx of hidden agents of Chaos to infect his city. Matters came to a head, and he descended in wrath, not only slaying every citizen who bore the mark of Chaos, but destroying all those who harbored hatred in their hearts. It was a statement of intent that few could ignore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He did not even leave an heir or a system to declare his successor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair you don't really have to worry too much about the big gods in the RPG's. Cause you will largely be fighting their cultists and Evil Viking followers rather then them. Their Deamons will pop up once in a while, but largely of servants of the cults as the Daemons don't tend to do many big plots.

The closest thing to nuh uh you did not win. Is the fact that other cult or more hell vikings will eventually come again. But it's not like the Chaos god are going to be coming down and saying that to you personally.

Like foiling a Nurgle plot to poison a town or summon a great unclean one in it, is a victory. The fact that Chaos will try to do so again does not make it less of a victory.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 8, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah, my point isn't 'by the setting as written, Chaos can be safely put aside' but rather 'Chaos sucks as an antagonist, and the only way to make Chaos interesting would be to shoot all four chaos gods in the kneecaps and hand the whole thing over to the hellvikings, who are fun.'

The Skaven, the Carsteins, the Athel Loren Helltrees, the Chaos Dwarfs, all of these would be great Industrial Age factions and antagonists. But there are precisely four characters in Chaos as written and they are all boring because they're too much the writers' pets. Kill the gods. Let Chaos have its four vague flavors, and then have it all be specific demons and cults. And also make mutation and corruption rarer so that it's not 'gently caress you for living near interesting things.' The list goes on.

Getting rid of the chaos gods won't make Chaos more interesting. And I don't even see how you guys think that it would. And I don't think you understand things too much if you think getting rid of them is better.

Chaos is fine as an antagonist. And there are much more then four characters in chaos. Also Chaos has like 7 or so flavors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Same 4e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love that Dwarf on Wood Elves quote.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ulthuan we know is going to be one of the first supplements for 4e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

If you want to change Careers entirely, you can spend 200 XP to move into the first tier of any career if you've completed your career, or 300 XP if you haven't. If the GM allows it, you can instead enter the Career at the same tier as the one you are leaving, as long as you've completed the one you're leaving. (There are limitations - you can't easily jump into Wizard at upper levels because the lower-tier Talents are actually required to make the class work.) It is also possible to change careers during downtime via endeavors; well get to those rules eventually.

Think you made a mistake here. It costs 100 XP to move to another career if it's in the same class, 200 if incomplete. Moving to a different career of an entirely different class costs 100 extra XP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

They add Cool and...Lore (Any) again? Whoops.

Don't think this is a mistake. Remember Lore (Any) just means you get to pick a lore. So having another just means you get to pick another lore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

To be fair to the Skaven, they also get the poo poo kicked out of them by each other, orks, and dwarves. It's all numbers that keep them going.

Added on the Skaven instinct is to be a huge coward. I remember a book were a gang of Skaven fought some Sewer Jacks and basically trampled over each other to get away once they faced more resistance then they expected, as they considered 20 to 1 to be fair odds, but once it became 15 to 1 it was every rat for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: Messenger, Pedlar, Road Warden

You skipped this set.